Author Topic: This part of the forum is quite "hostile"  (Read 8435 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: This part of the forum is quite "hostile"
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
I like this side of the site ... its interesting and for the most part people are quite civil..and I love a great debate and current events and the real issues we all face as part of the planet earth..

Its good to have a thick skin and open ones mind to others views and after mulling them respond to them.

Yup, the subject matter does lend itself to things getting a little heated sometimes, it would seem.  Part of the problem can often be that the written word doesn't contain the same levels of nuance and inflection that the spoken word does, and we often lose something along the way and a post may come across a lot more cumbersome and direct than it might have during a spoken debate.  Sometimes it easy easy to read too much into what someone has said and project a 'voice' or 'mood' onto it that you may think the poster is using.  It is good to try and judge the content rather than the apparent delivery, difficult though it can be.  I guess it's up to the poster to both try and put him/herself in the reader's shoes when writing a reply, and also for the reader to try and put himself in the mind of the poster when reading.  I regularly fuck up on both counts.....  :-[
Thank You and WELCOME!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »
It also helps if you understand the style of the people here.  Some of us tend to put quite a bit of personality into our posts.  Everybody has their own writing style, and if you're not familiar with them it can certainly seem like the place is full of assholes and lunatics. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »
I have noticed too that sometimes people who grew up and live in completely religious circles are shocked (and insulted) when they get exposed to people criticizing their beliefs. Up to that point their faith had been "untouchable".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »
It also helps if you understand the style of the people here.  Some of us tend to put quite a bit of personality into our posts.  Everybody has their own writing style, and if you're not familiar with them it can certainly seem like the place is full of assholes and lunatics.  

This and then this again.

I can understand how you took me saying
They would make stuff up like the bible only applies to Earth, or God has a different plan for every one of his worlds. We are to only find out about the others through our own discovering, and that will be the new master plan... or some bullshit like that.
as hostility. In all reality, that is exactly how it would have come out of my mouth if I said it to you in person. I feel everyone should be themselves online and not create alternate egos.

Now in all respect, there is nothing wrong with the post I made. Let's break it down.

Not just Christians, but religions world wide would have to make stuff up. There is no way around that. If life was discovered, and they gave an explanation for it, it would have to be made up. No where in religion does it discuss life elsewhere in the cosmos, therefore their statements regarding the matter would be nothing more than their best guesses. If that were to be the case, it would be bullshit. Something basically pulled randomly out of a hat and be expected to be believed by hundreds of thousands of people world wide. How am I in the wrong here?

I have noticed too that sometimes people who grew up and live in completely religious circles are shocked (and insulted) when they get exposed to people criticizing their beliefs. Up to that point their faith had been "untouchable".

rumborak

... and thats how I got my family got excommunicated from the church.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
:lol

Chino my hero.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »

rumborak

Good effort, sir!   :metal

Offline Vivace

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
Again, this has nothing to do with people personally attacking me as that has never happened. This has nothing to do with me crying like a little bitch because someone disagreed with me. This has nothing to do with me being some sheltered little baby who jumps at the slightest hint of the word "no" this is simply about the nature of the debate that happens in thiis forum. Okay... sure, people have different ways of debating and that might be an issue in understanding who and what that nature is based on the person. There are some people who debate like they had an education at Harvard or Oxford and there are people who debate as if they are one short of a sixpack or their favorite football team just lost and now some loser on the internet is going to pay for it. I can understand all that and I can accept the shock of discovering it and overreacting to that shock. It happens and it can happen to the best people on this forum.

What REALLY gets me though is those people who do not feel like contributing to a debate, they only want to shake the hornet's nest, step back and see what happens. They do this by either making snide statements that really do nothing to further a debate and only serve to intimidate. They put words into your mouth to which others will latch onto as if saying, "I know you said this, but in reality this is what you really said" when in reality that's nothing even remotely close to what I said nor can any logical conclusion be made in order for that person to have even made that assumption. Again, it's just one person who might be presenting a counter argument but instead wants to jab you with that counter-argument by either calling you out, or just jabbing you in general to see what you would do. Again, I could be overreacting to what I see. Anything is possible. So now here's the kicker.

