Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70571 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Roses on White Lace is top three favorite Cooper songs for me.  Checked out that tour on youtube and he plays a killer rendition of it.  It might seem cheesy, but I love "He's back (Man Behind the Mask) from Constrictor.
Roses is probably Top 5, now that I think about it. I saw the tour and it was so cool when he did the Gail Trilogy.

He's Back is cheesy..but Constrictor is actually a damn good album. Alice came back very motivated in the mid 80's.

Hey TAC I love those two song you don't like. I was an 80s Hair Metal (God I hate that term) child though. If Bon Jovi had done Burning Our Bed or Love's A Loaded Gun they would have been huge.
:lol
Burning Our Bed has to be one of the all time worst Alice songs. You're right though, it would've made a much better Bon Jovi song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Listened to School's Out. Thoroughly unimpressed but I am very critical of albums after the first listen but I really did not like this one. School's Out is a hit for a reason and after that Public Animal #9 and Alma Matter are the only ones I would consider ok.

And TAC, You Gotta Dance is Alice's worst song, at least from what I've heard.

TAC, what do you think of Brutal Planet? I love it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well sorry to hear that about School's Out. Give it some time. I wasn't crazy about it at first. I really find it's a 1972 album with no boundries really. I'm glad to hear you mention Alma Mater. That's a great song. Very cool.
My personal fave on School's Out is Blue Turk.  Give Looney Tune another spin. It contains one of my favorite Alice vocals from any album. Another hidden gem is My Stars. I just find it very original. Alice sounds great on this, in my opinion.

You're right..considering what you've heard, You Gotta Dance is awful..I agree.

As far as Brutal Planet..I'm not in love with it. First off, I love Sanctuary. Probably a Top 20 Alice track for me. I also love Cold Machines. The chorus is great on that. After that, I like, It's The Little Things and Pick Up The Bones. I cannot stand the title track, and the rest is just ok. Wicked Young Man is also not bad. But to me, it's 50/50. I'm not surprised that you like that one. It is by far his heaviest album. If you like that, you might like Dragontown. It came right after Brutal Planet and is they are generally regarded as sister albums. Personally, I think Dragontown is terrible.
You also might want to check out Brutally Live. It's a DVD from that tour. It's outstanding.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
I haven't heard School's Out, but maybe it's one of those albums you find soooo boring the first 2 or 3 times you hear it. Then you go back to it after like 5 months and then it's awesome. That happened with me, Miles Davis' In A Silent Way.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
TAC, as you said, its heavy. So I am bound to dig it. I LOVE the title track and Take It Like A Woman is probably is best song song. (To me, it even might beat out Only Women Bleed.) The only songs I don't find to be good to amazing are Blow Me a Kiss and The Little Things. Once I am done with Hey Stoopid and I give School's Out a few good listens, I will listen to one old album, one new. I know I need Billion Dollar Babies and because you said Dragontown was like Brutal Planet, I might have to check that one out too...though I think Trash might be worth it as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When Trash came out, I loved it.  Just  remember it's done with Desmond Child and has a distinct late 80's hair metal vibe to it. Also there's tons of sexual innuendo cliche shit too, which to me, caused it to not age that great.  My favorite track is Why Trust You, which is also a Top 20 Alice track for me. But you'll hear Jon Bon Jovi on the title track, as well as Seteven Tyler on Only My Heart Talking. Lots of cool shit on this album.

You're doing it right going old and new. I'd be careful to enter the mid career era from Lace And Whiskey (1977) through Da Da (1983). Not until you're ready, even though that era is riddled with great songs, just not strong albums.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Oh, I know about his middle career stuff being his weekest...I know I am looking way into the future here but I think, after listening to Hey Stoopid and School's Out enough times to get a good grip on the music, I will go...

Billion Dollar Babies and Trash
Love it to Death and Dragontown
Muscle of Love and Dirty Diamonds.

Also, Welcome To My Nightmare 2 is coming out this year and I'm pumped for that.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Listening to Hey Stoopid...sorry TAC, Love is a Loaded Gun is a pretty damn good song. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh well..I do love that album.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Burning Our Bed was pretty cool too. I have no problem with the occasional power ballad. I just hated the cheesy Hair Metal ones. That was one of the worst genre of metal to have ever come out of the entire Heavy Metal genre.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I seriously cannot even listen to that song! Yuck!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I dug it. So far, I am really digging this album. Just finished Feed My Frankenstein.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I dug it. So far, I am really digging this album. Just finished Feed My Frankenstein.
Can't go wrong with Joe Satriani and Steve Vai playing in the same songs.

Next up! Hurricane Years..cool song!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Great album. Ending with Wind Up Toy was awesome, and I have to say, any and every spoken part in any and every Alice album creeps me the fuck out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wind Up Toy is awesome. A Top 10 Alice song for me. Just love it. My other fave is Dangerous Tonight. I have fond memories screaming it out at the top of my lungs while driving.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I think my next album will be Dragontown just because I am in the mood for some :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
First track, Triggerman kicks total ass..the rest..well enjoy...I hate it! :D

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
:lol

Will report back later.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
DADDY WON'T DISCUSS ME!!!
WHAT I SIGHT I MUST BE!!!

:metal

Soon becoming one of my favorites.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
DADDY WON'T DISCUSS ME!!!
WHAT I SIGHT I MUST BE!!!

:metal

Soon becoming one of my favorites.

