Author Topic: DT collection  (Read 89604 times)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
Re: DT collection
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
I guess it depends on your perspective.  I personally don't collect bootlegs at all, other than a couple of especially unique ones here and there.  Others seem to feel differently though...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »
Is the one with the yellow symbol a newer print or a knockoff?

It's an earlier mispressing... I think it was on the first pressings from the UK and maybe Korea or something?  It wasn't supposed to be yellow, but the yellow ones are still legit.

How do you guys find the obscure stuff....like the IaW vinyl, for example?  Just wait for it to crop up on ebay or something?  I'm not really sure how the "hunting" process works...

Sometimes I'll hear/see something come up, but I usually don't care at the moment.  Do you usually buy something anyway, since you have the opportunitye, in hopes that you will want it later?

That reminds me. I'd still like to find a copy of that mispressing.

As for me, I'll find stuff at record stores or record shows.  Although, I used to be able to find a lot more stuff than I do now.

I just collect stuff that interests me.   Anything that is promotional usually interests me.

I collect bootlegs, but I would only pay for "silvers" which are mostly from the days before file sharing was wide spread. I still collect CDR boots, but I'm not really as active as I once was and there is a lot more to choose from than there used to be.

Offline Franz

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
Just curious, but what do you do for a living that allows you to spend what seems to be an incredible amount of money on DT merch and rarities

Well... I've been building this collection for about 12-13 years now, and I spend a LOT of time hunting for deals, so I amassed a lot of my stuff at relatively low prices before DT's popularity skyrocketed, and I probably haven't spend nearly as much as people seem to think... I'm currently a lawyer, but most of collection was built while I wasn't even really working.

Also, this is my favorite DT collection
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2363241&high=franz

Franz's collection is, without a doubt, the largest non band member DT collection in the world.  Although I do have a few things he doesn't :P.

I have to admit you're right, Chris. You have incredible items I don't think I can get one day  :azn: Regarding your interrogations, I'm near of my 54th anniversary, I'm not married and I don't have children. I'm working as commercial agent in an internet/phone company for almost 35 years. I know the band since April 17th 1989 and I'm seriously collecting since 1992. I've seen the band 36 times in 9 different countries. You can see my face on the Metropolis 2000 dvd / Photos section / 7th minute... I'm wearing a sleeveless jean jacket and a "Vanden Plas" T-shirt...

I recently (between sept. 10th and dec. 8th) had some problems updating my collection but things are OK now : Check it here :https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Accueil

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Biggest DT collection
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
I can't find anyone who has done this before on the forums. (Please tell me if they have) But, if you want, link or post a picture of your DT collection. CDs, DVDs, VHSs. (Bootlegs, official)
I know my collection isn't particularly great, I just think its interesting!

sorry for the low res. it was taken on an ipad, as my camera is dead

edit: I do have 6DOIT. I just couldn't find it  :sad:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:47:06 PM by James Mypetgiress »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Biggest DT collection
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
Inb4 ZepDT

« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
What's the three inbetween Train of Thought and Images and Words?

I shall post mine soonish. I do plan to pre-order BTFW with the CDs and poster.

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
What's the three inbetween Train of Thought and Images and Words?

I shall post mine soonish. I do plan to pre-order BTFW with the CDs and poster.
From left to right:
1. An Event Near Paris (A Dramatic Tour Of Events)
2. Dream Theater: Live on BBC Radio 1 (07/02/1995)
3. Who's That On The Keys (20/08/1994) - 1 off performance with Jordan Rudess!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »
Inb4 ZepDT

:tup :rollin

Yeah, Zep will have the largest one on the forum. He's got stuff a majority of fans didn't even know existed, and doubles of some of those as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2014, 01:57:32 PM »
Inb4 ZepDT

:tup :rollin

Yeah, Zep will have the largest one on the forum. He's got stuff a majority of fans didn't even know existed, and doubles of some of those as well!

