Author Topic: Fates Warning  (Read 10298 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Fates Warning
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »
After getting three albums of theirs a few years ago, and kind of liking them, but not really going hog wild over any of 'em, I sort of gave up on them, except for the occasional listen of a song here and a song there, but I got a hair up my ass the other day to give them another shot, so I gave A Pleasant Shade of Grey another whirl...and it sounded fantastic!  Far better than it did before.  Gotta love when stuff like that happens.  I spun the other two, as well; Perfect Symmetry sounds pretty cool; No Exit sounds like it will take some work.  Either way, I am happy to be finally "getting" this band. :)

And from what I remember, this band has a lot of records that are highly-regarded by the fan base, so this could be a new beginning of a somewhat long journey. :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fates Warning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:10 PM »
I've been trying to get into them, but for me taking the other road is what has helped. After listening to records like Parallels, Inside Out, and A Pleasant Shade of Grey and *liking* them but not being crazy over 'em, I finally decided to give their older stuff a spin. Awake the Guardian did the trick for me. I'm probably one of the few people who like Arch better than Alder. Right now, I'm guessing my top 3 FW albums would go...

1.) Awake the Guardian
2.) Perfect Symmetry
3. Parallels

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
I have the Parallels special edition reissue. It's alright. Not a band I'm crazy over, but they're pretty good.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:21:56 PM »
After getting three albums of theirs a few years ago, and kind of liking them, but not really going hog wild over any of 'em, I sort of gave up on them, except for the occasional listen of a song here and a song there, but I got a hair up my ass the other day to give them another shot, so I gave A Pleasant Shade of Grey another whirl...and it sounded fantastic!  Far better than it did before.  Gotta love when stuff like that happens.  I spun the other two, as well; Perfect Symmetry sounds pretty cool; No Exit sounds like it will take some work.  Either way, I am happy to be finally "getting" this band. :)

And from what I remember, this band has a lot of records that are highly-regarded by the fan base, so this could be a new beginning of a somewhat long journey. :biggrin:

Glad you're digging them.

Aside from a song here and there, they do nothing for me.  I might still have Chasing Time and one other that I at least get a little enjoyment from. I sold whatever else I had....

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »
I generally enjoy their more recent stuff the most. A Pleasant Shade of Gray is my favorite, but I also enjoy Disconnected, FWX, and Perfect Symmetry a lot. Parallels and Inside Out are a bit weaker, in my opinion, followed by No Exit. I don't really care for the John Arch era at all.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »
so where do we begihhhhnn, and what else can weeeee say? when the lines are allllll drawn. What should weee doooo today?

all these words and memories...still remains..still remains, they still remayyyyyyynnnnn

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
John Arch or rather John  :heart rch

The Spectre Within FTW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmozVRLZfdg

In the first is a young boy white dove in His hand, in the second is a warrior in armor In the third is the old man gold watch
In his hand fourth and last
No reflection at allllllll
No-reflection-at-all
No-reeeeflection-at-ahhhhhhhhhhllllllllll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1coZRDfXE

oh and if all goes well, the next lp will finally come in 2011  ;D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »
Guardian and Fata Morgana slay anything on any other FW albums.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:32:05 AM by Perpetual Change »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »
Was standing in the darkness
I was watching over you
And all those fears came drifting back
To cloud the view and steal the day
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:57 AM »
Gardian and Fata Morgana slay anything on any other FW albums.

wrong.

Gardian.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »
I have been a massive fan of them for years.  Truly one of the most underrated prog bands ever.  My favs;

Parallels
Inside Out
Perfect Symmetry

These album are perfect IMO.  A Pleasant Shade of Gray also isn't far behind.  No Exit is classic heavy metal with a nice mix of prog.  

I'd also recommend Disconnected.  It's much more somber and less guitar orientated, but the atmosphere of this album is incredible, and there are some amazing songs on it.  FWX is a great listen also, it's a nice mix between Disconnected and APSOG.

If you want something heavier, try the John Arch era, in particular Awaken the Guardian, amazing record.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »
Alder-era Fates Warning is certainly a top band for me.  It wavers, but there are times when I believe that Fates is a better prog-metal band than Dream Theater.

I'd also recommend Disconnected.  It's much more somber and less guitar orientated, but the atmosphere of this album is incredible, and there are some amazing songs on it. 

