Author Topic: Gentle Giant appreciation  (Read 24718 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Gentle Giant appreciation
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
*appreciates*  :hefdaddy

The best vocal harmonies in rock IMHO. I'll rank their albums(Interview and before):
1. Free Hand 10/10
2. In A Glass House 9/10
3. Octopus 9/10
4. Three Friends 8.5/10
5. s/t 8/10
6. Acquiring the Taste 8/10
7. The Power And The Glory 7/10
8. Interview 6/10

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Gentle Giant appreciation
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:02:50 PM »
Appreciates.  It took me awhile though.. so quirky and almost geeky-sounding, the definition of 'inaccessible prog'.   I have all the albums on your list.  My favorites are In A Glass House and Octopus, but quite honestly, I haven't even digested it all.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
I haven't gone through it all, but from what I've heard of gentle giant... I appriciate.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »
I haven't gone through it all, but from what I've heard of gentle giant... I appriciate.
this

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »
Appreciates.  It took me awhile though.. so quirky and almost geeky-sounding, the definition of 'inaccessible prog'.   I have all the albums on your list.  My favorites are In A Glass House and Octopus, but quite honestly, I haven't even digested it all.
Yeah, they sure are a hard to digest band. But once you digest it, it's quite amazing.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:09:08 PM »
I'm in a gentle giant tribute band.  We haven't practiced in months, and performed in almost a year, because our schedules are all so super busy and the demand just isn't there in the economy.  We do have a few videos on youtube.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:37 PM »
I'm in a gentle giant tribute band.  We haven't practiced in months, and performed in almost a year, because our schedules are all so super busy and the demand just isn't there in the economy.  We do have a few videos on youtube.
Nice. :) Can I get a link to the channel?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »
I have wanted to get into this band for YEARS now, knowing what a great influence they are on one of my favorite bands ever, Spock's Beard.

Which TWO albums would you suggest to me, as a newcomer to their music with little to know expectations about their sound? I've seen titles like Octopus and In A Glass House thrown around a lot, but I want a couple more suggestions from others before making any commitments. GG is one of the few classic-era prog bands I've yet to digest (along with VDGG, Caravan, and Camel).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »
I have wanted to get into this band for YEARS now, knowing what a great influence they are on one of my favorite bands ever, Spock's Beard.

Which TWO albums would you suggest to me, as a newcomer to their music with little to know expectations about their sound? I've seen titles like Octopus and In A Glass House thrown around a lot, but I want a couple more suggestions from others before making any commitments. GG is one of the few classic-era prog bands I've yet to digest (along with VDGG, Caravan, and Camel).

-Marc.
Personally, if you're starting out, I'd avoid In A Glass House, The Power and the Glory, and Free Hand. Their sort of style is a lot more present in the albums before. To start out, I'd probably go with Octopus and Three Friends, but that's my opinion.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »
Go by discography.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »
Go by discography.  :tup

I've thought about that, considering they only have less than a dozen studio albums, but when I first try to get into a band, I got for two of the more well-known, widely-accept and most critically acclaimed albums... then again, I got VdGG's Godbluff and Still Life before Pawn Hearts and H to He, Who Am The Only One...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
I usually go by discography because that way you can really experience the development and change in their sound. If you listen to my advice, do not give up if you don't like their first album.  ;D But then again, if you really want to start with one of their better known works, most people will tell you to go with Octopus, even though I'm not a huge fan of that one...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »
I usually go by discography because that way you can really experience the development and change in their sound. If you listen to my advice, do not give up if you don't like their first album.  ;D But then again, if you really want to start with one of their better known works, most people will tell you to go with Octopus, even though I'm not a huge fan of that one...

It's funny, I started with Dream Theater's first album, and found out not long after that that was the only album with their original vocalist, so I pushed forward and discovered more about them, so I know all about hearing less-than-spectacular debuts - I've come not to expect so much when it comes to debuts of older bands.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
So, I was about to start a thread but I found this old one. Hope nobody minds I want to appreciate Gentle Giant. They are such a great band. And their live performances are just crazy. The musicianship these guys have is very unique.

APPRECIATE!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
So, I was about to start a thread but I found this old one. Hope nobody minds I want to appreciate Gentle Giant. They are such a great band. And their live performances are just crazy. The musicianship these guys have is very unique.

