Author Topic: "The" Metal Band  (Read 8558 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: "The" Metal Band
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »
Sabbath are the definition of metal I would say, followed closely by Priest and Maiden.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 10:48:56 AM »
I have to give it to Metallica.  Not only the music, but the lifestyle they lead in their peak.  Seriously.  The huge stadiums the legions of fans, the epic music.  They are truly the kings of the genre despite the falloff in their recent years.  Metallica has left a ridiculous legacy that isn't even close to being touched by any other metal band.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
To me metal (and every other genre/style for that matter), don't really have a 'spirit'. They're just types of music, nothing more.
I'd disagree that certain style's of music do have a spirit of their own.

That being said, I don't see why there should be one band to represent a style of music. Its the collection of all the great bands that make the genre so great, not just one large band that does it for me.

Yeah, I agree with you. But this thread is like a little game to see which is the definitive metal band according to everybodies' opinion. Now, of course the goal is not to find what the true metal band is! It's more a way of discussing how everyone's view of metal in general changes from each other.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
Manowar.
Daeth To False Metal. Into glory Ride.
They are Metal.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
I have to give it to Metallica.  Not only the music, but the lifestyle they lead in their peak.  Seriously.  The huge stadiums the legions of fans, the epic music.  They are truly the kings of the genre despite the falloff in their recent years.  Metallica has left a ridiculous legacy that isn't even close to being touched by any other metal band.
agree
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »
Manowar.
Daeth To False Metal. Into glory Ride.
They are Metal.

This.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
JUDAS PRIEST

SABBATH

METALLICA

SCORPIONS

all one would ever need :metal
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
Strappin' Young Lad. Love? is the greatest headbanging song ever.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
I'd rather not metal be represented by a bunch of hick rednecks personally.
Oh not this shit again.

Gojira is my pick. :metal

How do you figure them? I don't really think they would be a good choice for representing all of metal.
Yeah. They might represent a small portion of mainstream metal, but do you think they represent all of trad, doom, death, black, prog, folk, thrash, etc.?

But I stick to Gojira because to me, they are the walking (or running while setting villages on fire) definition of a metal band. And they represent everything there is to love about this genre, IMO.
While I agree on specific aspects, they definitely don't "encompass all that is metal" lyrically, seeing how generally the subject matter of their music is about spirituality and protecting the environment. Unless you count the pre-Gojira material when they were a more straightforward death metal band known as "Godzilla".

My pick goes towards two bands. Firstly, Strapping Young Lad. They have the harsh vocals, the clean vocals, the fast and heavy as fucking fuck guitar, facepounding drums and some very metal subject matter (OH YOU IRONIC POP ROCK FUCK, DON'T YOU FUCK WITH METAL). There's also a lot of humor that floats around metal (often very tongue in cheek) and Strapping touches on that perfectly. Strapping is also one of those metal bands that just sounds NOTHING LIKE any other metal band I can think of, if that has to do with this at all.

My second pick goes out to a band a little more obvious: Iron Maiden. They define, to me, what metal should be. At times it's very dark, terrifying and evil. Other times it's a bit more lighthearted and fun. And throughout their discography, they touch all the different aspects that have brought most metal together.

To me metal (and every other genre/style for that matter), don't really have a 'spirit'. They're just types of music, nothing more.
Sigz, I respect your opinion and all but I have to say I disagree. Metal isn't just about the music. There is an entire sub-culture that goes along with it. It spans out across fan-bases, festivals and even some lifestyles. If you haven't already seen the documentary Metal:A Headbangers Journey, do so now. It sheds a massive amount of light on the concept of metal being a culture within itself.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
dethklok.
they are so metal their name was inspired by (arguably) the best poster on this forum.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
 :lol

Somehow I find that hard to believe. Where's your source on this? Wikipedia?

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
nope. well maybe...

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »
Sigz, I respect your opinion and all but I have to say I disagree. Metal isn't just about the music. There is an entire sub-culture that goes along with it. It spans out across fan-bases, festivals and even some lifestyles. If you haven't already seen the documentary Metal:A Headbangers Journey, do so now. It sheds a massive amount of light on the concept of metal being a culture within itself.

I have seen it, and it's a fantastic movie, but I still don't buy that 'metal isn't just about the music'. Sure, there's some 'brotherhood' of metal fans and whatever bullshit, but in the end the entire sub-culture aspect of it is tertiary to the music. There's plenty of metal bands that have little to do with that culture, and there's plenty of metal fans (like myself) who really don't participate in it.

