Author Topic: Neurosis Appreciation Thread!  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Neurosis Appreciation Thread!
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
I searched and didn't see one, although from the search it seems that there are a few fans scattered around this forum.

Anyway, any big fans of them out here? I've gotten into them the past few months and am absolutely digging everything that I am hearing by them. Through Silver in Blood is a masterpiece.  :metal
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Neurosis Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »
No one? That's depressing.  :|

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »
BUMP

I know I'm not the only one that likes Neurosis around here.... I think. :|

Offline thecrowing

• DTF's Resident Child of the Fence
  • Help me Cosmia; I'm grieving!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »
Yeah, I mean I started listening to them when I was getting into post-metal/sludge but IMO there are just better versions of what they do. I guess if you're getting into that world they can bring you in at a kind of easy angle, especially if you're coming from a certain non-avant-garde place. I found it a little too brutal for it's own kind. Like they were taking something that was in-your-face and like... tried... uhh... like putting it more in your faceIDONNOW but it just didn't do it like Rosetta. Then, I found Mouth of the Architect. Nothing more exists.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:33:26 AM »
Amazing band. Particularly in their consistency

(Through Silver In Blood) thru (The Eye of Every Storm) is one of the greatest sequences of albums produced by any band ever.

My personal favourite album is Times of Grace, but they all are around the same quality. The first thing that hits you is how depressing as fuck their music it is. It literally saps you mentally when listening to it. And not in a bad way, in a very powerful and refreshing way. I mean I love sludge metal like Isis and Mastodon, but Neurosis are on a different planet. So yes, I appreciate  :hefdaddy
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »

(Through Silver In Blood) thru (The Eye of Every Storm) is one of the greatest sequences of albums produced by any band ever.

My personal favourite album is Times of Grace, but they all are around the same quality. The first thing that hits you is how depressing as fuck their music it is. It literally saps you mentally when listening to it. And not in a bad way, in a very powerful and refreshing way. I mean I love sludge metal like Isis and Mastodon, but Neurosis are on a different planet. So yes, I appreciate  :hefdaddy
YES! I knew SOMEONE here had to enjoy Neurosis! :p
o/

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »

o/
*\o

I can't believe they are playing a show with Godspeed You! Black Emperor...I would kill 1000s babies to be at that show  >:( Too bad I live so far away, on the arse of the world. :lolpalm:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »

o/
*\o

I can't believe they are playing a show with Godspeed You! Black Emperor...I would kill 1000s babies to be at that show  >:( Too bad I live so far away, on the arse of the world. :lolpalm:
WHAT

I didn't even know Neurosis was even touring right now. Where at, what dates, WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN WHY HOW

Not that I could afford it anyway  :sadpanda:

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
WHAT

I didn't even know Neurosis was even touring right now. Where at, what dates, WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN WHY HOW

https://www.last.fm/music/Neurosis/+events

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »
WHAT

https://www.last.fm/music/Neurosis/+events
I live on the east coast :(

Although MDF looks awesome, not sure I could even be able to get to Maryland to see them there either :(

:'(

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:58:01 AM »
Times Of Grace is just bitchin'. Ever heard it alone in a silent room on headphones? Yeah, thought so.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
Bump because this band is so awesome.  I've been playing little else than Through Silver in Blood and The Eye of Every Storm recently.

It's a shame not many more people know them here.   

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
I'm a bit interested in them, i've actually downloaded one of their albums... Enemy of the Sun, and got it on my harddrive.
Not sure if it's a good choice or what to expect, but i'll check it out whenever i have time. :P

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »
They seem like a band you could like.  Enemy of the Sun isn't exactly their best album, but it's very good.  I, as well as many others, would tell you The Eye of Every Storm, as it is the best one I think. 

Neurosis are REALLY hard to get into - one of the most dense bands I've ever heard, but when the music begins to really click it has a whole new level of beauty.  It's very emotionally intense. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
Checking out Through Silver in Blood right now... The Eye of Every Storm is next.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
incredible band and incredible live
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »
Big thread bump. I really love The Eye of Every Storm a lot. More people should listen to these guys.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »
Gonna check em out soon
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Through Silver in Blood is a fantastic album.  :metal

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
The Eye of Every Storm is better imo
I AM A GUY

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »
Haven't heard that one, just TSiB and Given to the Rising.

Speaking of which, listen to Given to the Rising.  Specifically those first vocal melodies.  Sounds like a certain Mastodon song featuring Scott Kelly on guest vocals, doesn't it?   :P  I guess I'm not too bothered though since "Crack the Skye" utilizes the melody better and is way heavier in general, though the last two minutes of GttR is incredible. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
I should check them out. I remember when I delivered pizza a friend of mine at the shop loaned me Times of Grace to listen to for my whole shift. Didn't take with me at all but I think I'll give 'em another shot for the hell of it.

