Author Topic: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!  (Read 87862 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
At least a foot so far, and going strong still.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #421 on: January 27, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
Little shy of a foot here in Queens.  Pretty amazing gradient on the snow depths...Central Park got about 8 inches, but less than 40 miles to the east got (and is still getting) 2+ feet.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: January 27, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »
At least a foot so far, and going strong still.

Had 18" in my driveway, with drifts/plows at almost 3' at the end of it.

Just came in. That was fun! :yeahright
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #423 on: January 27, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »
Just got home and finished snow blowing.  24" so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #424 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
I got maybe 8 inches.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:10 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »
View of my house from the street.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »

Looks about the same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
We're going to end up with 30+ inches here.  Crazy!  I have to snow blow again later this evening.  I also need to rake some snow off the roof.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
If I was still up north, I'd be fighting snow, crappy drivers, and cabin fever.

Outdoor beer and BBQ fest this Saturday down here this weekend.

Which sounds like the better plan?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 15, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »

Totally jealous.   We haven't had snow in the northwest of THAT magnitude in probably more than 5 years.

EDIT:  ....and we didn't have a *single flake* this entire year.   In fact, I think the ski resort near the I-90 pass may be in big trouble....I don't think they had a ski season at all this year.   Maybe we had a few weeks in December.   But right now there's NOTHING in the passes but green grass.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
Clarification....  I just checked and I exaggerated a bit, but not by much.    The most popular ski area (Snoqualmie Summit West) has a total of 12" of snow, with no snowfall in the foreseeable future.   All skiing is closed (even at some of the higher places) but "tubing" is still open in some spots.

Still.....it's pretty bad. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »
I don't see a difference.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: February 16, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
I am furry and cuddly.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #436 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
 :lol

It's been snowing here since yesterday afternoon/evening but there isn't a ton on the ground (maybe 6-8 inches?). I'm working from home for now because I can  :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »
A few still shots:

This was taken BEFORE blizzard #2 which dumped another 2 feet on top of what you see here.

Right after we dug my wife's car out:

This is what that front porch looked like before I shoveled it:

It's hard to see, but down at the street the plow banks were at least 4 feet high:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #439 on: February 17, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »

At MIT, in Cambridge.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
That is nuts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
We got like 3-4 inches of snow here in St. Louis yesterday and it was like the end of the world for some. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #442 on: February 17, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
We got like 3-4 inches of snow here in St. Louis yesterday and it was like the end of the world for some. :lol :lol :lol :lol

It was ridiculous how over the top the newscasts were. I mean you're being nice even mentioning 4".....there might have been 2...possibly 3. Anyway, you'd have thought we were in Boston or something. Sure....the roads were a bit messy and slow....I drove to work and they weren't fun by any means but I'd take that over what King and the rest of these fella's have been getting.

I got home from work around 5:30 yesterday and my wife said our boys had just gotten in and had been sledding since 10:30 that morning  :lol  Man I remember those days....despite being frozen solid you just stay out and keep climbing that hill. She said she called them and the neighbor kids in around 2:00pm and made them all hot chocolate and threw their outer gear and socks in the dryer....then they hit the hills agian for the rest of the day.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #443 on: February 17, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »
The newscasts, especially Weather Channel, are being so over the top with every new storm because it justifies their job somehow. Also this winter storm naming bullshit has got to stop since it seems to have only been created by TWC to add this catastrophic hype around what is, in most cases, a mild snowstorm. I'm surprised they haven't been told to cease it since they're the only ones who use it and its sole purpose is to create fear.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #444 on: February 17, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »

It was ridiculous how over the top the newscasts were. I mean you're being nice even mentioning 4".....there might have been 2...possibly 3. Anyway, you'd have thought we were in Boston or something. Sure....the roads were a bit messy and slow....I drove to work and they weren't fun by any means but I'd take that over what King and the rest of these fella's have been getting.

I got home from work around 5:30 yesterday and my wife said our boys had just gotten in and had been sledding since 10:30 that morning  :lol  Man I remember those days....despite being frozen solid you just stay out and keep climbing that hill. She said she called them and the neighbor kids in around 2:00pm and made them all hot chocolate and threw their outer gear and socks in the dryer....then they hit the hills agian for the rest of the day.

Ah, to be a kid again.

Do you remember the early 90s when we had that ice storm on NYE? I want to say it was maybe 1990 or 1991.  I remember it because we had a big backyard at our house back then, and after that storm, our entire yard was a sheet of ice and we busted out the hockey sticks and puck and played hockey on it.  That was so much fun. :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »

Ah, to be a kid again.

Do you remember the early 90s when we had that ice storm on NYE? I want to say it was maybe 1990 or 1991.  I remember it because we had a big backyard at our house back then, and after that storm, our entire yard was a sheet of ice and we busted out the hockey sticks and puck and played hockey on it.  That was so much futn. :hat

I do, what also happened there out in Eureka (right next to the High School) where I grew up was a large creek tributary for the Meremec River was right by our subdivision. The river and creek flooded....got above flood stage.....then it got really cold and froze solid. The water receded yet the 5"-6" sheet of frozen water was left 10-15 ft up in the trees. It was a sight to see. So you had literally a 6" sheet of ice acting as a ceiling of sorts all through the woods. It was AWESOME! We had a massive BB gun war one day....man it was cool. There were sections/places where the 'ceiling' had collapsed throughout the forest....it was just a surreal experience. Totally wish cell phones would have been common back then cuz I'd do anything to have had some pictures of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
Good stuff. :coolio

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
On a topic-related note, I remember, many years ago, when weather.com wasn't the clickbait shitfest it is now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:55 PM »
Yeah what's with the 6 or so tabloid-like "YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT..." image links that take up the bottom half of a typical page? They're not even related to weather.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #449 on: February 17, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
Yeah, I stopped using that shit a long time ago because of that.

At MIT, in Cambridge.

That's awesome  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #450 on: February 25, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2015, 09:15:24 PM »
Is there a proper way to say that shops name? I say it mentally very straightforward and I swear I lose brain cells.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #452 on: February 27, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »
Given that you ask I'm assuming you are not aware it's a twist on the French term "Pret a porter"? (it's a fashion term, meaning "ready to wear")
Pret a manger means then "ready to eat", and it's pronounced "Pret uh mawnshay"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #453 on: February 27, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
Even if you had a gun to my head I would never had guessed that as the pronunciation. 

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
The snow today was weird. It was gigantic flakes that was super loosely packed. It looked like fake snow or someone dumped coconut everywhere.

Listen! Do you smell something?