Author Topic: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - You made a huge dent in my wallet  (Read 51103 times)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 1 submission
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »
I have a feeling someone would have sent the song I was initially going to send  :azn:
Oh for those playing at home, I was thinking of '$' by Cloudkicker. But I should have known Sigz would send his favourite Amesoeurs track  :P
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 1 results page 2
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
Hmm...for me the record scratch thing is the climax of the song and pretty much the moment where the song "kick it up a notch" but whatever, to each his own! I was expecting to finish last when I read (after sending the song) that you didn't like electronic stuff that much. But that doesn't bother me too much, those games are for discovering new music and you knew what to unexpect when you picked me for your roulette. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »
Wow, some interesting arists in there, many I've never heard of, I'll check them out later.

I'm happy with my ranking, I will send you my link in about 12 hours DTVT.

Remember, you're 12 hours ahead of me, or so, so Sunday morning for me is Sunday night for you.

Oh yeah, I always forget that when I'm on here.  I'll have it by Sunday night (my time) latest.

Definietely check the entire Perpetual Burn album by Jason, it's amazing.  I kinda understand your comment about the noodling, but IMO it's so amazing I totally look past it.  Here's another highlight from the same album.

https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=jason_becker_eleven
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:04:38 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
I've made my choice here. The vocals to this song make me have to sing-along all the time, hopefully it has the same effect on you! I wanted to save these guys for later, but maybe I can get away with using them twice.  :)
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
PM sent.

I also suggest you take a look at the entire suite, its fucking amazing. The main meat of the suite is called "Synagoga Satanae" (or close to that), a 14 minute doom/stoner type epic, if you're into doom/stoner kind of riffs. But that's part of why I love CF, all their albums sound so different to me. From the straight up thrashiness of Morbid Tales to the polished and epic yet raw thrasher To Mega Therion to the highly experimental and weird Into The Pandemonium to the major comeback of Monotheist, each album has a distinct feel. They aren't the most technical, but for being a band associated with creating Black Metal they have showed that they aren't afraid to change their style and experiment. I love all of them (Well, I don't love Cold Lake but that's Celtic Frost's St. Anger so no one talks about Cold Lake) and definitely recommend them to anyone.  :)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:07 AM »
I'm fine with 3 points in the first round tbh, i've thought about this next round for a bit and decided to take a somewhat big risk.

PM sent.  ;)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2010, 03:43:12 AM »
Sent. Another huge risk, but it's one of my favorite vocal performances ever, so yeah.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »
My song has been sent.  I had to send it because I love it so much, but might not be what DTVT is after.  I stand by my choice though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »
DTVT, I just noticed Vanishing Point on your list.  :tup  Amazing Aussie melodic rock.  Embrace the Silence is probably one of my top 15 albums of all time.  Perfect cd from beginning to end.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »
It might be a couple days to get these written up.  Work today and every day this week, Steelers game tonight, Nick's show Monday night, and I have to get some stuff graded by Tuesday.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »
no problem  :tup
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
It might be a couple days to get these written up.  Work today and every day this week, Steelers game tonight, Nick's show Monday night, and I have to get some stuff graded by Tuesday.

No stress bro, you gotta do what you gotta do.  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
OK, before you read the results, I have to say scoring these songs was so freaking hard.  All of you are sending me some really awesome stuff, just look what I wrote about the last place song for this round.  

Round 2 - Vocal Performance

6 points
YtseBitsySpider - Queensryche - Someone Else? (youtube) - What can I say, I'm a sucker for Geoff Tate, and I only have two Queensryche albums.  One of my least favorite criticisms of a singer is, "He sounds like Geoff Tate."  WTF is wrong with that?  Nothing I say.  If this were an open round, this song would have been lower (don't get me wrong, I liked the song, but this round was tough), but being the "vocal performance" round, but Geoff brought his A game to this ballad.

