Author Topic: DT collection  (Read 89655 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: DT collection
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:45 AM »
I never really saw the point in getting the demos. I'm fine with the studio albums & some live stuff.
Different strokes for different folks, but I think you're missing out. At the very least, I'd recommend the FII demos since several of the songs are significantly different, there's 5 songs that didn't make the album (6 if you count the instrumental version of Metropolis part 2) and the sound quality is great for demos. But the other demo releases are also worth it, IMO just to hear the differences between them and the album versions.

I've met Zep.  Cool as shit.
So not very cool then, eh?   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2014, 03:22:25 AM »
Haha, you just reminded me, I was gonna respond to that demo comment aswell but forgot or couldn't be bothered or something.  :P

But just to echo Scotty's thoughts, the demos are totally worth it, all of them IMO and one would me missing out if they dismissed them as uninteresting.  :tup

*Takes deep breath, cracks fingers*
- Falling into Infinity demos would be the best example because they have significant differences to the final product but most of that has been discussed extensively.

- All the others have enough curiosities to interest most fans; the Images & Words demos are great because we have a younger James nailing all the vocals. I thought some of those Atco demos actually had stronger vocals than I&W sessions sometimes. And the vocalist audition demos on various songs are certainly an interesting curiosity. As is Erotomania being part of Pull me Under, very bizarre.

- Even the Train of Thought instrumental demos are quite interesting because although the arrangements are mostly the same, you'd be surprised how many more details you notice in the songs with the absence of vocals (anyone that's listened to the BL&SL/ADTOE instrumentals knows what I'm talking about). Not to mention, we have some different/alternate solos by John and Jordan sometimes which will surprise you if you're familiar with the regular Train of Thought.

- The Awake demos are probably the least interesting compared to the rest (imo) but mainly because they are relatively of worse quality to the others (save for some Majesty stuff) but not to undermine their relevance. Still got some amazing vocals from James, where again; some moments come across clearer (unless it's just me), I swear I can understand his annunciation better on a lot of the higher vocals (everyone that's digested Awake fully has to know what I mean by this  :lol). Not to mention we've got some slightly different keyboard patches and sounds from Keven that you won't find on the final version, and an interesting longer version of The Mirror with the 'Lie instrumental' still intact.

- When Dream and Day Unite demos can be interesting, but you probably have to already like that album a fair bit to bother with these because it's a LOT more WDADU than anyone is used to.  :xbones It's got instrumental versions of everything which is quite interesting to hear extra detail (too bad about the quality though) and all the pre-production and extra Charlie stuff.

- Then the Majesty demos, I think any dedicated DT fan has to at least check these out at some point, pure recorded history here but don't necessarily expect to find pure gold, there's certainly some gems here though. Start of a legacy.  :millahhhh

That's enough rambling from me, but hopefully I convinced someone to check out the demos.  ;D

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2014, 02:39:57 AM »
Since I never did post my collection in the earlier thread, I'll take this opportunity to post it here.  I think this represents all the stuff I have (minus the VIP tote bags, glassware, ticket stubs, Guitar Magazines, various t-shirts and Rock Discipline VHS tape).  Several of the CD's and programs are autographed inside the booklets.   My Majesty demo is signed by Derek.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:26:13 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
I'm trying to find a 2002 World Tourbulence Tour Program.

Yeah, I regret not buying this at the show.  Just didn't have the $10 cash in my pocket that night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

Yeah, I regret not buying this at the show.  Just didn't have the $10 cash in my pocket that night.
Probably cuz you blew it on all that other shit!

BTW, NICE collection!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »

I have the Six Degrees tourbook signed by the band at an Albuquerque show back in 2002 I think...

I also have a shitload of bootlegs (audio and VHS)...Not sure where they are right now.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »

I have the Six Degrees tourbook signed by the band at an Albuquerque show back in 2002 I think...

I also have a shitload of bootlegs (audio and VHS)...Not sure where they are right now.

Cool, what is your favorite bootleg (CD, DVD, or otherwise) in your collection?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:28:28 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2014, 08:16:28 PM »
I have a sweet spot for the Train Wreck bootleg from the Phoenix show in 2000 I think. The guys screwed up in Metropolis. 8-19-00 was the date for that show.

