Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385916 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Steve Morse + Neal Morse + Mike Portnoy + Dave LaRue Project
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
I may be misremembering, but I think there actually was an "Us" out there somewhere, which was the reason the Neal Schon project of a few years ago ended up being "Planet Us."

Well if there is, they're not famous enough to have a wikipedia article, so I figured guys as famous as these could nab the name if no one else was using it. Although I think if it's just "Us" that's already "out there somewhere", they could get away with doing "U.S." instead, right?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
    WDD

Hey Mike see if you 'get' this one for a band name for the new project:

Martin Lane

Think about it...a ton of your music has been created around this name and this new chapter in your life post DT (for now) is where I truly think one of the best records you will ever do is being written.
    Plus it has a British sort of ambience to it like Pink Floyd's name. Even kind of Beatle-ish (Abbey Lane).
    Also its a name that could be prog....could be rock...could be alternative...could cover any type of music you do really.

I  know I know...i'm wasting my time posting band name ideas...if i was in your shoes why would I want to let a fan name a project i'm working on...surely a band name idea will pop up during your writing sessions with those guys and when ever in the history of bands has a musician let a fan suggest anything and they use it? Prolly fucking never!!! and yes its prolly cuz the ideas always sucked hahaha!!!
    Martin Lane sounds good to me but then again i'm biased cuz I came up with it...but then again I didn't come up with it...it's been right at the end of the driveway the whole time! I just happened to remember it cuz of all the good times I had there and the good time that's being had there right now!!!

Peace man...thanks for the updates and even bothering to post them...\m/

Actually, I LOVE this idea!!!
I will run it by the guys and see what they think....

MP

???

Who else here thinks that should NOT be the name?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »
I barely understood the post, but yeah, that should not be the name by any means.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
Wait, did MP acknowledge that name?!?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
Yes he did....

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Man, you really need to have brains to write a progressive rock album in 8 days, that's impressive.  :metal
Yes, but this isn't a prog rock album, so that's cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
Yeah, not digging that name. Hopefully the other guys veto it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
I'm not digging it either.  But then again, if the music ends up being good, I won't really care. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »
I'm not digging it either.  But then again, if the music ends up being good, I won't really care. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

I agree. But still, that name sounds like a lame pop star.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
Given that that's almost exactly how they wrote The Whirlwind, I am concerned.  

FTFY

I'll wait until I hear the music. It just seems a bit too good to be true.

rumborak
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:58:00 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
Given that that's almost exactly how they wrote The Whirlwind, I am concerned.  

FTFY

I'll wait until I hear the music. It just seems a bit too good to be true.

rumborak

Considering their credentials and experience, I really am not worried. Mike and Neal have been working together for over a decade, so they work very well. Steve and Dave have been in the Dregs for awhile, and while I don't know much about them or that band, I can only hope they work very well together as well.

Steve, Casey and Neal seem to be VERY capable singers and songwriters, particularly the latter two as they're the POP side of this band, good at writing shorter songs and ballads I'm sure. Dave and Mike have proven to be a powerhouse rhythm section before, so I'm not worried about that aspect.

And the fact that three of the members play guitar, two play keyboard/piano, and they can ALL sing (I think Dave does, does he?), I don't doubt this project to provide anything but very amazing music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2011, 12:46:46 PM »
Phone interview with Neal about his life and background, and also some information about the new project!

https://www.bravewords.com/news/153812

-Marc.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
I agree with everything -Marc has said in this thread.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
Considering their credentials and experience, I really am not worried. Mike and Neal have been working together for over a decade, so they work very well. Steve and Dave have been in the Dregs for awhile, and while I don't know much about them or that band, I can only hope they work very well together as well.

Steve, Casey and Neal seem to be VERY capable singers and songwriters, particularly the latter two as they're the POP side of this band, good at writing shorter songs and ballads I'm sure. Dave and Mike have proven to be a powerhouse rhythm section before, so I'm not worried about that aspect.

