Author Topic: DT collection  (Read 89610 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DT collection
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
I also have the leather jacket....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
Just wondering, does anyone else have the DTSOM official bootleg DVD in a folded card sleeve. I ask because all the pics I've seen are in normal DVD cases and mines isnt :S

Matt

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »
Just wondering, does anyone else have the DTSOM official bootleg DVD in a folded card sleeve. I ask because all the pics I've seen are in normal DVD cases and mines isnt :S

Matt

Sounds like you have a pirated (non-official) copy. AFAIK, all the DVDs  from YJR have always been released in traditional DVD cases, and CDs have always been released in jewel cases.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »
Just curious, but what do you do for a living that allows you to spend what seems to be an incredible amount of money on DT merch and rarities

Well... I've been building this collection for about 12-13 years now, and I spend a LOT of time hunting for deals, so I amassed a lot of my stuff at relatively low prices before DT's popularity skyrocketed, and I probably haven't spend nearly as much as people seem to think... I'm currently a lawyer, but most of collection was built while I wasn't even really working.

Also, this is my favorite DT collection
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2363241&high=franz

Franz's collection is, without a doubt, the largest non band member DT collection in the world.  Although I do have a few things he doesn't :P.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »
Well. that's pretty cool than. Especially scoring that WDADU Album release invite.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »
Well. that's pretty cool than. Especially scoring that WDADU Album release invite.

I got that straight from Charlie D.  :)

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »

Lucky! I'm just proud to own the WDADU Demos previously owned by him, I can't imagine what it's like to have that.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »
Also, this is my favorite DT collection
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2363241&high=franz
Now that's a HUGE collection!  :omg:

How does one afford all of that? Seriously.. hahahahah

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:50 AM »
^^^ Well, he's in his 50's and I'm pretty sure is not married and doesn't have any kids... I'm not sure what he does for a living, but I would imagine that situation allows you to have a little bit more disposable income.  Plus, he's been collecting for probably 15 - 20 years now, and probably gets some decent hookups being the Vice President of the French DT fan club.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
I saw that he had Snow in the side projects. Did any DT member have any part in that album?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
Not that I'm aware of... No idea why that would be in there.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
As well as Feel euphoria. He's obviously just trying to make his collection bigger, maybe there's no DT in most of those magazines and compilations.  :lol

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
I mean, unless maybe they're "thanked" in the liner notes and he's counting that?  Seems like that might be stretching things a bit though...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »
He also included counterfeits.  No idea why.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 01:16:17 PM »
It's still one helluva collection, though.  ;D

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
As well as Feel euphoria. He's obviously just trying to make his collection bigger, maybe there's no DT in most of those magazines and compilations.  :lol
I'll admit that in a few of those PROG magazines from my collection, DT is just mentioned in an advertisement or in passing, but they are mentioned at least once
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »

I've got one of those too. As of now I'm keeping it unframed and unsigned. It's sitting in a scrapbook with various Majesty press photos and other materials. I got it at a record show more than 10 years ago.

I'm actually going to a record show tomorrow in New Hope. I don't expect to find much, but the only way to know for sure is to go. Hopefully prices will be reasonable. It's a crapshoot these days.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
(no wide angle lens available)
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2010, 04:48:35 AM »
Um, I have Images & Words: Live in Tokyo on VHS.  And Images & Words and Awake on cassette.

And that Systematic Chaos promo print signed by all 5 members of the band.

Oh, and the event shirt from the RCMH show.  That's it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2010, 05:24:30 AM »
And Images & Words and Awake on cassette.

What's a "cassette"?

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »

Matt

Sounds like you have a pirated (non-official) copy. AFAIK, all the DVDs  from YJR have always been released in traditional DVD cases, and CDs have always been released in jewel cases.