The Orlando at the HOB that streamed on the web is also very good. The Graspop Festival fanclub cd is also great. And the Unplugged show. I think those are my favorite boots

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
That's cool, I've never heard the Train Wreck bootleg.  I usually stay away from the Metropolis 2000 bootlegs as it was a static set and I'd seen it live a number of times.  I have the Orlando HOB, which I recorded from the live stream onto a cassette tape!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »

If that album and tour weren't a huge favorite of mine, I'd offer you my tour book.  At one point I tried to get all of tour books, but decided against it. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
RaiseTheKnife, you got a San Francisco bootleg right above Derek Sherinian. Could you tell me please which year is that from?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
March 11, 2006.   Includes Speak To Me, which was only played for a handful of shows during the Octovarium tour.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »
Ah, pity! I was hoping for 2004, but I already know that boot doesn't exsist, so it was just a silly hope.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
Since I never did post my collection in the earlier thread, I'll take this opportunity to post it here.  I think this represents all the stuff I have (minus the VIP tote bags, glassware, ticket stubs, Guitar Magazines, various t-shirts and Rock Discipline VHS tape).  Several of the CD's and programs are autographed inside the booklets.   My Majesty demo is signed by Derek.

These photos remind me that I need to pick up a few more recent Jordan releases.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
Wow, impressive collection!  What a beautiful sight.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
Ditto for the above.....some serious money would have been spent on that collection.  I would love to find that hourglass... :smiley:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
Ditto for the above.....some serious money would have been spent on that collection.  I would love to find that hourglass... :smiley:

the fii hourglass that i have?  ;D

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
Don't tease me!  :'(  Unless you are willing to part with it?!  :smiley:

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »
I recall that some of my VHS taped shows are relatively rare such as Toronto 1993 and Milan 1997.  Maybe they can be found on youtube by now, but for the longest time they were not highly circulated.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2014, 06:15:05 AM »
Ah, pity! I was hoping for 2004, but I already know that boot doesn't exsist, so it was just a silly hope.  :lol

Marco it did exist at one time. I taped it, but that show was part of the west coast swing that I did of I think 6 shows in a row for me. Somewhere along the line I misplaced the DAT's. I'm going to guess they got left in a hotel room in some city. At least Mother, Father did get released.

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »
About 45 or so CD's, 9 t-shirts, a bunch of DVD's.

Offline dtfanswang

• Every Cloud has a Silver Lining~
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
I'm a chinese DT die-hard, this is my collection photo abum:
https://photo.163.com/dreamtheater_wang

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2015, 03:41:15 AM »
Heh, my collection is ridiculous compared to what has been posted here, but well:

- Images and Words (1992)
- Live at the Marquee (1993)
- Awake (1994)
- A Change of Seasons (1995)
- Falling Into Infinity (1997)
- Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)
- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)
- Train of Thought (2003)
- Live at Budokan (2004 - CD)
- Octavarium (2005)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »
Just got the awake vinyl...
OMFG ASDFGHJKLWJQHBABAAAAAAAAA
It sounds AMAZING!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »
that's cool.  Was Awake initially released in vinyl in 94?  and if so, how does this new release compare?

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2015, 04:34:26 AM »
no, it was never released on vinyl (to my knowledge) so I picked up one of the new enjoy the ride/brookvale ones. In comparison to the CD version, however, it's bloody amazing!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2015, 04:39:37 AM »
Awake was released as a double LP in 1994: https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Awake/release/1962869 However, it wasn't until 2007 that another DT album came out on vinyl (SC).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
Awake WAS released on vinyl (the last album to be so at the time ) and only in Germany.  Tends to fetch between $200-$400 on Ebay.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2015, 05:17:19 AM »
Awake was released as a double LP in 1994: https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Awake/release/1962869 However, it wasn't until 2007 that another DT album came out on vinyl (SC).
huh, didn't know! thought it was on CD & Cassette only.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Awake WAS released on vinyl (the last album to be so at the time ) and only in Germany.  Tends to fetch between $200-$400 on Ebay.
That's the one I have.

Never bought the new one.

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
That's the one I have.

Do you want $200-400? Maybe you should sell it on, seeing as its going for that much!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
That's the one I have.

Do you want $200-400? Maybe you should sell it on, seeing as its going for that much!

If someone goes out of their way to offer me something in the mid to high end of that maybe I would.  But I think I'd rather keep it.

I would part with many of my Dream Theater items, but at the moment that Awake LP isn't one of them.

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
That's the one I have.

If someone goes out of their way to offer me something in the mid to high end of that maybe I would.  But I think I'd rather keep it.

I would part with many of my Dream Theater items, but at the moment that Awake LP isn't one of them.
fair enough

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:12 PM »

Offline Omadus

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
Someday I will lay everything out, Box Sets, all Fan Club CD's and DVD's, Sealed Scenes From New York Box with T-Shirt...etc., but these are my favorites....all 4 Vinyl Test Pressings of Awake, I&W, Falling Into Infinity, and SFAM. The first 3 had 24 made, SFAM had only 5...this is Number 1. The Images And Words is Number 2, The Awake and Falling Into Infinity are Number 8.