If I am overreacting then one would think that this thread should be the prime example. That is, I would think most of the responses would be, "It's not that bad. You're just too senstive. Turn it down a bit." But no, instead people start making negative assumptions about my personality and overall have a very negative attitude about this. Well, shoot... maybe it's because I started it out negative first. Well, that's my fault. Can't escape fault there. But if you are trying to prove this place isn't hostile then why are directing negative comments about my reasons or assumptions on my personality? Sure my personality might have a lot to do with how I take in this place, but tell me please how does a negative reaction in any way suddenly convince me that this place isn't somewhat "hostile"? Now I know you asked for examples and can't remember them all but I will name one I remember off the top of my head: So I answered an opinion of what I felt of homosexuality. the OP asked the question, it was an open discussion, it was a friendly discussion and I felt comfortable in at least giving what I felt was going to be a controversial answer. I knew people were going to disagree but the point of the thread was a discussion and I did my best at keeping to a logical discourse and tried to be as neutral as possibile. Instead, and again, this is from me, what I got was a lot of narcissism and even people placing me into a category I felt was not deserved. For some strange and bizarre reason a belief that homosexuality is unnatural automatically places you as some religious fanatic that should be oppressed. No. That doesn't even come close to what I presented as an argument. If we were to categorize it it would come out like this (homosexuality is unnatural. Only Religious people think homosexuality is unnatural. Therefore, this statement is religious). Wow! This is definitely a logical discourse, can't argue that, but I think many people might point to the legiitmacy of the points.

Now a few people actually bothered to counter with their arguments while others decided to just categorize me just because I said something they vehemently disagreed with. You want to label me sheltered or a pussy? Ah no, that's not me. Actually I'm going to flip that label and state there are some people here who honestly cannot fathom someone who has a diametrically opposed view with them especially when that view has something remotely to do with religion or in the very least they think it has something to do with religion. Who cares if that's the case or not. I could honestly state I believe in polygamy and someone here will go apeshit because they see a religious context in that. And no a belief in polygamy can have nothing to do with religion. You can follow a logical discourse from polygamy to religion but I could follow a logical discourse from polygamy to dogs as well. Some people are choosing a specific path so that they CAN lash out. I don't know why. But that doesn't matter because I'm just a pussy and can't take the heat. So narcissism and someone who basically doesn't like it equates with being a pussy. Interesting... lot's of pussies on this planet then.  ;)

So for those who are calling me out I would like to pose this question, "Is it possible for a person who hates religion to have an unbiased, unemotional debate about religion?" I'm not talking about someone who doesn't trust religion. Those are completely different people to those who openly hate and are prejudiced against religious. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone with this question, it's just a question. I ask that question because I have to wonder this whenever I read things here and from certain people there is a vibe where once you are discovered a religious person, there are those who feel it necessary to throw you under the bus whenever they have a chance to do so. And the minute I throw up my hands and call a foul, is the moment I need to be called out some more.

"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
The replies to the homo thread were perfectly valid.  The crux of your position was that homoerotic behavior is unnatural because it doesn't lead to reproduction.  If you're going to throw that out there, you can expect that people will question you about it.  And if your problem is people throwing the religion thing into it, you're the one who made a point of stating that it wasn't a consideration.  Had you not made that claim, I wouldn't have pointed out that it was a big component whether you realize it or not. 

Sorry, still don't understand your issue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
tl;dr

:neverusethis:

All joking aside, people called you out (Me included) on your homosexuality comment because from what I recall your main argument that it was "unnatural". I think that's a bullshit reason to say that homosexuality should be illegal or whatever, and I definitely felt justified to call you out on that, because I think you are very much in the wrong. If I think your reasoning is full of shit, I'm going to say it and not hold back.

That being said, I don't think you're a bad person, you seem like a nice guy that seems to take things a bit too seriously.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline j

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 04:01:44 PM »
Ignore the losers who post inflammatory things that lend nothing to the discussion.  They have nothing better to do and clearly don't want to add anything or take anything away from it.  Who cares?

I'm sure you're not a pussy, but you've got to admit, you're worrying a little bit too much about being disrespected by some fools on the internet.  Yeah, people get charged up about some of this stuff and I agree with you that some of 'em made pointless, unnecessary comments.  But you can't expect everybody on the internet to keep a level head when faced with something they're emotional about; most people just aren't capable of it.