5 points
SoundscapeMN - The Dear Hunter - His Hands Matched His Tongue https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=His%20Hands%20Matched%20His%20Tongue - This song reminded me of the Radiohead song "Let Down" - in a very good way.  These two The Dear Hunter songs have me very excited for the albums which I ordered before this round (I hadn't heard these songs before, which is why I accepted them)

Portrucci - The Dear Hunter - What It Means To Be Alone https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/What+It+Means+To+Be+Alone/2g8kAO
- Well, the same singer, so these songs figured to be near each other, right?  I'm starting to get a Thom Yorke feel to Casey Crescenzo's voice, which I definately dig.

4 points
Sigz - Battle of Mice - Sleep and Dream https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Crying/2ToTzZ - Well, this is certainly...interesting.  This is my first exposure to this band and singer, Julie Christmas (is she married to Lloyd Christmas?)  The "whisper-singing" (that's what I'm calling it) contrasting with Julie's few screams,  in addition to her regular singing, worked really well and showcased her talent.  I had this song as high as 3rd place and as low as last place in this round, so I'm not really sure how I feel about this song even after six listens, and the tightness of this round makes these rankings somewhat fluid, so it's here for now.

Wolfking - Beyond Twilight - Crying https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Crying/2ToTzZ - When I saw that I was sent Jorn Lande in addtion to Geoff, Casey, and Mike Patton (see below), I knew I created a horrible monster in trying to score these songs.  Jorn delivers the soaring powerful vocals he's known for here.  I really need to get around to checking out his bands stuff though.

3 points
Gorille85 - Mr. Bungle - Squeeze Me Macaroni (youtube) - Mike Patton...another talented guy in his own right.  Rather than relying on range (Geoff), or expression (Casey Crescenzo), speed and inflection are Mike's tools.  While the song itself might be the least favorite of the ones sent this round, the first 4 minutes are a showcase of Mike's talents.  The Faith No More fan in me just went upside my head with a tire iron for placing this so low...

2 points
Zantera - Ulver - EOS https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/EOS/2uw6NB - The thing I liked about this song was the lower register vocals.  A vast improvement over the Ulver song I was sent last round, and the vocals have everything to do with it.  I don't know how often I could make it though an entire album of this stuff though, musically speaking.  I just don't go for this slow atmospheric stuff.

1 point
Seventh Son - High Passage/Low Passage (youtube)- I really liked this song...I mean I REALLY liked this song.  If this was an open round, it might have won.  I'll definitly  look into get one of their albums next time I make a CD order, but as far as actual vocal performance...this song just ran into flying buzzsaws this round.  They vocal performance wasn't bad in any way, shape, or form...it just wasn't the showcase of the song.  I feel aweful that I have to give one point though...I mean I REALLY liked this song.  I was originally going to give it 2 points, but I couldn't figure which song to take a point from.  I even considered taking half a point off of two songs.

**NEW ADDITION**
Just for shits and giggles, I'm going to start posting the song I would have sent had I been playing, just to kind of return the favor and maybe turn you on to a band I like.  Here is a song from the new Therion album, Sitra Ahra, the song is Unguentum Sabbati https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=Unguentum Sabbati  I don't know how to post the direct link to the song, so I just put the search in.

After 2 rounds:

SoundscapeMN & YtseBitsySpider - 11
Sigz & Portrucci- 9
Wolfking -8
Zantera - 5
Gorille85 - 4
Seventh Son - 3

Still plenty of time for a comeback.

Round 3:  Lyrical content - a song whose lyrics are either very meaningful or very important to you

Looking forward to your next submissions!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:57:00 AM by DTVT »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 2 results page 3
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »
Cool stuff.  I have never listened to the Deer Hunter but with two submissions, I will listen to these later. 

When should the next songs be in DTVT?  I am lost on the next round.  I hardly ever pay attention to lyrics, and songs with lyrics that I do like are an ultimate cheese fest!  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »
If I have them in 48 hours I can probably score it this weekend.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
wow,, glad you're digging those tunes. I imagine it is hard to rank these. I'm going to have to check out many of the submissions. I guess if I end up doing 1 of these, I definitely will do my scoring/ranking differently. Kind of like rym I suppose. There is no 1st/2nd/3rd. just 1 through 5. Every submission could receive a 5 or a 1 possibly every round.

