Author Topic: B-Sides Appreciation Thread  (Read 16529 times)

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
Re: B-Sides Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2015, 04:34:48 AM »
Eve is on the Silent Man Single, The Way It Used To Be is on the Hollow Years single, Speak To Me is on the Japanese version of Falling Into Infinity and a live version of Cover My Eyes is on the 5 Years In A LIVEtime DVD.
Don't Look Past Me is on the Images And Words Demos(Out of stock) with John Hendricks on vocals.
The Way It Used To Be, Where Are You Now, Speak To Me, Cover My Eyes, and the demo version of Raise The Knife are all on the Falling Into Infinity Demos(Out of stock), although in undesirable quality.

Cleaning Out The Closet has studio-quality demos of all these songs(With James's voice on Don't Look Past Me), along with both versions of To Live Forever. Unfortunately, it's a collector's item at this point, so it's not even worth looking for it these days unless you're a serious collector.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 07:43:24 AM »
The Way It Used To Be, Where Are You Now, Speak To Me, Cover My Eyes, and the demo version of Raise The Knife are all on the Falling Into Infinity Demos(Out of stock), although in undesirable quality.

Cleaning Out The Closet has studio-quality demos of all these songs(With James's voice on Don't Look Past Me), along with both versions of To Live Forever. Unfortunately, it's a collector's item at this point, so it's not even worth looking for it these days unless you're a serious collector.

Couple things I believe are incorrect here; one, the versions on the FII Demos are the same as on the Cleaning Out the Closet disk, so not quite sure how one is "undesirable quality" and the other is "studio quality".  I have both, and while the mastering is slightly different, I don't think this is at all a case of "go without" because the sound is so bad (a subjective thing, anyway).

Second, COTC can be (and often is) found on eBay.  While mint condition is probably a "collector's item", I have bought three over the past year or so, two separate, one as part of a "lot", and in fact just sold one for a reasonable price (it will be shipped today, by coincidence).  It, of course, depends on what you are willing to pay, but I wouldn't at all say "not even worth looking for".

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
Couple things I believe are incorrect here; one, the versions on the FII Demos are the same as on the Cleaning Out the Closet disk, so not quite sure how one is "undesirable quality" and the other is "studio quality".  I have both, and while the mastering is slightly different, I don't think this is at all a case of "go without" because the sound is so bad (a subjective thing, anyway).
I've heard some stuff from both, and to my ears, the FII demos are pretty badly mastered, most notably resulting in the bass frequencies being WAY too loud. Meanwhile, COTC sounds pretty nice. I think it's entirely a matter of opinion, but I find the FII demos to be near-unlistenable without some EQing.
Second, COTC can be (and often is) found on eBay.  While mint condition is probably a "collector's item", I have bought three over the past year or so, two separate, one as part of a "lot", and in fact just sold one for a reasonable price (it will be shipped today, by coincidence).  It, of course, depends on what you are willing to pay, but I wouldn't at all say "not even worth looking for".
Huh. Must be a lot rarer here in Europe, then.
Anyway, for reference, the most I'd be willing to pay is ~£20. The lowest I've seen it up for is £50(Plus ~£10 shipping from Germany, and import duty).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:49:32 PM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
I've heard some stuff from both, and to my ears, the FII demos are pretty badly mastered, most notably resulting in the bass frequencies being WAY too loud. Meanwhile, COTC sounds pretty nice. I think it's entirely a matter of opinion, but I find the FII demos to be near-unlistenable without some EQing.

Well, to each their own; there is a slight difference, but to call it "un-listenable", well, that's an opinion I not only do not share, but find a little extreme.

Huh. Must be a lot rarer here in Europe, then.
Anyway, for reference, the most I'd be willing to pay is ~£20. The lowest I've seen it up for is £50(Plus ~£10 shipping from Germany, and import duty).

Perhaps that's the difference, then, geography.  One just sold about two days ago for about $35USD; that is, what, 17 pounds plus or minus?   It takes some diligence, (there is a "Following" setting on eBay so it will tell you when there is a new listing of whatever it is you are following). 

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
Well, to each their own; there is a slight difference, but to call it "un-listenable", well, that's an opinion I not only do not share, but find a little extreme.
Well, the main problem for me is the ridiculous bass frequencies on the FII demo version.
Pretty sure it's entirely a matter of taste at this point, though...
Perhaps that's the difference, then, geography.  One just sold about two days ago for about $35USD; that is, what, 17 pounds plus or minus?   It takes some diligence, (there is a "Following" setting on eBay so it will tell you when there is a new listing of whatever it is you are following).
Weird, 9/10 times I check, there isn't even a listing for it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »
Well, the main problem for me is the ridiculous bass frequencies on the FII demo version.
Pretty sure it's entirely a matter of taste at this point, though...

No doubt, and please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to tell you what to like, just that I don't hear it.  To each their own!

Weird, 9/10 times I check, there isn't even a listing for it.

Where are you (country-wise)?   COuld that have anything to do with it?  It's not as if there are a 1,000 on there at any one time, but I do a "Saved Search" (I think they call it "Following" now) and whenever a new one is listed, I get a text/email notice.  Pretty cool if there is something you're looking for.

And, just to show I'm not busting your stones for sport, if you want to talk about an item that is never listed and if so "not worth pursuing" because it's so expensive, Marillion's "Curtain Call".   There's one listed now for $260 USD and the auction has ended about five times and he keeps relisting it at $260.  NFW.  $175, tops, bro.   Start it low, and if it is worth $260, it'll get there!  Haha.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2015, 04:57:11 AM »
No doubt, and please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to tell you what to like, just that I don't hear it.  To each their own!
Yeah, I understand. :)

Where are you (country-wise)?   COuld that have anything to do with it?  It's not as if there are a 1,000 on there at any one time, but I do a "Saved Search" (I think they call it "Following" now) and whenever a new one is listed, I get a text/email notice.  Pretty cool if there is something you're looking for.
Ah, interesting; I'll have to keep an eye out, then. Also, I'm in the UK.

And, just to show I'm not busting your stones for sport, if you want to talk about an item that is never listed and if so "not worth pursuing" because it's so expensive, Marillion's "Curtain Call".   There's one listed now for $260 USD and the auction has ended about five times and he keeps relisting it at $260.  NFW.  $175, tops, bro.   Start it low, and if it is worth $260, it'll get there!  Haha.
Wow. :lol

(Also, if you want to continue this discussion, maybe we should use PMs)