Author Topic: Bible in a Year! v. February  (Read 46165 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Bible in a Year! v. January
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
I think the exact same verse in the NT that you (bosk1) are referring to emphasizes melody in music (I can't recall the verse).
Even if it does...this doesn't.
I'm acting on the assumption that you can interpret some passages in light of others.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
I think the exact same verse in the NT that you (bosk1) are referring to emphasizes melody in music (I can't recall the verse).
I'm acting on the assumption that you can interpret some passages in light of others.
But why these?  Since what you are arguing simply isn't the point of the story?

You appear to be inventing connections where there are none.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »
But why these?  Since what you are arguing simply isn't the point of the story?

You appear to be inventing connections where there are none.
I understand it's not the primary point of the story, but it's an interesting connection that makes you think.  When you look at what the whole Bible has to say about music, this verse shouldn't be discarded.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
Yes it should, because this passage isn't saying anything about music.  It's saying something about idolatry.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #389 on: January 27, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
Primarily yeah.  But music is involved.  From this passage we can glean the truth that music can be used for evil purposes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:30 AM »
Primarily yeah.  But music is involved.  From this passage we can glean the truth that music can be used for evil purposes.
From this passage we can glean the truth that music is an essential part of worship.  But worship should be reserved for God alone.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2011, 05:38:12 AM »
Exactly.  See how the truths just keep rollin' on in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »
But the passage has NOTHING to do with what are the proper KINDS of music.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
:lol

The truths are rollin' in.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
I am officially in Lev....eeek!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
'grats.

Finishing up Genesis today...I've been getting in about 8 ch per day but I'll be able to get thru Exodus this weekend.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
Hymns have more "rhythm" than all modern worship songs, although that really doesn't make any sense as ALL songs have rhythm. Besides, they wouldn't have been singing hymns then as the Psalms weren't written until years later and modern hymns as we know them today weren't written until at least the 1700's.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2011, 04:09:56 AM »
Back to the daily reading...

In today's selection, we get Moses speaking further with the Lord, and his request to see the Lord's glory, with the Lord acquiescing to a back view.  We then get the new tablets of the covenant, and more instruction from God, and the radiant face of Moses.  We then get more Sabbath regulations, and then an account of willing workers and artisans performing the tasks which had been laid out by the Lord.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2011, 05:53:22 AM »
And in today's reading, 36-38, we get still more detail about the Tabernacle etc.

BTW, whereas much of Exodus has seen the various documents of J, E, and P really interwoven by the Redactor (with a heavy dose of E), this entire ending section of the book is entirely P (which makes sense).

Exodus is almost done!  But Leviticus awaits...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
Bah, got behind this weekend.

Will be able to catch up this weekend.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
I am a bit behind due to lots of stuff and reading other portions of the Bible. Sorry! Will be caught up soon, probably tomorrow! :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #401 on: January 31, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
I am a bit behind due to lots of stuff and reading other portions of the Bible. Sorry! Will be caught up soon, probably tomorrow! :)
yeah, me too.  I'll probably be a little behind until we hit the really short chapters in...uh...Psalms.  :|

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #402 on: February 01, 2011, 07:58:51 AM »
January went by in a flash.  Lots of interesting stuff.  On to February!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

Re: Bible in a Year! v. February
« Reply #403 on: February 01, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
Read about 30 chapters today.  About halfway through Exodus.  Almost caught up.  But for some reason Exodus is a much faster and interesting read than Genesis (at least up until Sinai). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Bible in a Year! v. February
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2011, 04:59:08 AM »
So, I guess I will lock this.