You're clearly a smart guy with some perspectives that aren't well-represented on this forum.  I'd like you to stick around and discuss some of them, but without going through all of this garbage whenever somebody steps on your toes. :tup

-J

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »
. But if you are trying to prove this place isn't hostile then why are directing negative comments about my reasons or assumptions on my personality? Sure my personality might have a lot to do with how I take in this place, but tell me please how does a negative reaction in any way suddenly convince me that this place isn't somewhat "hostile"?

You appear to be the only one here being negative.

What REALLY gets me though is those people who do not feel like contributing to a debate, they only want to shake the hornet's nest, step back and see what happens. They do this by either making snide statements that really do nothing to further a debate and only serve to intimidate. They put words into your mouth to which others will latch onto as if saying, "I know you said this, but in reality this is what you really said"

A few examples please.

Again, this has nothing to do with people personally attacking me as that has never happened. This has nothing to do with me crying like a little bitch because someone disagreed with me. This has nothing to do with me being some sheltered little baby who jumps at the slightest hint of the word "no" this is simply about the nature of the debate that happens in thiis forum.

Show me the posts in which all of these things were said.

"I know you said this, but in reality this is what you really said"

You are more at fault for this than anyone else here. No one is saying these things you claim. You are interpreting what we say as such, then telling us we meant something else.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
I remember my first heated issued. I gotta admit that the first time I posted at the P/R I was your typical know it all Liberal. This side definitely helped me to ask more difficult questions and get better answers.

Was it shocking at times? Yeah the hell! Ask Barto, Jobe, rumborak, hef, bösk, Sigz, ReaPsTA, Perpetual Change, WW, Abraham Clarck, and our mod: millahhhhh. You get to know people here and their style and their political views. When you have spent that much time here, you feel you have hit the wall and it becomes stale. If you are new at this you'll feel the rush from certain debates; great experiences.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
And really, the P/R section here is absolutely miles ahead of any other similar board on any other forum.  I guess it's a combination of the moderation and the fact that people are always ready to call out dishonest or poor arguments; the trolls have never really managed to establish a foothold here.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 08:23:24 PM »
I remember my first heated issued. I gotta admit that the first time I posted at the P/R I was your typical know it all Liberal. This side definitely helped me to ask more difficult questions and get better answers.

Well I'm glad you've made the glorious transformation from a typical know it all liberal to a typical know it all libertarian.

:-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »

Well I'm glad you've made the glorious transformation from a typical know it all liberal to a typical know it all libertarian.

Ice Burn.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
While I could see the OP as a valid criticism, that "treatise" up there definitely crossed the line of soapboxing.  I don't have the impression anymore that this is really about the forum's discussion style.

And in the end, this whole accusation of religion-hatred doesn't fly since I would say about half of the posters here are religious. So, Vivace, if you can't take "the heat", there's a good amount of your own doing in there. Other people are doing just fine.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

:metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:20 AM »
 :lol

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
While I could see the OP as a valid criticism, that "treatise" up there definitely crossed the line of soapboxing.  I don't have the impression anymore that this is really about the forum's discussion style.

And in the end, this whole accusation of religion-hatred doesn't fly since I would say about half of the posters here are religious. So, Vivace, if you can't take "the heat", there's a good amount of your own doing in there. Other people are doing just fine.

rumborak

Exactly. I'm not religious but a few posters here are and I have a great deal of respect for them.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
. But if you are trying to prove this place isn't hostile then why are directing negative comments about my reasons or assumptions on my personality? Sure my personality might have a lot to do with how I take in this place, but tell me please how does a negative reaction in any way suddenly convince me that this place isn't somewhat "hostile"?

You appear to be the only one here being negative.

What REALLY gets me though is those people who do not feel like contributing to a debate, they only want to shake the hornet's nest, step back and see what happens. They do this by either making snide statements that really do nothing to further a debate and only serve to intimidate. They put words into your mouth to which others will latch onto as if saying, "I know you said this, but in reality this is what you really said"

A few examples please.

Again, this has nothing to do with people personally attacking me as that has never happened. This has nothing to do with me crying like a little bitch because someone disagreed with me. This has nothing to do with me being some sheltered little baby who jumps at the slightest hint of the word "no" this is simply about the nature of the debate that happens in thiis forum.

Show me the posts in which all of these things were said.

