Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70662 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Vintage. That's a good word. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

I don't mind vintage sounding Alice but I would've liked to hear a bit more of his heavier side. Something like Dragontown, Brutal Planet, or Along Came a Spider but I know a return to that sound is probably unlikely with Ezrin at the helm.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't mind vintage sounding Alice but I would've liked to hear a bit more of his heavier side. Something like Dragontown, Brutal Planet, or Along Came a Spider but I know a return to that sound is probably unlikely with Ezrin at the helm.

Two of my least favorite albums in his entire catalog. And I only like half of Brutal Planet.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

Two of my least favorite albums in his entire catalog. And I only like half of Brutal Planet.  :)

To each their own. I pretty much like every era of Alice. Though my overall least favorite part of his career is probably his commercial more glam sound of the late 80s early 90s. Though even those still have songs I love on them.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Trash hasn't aged nearly as well as Hey Stoopid.

Offline ozzy554

Which is why Trash is one of my least favorites.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Lowdz

Sound like a huge 70s throwback and I like the sound of it so far, certainly more than the last 20 years worth of Alice.
I loved hair metal Alice and From The Inside, but not much else tbh.

Offline MirrorMask

Hey Stoopid is far superior to Trash, it should have been the big hit album, but Poison made all the money instead.

About the heavy albums: I completely love and adore Brutal Planet, I like half of the songs on Dragontown but the other half are quite forgettable, and Along Came a Spider is in the middle - it doesn't have either the highs of Brutal Planet, or the lows of Dragontown.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

I Kinda listened to Paranormal at around 2 in the morning once I realized it went up on Spotify lol. I thought it was a fun and solid album. My favorites off the album (not counting the singles) are Fireball, Dynamite Road, and The Sound of A.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just had my first listen to the new Alice album.

I like it. It is very good. Classic Alice/Ezrin. Not in love with every track, but there are many that I really like. And lyrically, Alice always makes me chuckle. This is so much better than Welcome 2, or the piece of shit that is Along Came A Spider.

Reminds me a bit of Zipper Catches Skin, which is one of my favorite Alice albums. Also vocally, Ezrin seems to push him into different character voices reminding me of DaDa  or Goes To Hell.

I wouldn't recommend it to my heavy metal friends, as that is not Alice, not that he hasn't done those kinds of albums.

Larry Mullen turns in a great performance. Surprising that he did the album. Pretty cool.

Offline Imaginos

Just had my first listen to the new Alice album.

I like it. It is very good. Classic Alice/Ezrin. Not in love with every track, but there are many that I really like. And lyrically, Alice always makes me chuckle. This is so much better than Welcome 2, or the piece of shit that is Along Came A Spider.

Reminds me a bit of Zipper Catches Skin, which is one of my favorite Alice albums. Also vocally, Ezrin seems to push him into different character voices reminding me of DaDa  or Goes To Hell.

I wouldn't recommend it to my heavy metal friends, as that is not Alice, not that he hasn't done those kinds of albums.

Larry Mullen turns in a great performance. Surprising that he did the album. Pretty cool.

These are pretty much my thoughts on the album too. I really enjoy it, definitely his best in years. I also like that it's not overly long.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
After a few more listens...yes, he is totally tapping that early 80's Flush the Fashion/Special Forces/Zipper Catches Skin/DaDa era.
Which is an ignored Alice era that is FULL of great tunes. Not coincidentally, he is playing Pain this year. Other than Clones, he hasn't touched any of those 4 albums since his 1986 return.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Alice Cooper thread v. Welcome 2 My Nightmare, September 2011
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
The album at first left me quite underwhelmed. I know it wasn't 6 years in the making, but after such a long time we get barely over 30 minutes of new music, and they're all rock n' rollish songs, without the usual variety from the previous albums? It starts with a somehow heavy and dark song and ends with a curveball (The sound of a), but all the rest are short vintage-sounding rock songs, I realize that was probably the intent but I expected a bit more.

Here and there I'm spotting good songs however on further listenings - favorites so far are the title track, Fireball and Private Public Breakdown. But the gem is not even on the album, it's in the bonus disc - Genuine American Girl is absolutely hilarious, I love the chorus, the lyrics and especially the post-chorus bridge where it goes "I'm only thirty out of 50 shades of grey"  :lol classic Alice humor there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2017, 04:07:40 AM »
Bumping the thread 'cause the world needs more Alice Cooper!  :metal

Oh, and also because yesterday I've seen him live for the second time:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alice-cooper/2017/alcatraz-milan-italy-3e0155b.html

Excellent show, too much similar to the one of the last year (I figured he would change the stage set) but at almost 70 Alice is still commanding the stage with unchallanged charisma, he essentially created the shock rock genre and he's still the absolute archvillian of it. And from what I could figure out between the loud sound and the adrenaline running, he also sang quite good and consistent. He's one of the guys I guess I'll try to see whenever he stops by, there won't be another one like him so better enjoy him while he's still going strong!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2017, 07:16:53 AM »
:metal

I've always liked Alice Cooper.  Somehow not enough to buy his albums or go see him live, but I do have his Greatest Hits and I'll crank him up when I hear him on the radio.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
:metal

I've always liked Alice Cooper.  Somehow not enough to buy his albums or go see him live, but I do have his Greatest Hits and I'll crank him up when I hear him on the radio.