Some of that great atmosphere is created by having Kevin Moore on keyboards.   As a matter of fact, their 2nd guitarist (Frank Aresti) had left the band by the time of A Pleasant Shade of Gray, giving KevMo a bit more space to work on that album and Disconnected as well.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »
I've been trying to get into them, but for me taking the other road is what has helped. After listening to records like Parallels, Inside Out, and A Pleasant Shade of Grey and *liking* them but not being crazy over 'em, I finally decided to give their older stuff a spin. Awake the Guardian did the trick for me. I'm probably one of the few people who like Arch better than Alder. Right now, I'm guessing my top 3 FW albums would go...

1.) Awake the Guardian
2.) Perfect Symmetry
3. Parallels
This. I don't really like Alder era, but John Arch era is amazing and Awaken the Guardian is a god tier prog album.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Opinions really seem all over the place when it comes to this band, but I am thinking that Parallels will be the next one I check out.  I've never heard anything with John Arch, but Awaken the Guardian seems pretty highly-regarded, so I might have to check that one out, too.  Gotta get used to the ones I already have first, though; trying to get into too many CDs at once never works. ;)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »
This is definitely the song that got me into Fates...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkvqrCGuS10

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
Alder-era Fates Warning is certainly a top band for me.  It wavers, but there are times when I believe that Fates is a better prog-metal band than Dream Theater.

I'd also recommend Disconnected.  It's much more somber and less guitar orientated, but the atmosphere of this album is incredible, and there are some amazing songs on it. 

Some of that great atmosphere is created by having Kevin Moore on keyboards.   As a matter of fact, their 2nd guitarist (Frank Aresti) had left the band by the time of A Pleasant Shade of Gray, giving KevMo a bit more space to work on that album and Disconnected as well.

Yeah, KM did some amazing work on that.  It was a shame when Aresti left the band, he is such an amazing lead player.  Good to see him back the last few years.  The Athens DVD was great but was shot very poorly shot and we are lucky to get 5 closeups of Frank.

I really hope he is recording with them this time for the new album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »
Opinions really seem all over the place when it comes to this band, but I am thinking that Parallels will be the next one I check out. 
If I had to pick out one album that represented FW "in their prime" it would be Parallells. It's very accessable almost "not" prog metal. But to me, it's their most focused album.

Opinions are all over the place because the band was all over the place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »
Parallels is indeed by far, their best album.  Perfect from beginning to end.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
I've got into Redemption since they opened for DT a few years ago.  I am loving their albums!!  "Sapphire" is absolutely amazing, but so are so many others.
  How do they compare with FW, Alder-era?
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:58:17 AM »
I've got into Redemption since they opened for DT a few years ago.  I am loving their albums!!  "Sapphire" is absolutely amazing, but so are so many others.
  How do they compare with FW, Alder-era?

Terry Brown didn't write the vocal lines.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
LOVE Fates Warning. Much prefer Alder over Arch. Both are talented, but Alder's tone is better to my ears.

I got into them a few years back. They sold me for sure in 2003 after I saw them open for QR and DT. Went out and bought the catalog.

I would agree with TAC that Parallels really is the album that captures them in their prime. The records before show a metal band, and Parallels, like so many albums in that timeframe, really straddles the line between metal and accessible hard rock.

A lot of progheads love A Pleasant Shade of Gray. I admit, it took me a LONG time to get that record and warm up to it. I finally did after reading LudwigVan's review, and sitting down with the headphones. It finally hit me, much like Queensryche's Promised Land back in the day.

It is really funny how Empire and Parallels really are alike, as are APSOG and PL...just in terms of the musical style employed.

Disconnected was a damn good record and so was FWX. I really wish they'd get back and do another FW record. Jim told me in my interview with him -- https://www.breakdownroom.net/fateswarning-310.html -- that it was progressing, but he wasn't really in any hurry. Then OSI got its record deal with Metal Blade and I see that has taken priority.

But I sincerely hope that a progressive band like OSI means that the next Fates record brings a bit of the METAL back with it. Frank Aresti is back in the band, at least from a touring standpoint (the only official members are Matheos and Alder at this point), so if he can bring some heavy riffs and some shredding solos, it would be cool.