And the fact that three of the members play guitar, two play keyboard/piano, and they can ALL sing (I think Dave does, does he?), I don't doubt this project to provide anything but very amazing music.

Here's the thing for me: I have seen these kinds of calculations too many times in my life to know that you can't build a good music album like a lego kit. Chickenfoot, simply by its make-up, should have been absolutely awesome. And it was only lukewarm. Same with Transatlantic III, which I thought was disappointing.
So, when I see these "super groups" and then statements like "XYZ wrote 2 songs in one day!" and "I finished my drumming in 2 days!!", I get a bit anxious. I'd rather read a statement like "I threw away the first 10 takes because I didn't like it, and when I slept over it I had a really good idea.".

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
Here's the thing for me: I have seen these kinds of calculations too many times in my life to know that you can't build a good music album like a lego kit. Chickenfoot, simply by its make-up, should have been absolutely awesome. And it was only lukewarm.

You, Sir, are brilliant and insightful, and you have a keen ear for music.  I could not agree more.

Same with Transatlantic III, which I thought was disappointing.

You, Sir, are obviously high on something that has impaired both your hearing and judgment.  I could not agree less.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »

Here's the thing for me: I have seen these kinds of calculations too many times in my life to know that you can't build a good music album like a lego kit. Chickenfoot, simply by its make-up, should have been absolutely awesome. And it was only lukewarm. Same with Transatlantic III, which I thought was disappointing.
So, when I see these "super groups" and then statements like "XYZ wrote 2 songs in one day!" and "I finished my drumming in 2 days!!", I get a bit anxious. I'd rather read a statement like "I threw away the first 10 takes because I didn't like it, and when I slept over it I had a really good idea.".

rumborak

Perhaps Mike isn't telling us those sorts of statements because he only wants to share the exciting parts of his days with this band? And I think he did mention Steve or Neal "sleeping over" things and rushing to talk about music in the morning. Either way, I'm sure a LOT of work went into each song, and it seems like having SIX guys talk about it means there's a lot of input and sharing and suggestions, so when it gets down to it, they really put out what everyone thinks is best for the music. There may not be enough TIME for ten takes, but with guys as good as they are, they may  not NEED ten takes - maybe three or four - to decide what they like. Besides, this is still the WRITING stage, and not the recording stage.

Mike said in his last studio report that he will do all his PROPER drum tracks in the next few days before he heads off to NAMM, and I'm sure Neal will work out schedules with the other three guys to get their tracks done at his studio later on, or at their own studios on their own time, and have all the tracks emailed to the mixer(s), whoever they happen to be. While they've only had about 8-10 days together, they're not recording it all right now - just writing. They'll probably spend the next 2-3 months tweaking tracks, laying down proper guitars/pianos/keyboards, doing vocals, etc. etc., and probably spent another month or two mixing and mastering before all is said and done.

Also, the comparison to Chickenfoot is a bit off, IMO, as I think the dynamic in that band (without knowing a lot about them) is likely different than the dynamic presented here. It seems that on Chickenfoot's debut album, all the music was written by Hagar and Satriani, just half the band, while the others probably had little input. This band with both Morses and McPherson includes three experienced writers and two other musicians who work well with writers on arranging and offering plenty of suggestions, as well as a well-known and often-praised producer.

I think just knowing how consistently good these musicians are helps me believe that this "supergroup" will churn out an amazing album. I can only hope that it rises high above the likes of Chickenfoot, Them Crooked Vultures and Black Country Communion in recent years' rock supergroups.

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2011, 03:07:44 PM »
Rumborak: Finding flaws in anything and everything since 19...82...ish?

Point being, you gotta stop being such a pisser man. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
Nothing wrong with rumborak keeping some perspective.  Not everyone looking forward to this has to go in assuming that it will be the greatest thing ever, ya know.  In fact, keeping expectations on an even keel makes being disappointed by it a lot less likely to happen.

