Author Topic: Something that bothers me about Petrucci's integrity...  (Read 11902 times)

Offline Ħ

Something that bothers me about Petrucci's integrity...
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
So, I've been thinking about this since SC was released in 2007.  We all know how Petrucci basically ripped all his lyrics from other sources.  You can read about the origins of ItPoE, Forsaken, and TDEN here: https://faq.dtnorway.com/category/12#1099

When I got around to watching the SC documentary that came with the bonus edition, I was slightly unnerved that Petrucci made absolutely no reference to these sources at all.  In fact, he even CLAIMED that he came up with this stuff, and took the credit for it.  Even when MP complimented him on writing "bad-ass" lyrics for ItPoE, Petrucci just sort of shrugged it off...

It wasn't until several months later that Petrucci confirmed that he based ItPoE off a manga, but still made no reference to the influences for Forsaken and TDEN...which leads me to believe that JP wanted to cover up for his "plagarism" that fans began to take notice of...

I've been sort of shaken since.  He is definitely a hero, and this (if true) has the power to devastate me and my respect for him as a creative artist...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Something that bothers me about Petrucci's integrity...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »
I actually have no problem with those lyrics, since that's a pretty common practice for metal bands. BUT it's not like he did anything like that on BC&SL (except maybe quoted Wiki word for word on AROP) so who cares?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »
yea not a big deal. its not like the song won an award for 'best lyrics' and he accepted it without saying he ripped it off

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »
I don't think TDEN was really ripped off from that Lovecraft story, save the "choking room and greenish moon" bit.  Forsaken is a possibility, but around the time SC was written, pop culture had slowly begun to fester into a vampire love-fest, so it could be like jumping on a bandwagon with a fairly common story (or at least it seems common enough).  ITPOE he has admitted and there's pretty much no denying it, though the straight lifting of lines bothers me.  Thankfully he seems to have moved away from that and maybe he'll write about either more personal stuff (except hopefully not boring like ANTR or TCOT) or something cool like Voices or Lines in the Sand, something a wee bit more complex.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
Surely most lyrics from any song are inspired from one thing or another, besides how many guitarists both professional or otherwise rip JP licks and riffs with no reference to the great man. Shite loads!
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Not a big deal.  John Myung lifted the lyrics to Learning To Live from Ayn Rand.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
Not a big deal.  John Myung lifted the lyrics to Learning To Live from Ayn Rand.
The 'No time for pain/No energy for anger' part? That's the Rand reference right?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »
^ That's quite different since it's only two lines.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:41:42 PM »
It's still no big deal.  Like others have said, this is a staple in metal music, and no one took those lyrics seriously anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
This is true.  Iron Maiden wrote a song about Dune, admitted it, didn't get sued or anything, just weren't allowed to call the song "Dune."  Still not something I'm a huge fan of.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm more worried about Petrucci just not caring about what he writes about instead of blatantly lifting stuff.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
This is true.  Iron Maiden wrote a song about Dune, admitted it, didn't get sued or anything, just weren't allowed to call the song "Dune."  Still not something I'm a huge fan of.

Iron Maiden wrote plenty of songs that are completely based on other things without given them any credit. Most notably, like half of their songs.

Offline TL

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »
I really don't see what the big deal is about not crediting something you based lyrics on. He didn't plagiarize anything, he just wrote about something.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
I know that PC, I'm a Maiden fan.  That was just one example.  And its not like they really NEEDED to explicitly give credit, its kind of obvious what Steve was reading when he wrote "Rime," "Brave New World," "Murders in the Rue Morgue...

@TL: I would normally agree, but in the case of ITPOE, there are lines lifted straight from the comic, or very, very close.  Again, I'm more bothered by the quality of the lyrics than the inspiration for them, but that actually is plagiarism. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 08:57:22 PM »
If James LaBrie can write about Dexter.....

