Author Topic: Learning guitar and bass, which one first?  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Learning guitar and bass, which one first?
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 06:28:55 AM »
I don't want to be super serious, I just want to have fun.  I have some musical friends that jam together, and it would be fun if I could tag along with whatever instrument.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 06:46:53 AM »
Yeah either one then. Aren't the skills transferable to a degree?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 06:49:29 AM »
Aren't the skills transferable to a degree?

Yep, if you learn guitar first you pretty much have the bassline to most songs just by playing on the bass the root notes of the chord progression you would play on a guitar.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
I played guitar for about a year before I picked up bass.  I instantly became wayyyy better at bass than I was at guitar.  I found that starting with guitar helped my understand the geography of the instrument and thought process of the guitar player, and understanding that really helped me on bass.

It also helped that I already played euphonium at the time, and so could already read bass clef, and had developed something of an intuition of the basses role in music.

I certainly wouldn't say bass is easier, if you're playing it as a bass rather than as a down-tuned guitar.  The objectives of the two are very different.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol