Author Topic: DTF Interview v. We Need Connections!  (Read 8974 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: DTF Interview v. Preparation
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 06:30:11 AM »
Have Dream Theater ever thought about doing an album that leaned heavily towards progressive rock the same way Train of Thought leaned heavily toward metal?
That would be wonderful.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Interview v. We Need Connections!
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
Will set lists still be done the way MP did them (based on city)?

I believe a similar question was asked of John Petrucci (on his forums shortly after Mike left, IIRC) and he said that they would likely continue with rotating setlists.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Come on guys! We need some questions. How can we talk about these guys so much and not have any questions for them? Just throw stuff out, this is a brainstorm.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Will the 12 step suite ever be played live in full?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
Songs I would like to know the meaning of--Metropolis, UaGM, IF, TSM, Scarred, HY, LiTS, Misunderstood, TW....and then maybe some b-sides, like DLPM.  I know the general idea behind some songs, but I don't realy know the specifics.

Also, will there continue to be new releases from YtseJam Records?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »

YtseJam Records is Portnoy's project, so that question would not be much good directed at anyone other than him.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

YtseJam Records is Portnoy's project, so that question would not be much good directed at anyone other than him.

They have already been asked that in an interview. Ytsejam records belongs to the band, not Mike, so he didn't see any reason why it wouldn't continue.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 12:32:37 AM »

They have already been asked that in an interview. Ytsejam records belongs to the band, not Mike, so he didn't see any reason why it wouldn't continue.

Really? Awesome.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 01:13:29 AM »
I just did some homework.  From the JP forum:

Quote from: JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredding
John,
what will be the fate of ytsejam record? Is this the end of the official bootlegs for DT or any plans for running the similar thing?

That should not be affected.

Unfortunately, all that tells us is it won't be shut down, not that bootlegs will continue being made.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 06:00:24 AM »
Ok, B&G, I think we should just email RR directly.  Do you have an official ytsetimes email?  If not, do you know how to create one?  It would really put a stamp of officialness to it.  Add in the fact that DTF is the primary hub of DT fandom, and I think we have a shot.

Here's RR contact info:
General and Web Site Inquiries webmaster@roadrunnerrecords.com
Publicity Inquiries publicity@roadrunnerrecords.com

I am not too sure where to start...I think if we contact the webmaster, they might be able to point us in the right direction.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
I have one (theytsetimes@gmail.com). I still think we should get more questions first.

I might be getting a voice recorder in the next few weeks, so I could do a phone interview if I do. And I think we should try to get a few more hits on the site too, starting a blog and then e-mailing RR a week later might seem strange to RR, especially if it is so hard to get them to allow an interview.

Definitely something I want to do, but giving it a week or two wouldn't hurt.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
Since we're not sure which band member(s) will be interviewed, or responding to questions...we probably should stick to general band questions? (i.e. 'What's JP's bedtime routine?' would be a weird question for any of the other members to answer)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »
I have one (theytsetimes@gmail.com). I still think we should get more questions first.

I might be getting a voice recorder in the next few weeks, so I could do a phone interview if I do. And I think we should try to get a few more hits on the site too, starting a blog and then e-mailing RR a week later might seem strange to RR, especially if it is so hard to get them to allow an interview.

I think he means an email with the domain.  You should be able to create an e-mail account such as admin@theytsetimes.com

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:32 PM »

I think he means an email with the domain.  You should be able to create an e-mail account such as admin@theytsetimes.com
I could, but I didn't really want to spend $15 on one e-mail address. If we keep averaging over 100 visitors a day (keeping in mind it's been less than a week since launch and our fanbase and exposure is rapidly growing) I don't see why they would care what e-mail they send it to.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
what is the hot girl to everyone else ratio on average at the concerts.
have they ever considered play ytse jam backwards (that would be awesome as hell)
what is jordan rudess's fav metal band (cmon he's gotta atleast like one)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
Interesting question that popped into my head.... I wanna know: what DT songs have shown up in the auditions?

Offline dvargas

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
Have they ever thought of doing a few covers of bands that haven't actually had an influence on them - with a twist? Random ones?

I don't know... the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Phish hell.... Bon Jovi, Bob Dylan...

Or something totally random like Elvis ?

Just for the hell of it...

Offline dvargas

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
Got another one:

Did Steve Moore (the "Drummer at the wrong gig") get to audition? :omg:

Offline dvargas

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Do you think JP will be the sole producer on the next record?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »

JLB actually answered that--yes.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 11:10:44 PM »
Have they ever thought of doing a few covers of bands that haven't actually had an influence on them - with a twist? Random ones?

I don't know... the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Phish hell.... Bon Jovi, Bob Dylan...

I doubt it. DT have a pretty strict view on covers (or maybe it was just MP, I dunno), but they generally stick to major influences, and generally try to make them as accurate and like the original as possible.

I feel very VERY differently about covers myself. I don't see the point in covering a song without changing it up a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dvargas

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »

I doubt it. DT have a pretty strict view on covers (or maybe it was just MP, I dunno), but they generally stick to major influences, and generally try to make them as accurate and like the original as possible.

I feel very VERY differently about covers myself. I don't see the point in covering a song without changing it up a bit.

I think the way you do too.

Some famous covers have been completely outside of the original's genre.

Plus, it may be something FUN for them to do.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
Plus, it may be something FUN for them to do.
To be fair, recording a cover that's as close to the original can be fun as well. When BTBAM recorded Anatomy Of, they tried to replicate the sound of the originals as closely as possible and said they had a good time of it and learned a lot about the way those songs were made and recorded.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 04:09:20 AM »

I don't think he was that blunt or definitive about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:08 AM »
One question from me: Are DT going to have audio commentary on a DVD if they make another one?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »

I don't think he was that blunt or definitive about it.
It wasn't a flat answer, but it kind of was.  It was something like, "We've all given him the nod to do the producing for DT11."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
Yeah, but JP himself said that he would possibly be open to bringing in someone from outside.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
I want to bump this back up.  B+G, do you have an "official" email account now?

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
Will they continue the Evening With tours?