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:18 PM »
I just read this as "Something that bothers me about Portrucci's integrity..."  :lol

carry on
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Hey Portucci, work on your integrity man!  That second line of your post is lifted straight from Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son!"  Jesus, where has the originality gone in your posts? :neverusethis:

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »
Who cares if he lifted lines directly from Priest? I think it's cool that he was able to tell the story from the manga with musical accompaniment. That's how I see it. No big deal.

Offline j

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »
Hey Portucci, work on your integrity man!  That second line of your post is lifted straight from Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son!"  Jesus, where has the originality gone in your posts? :neverusethis:

:lol

I see where the OP is coming from.  I don't think it's a big deal, but if I for whatever reason held Petrucci to be some kind of role model for integrity, it would definitely bother me.

Those saying that "metal bands do it all the time" and "people rip off Petrucci's music" must not be familiar with the concept of integrity. :lol

-J

Offline Ħ

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
If James LaBrie can write about Dexter.....

I don't really care about that, since 1) it was a borrowed concept, and 2) JLB acknowledged it.  Petrucci, on the other hand, took the direct words, and FAILED to acknowledge 2/3 of the songs.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
Who cares if he lifted lines directly from Priest? I think it's cool that he was able to tell the story from the manga with musical accompaniment. That's how I see it. No big deal.

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Iron maiden also based "seventh son of a seventh son" off of an Orson Scott card book.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »
If he were plagiarizing guitar riffs then I'd see your point. In this case, I couldn't care less how his lyrics came about; they suck lately anyway.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
Iron maiden also based "seventh son of a seventh son" off of an Orson Scott card book.

um also....Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner is basically the poem put to music.
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:49 PM »
I really hate how they ripped off the process of turning lights on and off in Surrounded.

The electrical union is gonna own their asses.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 12:57:58 AM »
I don't really care about that, since 1) it was a borrowed concept, and 2) JLB acknowledged it.  Petrucci, on the other hand, took the direct words, and FAILED to acknowledge 2/3 of the songs.

And just saying "it's based on a Manga" isn't exactly crediting the source, either.
I don't think I've ever heard/seen the name of the original author mentioned.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
It's still no big deal.  Like others have said, this is a staple in metal music, and no one took those lyrics seriously anyway.

That's not true!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 02:11:28 AM »

That's not true!
OK, no one except ReaPsTA took those lyrics seriously anyway.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 05:39:43 AM »

Iron Maiden wrote plenty of songs that are completely based on other things without given them any credit. Most notably, like half of their songs.
What?? Iron Maiden has always acknowledged their influences. That is one of the things that does give them integrity. Maybe not citing them on the CD sleeve, but Steve Harris has always been frank about where he gets his ideas from.

The electrical union is gonna own their asses.

I'm surprised they haven't tried!

I'm more worried about Petrucci just not caring about what he writes about instead of blatantly lifting stuff.
I agree. I cut them some slack on SC. It was a "fun" album to be sure. Not a lot of seriousness. But when the man writes things like Scarred and Lines In The Sand, the bar has been set pretty high.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »
So.  Fucking.  What.  :P
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:50 AM »
^This.  I don't really see how this is an integrity issue at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
We're in the, 'waiting to find who the drummer is and when the next CD comes out" phase so it's Opera and Dr. Phil psychobabble.  The buzz word is integrity.  Way, way off OP.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 08:26:55 AM »
Symphony X totally ripped off Homer.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 08:42:02 AM »
We need to be worried about the creativity of Petrucci's lyrics. Not where he gets them from.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »

What?? Iron Maiden has always acknowledged their influences. That is one of the things that does give them integrity. Maybe not citing them on the CD sleeve, but Steve Harris has always been frank about where he gets his ideas from.

What? Most of those songs aren't credited in the album. But, regardless, my point isn't to diss Maiden. Just to show that it's standard practice to write based on movies, books, and other media. And I've never really seen an instance of John covering anything up. He always bases his lyrics on books or things he's read. That's how its been with Voices, Six Degrees, and so on. He never comes out and makes a big deal about it, but when asked directly, he responds directly. Don't see what the big deal is.