Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70587 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
What a failure, this still hasn't gone to a second page yet?

In Mustaine's A Life In Metal, he states that Alice tried to straighten him up on his drug addiction. Of course, Dave didn't care but he knew that he couldn't stop and Alice was not on the wrong foot about any of it. He thinks of him as his Godfather. That's fuckin' cool.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
In about a week, Welcome to My Nightmare will be mine!! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

In Mustaine's A Life In Metal, he states that Alice tried to straighten him up on his drug addiction. Of course, Dave didn't care but he knew that he couldn't stop and Alice was not on the wrong foot about any of it. He thinks of him as his Godfather. That's fuckin' cool.

The Alice Cooper influence in Megadeth is so crystal clear to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Listening to Goes To Hell tonight. Diggin the first song. :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to Goes To Hell tonight. Diggin the first song. :D
Skip the second one.
Seriously that's a great album. I'm The Coolest is so...cool.
Also, Tony Levin is all over this album.

..and tell me the very end of I'm Going Home does not remind you of the end of the Razor's Edge section of Octavarium. It hit me the first time I heard it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Yeah...that second one was pitiful. I'm the coolest did not seem that cool TBH, but an album could always use more than one listen.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Final first verdict is...6.5/10

Go To Hell was awesome. By far the best song on the album. I Never Cry and Give The Kid a Break were good. Didn't We Meet, Guilty, Wish You Were Here and Going Home were all ok. The rest were meh and You Gotta Dance was the worst Alice Cooper song I have ever heard by a long shot.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
TRIPLE POST!

Killer's is much better on the second listen. I love short albums. I tend to feel overwhelmed with long ones and 8 songs is nice and short and easily digestible. This album is kickass. I knew the first half of the album just from knowing the "hits" and the second half is not lackluster at all. You Drive Me Nervous and Yeah Yeah Yeah are ok at the moment and I can feel they will grow on me. Dead Babies is AWESOME!! That chorus is sick, and Killer is a badass song as well.

edit: I also have been listening to the remastered version of WTMN...should I be listening to the original?

Offline Lowdz

First Alice album I had was the live Alice Cooper Show and I loved that. I Never Cry, You and Me, Only Women Bleed.
Alice does great ballads.

I really enjoyed the Fistful of Alice live album too. Desperado rules. And Alice Cooper trashes the World is excellent as someone said. I'm certainly more of an 80s/early 90s Alice fan, mainly because of the dated sound of those 70s albums rather than the song quality.

Last Temptation was the last album I enjoyed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TRIPLE POST!

Killer's is much better on the second listen. I love short albums. I tend to feel overwhelmed with long ones and 8 songs is nice and short and easily digestible. This album is kickass. I knew the first half of the album just from knowing the "hits" and the second half is not lackluster at all. You Drive Me Nervous and Yeah Yeah Yeah are ok at the moment and I can feel they will grow on me. Dead Babies is AWESOME!! That chorus is sick, and Killer is a badass song as well.

edit: I also have been listening to the remastered version of WTMN...should I be listening to the original?

That's great.
I do love I'm The Coolest, though. I think it's hilarious. I'm Going Home is probably my fave on the album, but after that I'd take Give The Kid A Break and Didn't We Meet. The title track is very cool and still a live staple. You Gotta Dance..I've never liked that song. I'm not sure WTF he was doing there.

BTW, I always skip Nervous and Yeah when I listen to Killers. You're not alone there.

Numbers, you should try and find a copy of The Nightmare Returns DVD. That video is what got me into Alice in the fist place when it came out. They do great metal versions of WTMN, Go To Hell, Dwight Fly.. I recommend it much more than Trashes The World, which was a GREAT tour/show, but I hate the video. It's edited with nice footage, but goes slow motion and black & white at times, and I find that very distracting.

Offline Mladen

Some pretty cool music out there by Alice Cooper, although I haven't heard all of it. I listened to some early material and the stuff from the early 80s, and I enjoyed most of it. Some great albums: School's out, Love it to death, Killer, DaDa... I need to hear more when I have time.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I have School's Out, Hey Stoopid, and Along Came a Spider before I go on and see if I want more. Judging by what I have heard so far, I probably will, so I think I will go back to Early Alice Cooper days and also go to the early 2000's. Brutal Planet sounds like a kickass record.

It is very intimidating trying to get into a band with a massive discography under his belt so this is a pretty cool journey. I am on a mission to get into has many bands as possible this year and Alice is one of the first three I am trying. All 3 are working out, but the thing is, the other 2 only have 4 albums a piece to check out, so Alice is a lot harder to do...but it makes it more fun! :D :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alice has a huge and diverse discography. Not as diverse as Zappa or Bowie, but along those lines. It's tough to find a jumping in point, but you've made some good choices

School's Out is tremendous. Don't forget, this was 1972! This band were brilliant songwriters. The title track doesn't come close to scratching the surface.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
MY Best Alice abums...

Killer
Love It To Death
Billion Dollar Babies
Schools Out
Welcome To My Nightmare

Not really in order. These are my personal favorites. There are a few others I like but these are tops.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Alice has a huge and diverse discography. Not as diverse as Zappa or Bowie, but along those lines. It's tough to find a jumping in point, but you've made some good choices

School's Out is tremendous. Don't forget, this was 1972! This band were brilliant songwriters. The title track doesn't come close to scratching the surface.

You mentioned Bowie and that is funny because he is also one person I want to get into this year. Same with Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton. Both guys have over 30 albums so finding the right starting place will be hard. I also want to get more into Steve Miller, Tom Petty, Jethro Tull, Heart, Elton John, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Seger who have discographies in the high teens. I know all of the hits by these dudes but I have found, while the hits are awesome, the true beauty of the music is in the cuts. And that is not even half my list. :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Numbers, hey! I think it's about time you change the version of this thread considering we are on 2 pages lol. Unless it's more humorous that way heh.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Eh. I was just saying that I thought it would crash and burn and die before it got a chance to go anyways and end up being in the DTF abyss...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Back in the 70's, I had a friend who was a big fan.  One thing we noticed while looking at the pictures inside the album was that there was a name under every picture except the singer.  To our drug-addled minds, this seemed to fit with what we'd heard, that "Alice Cooper" was the name of the band, not the person.  We decided that the band was those four guys, and the singer didn't have a name, which we thought was really fucking cool, even if we were way off base.

It also seemed to fit with the line "She asked me why the singer's name was Alice.  I said 'Listen baby, you really wouldn't understand.'"  It was more complicated than that.

But naturally the idea that "Alice Cooper" was the band and not the person didn't work for most people.  Too meta, too weird.  So the previously unnamed singer (nee Vincent Furnier) became Alice Cooper, and when the band broke up, he went solo and called himself Alice Cooper.  That's how we always understood it, anyway.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Alice Cooper puts on an amazing live show.  I don't have all of his albums but gotta say "Raise your fist and yell" is one of my favorite 80's metal albums.  Just bought his boxset "The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper"; lots of rare and unreleased tracks

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Eh. I was just saying that I thought it would crash and burn and die before it got a chance to go anyways and end up being in the DTF abyss...

Ah k. I thought it meant it will get many posts in no time that it will go to page 2. It's cool, however.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
VENGEANCE IS MINE
VENGEANCE IS MINE, MINE, MINE
TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE
BUT VENGEANCE IS MINE

:metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Finished Along Came A Spider. Pretty damn cool. I think it was an overall dark, creepy, cool album. I think though, the who album was greater than the sum of its parts and is an album that needs to be listened to as a whole. My next album was going to be School's Out but I could not resist the brutal awesomeness that I heard Brutal Planet is.

Offline Lowdz

Alice Cooper puts on an amazing live show.  I don't have all of his albums but gotta say "Raise your fist and yell" is one of my favorite 80's metal albums.  Just bought his boxset "The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper"; lots of rare and unreleased tracks

Listened to this the other day and it stands up. I love the serial killer on the prowl... "She had an anklet with a name. It spelt M-A-R-Y... Jane!!"

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Brutal Planet is a killer album based on the first 2 listens.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I think this thread is more a documentary of my discovering of Alice the band and Alice the solo artist with a commentary from you guys. So, I ask that you please ignore the possible triple posts and stuff of that nature.

Now, being the metal head that I am, I love the heavy. So, I can say now that Brutal Planet is the second best album that I have heard from Alice as a band or a single artist. Almost all of the songs are badass. I think he wrote Pessi Mystic from reading my mind in the future :lol and it is just a fucking kickass album. WTMN is just my favorite because I have a soft spot for concept albums about fucked up people. I gave Along Came A Spider a listen 2 days ago too and it was pretty good. So far, I would rate the Alice albums I know like this:

Welcome to My Nightmare
Brutal Planet
Killer
Goes To Hell
Along Came a Spider

but no albums are bad by any case. All 7.5/+ albums with the top 2 being 10 and 9 point something respectively.

TAC told me to listen to Hey Stoopid and School's Out so they shall be next and after that, I think I will go one newer album and one older album until I am satisfied.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Trying Hey Stoopid now.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
HEY STOOPEHHHHD
How good is the song Feed My Frankenstein?

FEEEEEEEEED MAAAAHHHH
(:metal)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I was not paying attention to the record to be honest. I needed a change.

Offline Lowdz

HS is my favourite but I always start at track 2. Some great guitar playing from Stef Burns amongst the guests. Vinnie Moore's solos are excellent.
And the fade out used to creep me out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I love Hey Stoopid. It's one of my favorite Alice albums. Burning Our Bed has to be one of the worst Alice songs though..same for Love's A Loaded Gun.
My favorite tracks are:
Wind Up Toy
Dangerous Tonight
Hurricane Years
Die For You
Might As Well Be On Mars

Really a great album.

Alice Cooper puts on an amazing live show.  I don't have all of his albums but gotta say "Raise your fist and yell" is one of my favorite 80's metal albums. 
Listened to this the other day and it stands up. I love the serial killer on the prowl... "She had an anklet with a name. It spelt M-A-R-Y... Jane!!"

This! Numbers, you might really like Raise Your Fist And Yell. Gail (really freaking creepy) and Roses On White Lace are incredible. Roses is a Top 10 Alice song for me.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I'll probably listen to all of Hey Stoopid tonight. It depends on how my studying for my trig final goes.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Boy you need Billion Dollar Babies if ya ain't got it.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Roses on White Lace is top three favorite Cooper songs for me.  Checked out that tour on youtube and he plays a killer rendition of it.  It might seem cheesy, but I love "He's back (Man Behind the Mask) from Constrictor.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Boy you need Billion Dollar Babies if ya ain't got it.

The title track was in our set list for quite a while.  No keyboards on that song, so I played tambourine, and did a dance during the break.  Not quite Phil Collins level, but inspired by his tambourine dance circa 1976, Seconds Out era "I Know What I Like".  People thought it was pretty cool.

Offline Lowdz

Hey TAC I love those two song you don't like. I was an 80s Hair Metal (God I hate that term) child though. If Bon Jovi had done Burning Our Bed or Love's A Loaded Gun they would have been huge.