Author Topic: B-Sides Appreciation Thread  (Read 16526 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
B-Sides Appreciation Thread
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:38:37 AM »
Here's a thread for all the fans of the B-side songs DT has created so far. And there are a lot of gems to be found: To Live Forever, Eve, Don't Look Past Me, The Way It Used To Be, Speak To Me etc.

To Live Forever is my favourite among those songs. Short and sweet, and some glorious guitar playing by JP.

Have at it. :)

(Also: OMG2112threads)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: B-Sides Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:40 AM »
To Live Forever and Speak To Me are my favourites. Eve is great too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:53:19 AM »
TLF

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
To Live Forever is definitely their best B-side. Eve and Don't Look Past Me are great too.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:16:30 AM »
Eve, Speak to Me, To Live Forever, and Raise the Knife are my favorite B-sides/rareities.  I also always forget about The Way It Used to Be until I listen to it again.  Thats a great one too.  Kinda wish we got more of these cuts that didn't make the album, as opposed to the recent "We write just enough songs to fill in 80 minutes and thats it."  Of course, they don't have so many years to write stuff like they did between WDADU and Images or Awake and FII, which is probably the biggest factor.  In fact, forget I said "recent" earlier.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »
I absolutely love Raise The Knife, To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me, The Way It Used To Be, and Where Are You Now. There rest are solid too but I'm fairly indifferent about Speak to Me and Eve. I listen on occasion but I find myself listening to the above more than a fair share of their album songs.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »
"Don't Look Past Me" will always be my favorite b-side of theirs, though "Speak to Me" is high in my graces too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »
They are all great in their own way.  Except You Or Me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
They are all great in their own way.  Except You Or Me.
Basically that.  Don't Look Past Me has been one of my favorite DT songs for years.  I really like The Way it Used to Be a lot too.  I'd love to hear what the songs sound like live.  I think it'd be a great surprise if they ever did any of those fan club shows or something and played all of them. 

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
Eve is a personal favorite of mine. Kev's synthwork is beautiful in this song.
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
Eve definitely wins for me.
Speak to Me is a close second, with Cover My Eyes trailing closely.
However, I listened to Metropolis Pt. II earlier today, and that song is such a fun trip. Like tri.ad said, there's a lot of gems.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
Eve.  So beautiful.  So, so beautiful.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
The only 2 B-sides I'm not super thrilled with are Where Are You Now and Cover My Eyes. The rest are as good as a chunk of DT's "regular" songs!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
In my top 50, I would put

Don't Look Past Me
Eve
Raise the Knife
Speak to Me
To Live Forever

Honestly, FII could easily have been a top 5 album if they swapped some of the songs.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »

Don't Look Past Me
Eve
Raise the Knife
Speak to Me
To Live Forever

Honestly, FII could easily have been a top 5 album if they swapped some of the songs.

This. I still love the album, but it could have been so much more.
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline PetFish

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
If they pulled out Don't Look Past Me live I would crap my pants.  Totally awesome b-side that must see the live stage before it's all over.  Great lyrics, awesome guitar work, and it's a major-key song.  So great.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
If they pulled out Don't Look Past Me live I would crap my pants.  Totally awesome b-side that must see the live stage before it's all over.  Great lyrics, awesome guitar work, and it's a major-key song.  So great.

just realized i have never heard this song till now. when was it written/recorded???? I must know. Its not FII era, is it?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »

just realized i have never heard this song till now. when was it written/recorded???? I must know. Its not FII era, is it?

It was one of the pre-Images songs.  It was one of the songs used to audition singers.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
This has to be one of the greatest songs ever written. any idea when the it was recorded? the back of the cleaning out the closet cover says like 7/90 - 10/99.

i must learn more
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
I don't really see DT as a B-Side band like I do PT, to be honest.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
I wish we'd get some b-sides again. The total lack of lesser-known new material is one of the reasons why I feel DT's setlists have been getting less interesting in recent years.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
The only 2 B-sides I'm not super thrilled with are Where Are You Now and Cover My Eyes. The rest are as good as a chunk of DT's "regular" songs!

I agree, except that I absolutely love the acoustic version of Cover My Eyes.

I think the "Cleaning out the Closet" disc is actually better than a couple of their most recent albums.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
This has to be one of the greatest songs ever written. any idea when the it was recorded? the back of the cleaning out the closet cover says like 7/90 - 10/99.

i must learn more

Music recorded in 1990; Vocals recorded in 1999.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »

Don't Look Past me was written before Images and Words, but it was recorded with vocals in 1999 I believe.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »
I wish we'd get some b-sides again. The total lack of lesser-known new material is one of the reasons why I feel DT's setlists have been getting less interesting in recent years.

Seriously. All the B-sides people love are, at their newest, just over a decade old, some even stretching into the 20 year range. It's pretty clear DT only writes enough material to fit onto a new CD and that's it. I can't for the life of me figure out why such high class musicians wouldn't delight in just getting together and jam out some random stuff, even if they don't plan on forming anything serious with it.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
Damn, I keep forgetting Raise The Knife. Such a great song, and the Score version is the definite one imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 06:58:17 AM »
The Way It Used To Be is a favorite. I hate that the only version I have is low quality. Don't Look Past me is a fun one as well.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »

Don't Look Past Me
Eve
Raise the Knife
Speak to Me
To Live Forever

Even as the way it is, FII is my #3 DT album. Take out You Not Me, Burning My Soul, and Just Let Me Breathe and replace them with Eve, Raise the Knife, To Live Forever and FII just might strangle Awake's #2 position away from it.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »
Where are you now hhad potential to be an amazing song. I love that synth melody and jp reprising it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »
I love To Live Forever and Speak To Me, and Cover My eyes, Eve and Raise The Knife are awesome too.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »

Don't Look Past me was written before Images and Words, but it was recorded with vocals in 1999 I believe.

Not sure about that. James' voice definately sounds "pre-injury".

Offline Ħ

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »

Not sure about that. James' voice definately sounds "pre-injury".

I disagree...the vocals sound very close to ToT.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »
Yup that's correct on my lifting shadows cd it says vocals recorded 1999
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online faizoff

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »
I don't think I dislike any of the DT B sides. My fav though is Speak To Me.

Also the jam after To Live Forever on the Tokyo DVD is the most amazing jam ever.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
To Live Forever is a great song but I don't listen to it a lot. I have to be in the right mood.