The lyrical round: I need to rethink about them being *personal* to me I guess (I was just thinking impressive/moving lyrics in general).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2010, 01:31:03 AM »
If I have them in 48 hours I can probably score it this weekend.

2 days from now is good for me.

Also DTVT, will you take the music and vocal delivery into consideration for this round.  Or you will soley base it on lyrical content?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2010, 03:48:30 AM »
PM sent. :)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:12 AM »
Really wasn't expecting it to be scored that high, but glad you liked it  :metal

This next round is gonna be really hard though; there are very few songs whose lyrics I even pay attention to, let alone have some kind of attachment to.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2010, 04:29:36 AM »
Sleep and Dream is my favourite BoM song :metal

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »
Hmm....not too much from Queensryche as excited me for years now...glad you liked that one.

I think I know what you'll get this round.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2010, 05:49:16 AM »
I have no fucking idea what to send!  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2010, 06:51:57 AM »
Also DTVT, will you take the music and vocal delivery into consideration for this round.  Or you will soley base it on lyrical content?

I take the whole package into consideration, but the main focus is the lyrical content.  The music itself would be kind of like a tiebreaker.

I guess if I end up doing 1 of these, I definitely will do my scoring/ranking differently. Kind of like rym I suppose. There is no 1st/2nd/3rd. just 1 through 5. Every submission could receive a 5 or a 1 possibly every round.

This round really made me consider doing that, I thought about going with three 5's, two 4's, and three 3's for this round; but I ultimately could draw all those deliniations and I don't want to end up with a logjam after 6 rounds score wise, so for the sake of the roulette I spread them out.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
1 point
Seventh Son - High Passage/Low Passage (youtube)- I really liked this song...I mean I REALLY liked this song.  If this was an open round, it might have won.  I'll definitly  look into get one of their albums next time I make a CD order, but as far as actual vocal performance...this song just ran into flying buzzsaws this round.  They vocal performance wasn't bad in any way, shape, or form...it just wasn't the showcase of the song.  I feel aweful that I have to give one point though...I mean I REALLY liked this song.  I was originally going to give it 2 points, but I couldn't figure which song to take a point from.  I even considered taking half a point off of two songs.
Its fine, I'm just a major Mike Scalzi fanboy and I love damn near anything the man sings to death  :lol
If you're interested in a CD to pick up, you should start with Traveler (The album that song was from), and then try other stuff like Hardworlder and Down Among the Deadmen or Ape Uprising when you can get the cash!

Glad you love them though, I've been trying to get DTF into them for a while  :lol

As for Round 3, I"m not a huge lyrics guy, but I do think I have a song with some really awesome lyrics. I'll let you be the judge though. ;)

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »
Also, PM sent. Hope you like it!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Fucking shit this is hard. I'm having trouble coming up with a single song whose lyrics are actually important to me in some way, let alone one I think DTVT would actually like.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
I can send you mine if you'd like to know what you need to beat.

;)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
I don't really connect to the lyrics that I sent, but I think they're still beautiful in a poetic sense. I don't need to connect to lyrics to recognize when they are well written ;)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
Fucking shit this is hard. I'm having trouble coming up with a single song whose lyrics are actually important to me in some way, let alone one I think DTVT would actually like.
this :lol

I was literally slowly scrolling though my library remembering if the lyrics stood out of any album and I just couldn't think of any in particular. Music always was more powerful to me then lyrics. And the lyrics I do actually really like, make almost no sense or have little depth. I may be last this round :lolpalm:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Wow, I seem to be the only one confident this round  :lol

I'm sitting in last place though, so I kind of need a big boost from this round  :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
this :lol

I was literally slowly scrolling though my library remembering if the lyrics stood out of any album and I just couldn't think of any in particular. Music always was more powerful to me then lyrics. And the lyrics I do actually really like, make almost no sense or have little depth. I may be last this round :lolpalm:

All of this.  I have a bad feeling I'll be receiving 1 point.  :facepalm:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
There is a lot of song I connect to lyrically so I just chose the one that I thought DTVT would like to dance his ass off to.