Author Topic: Everything Punk  (Read 25071 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Everything Punk
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2023, 11:40:24 AM »
So there's a new NOFX/Fishbone single released today...
 https://open.spotify.com/track/0ntWDwPFaWKHmbjtIjjBQI?si=ds7T6swJSRm2GlpGd13ttw

On a somewhat related note, this year is shaping up to be such a good year for punk releases. These are my favourites so far, ranked in order...

Faintest Idea - The Road to Sedition
The Bar Stool Preachers - Above the Static
The Bouncing Souls - Ten Stories High
Anti-Flag - Lies They Tell Our Children
Drain - Living Proof
Zebrahead - II (EP)
The Meffs - Broken Britain Pt.2
Codefendants - This is Crime Wave
Frenzal Rhomb - The Cup of Pestilence
Bottle Music for Broken People (compilation on Fat Mike's new record label)

Plus there are these albums coming out in the coming weeks...

Rancid - Tomorrow Never Comes
Random Hand - TBA
The Dirty Nil - Free Rein to Passions

I'm sure there are other new punk releases coming out I've forgotten to list. What have I missed guys? Any other note worthy punk albums this year?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2023, 06:28:57 AM »
I'm crushed about Anti-flag news yesterday.  TW SA

Big blow to the punk world to hear Justin Sane is likely the rapist described in a pod cast.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2023, 06:43:48 AM »

Big blow to the punk world to hear Justin Sane is likely the rapist described in a pod cast.

Care to share a link or synopsis?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2023, 07:37:53 AM »
Yea I saw that this morning. The fact they’ve completely shut down all social media and their website etc doesn’t look good.

If this is all true then it’s somehow even worse because it goes against everything the band have spent their career speaking out against.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2023, 08:10:56 AM »

Care to share a link or synopsis?

Yeah, please care to elaborate....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2023, 08:21:58 AM »
https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture/what-justin-sane-do-allegations-explored-anti-flag-breakup-leaves-fans-distraught

oof, yeah, he's cancelled and rightfully so.  The band shutting down basically admits to it.  What a terrible look for a band that preached quite a bit.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »
https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture/what-justin-sane-do-allegations-explored-anti-flag-breakup-leaves-fans-distraught

oof, yeah, he's cancelled and rightfully so.  The band shutting down basically admits to it.  What a terrible look for a band that preached quite a bit.

Sidebar, you have to spell "sexual assault" with an asterisk now?  "s*xual assault"?

Sad story, as laid out.

It's so hard to comment on these, since it's all sort of speculative (these are stories put on a podcast, not testimony in a court room). First, I believe her - though the band's actions don't confirm guilt - and I hope that she gets whatever justice she's due.   But beyond the facts I hope that we can move to a point where - and this is consistent with conversations we've had before about "celebrity" - I hope we can impress on our young women that when you bring someone to a party and he's kissing someone else right out the gate, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STAY.  I don't mean this about blaming the victim, or even about sexual assault generally, but about presence and self-worth.  I don't know if she had other concerns - an interview or something (but if she was drinking that doesn't seem likely) - but I'd sort of - again INDEPENDENT OF SEXUAL ASSAULT OR RAPE, WHICH IS NEVER EXCUSABLE - hope my kids will raise the bar and not just draw the line at "assault", but rather at "douchebaggery".   

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2023, 12:34:08 PM »
Or how about men just stop raping women?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2023, 02:00:11 PM »
Or how about men just stop raping women?

Of course; that wasn't the point. I think I was pretty clear that I was separating issues.  There was a whole thread - or at least a long discussion in a thread - about the various ways that pressure is exerted on women - independent of "sexual assault" - and I was commenting more on that.   I know too many women that put up with shitty partners - for whatever reason - and they shouldn't. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2023, 06:44:36 AM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2023, 09:28:45 AM »
Got a ticket to see NOFX in Brooklyn next year, night 3 of their 3 night stand.  That night they are playing White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean, So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes, and The Decline in full.  VERY excited for that as those are three of my favorite releases from them. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2023, 12:38:48 PM »
Got a ticket to see NOFX in Brooklyn next year, night 3 of their 3 night stand.  That night they are playing White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean, So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes, and The Decline in full.  VERY excited for that as those are three of my favorite releases from them.

Damn, I got those two albums at the show in Hatfield back in May, but no Decline 😭

Have fun dude! Still my #1 punk band.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »
Sublime isn't exactly punk, but they do enough punk music and are part of the scene to share this here I'd think....

Rome is leaving Sublime with Rome.  Sublime recently did a show as "Sublime" with Bradley's son on guitar and vocals. I guess we will see that as the band going forward after 2024 (Rome says he's committed to their show commitments through 2024).

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2024, 04:08:28 PM »
On a bit of an Alkaline Trio kick this week. I watched this interview with Matt Skiba the other day and it got me pumped for the new album (out in three weeks)...

https://youtu.be/aOnkyGQropI?feature=shared

Alkaline Trio have always been one of my absolute favourite punk bands, and I am optimistic about their new album, based on the singles they've released so far. The title track Blood, Hair, and Eyeballs is my fave (here's the video)...

https://youtu.be/CprfYX6hij4?feature=shared

Damn, how has Dan Adriano got even more attractive with age. Anyway, this new album kinda crept up on me and I forgot how soon it was due to be released, so let's hope it's an early album of the year contender.

The merch designs are also really nice, and I had to snag myself this shirt.

All I'm hoping for now is an announcement of UK tour dates.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2024, 06:39:27 PM »
I went down a bit of a rabbit hole the other day on youtube for old warped tour videos.  Specifically Asbury Park 1999, my first warped tour.

Blink 182's set, and the side barrier is breaking down! I remember this being crazy packed and uncomfortable, but I didn't see that happening. I still have my ticket stub

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2024, 07:55:08 PM »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2024, 08:20:54 PM »
Rome is leaving Sublime with Rome.  Sublime recently did a show as "Sublime" with Bradley's son on guitar and vocals.

I saw this on instagram and the comments (I know, surprise) were rude as hell about his son's vocals. I thought it was really cool.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2024, 06:39:56 AM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2024, 08:13:25 AM »
This was my first Warped
https://warped-tour.fandom.com/wiki/Warped_Tour_2000

I also went to the 2000 warped tour, saw Green Day which I remember well (they did an operation ivy cover).  I even have a few pictures from that one, also my ticket stub as well.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2024, 08:39:28 AM »
Green Day was my first favorite band when Dookie came out, so it's only fitting they're my first Warped lol I should go through and count how many of the bands I'm seeing again at WWWY in October.

edit - dunno if its been mentioned here but new Green Day album out on 1/19 and I'm seeing them on tour later this year!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2024, 06:28:04 PM »
Just posted about the new Sum 41 in the Albums thread, but wanted to say that we really have been spoilt over the last 6 months, by some classic bands...

They may not be the best albums of the bands careers, but for me these are albums are all better than I'd ever hoped they'd be. One More Time and Blood, Hair, and Eyeballs are particularly awesome.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2024, 03:20:18 PM »
Ill have to check out that sum 41 album since their local "final" show is a little over a month away

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2024, 01:02:06 PM »
Happy birthday to D Boon of Minutemen. Gonna spin Double Nickels later today. Can only dream about what kind of music we might have gotten if he were still around.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2024, 09:03:06 AM »
Happy birthday to D Boon of Minutemen. Gonna spin Double Nickels later today. Can only dream about what kind of music we might have gotten if he were still around.

So similar to Cliff Burton in that he touched the lives of so many prominent musicians during an incredibly brief window of time.