O, I'm glad you have his Greatest Hits. Obviously those are from the original Alice Cooper band. It's a nice enough collection of songs, but doesn't even scratch the surface of what that band was about. The tracks are taken from the 5 Classic albums. I consider School's Out (the album) the musical peak of the band, yet it is represented only by the Title Track on the Greatest Hits.

I know this summer, I talked about doing a UFO Discog Thread, but I feel like the world needs an Alice Cooper Discog Thread. Anyone have any interest in that?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2017, 11:36:06 PM »
I would follow along with that.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2017, 04:17:41 AM »
I've heard every single album Alice Cooper has ever done so I would be totally up for it!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »
Wife is a huge JCS fan.  We were fortunate to talk with Ted Neely and Barry Dennan at a meet n greet a few years back.

She's actually thrilled with the Alice choice for Herod.  I just wonder if he's accurate at throwing bagels. ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
I have no idea who the character is or what JCS is all about. But I will definitely check him out in this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »
Jesus Christ Superstar is basically an early 70's rock treatment of The Passion, the last seven days of Christ.  From just before the arrival in Jerusalem to the point where he is captured, tried, and eventually executed via crucifixion.  JCS introduced Andrew Lloyd Webber to most of the world, as he was the composer and Tim Rice the lyricist.

King Herod is a minor role, but a very memorable one.  Herod is always portrayed as over the top, and his scene usually includes the keyboard solo and accompanying dance number.  Alice will be amazing, I'm sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
I still don't get the title. I thought it meant "The sound of a...... [suspence to not name the scary thing or whatever]", but it looks like it's just, well, "A".

It vaguely reminds me, for its vibe, of Zombie Dance off Dirty Diamonds.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »
Reading the article, this is a song from the vaults that Dennis Dunaway found. If written back then, I've wondered if the A stands for Anarchy.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »
THAT was a treat !!!  Thank you!!!

I wish it had the Neal Smith 70s sound and touch on percussion.  If this song was called 'The Sounds of Anarchy', IMHO it would have worked well on 'School's Out' after 'Public Enemy #9' to flesh out side two (since the album always seemed one song short).  Heck,  'The Sounds Of A' would still work, since that's what one tries to earn in school.

And....good grief, speaking of '70s'.....Vincent turns 70 in February.  :o 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:05:21 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »

I wish it had the Neal Smith 70s sound and touch on percussion.  If this song was called 'The Sounds of Anarchy', IMHO it would have worked well on 'School's Out' after 'Public Enemy #9' to flesh out side two (since the album always seemed one song short). Heck,  'The Sounds Of A' would still work, since that's what one tries to earn in school.

I agree. I consider School's Out the original band's musical peak, and also consider School's Out ESSENTIAL. But yes, it does seem to stop short.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »
Well that's a relief.  I thought maybe "The Sound of A" was a five-minute track of someone just playing an A chord.  I mean, I guess that could be cool, but this is much better.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw Alice in Baltimore tonight at The Lyric.....same venue as Dream Theater last November.

I am a little surprised to say that I had an absolutely great time.  This 'old' man was a little boy at times again tonight.  And, my wife enjoyed it 99% as I did.  She enjoys theater, and was not disappointed.

The ultimate showman still puts on one hell of a show.....for all ages.  He really looks like he is enjoying his 'sunset' years.  Well worth checking out.

Offline MirrorMask

The ultimate showman still puts on one hell of a show.....for all ages.  He really looks like he is enjoying his 'sunset' years.  Well worth checking out.

I agree. I plan to see him whenever he'll come back around here again until he retires. Better seeing him one time too many rather than regret not having seen him once he will retire.

Anyway, he's healthy and still going strong, and I remember reading about this that he said that he's six years younger than Mick Jagger, and that when he quits,  he knows he still has six years because he's not gonna let him beat him in longevity  :D

Offline ozzy554

I really wanted to see him this month but I kinda need to save money for my disney vacation lol.

Oh well the man certainly isnt slowing down anytime soon. He'll probably be back around my area within a years time.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I listened to Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits yesterday, the one from the 70's, and it sounded great.  It has stood up well.

That is all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I listened to Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits yesterday, the one from the 70's, and it sounded great.  It has stood up well.

That is all.

It has stood up well, but it doesn't begin to scratch that band's surface.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh shit, he's playing 20 minutes from where I work tonight.  I loved his show last summer, felt like he blew Deep Purple off the stage even though he opened.  My gf also really enjoyed the show.  The music and show can really be for anyone.  I'd totally go see him again, but I haven't been following and I can't really make it to this show tonight even though he's soo close right now.  His band is really tight too, should definitely mention how hot Nita is too. 

Offline MirrorMask

Yeah, at first I was sceptical about her - she looked more like an Orianthi replacement rather than a guitarist replacement (I mean, for 40 years you had guys, and now you get a blonde guitarist, she leaves, and you get another blonde guitarist?), but I've warmed up to her by now. She's obviously good and she has a great stage presence and badass poses.