Oh dear, looks authentic enough to me, I'll post some pics later, and let you expert collectors decide  :smiley:

Matt

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:47 AM »
Heres a link to a Photobucket album containing some images of my copy:

https://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/MajorMatt/DSOTM%20Bootleg/

Hopefully someonecan shed some light on whether or not it is pirated. If this is the case it is a very good job, the Disc looks exactly the same as other YJR stuff I have and the sleeve has a very good professional print job done.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
Yeah, that's definitely a pirated copy.  The legit ones are all in regular DVD cases.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 10:02:01 AM »
Yeah, that's definitely a pirated copy.  The legit ones are all in regular DVD cases.

Bummer :|

Thanks,
Matt

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 10:11:28 AM »
All I have:
CDs -
When Dream and Day Unite
Images and Words
Awake
A Change of Seasons
Falling into Infinity
Scenes from a Memory
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Live Scenes from New York
Live at Budokan
Score

DVDs -
Images in Words Live in Tokyo/ 5 Years in a Livetime
Live at Budokan
Score
Chaos in Motion

Question:  I had let a friend borrow Live at Budokan, and he lost the cd case.  I hate having cds without cases, so I want to just buy another copy now.  I've seen some that the majesty symbol is yellow on the front.  On the one I bought it was barely visible, like a light grey color I think.  Is the one with the yellow symbol a newer print or a knockoff?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 10:44:35 AM »

Thanks,
Matt
Did you get it from Ytsejam Records?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »

Thanks,
Matt

No it was bought new from eBay here in the UK as a gift for me. It was bought from ebay to save the time of shipping it from the States.

I guess buying from eBay also increases the likelyhood that you get pirated goods.

Matt

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 03:33:56 PM »

And they don't have that crappy version of DT's logo on the cover!   :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »

Thanks,
Matt

No it was bought new from eBay here in the UK as a gift for me. It was bought from ebay to save the time of shipping it from the States.

I guess buying from eBay also increases the likelyhood that you get pirated goods.

Matt
Yes.  They can't be bought new from eBay, only from Ytsejam.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
I am really inspired to start a collection!

I am just a poor boy...how much do you guys spend a year?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »

As much or as little as you want. Start with getting all the official DT releases (including the bootlegs) and then work your way from there!  ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »

As much or as little as you want. Start with getting all the official DT releases (including the bootlegs) and then work your way from there!  ;)

Sounds good.  I'm already well on my way.

How do you guys find the obscure stuff....like the IaW vinyl, for example?  Just wait for it to crop up on ebay or something?  I'm not really sure how the "hunting" process works...

Sometimes I'll hear/see something come up, but I usually don't care at the moment.  Do you usually buy something anyway, since you have the opportunitye, in hopes that you will want it later?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »
Is the one with the yellow symbol a newer print or a knockoff?

It's an earlier mispressing... I think it was on the first pressings from the UK and maybe Korea or something?  It wasn't supposed to be yellow, but the yellow ones are still legit.

How do you guys find the obscure stuff....like the IaW vinyl, for example?  Just wait for it to crop up on ebay or something?  I'm not really sure how the "hunting" process works...

Sometimes I'll hear/see something come up, but I usually don't care at the moment.  Do you usually buy something anyway, since you have the opportunitye, in hopes that you will want it later?

I usually just keep an eye on ebay and look for stuff with good prices.  If its somethign super obscure I'll usually try to grab it when I can... but with stuff that pops up semi-regularly or even only once in a while, I lean more towards hunting for good prices.

Some tips that definitely help -

1) Run the occasional "titles and descriptions" search.  Sometimes you'll find some rare stuff that way that isn't listed in the auction title.  (That's how I snagged my original, still-sealed WDADU longbox CD.  Some guy was selling a bunch of old longboxes and that one was thrown into the mix).

2) Make sure you search is set to include items from international sellers.

3) Run the occasional search for "Dream Theatre".  People mispell the name all the time, and sometime you can find stuff that way that most buyers miss by only searching "Dream Theater".

Offline Ħ

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:26 AM »
^ Thanks man!   :hefdaddy

Oh yeah one more question.  Do bootlegs count towards your collection?  I am really broke and would rather spend time stocking up with sites like trialoftears.net and nickeh.com, since all I have to pay for is blank CD's and a sharpie.