Author Topic: Learning guitar and bass, which one first?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Ħ

Learning guitar and bass, which one first?
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
So I've decided I'm gonna do it.  I'm gonna be more musical

I've got all the instruments on my to-do list--guitar, bass, drums, piano, and singing.  Maybe some woodwinds like saxophone down the line.

Now, drums and piano are out simply because they are to big.  Singing is out because as of now, I don't know how to sing, and I'll need to constantly pay for lessons, so that's out.

So it's guitar and bass.  I have picked up both of them in the past, but didn't take them very far.  Now that it's been more than a year-and-a-half since I've played, what do you experts recommend I do?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Learning guitar and bass, which one first?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:56:25 PM »
Guitar.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
Bass, you nubs

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »
well the question is are you looking to get girls or not. if your playing progressive though it doesnt matter :(

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
Acoustic guitar is definitely a good starting point for any music n00b. I like both, though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »
I'd say guitar.  Once you learn barre chord shapes you'll know the theory behind how a chord is built, which will make it a bit eaiser once you start on bass. 

I reckon you should just stick with learning one instrument though.  A jack of all trades is a master of none :D

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »
I'd definitely say Bass.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:46:13 AM »
So right now it's:

Guitar - 4
Bass - 3

Hmmm....

Being a woodwind player, I am more used to the single-note-at-a-time aspect of bass.  I never learned piano, so thinking in terms of chords and playing multiple notes at once is really weird for me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:10 AM »
Bass. 

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »
Bass

Offline robwebster

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »
So right now it's:

Guitar - 4
Bass - 3

Hmmm....

Being a woodwind player, I am more used to the single-note-at-a-time aspect of bass.  I never learned piano, so thinking in terms of chords and playing multiple notes at once is really weird for me.
All the more reason to start with guitar.

I'm an atrocious guitarist, I wish I was better at it. I'm quite an experienced bassist, but I think if I'd kicked off with guitar I'd possibly be better still. I'm currently learning piano, so all this chord stuff is only just now becoming natural.

It'll be a more gradual progression, starting with bass, but I think learning guitar would teach you a lot more about music. On piano I'm only just getting to grips with a lot of things that I wish I'd learnt a long long time ago.

Once you've learnt multiple instruments it does tend to make other ones easier, too. So I think the diversity of guitar would do you a world of good.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
This might offend some bassists, but I reckon being good at guitar will make learning bass easier than it would be the other way round.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Why do you reckon that?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 09:12:06 AM »
Don't listen to him

Bass rulez

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
Guitar and whatever you do, do not start off with an acoustic guitar.  Heavier strings and a slightly shorter neck will make it a little more difficult on your hands.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Guitar and whatever you do, do not start off with an acoustic guitar.  Heavier strings and a slightly shorter neck will make it a little more difficult on your hands.

I agree that that is probably true, but isn't it better to start with something hard so that the easy things are even easier?  For example, you don't start by playing keyboard--you start by playing piano to get used to the weight.

And didn't JP learn how to play guitar on a violin?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »
Why do you reckon that?

Because you can just start learning basslines on guitar and you'll be able to do them easily if you've learnt guitar (except slap or pop stuff) whereas if you tried to learn guitar parts after only learning bass it will be a whole new skillset.

This isn't just me saying this, I learnt guitar first and I can pick up a bass and play loads of songs fine without any practice on it. I'm sure trying it the other way round would be impossible.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
Guitar first.

But don't play the bass like a guitar. It's a very different instrument.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
Guitar first.

But don't play the bass like a guitar. It's a very different instrument.

This. My friend is a guitarist and he writes and plays his basslines like a guitar. It just doesn't work like that.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 01:03:57 PM »
I learned guitar first. You can apply all the music theory to the bass after.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »

This bass. Now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:05:32 PM by Gorille85 »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
If it was a 5 or even 6 string bass, then maybe. Cause the color/woods are sexy as cunt.

But 9 strings? That's just way too many.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »

I agree that that is probably true, but isn't it better to start with something hard so that the easy things are even easier?  For example, you don't start by playing keyboard--you start by playing piano to get used to the weight.

And didn't JP learn how to play guitar on a violin?

I see what you're saying, but I figure the less obstacles you can have on your way to guitar proficiency, the better.  If my favorite video game was 10x harder, I'd likely have quit it altogether and not bothered trying to master it.  Same here.  Once you've gotten proficient at it, then your hands are up for taking on an acoustic.  Playing acoustic regularly then, will be an excellent way to keep your hands in shape for playing the electric.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
I think it depends on what you want to do, but I think guitar would be better.  You can teach yourself a lot of music theory on guitar, and with guitar you can work on both the rhythm and lead aspects, so if you get bored with one method you can work on the other for a while.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 04:30:50 AM »
I say guitar. When you learn guitar, you pretty much learn bass as well. I don't know if it works the other way though.

But if you're gonna play bass, please do finger bass. Picking bass really turns me off unless it's for experimentation or something.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 04:38:16 AM »
Bass is very easy to play, but it takes some time to learn to play it good, guitar on the other hand is easier

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 04:42:27 AM »
Listen to all the people telling you to do guitar.  It just makes more sense theory-wise.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »
Totally depends on what you want to do. Bass is an easier instrument to get the basics of but much harder than guitar to get really good at.

The great thing about guitar is that even if you find yourself unable to play your favourite songs you can always come up with something interesting on it yourself, no matter how skillful you actually are.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
It depends. Are you looking at this from a purely musical standpoint? Are you a hobbyist, or someone who's looking to get serious. In this era, it's better to be a bass player, only because there are so many guitarists out there. Guitar players, if they're not drop dead amazing, may never get to be in a band.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 06:27:30 AM »
A couple of people have said it; What's the reasoning behind bass being harder to master than the guitar?  I would think the guitar is easily the more difficult of the two, way more techniques and nuances involved.  The hardest thing to learn with bass would be groove, which comes automatically if you're lucky enough to be born black :tard

It depends. Are you looking at this from a purely musical standpoint? Are you a hobbyist, or someone who's looking to get serious. In this era, it's better to be a bass player, only because there are so many guitarists out there. Guitar players, if they're not drop dead amazing, may never get to be in a band.

Very true.  Bass players are a dying breed in hot demand.