Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70633 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I figure if you're putting together a touring band, you go through a list of potential players for each position, and all else being equal, you might as well go with the hot babe for any given spot.  Maybe not fill the stage with them if you want to be taken seriously, but one or two, sure.  Anyone who has doubts but an open mind should be convinced once they hear a song or two.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, he started that position of Chick Guitarist with Orianthi a few years back and ended up bringing Nita on. Nita is the real deal, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
On his upcoming role Sunday night as King Herod (again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscvEnnxFrE  (from approx. 4:25 to 7:00)

Looking forward to this.....and ya just gotta love the Coop!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Totally forgot it was on last night. :facepalm:

Found this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk9JZYSmmdw

Classic Alice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

Video not avalaible.

This one is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVapiOu7Hkc

Man, he steals the show!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's the one I posted.

Online MirrorMask

To me it tells me it's not avalaible period, not just not avalaible in my country...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
^
One is posted by 'MrTreknation', the other from 'NBC'.....and visible here in the states ???
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Found this video a while back of ‘Halo of Flies’.  The first couple of minutes are filmed from the same angle as our Balto seats.  Love the lighting and the ‘conductor’.  Glen Sobol excels on drums throughout, with a most enjoyable solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_SY5pJW-Y   

Went through the credits for the ‘Welcome To My Nightmare’, ‘Goes To Hell’, and ‘Lace And Whiskey’ LPs recently.   A notable name on bass:  Tony Levin!

And on piano for his tours in the late 70s:  Fred Mandel.  He became the first additional onstage musician for Queen, touring in 1982.  He also played on their ‘Works’ LP, as well as Brian and Freddie’s solo efforts (as well as Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’, later Elton John and Supertramp amongst others).

I did not know that Bob Ezrin produced 'The Wall' until recently.  Alice certainly was surrounded by some talent (google Dick Wagner as well)

Online MirrorMask

He also used Elton John's lyricist for From the Inside (reminder for those who don't know on the fly: his 1978 album which is a concept about his stay in rehab, terrific and poignant disc with many overlooked songs). Yeah, he always had a thing to find the right people to work with.

I also like how his live band in recent years is always more and more stable, it gives more of an actual band feeling rather than "Alice Cooper and whoever plays alongside him for this tour".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Alice Cooper thread v. Welcome 2 My Nightmare, September 2011
« Reply #290 on: August 15, 2019, 12:35:46 PM »
Alice is in my hometown tonight and it's a beautiful day here for an outdoor show  :metal :metal

Halestorm is opening, looks like Lzzy plays guitar with Alice Cooper for the School's Out encore, should be a fun one!

Also, I've seen Alice twice now, both times as the opener so it'll be nice to see a headliner show

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #291 on: August 15, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »
I'm sure it's gonna kick ass and having Halestorm there is gonna be a wonderful bonus!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 15, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »
I'm sure it's gonna kick ass and having Halestorm there is gonna be a wonderful bonus!  :metal

Been listening to them the last couple days, don't love them or hate them.  Definitely a few songs I'm looking forward to seeing and I definitely like Lzzy way more than I did when I first gave them a try some years ago.  Also love seeing new bands so this is going to be fun.  Still need a ticket though, but just waiting to see if a deal comes up, otherwise I know exactly which seat I'm going to buy.

Offline DTA

« Reply #293 on: August 15, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »
I bought Hey Stoopid for a dollar at a used cd store on a whim and I can honestly say it's probably become one of my favorite albums of all time. The only Alice Cooper song I ever heard prior to this was Feed My Frankenstein from Wayne's World, and that's probably my least favorite on the album after dozens of listens. How's the rest of his output compare to this one?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2019, 09:37:35 PM »
I bought Hey Stoopid for a dollar at a used cd store on a whim and I can honestly say it's probably become one of my favorite albums of all time. The only Alice Cooper song I ever heard prior to this was Feed My Frankenstein from Wayne's World, and that's probably my least favorite on the album after dozens of listens. How's the rest of his output compare to this one?

Hey Stoopid is a GREAT album.

How is the rest of his output? It's hard to say. If you really like Hey Stoopid, I'd point you to the one before it, Trash, and then the one that came after it, The Last Temptation.

Alice tends to be all over the place. He is generally molding his style to what is popular at the time.

DTA, to me there are essential Alice albums. Killer and School's Out, both from 1972. Welcome To My Nightmare from 1975. I consider Hey Stoopid essential, and I might also suggest The Eyes Of Alice Cooper from 2003. That has a great garage type feel to it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »
That's cool, Cram! :metal

As popular as School's Out (the song) is, that album is one of the most underrated albums of the early 70's.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:19 PM »
I just love all the people on stage and Alice trying to remember their names  :lol  He gets them all, it's awesome plus just seeing Lzzy rocking out in the back the entire time, plus Nita.  What a show

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:47 AM »

Hey Stoopid is a GREAT album.

And way better than Trash, which anyway is the one who made all the money because of Poison.

I agree that Alice's discography is all over the place, that's the beauty of it; I also agree that if you like Hey Stoopid, checking out Trash is the first option.

Then depends on how you want to move on.... if you like the heavy stuff, go for Brutal Planet. If you like the more rock n' roll vibe, The Eyes of Alice Cooper is a nice and fun album. The albums of the '70s should be checked out if only for their historical value: Killers and Billion Dollar Babies first and foremost, but also Love it to Death and School's Out, all made  by the Alice Cooper band.