I know how much you love Maggots, and that's a perfect example of fans who always talk about how you can't understand or appreciate the music without being part of the culture. And frankly, they're probably right for the most part; in their case their music has a true culture to it. But as for metal in general, it's entirely possible to be a part of the music without participating in everything else, and so to me the two aren't one and the same.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »
Budgy.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »

I have seen it, and it's a fantastic movie, but I still don't buy that 'metal isn't just about the music'. Sure, there's some 'brotherhood' of metal fans and whatever bullshit, but in the end the entire sub-culture aspect of it is tertiary to the music. There's plenty of metal bands that have little to do with that culture, and there's plenty of metal fans (like myself) who really don't participate in it.

I know how much you love Maggots, and that's a perfect example of fans who always talk about how you can't understand or appreciate the music without being part of the culture. And frankly, they're probably right for the most part; in their case their music has a true culture to it. But as for metal in general, it's entirely possible to be a part of the music without participating in everything else, and so to me the two aren't one and the same.

Same, because I know some metal enthusiasts and it just comes of as lame to me. I choose not to take it as a culture either because it's just weird to be like that if you live in my family and if you want to be "normal". :lol

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 12:17:29 PM »
I never said you HAD to be apart of the sub-culture. But I still personally acknowledge that it exists and is there.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Using the analogy from above: If aliens asked me what metal was, I would play them Master of Puppets. So, by that logic, Metallica.

However, if the point of the thread so to name a band that symbolizes all that metal could be, then Opeth.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:26:52 PM by juice »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
Budgy.

I think it looks more like Budgie.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
yeah what the fuck ever man who even likes that band  ;D

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »
Budgie is fucking amazing!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
lol

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
Yes.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
I don't think one band can represent all of metal.  :loser:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
I just thought of something interesting and I thought I would get your opinions. I was thinking to myself, "Which band just encompasses all that is metal?" Now, you have the answers that everyone would give like Maiden, Metallica, Priest, and Sabbath but I am trying to avoid those because I think that while they are most certainly metal, they don't seem to portray what metal has become and what it should be in the future. To me metal is just in your face music and after some thought, I have come up with a list that, to me, just makes up metal. (Note, this is not a "your favorite metal band" thread, because as you can see, despite my epic Metallica fanboism, I left them out) So...what about you guys?

Machine Head
Sepultura
Pantera

Of all of those, if I was to have a Martian listen to a song that just defined all that I thought was metal, I would probably play Davidian by Machine Head, Refuse/Resist by Sepultura(or Roots Bloody Roots, I really can't choose), or Cowboys from Hell by Pantera.

I mean...look at these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMvWQwOdYe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t7qazLruC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYFaE_ZyuQg

edit: OK!OK!OK!OK! I just have to add Metallica because I am a fucking fanboy and I caved!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEL6_SuQCu8 (I think this might be the only illegal one, if it is, please take it down)

:-[ You named Sepultura's ultra-shitty -core releases . . . haven't you ever heard their masterworks like Beneath the Remains? That record 1000x more represents what metal is than the stuff you posted. Does this entire generation think that the best in metal is dumbed-down 2-note chunk riffs with rap-metal vocals over the top of it  :facepalm:?

Offline jsem

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »
I just thought of something interesting and I thought I would get your opinions. I was thinking to myself, "Which band just encompasses all that is metal?" Now, you have the answers that everyone would give like Maiden, Metallica, Priest, and Sabbath but I am trying to avoid those because I think that while they are most certainly metal, they don't seem to portray what metal has become and what it should be in the future. To me metal is just in your face music and after some thought, I have come up with a list that, to me, just makes up metal. (Note, this is not a "your favorite metal band" thread, because as you can see, despite my epic Metallica fanboism, I left them out) So...what about you guys?

Machine Head
Sepultura
Pantera

Of all of those, if I was to have a Martian listen to a song that just defined all that I thought was metal, I would probably play Davidian by Machine Head, Refuse/Resist by Sepultura(or Roots Bloody Roots, I really can't choose), or Cowboys from Hell by Pantera.

I mean...look at these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMvWQwOdYe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t7qazLruC8

edit: OK!OK!OK!OK! I just have to add Metallica because I am a fucking fanboy and I caved!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEL6_SuQCu8 (I think this might be the only illegal one, if it is, please take it down)

:-[ You named Sepultura's ultra-shitty -core releases . . . haven't you ever heard their masterworks like Beneath the Remains? That record 1000x more represents what metal is than the stuff you posted. Does this entire generation think that the best in metal is dumbed-down 2-note chunk riffs with rap-metal vocals over the top of it  :facepalm:?

Rap metal is absolutely horrifying.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
:lol

Chaos AD and Roots are -core and rap metal. Ha. Ha. No.