Author Topic: The Alice Cooper thread  (Read 70573 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
The Alice Cooper thread
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »
So, I really should not be one to be making this thread. I do not know 1/10th of this man's music, but what I do know, I dig. I know the hits and I saw him live and he blew me away. I am getting a 160GB iPod for Chanukkah and I vowed to get more into his music so today, I listened to all of Welcome to My Nightmare and it blew me away. Completely. I will listen to more of the band and more of the musician in the upcoming weeks and when I finally get my iPod, fun will be had.

Here is to a great mind, a great musician, a great performer, and an all around cool dude.

Appreciate bitches.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:58:02 PM by ariich »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
I respect the guy, but I can't really get into him for some reason. The last girl I was seeing was OBSESSED with him and would make me listen to him all the time. A lot of the songs were ok, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

He did an album with Bernie Taupin though, I really wanna check that out sometime soon.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Its all about the live show. Seen him twice. Amazing both times.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
He's a great person. One of my favourite "rock personalities".

Billion Dollar Babies, that's all.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
golf
this is all

but seriously the guy is awesome
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm a pretty casual Alice fan, I have about half of his albums.  I actually prefer the Trash onwards albums a lot more than his earlier stuff.  He always has amazing musicians too.

The Alice trashes the world DVD with Al Pitrelli is AMAZING!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am getting a 160GB iPod for Chanukkah and I vowed to get more into his music so today, I listened to all of Welcome to My Nightmare and it blew me away. Completely.
I'm getting one for Christmas!!
..and yes..Welcome To My Nightmare is a must have! The Steven trilogy is phenomenal. the whole "I'll put pennies on your eyes" bit gives me goosebumps. Welcome To My Nightmare was his first "solo" album released without the original Alice Cooper band, which for my money is the most underrated American classic rock band going. Songwriters far ahead of their time.

Numbers, great topic by a hugely underrated (around these parts) artist. I'm going out on a limb to say that I'm DTF's biggest Alice fan. I got into Alice while in college when I first saw The Nightmare Returns live concert. It blew me away. I went to see him a few weeks later and I was completely hooked and mesmerized. I quickly got his entire discography.

The first things you should get on your iPod are:
School's Out
Killer
WTMN
Alice Cooper Goes To Hell

I'd also recommend 1991's Hey Stoopid. A very underrated album. Check out Wind Up Toy from that album.

My fave Alice songs are:
Ballad Of Dwight Fry
Halo Of Flies
Blue Turk
Wind Up Toy
Pass The Gun Around
Wind Up Toy
Desperado
Roses On White Lace
Dead Babies
Killer

I mean..there's so many!!!!!!!!

Here's me shaking hands with the man himself (October 1997):

..and at the Providence Civic Center
February 17, 1987

Here's a semi recent version of Halo Of Flies, originally on Killer. You have to hear the original, not sure if I can link it, but this is one of the original progressive metal songs. Consider it was written in 1970 or 71.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6-8R1JFCQw

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Only concert I've ever been to was an Alice Cooper concert. It was awesome.

• "THEY just drop"
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
STEP INTO THE STREET BY SUNDOWN

Saw that you had that there. Either that, Poison, or The Black Widow are my favorites.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
STEP INTO THE STREET BY SUNDOWN

Saw that you had that there. Either that, Poison, or The Black Widow are my favorites.
On Humanary Stew, Bruce Dickinson does a great Black Widow, even reprising the Vincent Price part. Also Ronnie James Dio does an awesome Welcome To My Nightmare.

Yes, Desperado is an awesome track. Off of Killer which is a must have. Contains the great Dead Babies, Halo Of Flies... and the title track has to be heard to be believed...

Poison is pretty cool, but my fvorite off of Trash is easily Why Trust You. Crank that baby up!! :metal

I was also listening to Hey Stoopid last night. Dangerous Tonight is such an  :metal song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've mostly listened to the greatest hits collections, but also a little bit from Billion Dollar Babies, Welcome To My Nightmare, Trash, and Dirty Diamonds.

Favourite songs include:

- Six Hours (love that blues riff)
- Triggerman
- Feed My Frankenstein
- He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask)
- Spark In The Dark
- The Black Widow
- No More Mr Nice Guy
- Halo Of Flies

Poison is good but I feel it's been overplayed through the years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Zy, good call on Six Hours and Triggerman.

I like Dirty Diamonds, but it's not as good as The Eyes Of Alice Cooper, which is a return to a real garage type feel. A great rebound from the horrid Dragontown.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Triggerman is a damn good song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
So, I never understood the curator bit. Everything just sounds like Alice Cooper singing. I know I'm wrong but can anyone point out where it is only thr curator?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I remember seeing Kane Roberts for the first time live and it looked like he was going to snap the neck off his guitar just by moving his arms.  It was also fun to see Moterhead open up.  I made a promise never to see Motorhead to a friend as a running joke so I walked into the theater and heard, The Ace Of Spades, ran down the hall screaming NO GOD, NO!!!!!!  The next day my mom let my friend in and he hung about 20 pictures of Lemmy in my room. I go home and didn't notice it till the next day.  Bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, I never understood the curator bit. Everything just sounds like Alice Cooper singing. I know I'm wrong but can anyone point out where it is only thr curator?