Also Scott Kelly was phenomenal on Mastodon's Aqua Dementia(he was the dude doing the scorching black metal type vocals in the verses, right?) I'd love it if anyone could find a live clip of that song with him guesting since youtube has the other two Mastodon tracks he's guested on live.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
I thought Brent was the one doing the vocals during the fast bits and Scott Kelly sang the bits right after it.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
I thought Brent was the one doing the vocals during the fast bits and Scott Kelly sang the bits right after it.

I dunno. It's just that those screams are way higher-pitched than anything Brent or Troy have ever done in any other song. I know Brent falls a little short of matching the album recording's intensity for some songs live but the gap between album and live for that is a ridiculous spread. I'm confused.

Edit: I'll make any further replies on this in the Mastodon thread to avoid derailment. Hope to see you in there skydivingninja.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »
I finally gave A Sun That Never Sets a listen today and it blew me away. "Stones From the Sky" is such an amazing track.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
Bump because this might just be the best metal band there is.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
I think Enemy Of The Sun is an awesome album. Through Silver In Blood's fantastic as well. Will need to check Given To The Rising though. If it made it onto Steven Wilson's top 10 albums of 2007 then it must be incredible.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Why hasn't this thread passed one page yet? It started four years ago!

I haven't yet listened past Souls at Zero yet, so I wouldn't say that I'm an expert on the band. However that album rules so far, so I'm looking forward to listening to the rest.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
This band deserves more praise, because they are one of the best metal bands out there. With the exception of Converge, I honestly can't think of another band with such a strong discography. We're talking at least 7 incredible albums with some of them being classics.

It's one of those bands where I find it hard to pick a favorite, but also rank the albums in general. Such a strong discography, but if I were to rank them right now (and this would probably change tomorrow), I would go with:

Through Silver in Blood
The Eye of Every Storm
Times of Grace
Souls at Zero
A Sun That Never Sets
Given to the Rising
Enemy of the Sun
--
Honor Found in Decay
--
The Word as Law
Pain of Mind

The first two albums they made are kinda throwaway albums IMO, and the most recent, Honor Found in Decay felt like a bit of a safe album that didn't stick out as much, but it was still a great album. Everything in between is just stellar though.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
The first two albums they made are kinda throwaway albums IMO

I agree. When I listened to those it was a chore for me to get though (I'm not really a fan of punk music of any kind, so that might be why), but when I listened to Souls at Zero, it was something entirely different and much more ambitious. The only downsides to that album were that the two short interludes (Zero and Empty) felt pointless and the samples didn't feel well integrated with the music. It was also quite difficult to absorb fully in the first listen, but I suspect that this will be a band with albums that require many listens.

Through Silver in Blood seems like an album I should really look forward to listen to as tons of praise seems to be thrown its way and you seem to agree with that praise considering it's at the top of your list. I do hope that I will enjoy it as much as you do.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:01:06 PM by Enigmachine »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
I do really love Souls at Zero, but I understand your points. I feel like their use of samples improves a lot the further you get into their career. So for instance on Souls at Zero they might sound a bit off, but already on the following album, Enemy of the Sun, they are used a lot better. And it only improves from there. Overall I feel like they have improved a lot when it comes to constructing their albums, but while Souls at Zero and Enemy of the Sun might be a bit more raw and ferocious, there is still something I really appreciate even if they are a bit more unpolished.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
I just listened to Enemy of the Sun. It's definitely one of the more intense albums I've heard although I don't particularly like Cleanse. It just seems like 15 minutes of tribal drumming without the dynamics that I expect from a Neurosis song. It would be as good if not better than Souls for Zero, but for me, Cleanse drags it down below it. Still great though.

Are there any other Neurosis fans here?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Cleanse is really unique and I had similar feelings to you when I first heard it, but it has grown on me quite a lot since. There's something very hypnotizing about it, and it's one of those songs that is so unique that I kinda like it more as an experiment rather than a great epic song. I haven't quite heard anything else like it, and as a result it's very cool. I can see why it would drag the album down for some, personally I like it, even if it's not a favorite Neurosis song or anything.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Fair enough. I suppose that once you're expecting it, you can appreciate it more for what it is instead of being disappointed at what what it isn't. That could pretty much sum up all songs / albums / artists that are 'growers', so there is a chance of it growing on me too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »
Oh yeah, definitely. Before I had even heard the album, I saw there was a 15 minute track and I expected something really epic. Like this behemoth of a song that takes you through many different places and has that "progressive" quality to it. Cleanse is epic in another sense, but yeah that initial disappointment took some spins to get over.  :lol