-Marc.
So that's what that meant  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »
He's not really active here much anymore, though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
Its funny, I expected someone to immediately post a collection of 1000+ bootlegs and stuff, yet, its been 5 mins and I still have the biggest collection... its the only one so far, but, im counting this as +1 to me!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
Yes, this topic has been done before.  Aside from the archived thread, there is one here in the active DT section, which I have merged yours with.  Please use the search function before starting new threads.  Finding the old one was not tricky at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
Yes, this topic has been done before.  Aside from the archived thread, there is one here in the active DT section, which I have merged yours with.  Please use the search function before starting new threads.  Finding the old one was not tricky at all.
Sorry. I just sorta breezed over this one, I though people would get pissed off about me posting on a thread from 4 years ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
Nope, if it is an active thread and you want to discuss pretty much the exact same topic, you should use the existing thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Here's my ENTIRE DT collection:

CDs-

1) When Dream and Day Unite
2) Images and Words
3) Live at the Marquee
4) Awake
5) A Change of Seasons/Uncovered
6) Falling Into Infinity
7) Once in a LiveTime
8) Scenes from a Memory
9) Live Scenes From new York
10) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
11) Train of Thought
12) Live at Budokan
13) Octavarium
14) Score
15) Systematic Chaos (including the "making of" DVD)
16) Black Clouds & Silver Linings (3-disc set including cover songs and instrumental versions)
17) A Dramatic Turn of Events (including the "Spirit Carries On" DVD)
18) Dream Theater ("12")

A "Bootleg" of tracks I downloaded from a service called "kazaa light" about ten years ago which consists of the following:

1) Eve
2) Oh Holy Night
3) Moon Bubbles ("The Two Johns" jamming)
4) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John cover/outtake from "LiveTime" show)
5) Hey You (Pink Floyd cover)
6) Speak to Me (from fan club show)
7) You Not Me (Live)
8) Dream & Day/Images Medley (from "Metropolis 2000" tour)
9) Red Hill Mining Town (poor quality recording of a U2 cover from the "Uncovered " show)
10) To Live Forever (Studio recording with James singing)
11) Medley of yes music with Steve Howe "sitting in." (ALSO from the "Uncovered" show, but a MUCH better recording!)

DVDs-

1) Live in Tokyo/5 Years in a LiveTime
2) Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York
3) Live at Budokan
4) Score

CD/DVD combo packs:
1) Chaos in Motion
2) Live at Luna Park
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:11:56 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
I got the 12 (and a half) studio albums, I think all the official live albums and dvds and almost all of the 'official' bootlegs. So it's probably easier to say what I'm missing. I still need to get my hands on Santiago, Chile 12/6/05 and Bucharest, Romania 7/4/02 DVDs, especially Bucharest, I'd kill for that. Also missing all the 'Lazy Tomato' Liquid Tension releases which I am certainly interested in.

Then I have over 100gb of fan/unofficial bootlegs and other obscurities on this computer. It's out of control, I've sorted a lot of it but realistically I've only listened to maybe quarter of it all and that's taken me years.  :lol I would like to collect more physical boots but can't always justify spending money on these obsessions.  :xbones

Would love to start collecting vinyls but again.. need to justify it or have some extra spare change one day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:58:30 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Here is a summary of my physical collection based on the different categories:

Studio Albums – all including "A Change of Seasons"
Live Albums - in CD form - only if they are different from DVD release
Compilation - Greatest Hit (...and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)
Single - Physical CD of "Through Her Eyes"
Video Albums – all and in Blu-ray when available
Fanclub Release - Romavarium DVD
Other - Gigantour DVD

I’ve also got digital only copies of nearly every other release.  That brings my calculation for completeness to 98.6% complete.  They only thing I’m missing is the “A Walk Beside the Band” DVD.

For unofficial bootlegs, I'm just getting started and consider them to be frosting on my chocolate DT cake.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
It occurred to me that people may have different views on what is the complete DT collection.  I am proposing the following.  If you have a different idea, let us know.

Studio Albums (12)
Live Albums - CD (3)
Compilation Albums (1)
EP's (2)
Singles - Physical CD (5)
Video Albums (8)
Official Bootlegs (22)
Fanclub Releases (14)
Other (4)
1. The Atco Demos
2. Gigantour DVD
3. Lifting Shadows Companion CD
4. Raw Dog

Edit - Ok, I was really short sighted (see post below from bl5150) We need to include "speciality releases" like LPs, Long boxes, books, clothing . . . well it looks like I need to revise my "completeness percentage."  . . . . sheesh, I've got a lot of work to do . . .
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:01:21 PM by Another_Won »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

Overall my DT collection isn't anything special .............all the studio albums , a few live ones ( Japan, Marquee, LALP etc...) , Cleaning Out The Closet and a few official boots.  I used to have a couple of JP Ibanez guitars but they're long gone.