APPRECIATE!
Indeed. There will never be another band like them. :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
I started with Free Hand and the live album from that tour, Playing the Fool.  Between those two, I was absolutely hooked and ended up getting the entire discography. 

What's especially cool is hearing the differences between the studio and live versions of songs.  They rearranged things, took parts out, and added other parts, because they were constantly messing around with the songs.  They view live albums as a document of how they played the songs at that particular point in time.

I always recommend Free Hand as a starting point because it has all the GG trademarks, but is also relatively accessible and has some killer tunes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
GG for me hit the right mark of hardcore prog without being pretentious. Van der Graaf Generator never (IMHO) managed that fine line,  they often came across as "trying too hard".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
GG for me hit the right mark of hardcore prog without being pretentious. Van der Graaf Generator never (IMHO) managed that fine line,  they often came across as "trying too hard".

Yeah that's understandable. They are pretty in-your-face. :P

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
Man, listening to Pantagruel's Nativity. Such a cool song.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
Heard Octopus, fell in love, heard the debut, fell in love again, bought entire discography.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »

-Marc.
Personally, if you're starting out, I'd avoid In A Glass House, The Power and the Glory, and Free Hand. Their sort of style is a lot more present in the albums before. To start out, I'd probably go with Octopus and Three Friends, but that's my opinion.

i started with Free hand and fell in love with the band, so idk what you're talking about

EDIT: Octopus, TPaTG, and IAGH are my favorites, the rest of the albums are great too, though i could never get into the debut as much as the others

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »

-Marc.

i started with Free hand and fell in love with the band, so idk what you're talking about
Yeah, actually Free Hand probably wouldn't be that bad. The other two, though...

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »
I am bumping this thread because Gentle Giant has become one of my favorite bands. They are truly fantastic and I love all of their music. Too bad they're not around anymore and there isn't much more live videos. I wanted to see the song Giant live :(

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
Pantagruel's Nativity and The Advent of Panurge are such kickass songs. :hefdaddy

I liked Gentle Giant right off the bat, and I started with the debut!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »
Pantagruel's Nativity and The Advent of Panurge are such kickass songs. :hefdaddy

I liked Gentle Giant right off the bat, and I started with the debut!

The Advent of Panurge is pure musical genius. From beginning to end it has me rocking my head and my mind is literally cumming every half second. ATT still leaves me acquiring. I love it, but compared to Gentle Giant-Free Hand, it has been the weakest link. I do like Interview. But you can tell that the first 6 or so albums were the absolute best.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
I love Acquiring the Taste, but it is pretty weird...even weirder than usual for GG, I guess. The guitar solo in The House, The Street, The Room is one of my favorite GG moments.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
I think Yankee Doodle in every Advent of Panurge performance live has to be one of the coolest things ever.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
Too bad they're not around anymore and there isn't much more live videos. I wanted to see the song Giant live :(

If you're in the Chicago area, try to see Gende's Giant, the GG tribute band some time.  That's their opening song, and they sound great.  Splent is their singer, so as  a bonus, you get a chance to meet a fellow DTFer.

Offline GentleTheater

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »
who would believe me now that my hands are free, that my hands are free~

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »
I recently started going through their discography again. Octopus rocks!!  :metal
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:34 AM »
Too bad they're not around anymore and there isn't much more live videos. I wanted to see the song Giant live :(

If you're in the Chicago area, try to see Gende's Giant, the GG tribute band some time.  That's their opening song, and they sound great.  Splent is their singer, so as  a bonus, you get a chance to meet a fellow DTFer.

I have family in the Chicago area, so I'll have to visit  ;D

And Octopus is probably my favorite. Think of Me With Kindness is a masterpiece. And of-fucking-course Knots.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
Love that song. It's so catchy it's insane.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
Love that song. It's so catchy it's insane.

I think Just the Same is catchier.

See me, what I am, what I was, what I'll be :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »
Gentle Giant is just a catchy band in general. Amazing how they can be so complex yet so catchy at the same time. The second half of In a Glass House especially. The riff is one bar of 7/8, one of 10/8, and one of 12/8 and repeats that yet it's so amazingly catchy, as are the vocals over top.