Time will tell.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »
BUMP

I forgot how great FW was until recently when I listened to A Pleasant Shade of Gray.  That and Parallels are equally amazing.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
1. A Pleasant Shade of Grey
2. Parallels

And from there who knows. I enjoy the Arch era stuff but there is so much more great Alder era material.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jsem

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 06:12:48 AM »
I love Arch.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
1. A Pleasant Shade of Grey
2. Parallels

And from there who knows. I enjoy the Arch era stuff but there is so much more great Alder era material.

I think Parallels is easily their best. Kind of like the Journey of prog/hard rock.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »
Metal Blade CEO Brian Slagel tweeted this weekend asking fans for their opinion on what the new Arch/Matheos band should be called.  The top choice appears on be Arch/Matheos.  They are also considering A/M.  I suggested Prelude to Ruin and ARCHMATHEOS.  One word.  He ssaid the band appears to be a longterm thing and they will be doing lots of press in the coming months for a September release.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
Metal Blade CEO Brian Slagel tweeted this weekend asking fans for their opinion on what the new Arch/Matheos band should be called.  The top choice appears on be Arch/Matheos.  They are also considering A/M.  I suggested Prelude to Ruin and ARCHMATHEOS.  One word.  He ssaid the band appears to be a longterm thing and they will be doing lots of press in the coming months for a September release.
:tup :tup
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »

Could this be the beginning of the end for Fates Warning?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 08:43:35 AM »
No Exit is awesome and The Ivory Gate of Dreams is every bit as epic as any DT epic.  Parallels is probably their most well known but you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.
I have Awaken The Guardian and I like it musically, but I'm not really an Arch fan.  Inside Out took a while but I ended up loving it.  Same with APSOG which is an outstanding prog album.  Disconnected and FWX are pretty good too.  Great band.  Always liked their music a lot.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
Somehow, early Fates Warning was the big influence on the obscure, amelodic prog-metal bands like Cynic, Gordian Knot, Power of Omens, Aghora, Zero Hour and Spiral Architect...bands that are kind of the dark underbelly of the sub-genre.   On the flip side, Dream Theater took prog-metal to a more melodic, accessible place. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »

Could this be the beginning of the end for Fates Warning?

You mean Fates Warning is still active?

Somehow, early Fates Warning was the big influence on the obscure, amelodic prog-metal bands like Cynic, Gordian Knot, Power of Omens, Aghora, Zero Hour and Spiral Architect...bands that are kind of the dark underbelly of the sub-genre.   On the flip side, Dream Theater took prog-metal to a more melodic, accessible place. 

A great observation. I can definitely see that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:44:11 PM by TAC »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »
No Exit is awesome and The Ivory Gate of Dreams is every bit as epic as any DT epic.  Parallels is probably their most well known but you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.
I have Awaken The Guardian and I like it musically, but I'm not really an Arch fan.  Inside Out took a while but I ended up loving it.  Same with APSOG which is an outstanding prog album.  Disconnected and FWX are pretty good too.  Great band.  Always liked their music a lot.

I haven't given Inside Out quite the chance I gave Parallels and APSOG.  I need to listen to it again sometime.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »
   This is a band that I revisit periodically. I was first exposed to them from the MTV video for Through Different Eyes and liked that a lot and the whole album. Then fell out of them for a while.

When I found out that Kevin Moore had done keyboards for them on APSOG and Disconnected, I got both and they just both really clicked for me. Disconnected has the epic Still Remains on it, which remains one of my favorite songs of all time. I guess it was a song Jim wrote about his father. Very moving and emotional song.

Also the song Disconnected pt 2 has a voice sampling on it from the medium Leslie Flint which caused me to look into the history of him and led me down a path to reading a lot of stuff that shapes my perspective of spirituality.

Count me firmly in the Ray Alder camp rather than the Arch camp. Arch just really doesn't do anything for me at all. I'm disappointed to hear there was pretty much a full album of stuff written and Arch is doing it rather than Ray.  :'(

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »
This note, just in from Jim:

"I'm happy to say that all the music for FW11 is now written (finally!). Still some lyrics to do, but we're close. Looking forward to sharing this with you in 2013."
https://fateswarning.com/Forum/tabid/269/aft/157/Default.aspx

woot!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
These guys are kind of hit and miss for me, but I do enjoy APSOG, No Exit, Disconnected and their most recent one.  Never could get into the others, although I own all of them.