Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385692 times)

Offline j

Re: Steve Morse + Neal Morse + Mike Portnoy + Dave LaRue Project
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
Not familiar with Alpha Rev, but I'm pumped for this based on Portnoy's updates.

-J

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
I need to check out the other guys' bands!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »
I'm tempted to do the same, but Dave LaRue is the only one I'm not really familiar with, so I'm gonna hold off and let the music surprise me when it comes out.  It sounds like it's gonna be some cool stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:12 AM »
Day #7

Today was a half day as I had an in-store appearance in the afternoon...(thanks to all the fans that came out to say hi!)

And even with a half day, we still managed to bang out 2 more songs!!
It's unbelievable the pace that 5 very creative and focused minds can work at...

The first song we worked on tonight was another one that stemmed from Neal & Steve's writing pow-wow last year...of course, once we jammed on it a bit, it inevitably went to some new and exciting places and inspired some new sections.

This one probably has the most Dreg-ish feel of any of the tunes on the album...and even has a bit of a country-jam breakdown...which of course is some new territory for me! (and that's awesome...)

I encouraged Neal to sing the verses on this one as Casey is doing so much singing and I really wanted to have Neal sing lead on at least a few sections...we even tried me doing some lead singing on the B-section, but I bowed out as it didnt feel like the right part for me...

The next song (song #10 already...wow!) is something that Neal presented as a possible different song for me to sing lead on...he pictured it as my "With A Little Help From My Friends"...I may give it a whirl once we start doing our real tracks, but in the meantime I'm leaving the lead vox on this one in his more than capable hands!

And Casey sings the most insane, bluesy Chris Cornell-type vocal on the Bridge of this one (over a new section that Steve came up with...)

Once again, the feel of this song is uncharted territory for me (which I LOVE) and I'm getting to play a super solid swinging backbeat...almost a 50's do-wop, meets gospel type vibe....but in a Ben Fold Five meets Faith No More (ala Edge Of The World or I'm Easy) way....

The musical range and diversity on this album is absolutely ridiclous...it's like a musical melting pot!!!

I joked to the guys a few days ago that each of us individually has a certain musical stereotype...like Neal is the Prog Guy, Casey is the Pop Guy, Dave is the Jazz Guy, Steve is the Country Guy and I'm the Metal Guy.....now of course, that is VERY limiting and not neccessarily true as ALL of us all go so many places musically, but the point was that even with all of our different backgrounds and styles, we have come together to make MUSIC that is UNIVERSAL because we ALL love so many different things...

And when you hear this album, you will be taken on the same journey....every song is a whole unique and fresh experience down a whole different road from the previous song...from rock to jazz to prog to bluegrass to funk to alternative to pop and everything in between!!!

If you are simply an unprejudice, open minded and open eared MUSIC LOVER, you are going to love this album!

Just like I do!
MP

Offline Ħ

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
Great to see that Neal is gonna be singing a bit.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:48 AM »
Every one of MP's posts about this thing make me want it more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »
Is there any chance this album is coming out tomorrow???? The thought of having to wait for months for it to come out is making me crazy!! I want it all and I want it now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2011, 06:43:37 AM »
What if this album and DT11 end up being really good?  From a musical standpoint, isn't MP leaving DT the best thing that could have happened?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »
What if this album and DT11 end up being really good?  From a musical standpoint, isn't MP leaving DT the best thing that could have happened?

If that is the case, yes it is.  I agree with Hef though, MP is doing a very good job of making people excited for this even though we probably won't see it till near the end of the year!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »

If that is the case, yes it is.  I agree with Hef though, MP is doing a very good job of making people excited for this even though we probably won't see it till near the end of the year!

That's quite possible. I don't think Neal will work on it at home as he has to do work on Testimony 2 once these sessions are over (he plans to get that album out in May!). I have to wonder who will take the album and mix and master it and how long it will take to do proper tracks and overdubs. I'm hoping for a mid-to-late summer release myself, just long enough between the release of Testimony 2 and this album for Neal and Mike to do a tour for Testimony!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
Update from NEAL!!!

Hello,

First of all, my apologies for not posting much of anything about this project until now. I have been really busy with getting the studio ready for this extravaganza and now the project itself. Enough excuses...

Well, it is now Day 8 of project that I am calling MMPLM (our initials) for short. As I write Steve is fixing his parts and a really cool shreddy bit in a song that sounds a bit like Muse meets Yngwie. Really cool and different for me. We have now recorded 11 songs of varying styles and lengths; from rockin' short songs to beautiful slow songs to proggy longer pieces.

I read that many of you are wondering about Casey. Wow. What a talent. His voice is so expressive and ....well, just beautiful and filled with emotion. He is also one of the best songwriters I've ever worked with, and plays really cool stuff as well.

It's been an amazing week...what a great bunch of guys! It's been fun and exhilarating musically and personally.

We all hope you enjoy this recording as much as we are enjoying making it.

May you be blessed,

Neal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »
Muse meets Yngwie?

Go on...

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
Yay, we get some Proggy stuff!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
Really excited about this project after reading the updates. I also checked out Alpha Rev this afternoon and the first impression was a good one :tup Can anyone recommend a first Dregs album to give a spin?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »
Muse meets Yngwie?

Go on...
That's actually the least exciting thing I've read so far, as I'm not a fan of either of them.

Overall, I really, really like the sounds of this project, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
Can anyone recommend a first Dregs album to give a spin?
My favorite is their second album, Free Fall.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
MMPLM

Marco Minnemann play like Myung?