And while his excitement over this project is understandable, especially given everything that has transpired over the last four or five months, his daily updates once again show that Mike Portnoy is the biggest self-promoter in music today.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
Nothing wrong with rumborak keeping some perspective.  Not everyone looking forward to this has to go in assuming that it will be the greatest thing ever, ya know.  In fact, keeping expectations on an even keel makes being disappointed by it a lot less likely to happen.

And while his excitement over this project is understandable, especially given everything that has transpired over the last four or five months, his daily updates once again show that Mike Portnoy is the biggest self-promoter in music today.

I actually agree with Nick here!

When was the last time you just said, "ZOMG THAT PWNED!!!" rumby? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with rumborak keeping some perspective.  Not everyone looking forward to this has to go in assuming that it will be the greatest thing ever, ya know.  In fact, keeping expectations on an even keel makes being disappointed by it a lot less likely to happen.

This, exactly. Everybody is so excited in this thread, it just doesn't strike me as realistic, especially when everything is on such a tight schedule.

While they've only had about 8-10 days together, they're not recording it all right now - just writing.

Maybe I'm totally off-base here, but since when has 8-10 days become a normal time frame for writing an album?

rumborak
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:43:57 PM by rumborak »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
Maybe I'm totally off-base here, but since when has 8-10 days become a normal time frame for writing an album?

rumborak

Since the album involves Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse. :lol

-Marc.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »
And what's why I'm saying I'm keeping my expectations moderate. Because it involves Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse, who both have a propensity to just turn the crank.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »
I've not seen that propensity, especially when the two of them are involved in something together.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
And what's why I'm saying I'm keeping my expectations moderate. Because it involves Mike Portnoy and Neal Morse, who both have a propensity to just turn the crank.

rumborak

True, but pretty much everything those two have done together before this were with the same people (Randy George on Neal's solo albums, and Transatlantic with Roine and Pete). With the addition of three new players into the fold, I think we'll get something more than anything we've heard from the Morse/Portnoy pair before. I just feel that we can at least expect something fresh and new - whether or not you (or anyone here) will like it, that's different because *I* happen to LOVE The Whirlwind.

-Marc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
Here's the thing for me: I have seen these kinds of calculations too many times in my life to know that you can't build a good music album like a lego kit. Chickenfoot, simply by its make-up, should have been absolutely awesome. And it was only lukewarm.

You, Sir, are brilliant and insightful, and you have a keen ear for music.  I could not agree more.

Same with Transatlantic III, which I thought was disappointing.

You, Sir, are obviously high on something that has impaired both your hearing and judgment.  I could not agree less.
:lol Nice.

Not everyone looking forward to this has to go in assuming that it will be the greatest thing ever, ya know.
There's a world of difference between being absurdly excited about it and assuming it is going to be amazing. As far as I can tell, nobody has assumed a single thing in this thread; a lot of us are just very excited about the upside potential of it being incredible, rather than dwelling on the downside risk of it being disappointing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »
I probably look like a grumpy old goat in this thread because I don't tend to get excited about potential music :lol I wish I did!

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
No, you look like a grumpy old goat in this thread because you have a grumpy old goat as your avatar.  Just sayin'.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2011, 04:54:55 PM »
That's just correlation. Or something.

I think I'll give Whirlwind a spin again. Who knows, maybe it'll click more.

rumborak

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
That's just correlation. Or something.

I think I'll give Whirlwind a spin again. Who knows, maybe it'll click more.

rumborak

One thing to keep in mind: as with their first two albums, don't take it too seriously. There is of course serious stuff in there, but there also parts that are a bit of fun overblown prog. If you're in the right frame of mind, then I can't imagine seeing the album vastly differently to the first two.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
Just listened to the phone interview...great interview.  I wasn't too excited at first, but it looks like 2011 is gonna be a great year with a new DT, a new NM, the MMPLM album, and potentially a new TA album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
Rumby, you are the only person I know who disliked The Whirlwind.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »
potentially a new TA album.

Source? As far as I know there are no plans for such an album.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »
Rumby, you are the only person I know who disliked The Whirlwind.

Ban him, now.