Author Topic: Carvin Guitars  (Read 1920 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Carvin Guitars
« on: November 09, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
I was looking at Carvin's today and I was wondering if any of you have one.  I know they are great guitars and have heard great things about them.

Do they use F spacing or Gibson spacing on the strings though?  What is the playability like on them.  I'm looking at a carved top, the one that kinda looks like a Les Paul.  Any info on your experiences with them would be really helpful.  Thanks all if you are out there.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Carvin Guitars
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
I have a DC127. It plays like fucking butter and it sounds wonderful. If I could do it again, I would get the CT but it's a great alternative to my strat. Unfortunately I'm not really sure about the pickups, I've never messed with 'em. Have you checked out their official forums? The people there were always helpful to me.

Here's a pic.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »
Thanks man, good to hear that it plays well.  I've got a schecter 7 string, fender strat, and an ibanez RG series that it would have to compete with.  I'm looking to get a high end guitar that looks beautiful and is top notch in playability, tone, and quality.  I'll check out the forums.

I'm looking at buying the CS6 guitar.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
I have one of the original carved tops before they offered the fretboard radius option. It's by far the most comfortable guitar I've ever played standing up. I had a very serious injury to my left shoulder several years ago and this is the only guitar that I can play without any substansial discomfort in a live setting.

Mine is a CT4. I got the Holdsworth pickups and and one of the "strat" style bridges (sorry, the name of them escapes me at the moment). My only regret is that I didn't get jumbo frets. I would highly recomend these guitars. I loved my carved top so much that I bought an acoustic/electric from them about a year later. I've never had the slightest issue with either axe.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
What exactly is the difference between medium and jumbo size frets.  I always thought it was how far apart the frets are from each other, but I don't think that's actually the case. 

Also, I don't know what radius to get.  I'm not really sure how that would affect my playing.  And I don't want to choose the wrong one.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
Jumbo frets are taller than medium-sized; they stick out more. And you'd probably be fine with the 14in radius if you play metal.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
I heard the 14 is more similar to an ibanez neck radius.  Although I also have a strat that's real comfy to play.  I'm just trying to figure out what kind of guitar the carvin would be like to play.  I need to compare it to something, I don't want to buy it blindly.

Is there any plus or minus to having frets that stick out more?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
Not really. It's just a feel thing. I've got jumbos on my strat and med-jumbos on my carvin and it's not that much of a difference. Your strat is likely closer to the 10in radius that Carvin offers. It's comfier because it's rounder and easier to chord.

Oh and make sure you get the stainless steel frets. They feel so nice.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
What do you think the difference between an ebony and rosewood fingerboard is besides the darker look?  I've only owned rosewood finger boards.

So many options!  I wonder if i'd be better off with the 12 inch radius compared to 14.  I don't know what's what.  I should try to find out what the radius is for my other guitars. 

EDIT:  I just had a 40 minute conversation with a Carvin sales guy.  Damn they love what they do and know their shit when it comes to guitars.  I really want to buy one, I just need to justify spending the money/ figure out what options I would want.  They were super helpful over the phone.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:13:18 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
I forgot to mention, I have a rosewood fretboard on mine. There is a slight tone difference between rosewood and ebony. In my experience, ebony tends to be a little deeper/bass in tone. You'll be able to hear a slight difference if you choose to get stainless frets, also. They tend to be slightly "brighter" in tone but, the difference isn't huge.

As far as the differences in radius goes, one radius is supposed to be easier for chording and the other is supposed to be easier to do string bends ect...

I guess that the options depend on what kind of stuff you're playing and what your style is ect... I would definately consider laying down the extra cash for taller frets, though. Just my opinion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I have ebony. It's really damn smooth, I like it a lot. Chose it for cosmetic reasons, I don't notice any real tone difference. And yeah, the Carvin salesmen are wonderful. BUYBUYBUY