Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70594 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I saw that tour.  It was a New Year's Eve show in Seattle (1987/88). 

Motorhead was supposed to open but couldn't for some reason.   The show ended up being opened by Armored Saint and Faster Pussycat. 

Poor Alice and Armored Saint......................having to try and come out and get close to matching Faster Pussycat.   The toughest gig in rock  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brent, no lie. Faster Pussycat was the worst band I've ever seen. They sucked! I saw them at The Living Room in Providence 2 months earlier and they almost singe handedly caused me to blow off the GnR show there a month later. I figured if this is what LA bands were all about, why would I bother with GnR. Thank God I didn't skip GnR, which was amazing!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

Actually....Faster Pussycat's set made me go to the record store the very next day to buy their debut album. 

EDIT - I actually like the first album.   Babylon is a great song.  Kinda goofy, but really gritty. 

I liked the LA bands when they were unwashed and unpolished.   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw the same tour w/ Frehley's Comet (I can only remember 'Cold Gin'), Faster Pussycat, and then Alice.  'All business' with zero crowd interaction.  Finally got to see my boyhood 'idol'.  Sadly, memories fade.  I'm pretty sure he went to the guillotine, but I'm not 100% certain.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MirrorMask

I had a "fun" story with discovering Alice Cooper.

Of course he's so famous and iconic that I always knew about him, and the occasional super famous song here and there, but I never bothered to listen to him.

He came THREE times in TWO years in Italy, then I discovered him, and he never returned, it took me years to finally see him one year ago, it was wonderful to finally see him  ;D

It's kinda weird also how I finally decided to listen to his albums; I found on YouTube a cover of Hell is Living without You by Sonata Arctica, found out the song was on the same album as Poison, and thought "Well, maybe I should listen to this album"... one thing led to another and in a short time I listened to ALL of his 26 albums.

I let gut instict guide me, I read the stories of the albums on Wikipedia and on fansites and jumped back and forth in time, I remember listening to Trash and Hey Stoopid first, then I must have moved to Brutal Planet and Dragontown, then back in the '70s for the classics, and I left for last the first two albums and the controversial ones of the '80s.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw the same tour w/ Frehley's Comet (I can only remember 'Cold Gin'), Faster Pussycat, and then Alice.  'All business' with zero crowd interaction.  Finally got to see my boyhood 'idol'.  Sadly, memories fade.  I'm pretty sure he went to the guillotine, but I'm not 100% certain.

Nope...on the Raise Your Fist And Yell tour, it was a hanging!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I let gut instict guide me, I read the stories of the albums on Wikipedia and on fansites and jumped back and forth in time, I remember listening to Trash and Hey Stoopid first, then I must have moved to Brutal Planet and Dragontown, then back in the '70s for the classics, and I left for last the first two albums and the controversial ones of the '80s.

He has so many styles, he's one artist that you can really jump around. Really only a few duds.

Offline MirrorMask

The "dud" that surprised me the most was Dada. My understanding was that it was a drunk album that he didn't even tour for, but the songs there are actually good, at least 3-4 tracks are very nice.

It's Special Forces and Zipper Catches Skin that I consider easily the worst.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm with you on Special Forces.

I actually love Zipper Catches Skin, especially the second half.
The run of Adaptable-I Like Girls-Remarkably Insincere -Tag You're It- I Better Be Good is fantastic. This is really one of Alice's best tongue in cheek albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Imaginos

The World Needs Guts live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gtLOcTcmO8

:metal

Hey, I was at that exact show. Between this song, Pain, Halo of Flies, and Lost in America (and Ballad of Dwight Fry of course), it was definitely my favorite setlist of his that I've seen.

Offline MirrorMask

Wow, those are some obscure gems!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So the other day, I stumbled upon this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Returns-Alice-Cooper/dp/B002B464C6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1497910750&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=alice+cooper+the+nightmare+returns

It's the mp3 album of The Nightmare Returns tour. Basically the soundtrack to the awesome video. Not a proper CD, but definitely worth buying the download. Love the 80's Metal leanings of those classic songs like Welcome To My Nightmare and Dwight Fry. A great live album from one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's missing one of my personal favorites- He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's missing one of my personal favorites- He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)!

It wasn't played on that tour. It might've been in Europe.

Offline Lowdz

So the other day, I stumbled upon this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Returns-Alice-Cooper/dp/B002B464C6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1497910750&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=alice+cooper+the+nightmare+returns

It's the mp3 album of The Nightmare Returns tour. Basically the soundtrack to the awesome video. Not a proper CD, but definitely worth buying the download. Love the 80's Metal leanings of those classic songs like Welcome To My Nightmare and Dwight Fry. A great live album from one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

How is the sound quality?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Excellent. Totally worth the $8.99!