It's one of mine! A great song!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
So far, I have listened to 7 Alice Cooper albums and here are the rankings so far:

Welcome to My Nightmare
Brutal Planet
Hey Stoopid
Killer
Goes to Hell
Along Came a Spider
School's Out

One and two and four and five are incredibly close, and I would say I find all but the last album to be really good. School's Out just did not click at all.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Dragontown is to Brutal Planet as Re-Load is to Load

Sounds like a crappy "part 2" version of the first fucking awesome album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Black Widow is an awesome song. I must listen to it asap.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

Burning Our Bed was pretty cool too. I have no problem with the occasional power ballad. I just hated the cheesy Hair Metal ones. That was one of the worst genre of metal to have ever come out of the entire Heavy Metal genre.

Hey you just insulted 90% of my cd collection there lol  :facepalm:

Listening to one of my faves now, From The Inside. Overlooked classic. Milly & Billie is awesome!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Listening to one of my faves now, From The Inside. Overlooked classic. Milly & Billie is awesome!
" You with your pick axe and scissors....
...and you with your shovel and gun"

"I guess love makes you do funny things"

Offline Lowdz

" You with your pick axe and scissors....
...and you with your shovel and gun"

"I guess love makes you do funny things"

made me lol first time I heard it.

"And I liked your late husband Donald
But such torture his memory brings
All tied up and sealed tight in baggies...
Guess love makes you do funny things"
All done in a happy love song duet. Genius.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My favorite song from that album is The Quiet Room.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
So, Dragontown was ok. I might need to listen to it some more to get more into it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I liked you ReLoad analogy.

After Triggerman, there's nothing I care to hear on that album, except for maybe Disgraceland.

Offline Lowdz

My favorite song from that album is The Quiet Room.

As I said earler in the thread, nobody does ballads like Alice. That and how You Gonna See Me Now are great songs. I am a psychiatric nurse so the subject matter is close to my heart.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

I was afraid you were not going to pick up on it. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I was afraid you were not going to pick up on it. :lol
Well it's the perfect analogy. An album where only half the songs are good, followed by an album with only one good song.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Not so much. :P Load is fucking awesome, as is Brutal Planet.

Picked up my copy of Welcome to My Nightmare today!! :metal

While I was there, I also picked up Live at Montreux which seems fucking awesome.

Set:

"Department of Youth"
"No More Mr. Nice Guy"
"Dirty Diamonds"
"Billion Dollar Babies"
"Be My Lover"
"Lost in America"
"I Never Cry"
"Woman of Mass Distraction"
"I'm Eighteen"
"Between High School and The Old School"
"What Do You Want From Me?"
"Is it My Body?"
"Go to Hell"
"The Black Widow(instrumental)
"Drum Solo"
"Gimme"
"Feed My Frankenstein"
"Welcome To My Nightmare"
"The Awakening"
"Steven"
"Only Women Bleed"
"Ballad of Dwight Fry"
"Killer"
"I Love the Dead"
"School's Out"
"Poison"
"Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills"
"Under My Wheels"

Tac, I know you have to have it, so, how is it?

edit: Looking back, I am wondering if I should have ordered Brutally Live instead of being impatient and just getting the DVD in the store. The set has more Brutal Planet stuff which is cool.

Brutally Live and the one I got both have:

"No More Mr. Nice Guy"
"Billion Dollar Babies"
"I'm Eighteen"
"Go to Hell"
"Gimme"
"Feed My Frankenstein"
"Only Women Bleed"
"Ballad of Dwight Fry"
"I Love the Dead"
"School's Out"
"Poison"
"Under My Wheels"

Brutally Live has:

"Brutal Planet" (Alice Cooper, Bob Marlette) - 4:52
"Blow Me a Kiss" (Alice Cooper, Bob Marlette, Bob Ezrin) - 3:06
"Pick Up the Bones" (Alice Cooper, Bob Marlette) - 4:54
"Wicked Young Man" (Alice Cooper, Bob Marlette) - 3:32
"Dead Babies" (Alice Cooper, Michael Bruce, Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith) - 3:28
"The Black Widow" (Alice Cooper, Dick Wagner, Bob Ezrin) - 3:14
"It's Hot Tonight" (Alice Cooper, Dick Wagner, Bob Ezrin) - 2:46
"Caught in a Dream" (Michael Bruce) - 2:28
"It's the Little Things" (Alice Cooper, Bob Marlette) - 5:15
"Take It Like a Woman" (Alice Cooper, Bob Marlette) - 2:37
"You Drive Me Nervous" (Alice Cooper, Michael Bruce, Bob Ezrin) - 2:23
"My Generation" (Pete Townshend) - 1:28
"Elected" (Alice Cooper, Michael Bruce, Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Bob Ezrin) - 4:49

while the one I got has:

"Department of Youth"
"Dirty Diamonds"
"Be My Lover"
"Lost in America"
"I Never Cry"
"Woman of Mass Distraction"
"Between High School and The Old School"
"What Do You Want From Me?"
"Is it My Body?"
"The Black Widow(instrumental)
"Welcome To My Nightmare"
"The Awakening"
"Steven"
"Killer"
"Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills"

It sucks that Brutally Live has Brutal Planet, Wicked Young Man, Pick Up The Bones, The Black Widow, Dead Babies, Take it like a Woman, and Elected. But the one I got has Department of Youth, Dirty Diamonds, Be My Lover, I Never Cry, Is It My Body, Welcome to My Nightmare and Killer, and what really is evening it out for me is the one I got has my favorite Alice song ever, Steven. I think the next DVD I get though will be Brutally Live because I watched some of the DVD on youtube and it was awesome! :metal
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:20:20 PM by 73109 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well I already recommended Brutally Live to you. Live In Montreaux is very cool. The band playing on a nice clean stage.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
So there are no theatrics?

That is so not Alice Cooper.