Author Topic: Bible in a Year! v. February  (Read 46082 times)

Offline mentalny

• Croatia DT fan
Re: Bible in a Year!
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »
I am sorry fora sking, but you are making some Bible reading meeting or ? :smiley: I do not understand ,so sorry for stupid question !

P.S. is it better to start reading from New Testament ? Bunch of people who are involved in studying Bible told me that.
Let the light surround you !

Offline Ħ

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
I am sorry fora sking, but you are making some Bible reading meeting or ? :smiley: I do not understand ,so sorry for stupid question !

P.S. is it better to start reading from New Testament ? Bunch of people who are involved in studying Bible told me that.

We are not doing a personal meeting...we are just going to be discussing things as we go through the Bible.  For example, lets say week one we read and discuss Genesis 1-21.  Anyone that has anything interesting to bring up or discuss can be done.

It is probably better for a beginner to start with the New Testament.  However, since 1) most people have already read at least parts of the NT, and 2) we want to get the "cover-to-cover" experience, we'll be starting with the Old.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline mentalny

• Croatia DT fan
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
Thanx for replying :) :)

It is cool to read that DT fans are going through things like that .. Full respect !
Let the light surround you !

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
NT may be easier, especially to understand, but yeah, OT is better for this.  :laugh:

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2010, 07:47:56 AM »
The NT is good but you wont understand it without a good knowledge of the OT. The NT writers refer to and even cite OT references alot. not just a little bit, alooooooooooot.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »
I agree that you won't completely understand the NT if you start with it, but seeing as the days when the OT applied are over, I don't really see why anyone should start with the OT first.  Plus it's incredibly daunting and would probably be a major turnoff.

That said, the first verse of the first book of the NT refer to two major OT characters God made promises to, which are fulfilled by the NT.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
It is incredibly daunting, and incredibly boring but they go together. They're a canonical unit for a reason, and when you've got people who are reading it with you and who already know stuff in the NT you will be able to have it brought alive for you.

Also if that's still not enough, read the NT while you read the OT. No-one's stopping you except yourself.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 06:16:12 PM »
I agree that you won't completely understand the NT if you start with it, but seeing as the days when the OT applied are over, I don't really see why anyone should start with the OT first.  Plus it's incredibly daunting and would probably be a major turnoff.

That said, the first verse of the first book of the NT refer to two major OT characters God made promises to, which are fulfilled by the NT.

I have a hunch there are some people who disagree with you.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
I think he means if you have never read the OT and have no prior knowledge of it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
Yeah, but I thought this was supposed to be a straight Bible read.  Coming at it from a Christian perspective defeats the purpose.  Or so I thought.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
Yeah, but I thought this was supposed to be a straight Bible read.  Coming at it from a Christian perspective defeats the purpose.  Or so I thought.

Yeah, but I'm just saying in general it's good to start with the NT for people living in the twenty-first century.  We'll be sticking with a straight read here, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
I still don't understand the thinking behind saying it's better to start with the NT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
I still don't understand the thinking behind saying it's better to start with the NT.

you would make a good jew  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2010, 12:05:46 AM »

you would make a good jew  :)
I know a Messianic Jew who told me the same thing.

I told him I would convert except for Sukkot.  He lol'd.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »
 :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Bible in a Year! v. It's almost time...
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »
I'm in as well. I began to read the 'Bible in a year' every year 4 years ago so 2011 will be the start of my 5th. It'll be nice to have an area to come and discuss or even lend an opinion. I like to read out of the NKJV but also keep a NASB study Bible close by for reference.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
I'm not religious but I'm going to give this a shot, the Bible has been something that I've always wanted to read.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
OK, so I guess we'll get started on this tomorrow, right?  Genesis 1-3?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »
Oh snap! We are ON! I haven't seen much of BrotherH around. Is he running it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
Oh snap! We are ON! I haven't seen much of BrotherH around. Is he running it?
He's been around.  I guess he's "running" it, but whether he is or not, it is still up to us to do the daily reading.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
I was wondering because are just doing 3 chapters a day, or who is deciding this? Don't wanna search this thread.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
Still here.  Someone said that I post too much so I decided to hang back a bit more.

Reading for January 1 is Genesis 1-3.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
I'm still in, but I'm also putting together my own yearly reading program for my kids that takes them through a good chunk, but not everything, and has much shorter readings.  They're 5 and 7 (almost 6 and 8), and both very good readers, but I need to make sure not to overload them and to try to keep it age-appropriate.  I want them to read through 2 of the gospels, and we just went through Mark.  So here's my general outline for them, in case anyone is interested:

-Starting off with the the gospel of John.  It's very different than Mark, and makes a lot of ties to Jesus being present in the OT, so I think it is a great place to start with them this year.  After that, we'll be going mostly chronological.
-Most of Genesis through Exodus 20
-Just a bit from Numbers about the Israelits complaining and being denied entrance to the promise land.
-One reading from Deuteronomy when Moses is addressing the Israelits and turning things over to Joshua.
-Excertps from Joshua, Judges, and Ruth to give them some of the basic stories.
-For the united kingdom years, I'll excerpt a bit about Saul, David, and Solomon, focusing more on David.  I'll spinkle in a small handful of the shorter psalms and some individual proverbs here.
-Divided kingdom:  I'll probably spend only about a week, excerpting some stories that are more significant.
-Exile and return:  Most of the first half and then the end of Daniel should cover most of the exile for now.  I'll cover just a bit from Ezra and Nehemiah for maybe two days' worth of readings.  I may also work in a 1-2 day excerpt of Esther if there ends up being room in the outline.  Maybe also just a few short readings from Isaiah, Jeremiah, and one or two of the minor prophets.  Not sure yet.
-Luke
-Excerpts from Acts.  I wanna chop it down to about 1/3-1/2.  I'll sprinkle in a few short readings from the episltes where they would fit.
-Excerpt from Revelation.  Mabye about 3 chapters' worth of material.

The outline is coming along great.  It's fun putting it together.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »
That is really cool.  Do you homeschool them?

Also did you got my PM a couple weeks ago?  I didn't save a copy for the outbox so I am doubting if I ever even sent it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »

If you want to call it that.  We keep them locked in the basement with only a flashlight, a Bible, and a small tv/VCR combo unit with only the DVD for Expelled.  We slide a bowl of porridge through a slot in the door twice a day.  Overall, I think we're doing right by them.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »

If you want to call it that.  We keep them locked in the basement with only a flashlight, a Bible, and a small tv/VCR combo unit with only the DVD for Expelled.  We slide a bowl of porridge through a slot in the door twice a day.  Overall, I think we're doing right by them.  :biggrin:

JESUS CHRIST DUDE!!!!

Spoil them much?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2010, 06:27:44 PM »
Oh damn it put me down for a read..

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2011, 04:00:22 AM »
You know, Zechariah 14, John 1 and Revelation 21 are really cool to read alongside this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2011, 05:27:15 AM »
I was wondering because are just doing 3 chapters a day, or who is deciding this? Don't wanna search this thread.

Here was the schedule. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.ewordtoday.com/year/31/bjan01.htm

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2011, 06:13:25 AM »
The study of the Pentateuch will be very interesting, especially the books of Genesis, Exodus, and Numbers, as we will be able to see in action the elements of the Documentary Hypothesis: the theory of the assembling of four originally separate texts to constitute what we now know as the Pentateuch.  If you aren't familiar with the hypothesis, this article is decent as an introduction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis  Yes, I know that now there are other theories out there, but I have read them, and to me the Documentary Hypothesis still makes the most sense.

Here in the first 3 chapters, we get some of the seeds of the theory.  We have 2 separate and complete versions of the story of creation.  The first is in Genesis 1:1 - 2:3, and the second one is in Genesis 2:4 - 25.  The first is from the Priestly source (known as P), which is relatively late, and the second one is from the Yahwist source (known as J), which is the earliest source.  Some of the characteristics of P include the use of the Hebrew word elohim for "God" and a depiction of God as transcendent and non-anthropomorphic; God does not personally do things, but rather commands them to happen and they do.  In the P source, a person could not have intimate knowledge of God, because God was too transcendent and non-human-like.  Some of the characteristics of J include the use of the personal name of God, the Tetragrammaton (later translated as adonai or The LORD in English translations, to avoid depiction of The Name), as well as depicting God in anthropomorphic terms.  God makes and forms things, and places things in various locations, and makes things for the humans.  He makes Adam by hand, and breathes life into him.  He then takes a rib from Adam and makes Eve.  He has a personal and intimate relationship with Adam & Eve.

Then, of course, in Chapter 3 (also from J), we get the story of the Temptation and the Fall.  What a brilliant depiction of human nature this is.  I know that many Christians point to this story as the foundation of the concept of sin from which we need saving, but please try to read the story for what it is - there is no such concept in the text.  There is no mention in the text that the serpent is Satan.  He is just a serpent.  All of that stuff is later Christian retconning.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
Two things about the Documentary Hypothesis that I have a problem with:

1) It is just a theory.  It is based on internal rather than external evidence. There is no substantial manuscript evidence that demands that the DH must be true.  Rather, the reason scholars divide the Pentateuch like they do is based on their own method of categorization.  To a lesser degree, it is similar to a person claiming that Shakespeare couldn't have written both Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet, since one is comedic and the other is tragic.

2) There are so many apparent so-called contradictions that are close in proximity, such as the two creation accounts, and God's commandment to Noah in regard to what types of animals and how many he is to bring on the ark.  If the Documentary Hypothesis is true, the Redactor must have been either blind or extremely lax when he caught these mistakes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
Personally, I thnk thinkgs like DH should be in their own thread.  I can see going so deep down that road that pretty soon, we lose sight of discussing what a given daily reading actually says.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »
I think it's covered by this thread.  I thought the whole purpose was to read the Bible with "fresh eyes" and comment upon it, and the two narratives in Genesis certainly falls under that (and the Documentary Hypothesis).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
What do people think about the "gap theory" that says that between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2 there was a spanse of time during which Lucifer and the angels fell from heaven?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
I lump it together with the theory that Peter Pan was really a girl, Santa lives in the North Pole, and other things that aren't remotely mentioned in the text.