Offline ErHaO

New song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlEcM53kj_I

I like it, definitely piques my interest for the upcoming album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The two songs released so far is a sign that this album is already better than the last couple. I can't wait. I actually preordered it this morning. I like this song. It's very Alice.

Offline MirrorMask

I was not convinced at all by the first song, but this one is very classic Alice. A bit weird and without a proper chorus, but it has a nice atmosphere. I liked however a lot Welcome 2 My Nightmare, it had many oddball songs and the twist in the storyline at the end is hilarious.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, man. Tim don't beat me up too much for this...

Aren't we getting a bit too old for this stuff? I mean the song is pretty good, and the instrumental break is very moody, interesting, and enjoyable but the lyrics...they're just so, obvious. Aaaaand, just about what a bunch kids on and elementary school playground would come up with if they were told to write a scary song about a ghost.

I think Alice always did funny/creepy better when it was intentional.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, man. Tim don't beat me up too much for this...

Aren't we getting a bit too old for this stuff? I mean the song is pretty good, and the instrumental break is very moody, interesting, and enjoyable but the lyrics...they're just so, obvious. Aaaaand, just about what a bunch kids on and elementary school playground would come up with if they were told to write a scary song about a ghost.

I think Alice always did funny/creepy better when it was intentional.

At this point, whatever Alice gives me is gravy. I honestly didn't think he had another studio album in him. His last two albums sucked, and he's been touring the same set for the last 10 years. All I ask is that this one doesn't suck, and after sampling the first two tunes, I think we'll be OK. Honestly, if these are the two best tracks, that's not going to be good news, but I'm hopeful.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It seems Alice still has it when it comes to Aussie audiences Tim - his upcoming gig in Melbourne has been upgraded from a venue holding 5000 to 15,000 capacity.  Surprises me to be honest .  Maybe they all think Kip's on bass  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm an SURE that's most definitely NOT the case..

Who knows, this could literally be his last trip to Australia. I think the couple tweaks to his setlist (Pain, The World Needs Guts) have been good things.

Offline Lowdz

It seems Alice still has it when it comes to Aussie audiences Tim - his upcoming gig in Melbourne has been upgraded from a venue holding 5000 to 15,000 capacity.  Surprises me to be honest .  Maybe they all think Kip's on bass  ;D

I enjoyed this second track - yeah the lyrics aren't up to much but the song is ok.

And yay, Brent's back. Good to see you pal  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Paul - good to "see" you too.   Just cruising around hunting down what I missed in the last month or so.   Pretty much up to date apart from the metal thread and hopefully getting a good read of the QR discog thread.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ozzy554

Welcome 2 my nightmare was actually the first Alice Cooper album I bought with my own money. I think its a fun cd. Really the only track I dont listen to is Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever.

The 2 tracks for the next one sounds promising as well. Cooper Rarely Disappoints for me.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

Really the only track I dont listen to is Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever.

It's so absurdingly funny that I don't mind it. The chorus is kinda catchy otherwise.

What Baby Wants is more annoying to me, but I have to admit the duel with the she-devil is comedy gold.

Offline ozzy554

Really the only track I dont listen to is Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever.

It's so absurdingly funny that I don't mind it. The chorus is kinda catchy otherwise.

What Baby Wants is more annoying to me, but I have to admit the duel with the she-devil is comedy gold.

I will agree the Chorus in DBBF is catchy but I would've rather had Under the Bed make the album instead.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

I meant DUET, not duel.

And yes, Under the Bed is one of the best of the bunch! Also a shout out for the very Tom Wait-esque Last Man on Earth, the impression is spot on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Also a shout out for the very Tom Wait-esque Last Man on Earth, the impression is spot on.

Best song on the album by a mile.

Also love the Eminem impression on DBBF.

I actually don't mind What Bay Wants and When Hell Comes Home grew on me like moss.

But overall, Welcome 2 sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought Welcome 2 was a hunk of junk; I ended up just tossing it in the Trash :)

Ozzy mentioned the song Under the Bed. For me that was above and beyond the best song on Welcome 2. How it was just a bonus song is a head scratcher. Besides that song, the album was tripe.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline MirrorMask

Sounds very old school, vintage in style and in sound... seems all very rock n' rollish, I would have hoped for something more sinister and a bit heavier ike Paranormal.