Once Alice went solo, Welcome to My Nightmare is another seminal album that can't be missed. Albums that maybe are a bit overlooked but are quite great are 1978's From the Inside (basically a concept about rehab) and 1994's The Last Temptation, another good to check after Hey Stoopid.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »

I also like how his live band in recent years is always more and more stable, it gives more of an actual band feeling rather than "Alice Cooper and whoever plays alongside him for this tour".

Yeah, but when it comes time for them to record an album he uses almost zero of them. Drives me nuts but yeah, they are a really tight band. I got to see them this last year the night the night before a local alice show. The whole band was there minus Alice. Alice's daughter Calico even flew in for it (and stuck around for the next nights show and got up on stage for that). They all played a bunch of covers and just had a blast. Stuck around and hung out afterwards too.

Offline DTA

« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
Thanks guys. I actually like the ballad/epic side a bit more than the heavier tracks. Might As Well Be On Mars in particular, though Dangerous Tonight is a close 2nd. Trash and The Last Temptation will probably be next along with the popular 70’s ones (BDB, WTMN). Hopefully I can find them super cheap though I liked Hey Stoopid so much that I don’t even mind paying more for other ones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Dangerous Tonight is an amazing song. That chorus is great. I've screamed that at the top of my lungs in my car many times.

Burning Our Bed might be my least fave Alice tune of all time though.

Wind Up Toy is a Top 15 Alice track for me.

Offline DTA

« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »
Dangerous Tonight is an amazing song. That chorus is great. I've screamed that at the top of my lungs in my car many times.

Burning Our Bed might be my least fave Alice tune of all time though.

Wind Up Toy is a Top 15 Alice track for me.

I literally have Dangerous Tonight in my head all day. It's almost an obsession at this point. And Burning Our Bed is awesome! Great ballad. Wind-Up Toy is really good as well. Seriously, there's no weak points on this album for me. It's rare that I buy an album on a whim from the dollar bin and have it become a favorite.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
I suppose I have to give that era of Alice a chance.  I didn't like it when it came out (it reminded me of Ozzy, and I wasn't enamored with Ozzy at the time) and only TAC's patience opened my eyes to what I consider the "good" Alice, the Bob Ezrin years of the ACB.   But I've warmed to Alice in general and so it's only fair to give that Trash/Hey Stoopid period a shot.

(Still skeptical of all the guest stars, though the base band, at least on Trash, is, I think, Billy Squier's old band so that can't be bad).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2020, 08:00:37 PM »
This is pretty awesome.  Kind of feels like a modern (and lets be real, not quite as epic) Live Aid.  This guy is such a great leader for rock n roll.

Alice Cooper (Live Fire Fight 2020) - The festival for the Australian fire aid

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »
This is pretty awesome.  Kind of feels like a modern (and lets be real, not quite as epic) Live Aid.  This guy is such a great leader for rock n roll.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
Thanks for posting Marc. Alice Cooper rules!

Oh, and I LOVE daytime concert footage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2020, 08:14:01 PM »
Now I'm watching the Queen set.  Pretty cool too, I don't think I ever listened or watched anything with Adam Lambert [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijntCN1BVlI[/url

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
Now I'm watching the Queen set.  Pretty cool too, I don't think I ever listened or watched anything with Adam Lambert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijntCN1BVlI

The Lovely Mrs TAC loves Queen, and we watched Adam lambert tear it up on AI, but she has no interest is going to see this show. Adam Lambert is actually pretty amazing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »
That show is too expensive for me, I'm not that into them to pay those prices.  But I'm sure it's good.  He sounds good in the video, but being at night, doesn't give me the "live aid feel" that Alice's set does. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2020, 09:33:35 PM »
Saw Alice Cooper a couple years ago. If you get a chance to see him, go! you will not be disappointed. He puts on a great show and his voice has held up amazingly well. Frankly, he’s in a class all on his own as far as singers over 60 (over 70?!?) go. The man’s still got it and sounds like he could easily tour another ten years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »
Yea, totally go see this man!  I saw Alice Cooper open for Iron Maiden in 2012, but didn't see them again until 2017 and again last summer... and have my ticket for this summer.  Guy is non stop and puts on a great show.  Also, it's legit.  He's not fake.  He's got a good touring package this summer:

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2020, 03:13:43 AM »
That show is too expensive for me, I'm not that into them to pay those prices.  But I'm sure it's good.  He sounds good in the video, but being at night, doesn't give me the "live aid feel" that Alice's set does.

Ironic given that they played all of the songs that Queen did in 1985 in the original Live Aid here for the Australia show.

Anywho, I'm pretty excited to see Alice Cooper in LA at the Hollywood Bowl.  Thankfully, he's headlining rather than being a main support to either a GNR, Motley Crue, or Iron Maiden-sized band so tickets are more easily obtainable and cheaper.  Nabbed a nosebleed ticket on Groupon for $27.00.  Going to be worth the value and lots more.

Also, that Australia set shows that they do not need the props to carry the set, those props and productions in their usual shows just enhances it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:20:26 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2020, 04:14:45 AM »

Saw this on the TV live Sunday arvo.  Really good.  Not the biggest Alice fan but should have went and seen him.  Great set and a very tight band too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2020, 07:01:01 AM »
I'm seeing him in Boston on this tour. His setlist for the past year is much improved. It is amazing how he can carry a crowd.