Author Topic: Steel Panther (Don't know SP? Watch the Trailer in reply #71, thank me later)  (Read 55714 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Steel Panther (Don't know SP? Watch the Trailer in reply #71, thank me later)
« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:16 AM »
Just announced that Steel Panther added a Hartford CT date for April 29  :metal

Sunday night show that starts at 9PM  :-\ Fuck, I sound like an old man. I'm probably going to take the Monday afterward off.

My friend just asked me to go to that.  Should I?  Meaning, does the joke work over an hour and a half setlist?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Steel Panther (Don't know SP? Watch the Trailer in reply #71, thank me later)
« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2018, 08:03:09 AM »

Sunday night show that starts at 9PM  :-\ Fuck, I sound like an old man. I'm probably going to take the Monday afterward off.

My friend just asked me to go to that.  Should I?  Meaning, does the joke work over an hour and a half setlist?

Yes. Definitely go. The shows are amazing. I've seen them 3 times now and can't recommend them enough.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »

The music is stellar.  You need to see them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #318 on: February 23, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »
Tickets go on sale in three minutes.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2018, 04:36:29 PM »
6/15 The Chance Theater in Poughkeepsie.

It looks like my husband's band is going to open. I'll know for sure Friday.

I don't think there are any formers in the area, but if anyone is looking for cheaper tickets, let me know! 

Either way, I'll be there!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
Lexxi Foxx has voluntarily checked himself in to an undisclosed "sex rehab." He will have to miss the current U.S. tour that recently kicked off in Chicago. The band's friend of over 30 years and backstage doorman Spyder will be filling in on bass for the upcoming tour dates.

"We love Lexxi Foxx… and his mother," explains drummer Stix Zadinia. "We support his decision to enter sex rehab. We can't wait for him to get back on the road with us after he learns how to have better sex."
So what's the real reason?  :rollin
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Anyone catching them on this tour?

I have tickets for their Hartford show this Friday  :metal 

New single: All I Wanna Do Is Fuck (Myself Tonight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpyVMzaBqzQ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
They are coming to Boston when I'm away with the wifey on our Anniversary.

Hey Baby, wanna see Steel Panther? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

My buddy asked me if I wanted to go to that show (I do!) but I have a 6:00 am flight the next day so I think I'm going to have to pass.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

My buddy asked me if I wanted to go to that show (I do!) but I have a 6:00 am flight the next day so I think I'm going to have to pass.

Stop talking like an old man. Don't skip. You'll have a great time and you can sleep on the plane. Have you seen them before?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Love Steel Panther... whats not to love
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Last night's concert was excellent. That was the fourth time I've seen those guys. However, this is the first time I didn't see a single titty.

Am disappointed.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Last night's concert was excellent. That was the fourth time I've seen those guys. However, this is the first time I didn't see a single titty.

Am disappointed.

Welcome to Hartford, CT.  ;)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Am disappointed.

Welcome to Hartford, CT.  ;)

I saw a number of pairs the last time they were in Hartford!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
New single out today. "You're Always Gonna Be a Ho". Obviously NSFW.

https://youtu.be/bkV0M1qbkcw

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yup.  I'll have to wait until I get home to watch this  lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
New single out today. "You're Always Gonna Be a Ho". Obviously NSFW.

https://youtu.be/bkV0M1qbkcw

Just came to post this. Excellent track and video!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
a little fun on this down day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvubIgC9zi0
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Just bought tickets to the show in Hartford on 9/18  :metal :metal 

I'm so freaking excited to see a show. Not counting operas and musicals, I'm pretty sure Steel Panther was the last concert I attended before Covid.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I saw that. I also didn't know whether or not to even take it seriously.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I guess they've already played with the new bassist live.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Who is he?

I love Steel Panther, and saw them in Toronto in 2019. My favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqeKdfjuV2w

Offline Lowdz

Who is he?

I love Steel Panther, and saw them in Toronto in 2019. My favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqeKdfjuV2w

That’s SP at their best. The gross out lyrics usually fall flat with me, but when the lyrics are a bit “cleverer”  (by SP standards of course) they are funnier.

• DTF.org Member
I still love their debut album alot it's just ridiculous, catchy and clever at the same time.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Have I already said that SP are basically a one joke band and should have made one album and that's it.

Not in a " they suck and should give up " kind of way. But how long can you stretch that one gag before it gets really boring ?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Have I already said that SP are basically a one joke band and should have made one album and that's it.

Not in a " they suck and should give up " kind of way. But how long can you stretch that one gag before it gets really boring ?

You're 100% right, but it still works, and people are willing to pay for it. I only discovered them when Heavy Metal Rules came out, and loved their show here in Toronto in 2019.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

How is it any different than Weird Al Yankovic?   I'm not the hugest "comedy in music" guy, but I find it amusing, and the playing is interesting enough that more power to them.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I think Weird Al is a bit of an anomaly because he's reinvented himself over the years and where you have other forms of comedy that get dated, he seems to go with the times and has managed to stay somewhat relevant even into modern times. I think also the fact he tends to disappear for a few years before popping up with a new thing kinda keeps it fresh in a way. Definitely have a lot of appreciation for him even if I'm not super familiar with his overall work.

Steel Panther may be a one and done joke but their music is silly and funny and I don't really see the harm in them putting out more albums. There's a lot of bands who are basically the same for decades but if it's what the fans want then whats the problem?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

You know, man. Maybe I'm being a dick here, but can you stop coming into threads for the sole purpose on shitting on whatever the topic is?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:54:11 PM by Chino »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't say they suck or their music is shit. It was simply wondering how long a band like them can keep going since once you've seen them and heard them - you've seen THE joke.

I also meant that perhaps they would have worked better as a one-off. Form a joke hair metal band - make one album and then be done with it.

Not " They suck i wish they would just split up ffs ".

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
If you wanna go down the road of "Wouldn't it have been better if they just put out that one album and left it on that high note?" logic you could easily dismiss the entire discographies of multiple bands. Whether it's Steel Panther, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters or whoever else doing their thing, making their music within their "sound" for years, you could always argue that they could or should have stopped but many of the fans would disagree. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Steel Panther or anything - they're a fun guilty pleasure kind of band but IMO their funniest songs aren't on the debut.

Offline Lowdz

Steel Panther works because the songs and musicianship stands up, lyrics aside. Transport them back to the 80s, tone down the lyrics and they would have been up there with the likes of Poison, Winger etc.

In the UK there was a parody band back in the 80s called Bad News where a bunch of comedians put a band together and filmed a couple of episodes taking the piss out of metal. They made a couple of albums with some songs and sketches thrown in. It was funny, but they didn’t have the songs or chops to carry it off, though they did play at the Donington monsters Of Rock festival. They did do a pretty awesome version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

https://youtu.be/DRsymeCntOc

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
That's the main takeaway with Steel Panther I think is that they're a lot better musically than they have any right to be with the juvenile lyrics that might have been written by a 10 year old.   :biggrin: A song like "Gloryhole" is a lot catchier and better musically than a lot of the bands they are 'making fun of' imo.

• DTF.org Member
That"s definitely something that makes me appreciate them. They're really solid musicians that has alot of milage under their belts which makes the band more belivable. Without that I highly doubt my interest in them would've lasted very long.