"I know you said this, but in reality this is what you really said"

You are more at fault for this than anyone else here. No one is saying these things you claim. You are interpreting what we say as such, then telling us we meant something else.

I give up. I may have over-reacted and if so I'm the only one to blame, but in the end, sorry... I just don't like the atmosphere in here. I like it in the other sub-forums. But not here. I don't know what it is, and apparently I seem to be the only one who sees it. Oh well. What's the difference anyways? It's only the internet.  :hat

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Yes, if that is the conclusion, it's probably best if you leave.

rumborak

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 01:55:05 PM »
Life can be hard. Best wear a helmet.

People who make lavish claims with nothing to back them up can expect to be called on it.  I don't think that is unreasonable.  I'm not addressing anyone in particular, especially as I'm a n00b here, but I don't think anyone could seriously expect their own personal fantasies, delusions or whatever to be indulged by other members of a forum such as this - if that is what someone wants, then I'm sure there are forums somewhere out there which would cater for that outlook and where a person can meet like-minded folk.  In any event, the important thing is to address the content of the post rather than the character of the poster.  I assume that this is one of the fundamental aspects of the forum rules....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
@OP

It gets heated in PR.  You'll see plenty of sensible well thought out posts, some you'll agree with and some you won't.  You'll also see plenty of trolling.  There are no two topics I can think of that are better at dividing people and creating hostilities than politics and religion.  It's not place to be if you hold specific views one way or the other and have ANY inability to see things another way (not saying that YOU do, I don't know your views, just saying in general).

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
In light of the wackiness in this forum about now, I think it's pretty correct to say good posters beget good discussion.  People don't have issues when people make articulate, well reasoned, and honest arguments.  People disagree, but if a high standard of debate is established , it is typically maintained.  Vivace is not a bad poster, and I don't think that any of the discussion with him/her has been hostile.  From the members of this subforum, hostility and general thread suckitude result from a bad poster making bad arguments.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »
I agree whole heartedly. Not sure if I can be called one of those bad posters though. :lol

Offline ehra

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Apparently I am   :-\

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
Apparently I am   :-\
I suspect this was the issue.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=15190.msg630977#msg630977.  Honestly, you have to recognize that your only point there was to be a smartass. That doesn't contribute to the discussion.  While I wouldn't freak out over it myself,  the boards been pretty hectic today with a whole lot of similarly obnoxious posts, so I can understand why Bosk would react the way he did. 
E.F. Benson

Offline ehra

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »
It may have been harsh, but they were also reasons he himself gave for why homosexuality is wrong on page two of the thread. Homosexuals shouldn't adopt kids because the kid could grow up to be gay and/or a murderer. It was a ridiculous post but that was the point, some of his reasons are ridiculous.

edit: Which I guess goes back to the whole point of this thread except the other way around.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
To be honest, they might have been the reasons he gave, but you presented them in a deliberately inflammatory style.  Like I said, I don't see much harm in a singular sarcastic reply, but there have been a shitload of them today.  I'm pretty interested in a couple of the active  threads, but they've been exceedingly difficult to follow because there's been so many people coming from so many directions.  Throw in 25% senseless content, and it's pretty hard to stay interested. 

I think you're one of the good posters, BTW.  This was just a good example of a problematic post. 
E.F. Benson

Offline ehra

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »
To be honest, they might have been the reasons he gave, but you presented them in a deliberately inflammatory style.

True.

Oh well, it's over with. No point whining about a slap on the wrists  :P

edit: Thanks, by the way.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:14 AM »
As a followup I

1) apologize for this thread. Bad first impression indeed
2) doesn't matter I think but have recanted certain positions I have made in the past simply due to logical conclusions that have been both postulated though reason and through other people here. That being said I would like to put this thread and anything else I have said in the past that have been "stupid" and "arrogant" and "bigoted" behind me and start anew all over again.

:angel: :blush

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »
As a followup I

1) apologize for this thread. Bad first impression indeed
2) doesn't matter I think but have recanted certain positions I have made in the past simply due to logical conclusions that have been both postulated though reason and through other people here. That being said I would like to put this thread and anything else I have said in the past that have been "stupid" and "arrogant" and "bigoted" behind me and start anew all over again.

:tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
I would like to put this thread and anything else I have said in the past that have been "stupid" and "arrogant" and "bigoted" behind me and start anew all over again.

OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.