Man, I cannot wait to hear this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
Sounds good so far. Only thing that concerns me is the rate at which they do stuff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Maybe since they're incorporating so many different genres, the name of the project will be called:

Transgenreriffic

:neverusethis:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
Sounds good so far. Only thing that concerns me is the rate at which they do stuff.

rumborak

What do you mean?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2011, 11:07:41 PM »
You know what I just realized, guys? Who guested on DT's last album?

Jerry Goodman - 1/4th of the current line-up for The Dixie Dregs. I wonder if having Jerry on BC&SL sparked ANY interest in both John Myung and Mike Portnoy playing with other Dixie Dregs members?

JMX is to release The Jelly Jam's third album which features The Dixie Dregs' drummer Rod Morgenstein.

MP is working on an album with Steve Morse and Dave LaRue, the guitarist and bassist of The Dixie Dregs.

And of course, Jordan Rudess once filled in on keys for them, and even did a project with Rod, as well as have him play on two albums. Two of JR's albums also featured Steve Morse guitar solos, and Dave LaRue on bass for the whole album (Rhythm Of Time).

It's amazing how many ways these two bands have come to interact with each other, especially recently. Now all we need is an album with Jordan Rudess and Jerry Goodman. Piano and violin? I'd be all for it!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:09:44 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
That reads like some prog incest right there.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »
That reads like some prog incest right there.

:lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »
Day #8

As the session began, we determined that as we only have 2 more day together, we should write one more song and then spend the rest of time reviewing everything and making any last changes needed...

We dive into what becomes the 11th and final song...a real barn-burner that is a true Steve Morse/Dave LaRue/Mike Portnoy shred-fest (Neal and Casey were pushing us to write something like this, and as the saying goes: "Be careful what you wish for"!)   

Musically it's very Yngwie meets LTE but with a Muse-ish harmonic and melodic edge....I think this song is the last remaining "missing ingredient" to an album that is a very well balanced musical meal!

We then begin the process of listening down to all the songs one at a time and addressing any last changes we'd like to make to the arrangements, chord progressions, instrument orchestrations, vocal melodies, etc.

Tonight and tomorrow will have us finishing up this last stage with the songwriting and arranging, doing a photo session and some video interviews, kicking around band names and then wrapping up our time together.... 

I will then spend the rest of the week doing my proper drum tracks before leaving for NAMM on Friday morning....and as there wont be much to report with my drum tracking, this will be my last studio report....

It's been an amazing experience with amazing guys and amazing musicians....I cannot wait to see how the album continues to develop over the coming weeks and months and hopefully we will have more info for you all soon concerning its release.

Thanks for reading...and thanks for supporting me in all my musical (ad)ventures! You guys are my REAL fans and I know you are behind me and my decisions and that means the world to me...I will continue to raise the bar and work my ass off for you all!   

Carpe Diem,
MP
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2011, 02:43:21 AM »
This really is sounding like such great stuff! A shred-fest in itself doesn't sound all that exciting, but as a solitary track on an 11-song album, it could be a great way to show off the players' chops, particularly SM!

@Rumbo: I know what you mean, but I remain hopeful that they've managed to put together something that doesn't sound rushed. I'm fairly optimistic about it, especially considering a few of the songs are based around ideas that the Morses worked on months ago, and it sounds like a lot of the riffs and ideas are things that people have had in their head for a while.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2011, 03:40:59 AM »
This album sounds great! Steve Morse is my hero, not just as a player but as an unbelievable writer of music, it'll be great to hear him play with Mike. I like Neal's music too, Dave LaRue is excellent of course, never heard of the Alpha Red guy, so that should be an entertaining unknown quantity - I anticipate this album hugely!  ;D

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2011, 05:40:10 AM »
Sounds somekind like Yngwe??!

SOLD!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2011, 08:03:43 AM »

Agreed.  It's great that they can crank out so much material so quickly, but I for one can't help but wonder what the quality is like.  If I understand your post, that is.  I mean, heck, my friends and I can hole up in the basement and create an album in a week, as long as no one's concerned about how good it is.

The first Liquid Tension Experiment album was smacked together very quickly, and I think the results were amazing.  Also, part of the point was to keep things very spontaneous and not rework or overdub things to death.  If we're talking about that kind of output, I'm excited as hell.  But some bands put out albums where you listen and just think maybe they should have taken a little more time with it.

I'm not saying that that's the case here, but... we don't know.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:57 AM »
OK, I haven't been following for a while, so I have to ask - did they REALLY write the album in eight days? Or am I just plain stupid.  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
Given that that's almost exactly how they wrote The Whirlwind, I'm not concerned.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
Morse and Morse apparently did some demo's a couple of months ago, and all the other brought some pieces in too.

But yeah, it looks like they actually wrote the thing in 8 days. And I'm not concerned either.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »
I'm not concerned. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »
Man, you really need to have brains to write a progressive rock album in 8 days, that's impressive.  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2011, 09:27:10 AM »
I don't recall where I read it, but I agree that a GREAT band name for this project would be US or U.S., a sort of spin on U.K., which itself was a super-group of sorts, and sort of stands for the fact that every one in the band is from the United States, and it really is all about them (or US from their point of view).

And as far as I know, there is no (famous/well-known) band named US or U.S., so it could be up for grabs!

Also, it would be a fun way to distinguish this band from Mike and Neal's other band, Transatlantic! Then all we'd need is Roine Stolt and Pete Trewavas doing their own band with two or three more Europeans...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:38:27 AM by The Letter M »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »
I may be misremembering, but I think there actually was an "Us" out there somewhere, which was the reason the Neal Schon project of a few years ago ended up being "Planet Us."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."