If anything my "Images and Words collection" is the pinnacle of my DT stuff - I recently posted this photo in my Top 50.  It's the I&W sealed longbox with expanded art on the front left. Others……..original German pressing, white Brookvale , red/gold swirl Brookvale sealed No 6 and another red/gold unsealed signed by MP.  There's a Japanese I&W tour book somewhere about , but not in the photo.

The only other impressive DT collection I have is clothing  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
I have:

-An hourglass FII promo item
-Japanese tour books of ACOS, Awake, and Images
-All of the US tour books (or at least most of them)
-Autographed copies of most studio albums (including ACOS) and original members. I think I might be missing Images, but I don't know.
-I have two DT Majesty symbol rings (by a dutch jeweler during SFAM era I think)

I have all DT fanzines, many magazine articles, XMas CDs (all), drumstick, autographed drumheads, and some other items I can't remember.

Right now my collection is in boxes since I moved and never opened them up. If anybody is interested in something, let me know and for the right price I might part ways (especially the japanese tourbooks and the extra ring)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
Here's a picture of the hourglass

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/137/p1010553q.jpg

Sorry about the size, can't make it quite bigger with this new imageshack thing

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2014, 03:53:20 AM »
Turns out my collection is tiny in comparison to almost everyone's here! I also have a download of ACOS, but not a physical copy. I used to have one, but I lent it to a friend and never got it back. I also have 4 DT t-shirts.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »
I have all the studio albums plus ACOS. Never really saw a need for anything else.

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
I have all the studio albums plus ACOS. Never really saw a need for anything else.
I get your point. I never really saw the point in getting the demos. I'm fine with the studio albums & some live stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
Not really impressive. Studio albums minus WDADU, TOT and SC. Plus ACOS and OIALT.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:45:15 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
The last time I saw ZepDT, I think the topic came up of hosting a display of his collection in the venue prior to the next NY-area DT show.  His collection is just so wonderful that it deserves a stage, just once.  We weren't really sure how to go about making that happen.  I did shoot off an e-mail to whatever contact address was on Petrucci's website, but never heard back.  I still think this has to happen one day though. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:41:21 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
The last time I saw ZepDT, I think the topic came up of hosting a display of his collection in the venue prior to the next NY-area DT show.  His collection is just so wonderful that it needs a stage, just once.  We weren't really sure how to go about making that happen.  I did shoot off an e-mail to whatever contact address was on Petrucci's website, but never heard back.  I still think this has to happen one day though. 

I've actually been trying to get in touch with the people at the Long Island Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so I can loan them some of my stuff and have them set up a DT exhibit, but I'm starting to lose faith that they'll ever even manage to get a physical location.  I met a rep of theirs in a local library a few months ago where they were promoting themselves and I told the lady my story and she seemed interested and took my contact info, but I haven't heard anything since.

I actually might start selling a few items here and there in the near future... It's been years since I've added anything new and half my stuff just sits in the back of my closet now.  I think the most recent stuff I've got is from Systematic Chaos... :/

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
p.s. ~ I started a thread on my collection like 2 years ago... kind of forgot about it, but if I can find some time maybe I'll try to revive it and add some more stuff... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35080.0

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2014, 11:18:25 AM »
p.s. ~ I started a thread on my collection like 2 years ago... kind of forgot about it, but if I can find some time maybe I'll try to revive it and add some more stuff... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35080.0

YES!  That thread was awesome. Very, very interesting stuff.

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
Please do! reading that was very interesting! would have loved to get my hand on the lyrics sheets! :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »
James Mypetgiress, I've got to say that's the creepiest James pic for an avatar I've ever seen. :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:06 AM »
James Mypetgiress, I've got to say that's the creepiest James pic for an avatar I've ever seen. :lol
you think?  :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2014, 05:01:27 AM »
 :lol

I've met Zep.  Cool as shit. I'd say he's obsessed more with The Dear Hunter these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »
:lol

I've met Zep.  Cool as shit. I'd say he's obsessed more with The Dear Hunter these days.

The Dear Hunter and Coheed the last I spoke with him.

I'm downsizing my Dream Theater/Rush collection too, but you already knew that.