I don't understand..Curator? What part or album are you referring to?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
On Humanary Stew, Bruce Dickinson does a great Black Widow, even reprising the Vincent Price part.

It says on wiki that Vincent Price plays "the curator" on WTMN.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
On Humanary Stew, Bruce Dickinson does a great Black Widow, even reprising the Vincent Price part.

It says on wiki that Vincent Price plays "the curator" on WTMN.
It's true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kJWoaxlykg

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Oh shit! I need to check this out later.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Love it to Death is my favourite Alice Cooper album. So great on vinyl.

Offline Lowdz

Hey Stoopid (minus the title track) is excellent, and From the Inside are my favourites. Not a huge album fan but live he's always worth seeing even though the show is as predictable now as seeing KISS.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Alice gets into the RnR Hall Of Fame with his original band!
https://www.bravewords.com/news/152322

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Yeah. I saw that. That is awesome!

Now, he needs to get in for his solo stuff. I wonder is it will take the Hall 20 years to do that too.

BTW, Tac, where to go next. I know hits and Welcome to My Nightmare. I was thinking going back to the original band but I wanted something a little...darker.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
BTW, Tac, where to go next. I know hits and Welcome to My Nightmare. I was thinking going back to the original band but I wanted something a little...darker.
Ironically, I really wouldn't classify very many of his albums as "dark". I mean he does have a dark, if not tongue in cheek sense of humor.

I would say that his 3 "darkest" albums are:
1. Brutal Planet (2000)
This is a heavy, almost industrial sounding album
Youtube: Wicked Young Man, Sanctuary, & Pick Up The Bones

2. Raise Your Fist And Yell (1987)
In the mid 80's, this was representative of the splatter movie genre.
Youtube: The Gail Trilogy (Chop Chop Chop, Gail, Roses On White Lace (f##king awesome tune!)), Prince Of Darkness

3. DaDa (1983)
This album is insane. It's very early 80's sounding (read: electronic effects). Songs about hidden away cannibalistic family members..
Youtube: Pass The Gun Around (Great Tune!), Former Lee Warmer

Also, don't discount investigating the original band stuff just because you have the greatest hits already. You must get Killer next!

Offline TL

I just have to say, Alice Cooper puts on one of the best live shows I've ever seen.
I wasn't really a big AC fan when I bought a ticket to see him live that first time. Some of my friends were going, I liked the few AC songs I was aware of at the time, and he actually came to Halifax!
Not long into the show, I was officially a fan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
All this Alice talk..I thought I'd scan in some pics from a few different shows from back in the day...

Providence Civic Center
February 17, 1987

Boston Garden
November 17, 1987

Paramount Theater, Springfield, Ma
March 16, 1990

Great Woods, Mansfield, Ma
August 9, 1991

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni

Congrats TAC..making the roadtrip?
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Congrats TAC..making the roadtrip?
Nahh I don't think so.

I wonder who's going to introduce him. Probably someone like Rob Zombie..

Great to see that original band together though, even though Glen Buxton passed away a few years ago.
We went tot see Alice in Atlantic City and Michael Bruce was like 5 rows in front of us. He was very cool to all of the fans around him.

• "THEY just drop"
All this Alice talk..I thought I'd scan in some pics from a few different shows from back in the day...

Providence Civic Center
February 17, 1987

Boston Garden
November 17, 1987

Paramount Theater, Springfield, Ma
March 16, 1990

Great Woods, Mansfield, Ma
August 9, 1991

MAh God I hate you

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
@ Wall of photos. :( Fuck...

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I just listened to Killer and I have to say, it was just all right. It had its good songs like Under My Wheels, Be My Lover, Halo of Flies, and Dead Babies...hell that is half the album. I just think it is missing something and to be honest, I can't put my finger on it. I think it might be the music is a bit different then Welcome to My Nightmare, an album that has already earned its spot in my top 10 albums of all time. This album has more of a classic rock/psych vibe to it while WTMN, to me, had a darker vibe. Granted, it could just be the subject matter. In my project of discovering bands, I have vowed to listen to Killer, School's Out, Alice Cooper Goes to Hell, Hey Stoopid, and Along Came a Spider (it is his latest album after all and Vengeance is Mine is fucking :metal)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
His first few albums with his original band are brilliant. I love Alice Cooper. :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I just listened to Killer and I have to say, it was just all right. It had its good songs like Under My Wheels, Be My Lover, Halo of Flies, and Dead Babies...hell that is half the album. I just think it is missing something and to be honest, I can't put my finger on it. I think it might be the music is a bit different then Welcome to My Nightmare, an album that has already earned its spot in my top 10 albums of all time. This album has more of a classic rock/psych vibe to it while WTMN, to me, had a darker vibe. Granted, it could just be the subject matter. In my project of discovering bands, I have vowed to listen to Killer, School's Out, Alice Cooper Goes to Hell, Hey Stoopid, and Along Came a Spider (it is his latest album after all and Vengeance is Mine is fucking :metal)
Regarding Killer...just shut the lights out and listen to the title track! 6 of the 8 tracks are great. You may take some time to adjust to the band's sound, but this album was light years ahead of its time. You gotta remember, it was made in 1971, granted it was only 5 years before WTMN. It's a lot rawer.

You should also try and get to the last half of Raise Your Fist And Yell.

Good luck!