Author Topic: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - You made a huge dent in my wallet  (Read 51113 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 3 results page 4
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »
I really do complain alot.
And then appologize for it.
Im not trying to be dismissive in sending all my tracks ahead of time, in stead I think it will spare you some bitching from my end. I'll just pop in and check see how my songs did when I see the results are up.

glad you liked the PF song....it certainly is about regret...and anger.....as in...where were you...when I needed you the most.......and the singer is coming back...without whomever let him down. Good stuff. PF always get you thinkin.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
@DTVT: Kansas was writing about Icarus before Maiden was.  So what?  Daedalus is one of the most powerful, emotional, and epic songs ever.  You fail and stuff.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »
To me, the lyrics are about someone that only wished a better life for his son/a person he love. And in the process of making a move to make things better, he lose this person the most and I find that to be extremly sad. The way he sings it and with the music etc I thought it would be a good choice.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2010, 05:58:49 AM »
I can understand where DTVT's coming with Daedalus. What makes it great is the delivery, not the lyrics themselves.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »
I can understand where DTVT's coming with Daedalus. What makes it great is the delivery, not the lyrics themselves.

Thank you.  You guys remember the shit we gave numbers when he had Opeth win a "classic" round over early Rush, George Thorogood, Thin Lizzy, early Maiden, the Stones, etc.?  Not happening here.

And to be fair to myself, Daedalus would have been at or near the bottom if this round was open scoring.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »

Thank you.  You guys remember the shit we gave numbers when he had Opeth win a "classic" round over early Rush, George Thorogood, Thin Lizzy, early Maiden, the Stones, etc.?  Not happening here.

And to be fair to myself, Daedalus would have been at or near the bottom if this round was open scoring.
I still wish I had known beforehand what you considered good lyrics :P
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2010, 10:47:38 AM »
Whatever, it's your roulette. :tup

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »
Something I think you and all future roulette should do: When you post the results of a round please say at the top what the theme was so I don't have to search through pages of previous posts to find it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
That's a good idea...you should post that in the general roulette thread as well.  I'll try to remember to do that.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »
Round 4 - Debut Album

This round was hard, because aside from one song, they were all enjoyable to some extent, which is why I skipped 2 point songs this round.

6 points
Gorille85 - Stolen Babies - Push Button - The first thing I thought of when I heard this was a more accessible Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, a band with obvious genius that often eludes my interest.  Thankfully, this song reminded me of all the reasons I enjoy Sleepytime, and none of the reasons I struggle with them sometimes.  Good call, I quite enjoyed that, and at the same time it was somewhat outside of my stated interests.  Fortune favors the bold (sometimes...see below)

5 points
Sigz - Giant Squid - Neonate - Love the band name.  Also really liked the song...it has a disjointed, frantic feel without using speed, the usual vehicle for "frantic" in music.  Love the piano part at the end as well.  Another band I'm going to add to "buy if I find" list I keep on my Blackberry.

YtseBitsySpider - Cloudscape - Every Day Is Up To You - I'm not sure if I recall ever hearing of this band before, so it's a shame there hasn't been much discussion about them.  Pretty much straight up my alley prog metal, so I'm just lappin' this up.  Add another band I'm going to check out.

4 points
Wolfking - Queensryche - Take Hold of the Flame - Geoff Tate rocks.  I knew that.  This song just reminded me I have to go back and pick up this album.  I said earlier in the thread that there might be diminishing returns on repeat bands, and that's the only reason I'm scoring it this low.  Got to reward the people who went outside the box.  This is why I'm going to implement the new rule below.

3 points
SoundscapeMN - Pure Reason Revolution - Golden Clothes - I really liked the instrumental first minute.  This song reminds me in an indirect way of PoS's "Used" - in that parts of it were preventing me from enjoying the song as a whole when I first heard it.  I've grown to love "Used", and I think I could grow to love this song.  I really enjoy the mixture of male and female vocals, but I don't like when they overprocess them and get that stuttering effect, and it gets a little too electronic for my taste in the middle of the song.  I also think it's weird that PRR has essentially 3 different debut records, depending on where in the world you live.

Seventh Son - Candlemass - Solitude - Is that Locrian in the beginning?  That really set the mood for this song.  The creepiness is heaped on more because it sounds like its being played on a warped record that is revolving one or two rpm slower at times.  The only glaring weakness is the singer, he's not bad, but I've heard much better.

Zantera - Pure Reason Revolution - Apprentice of the Universe - The song itself was rather enjoyable minus the "bleepy bloop" stuff at the beginning, and the 30 seconds of noise at the end of the track.  The middle part is rather enjoyable though, a nice relaxed groove. 

1 point
Portrucci - Neu! - Negativland - While I appriciate being sent something I haven't been exposed to before, this seems to represent two areas of music I've never really been able to get into, electronic and krautrock.  There's just not enough meat on this bone for me.  Sure, it makes a nice stock, but most people don't want stock, they want the hearty soup.  Soup me.

After 4 rounds:

YtseBitsySpider - 22
SoundscapeMN - 20
Portrucci- 15
Wolfking - 15
Sigz - 15
Zantera - 12
Gorille85 - 11
Seventh Son - 9

New rule:  If a band places a song with 4 points or more in a round, it's done for the roulette.  I'm looking for as many new bands as possible, but I don't mind getting two of the same band in the same round, or getting another song from a band I scored low previously if you feel like I need to re-evaluate them.

Round 5 - New release - again, another openish round, but the song must be from a bands most recent album that came out within the last 2 years.

Bands no longer accepted:
God Is an Astronaut
Maxxess
Amesoeurs
Ragnarok
Jason Becker
Queensryche
The Dear Hunter (now own these anyway)
Battle of Mice
Beyond Twilight
Kevin Gilbert
Pink Floyd
Muse
Anathema
Stolen Babies
Giant Squid
Cloudscape

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: DTVT's Music discovery Roulette game - Round 4 results page 5
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
Probably my favourite song of all time gets 1 point  :lol I guess that's what makes music interesting, there is so much variety and everyone is going to experience it differently. I admit that choice was probably a too ambitious on my part. The rest I send won't be so weird  :lol. I didn't really get what you meant by the write up, but I always appreciate you taking the time to do these rounds.  :tup :tup
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:04 PM »
Probably my favourite song of all time gets 1 point  :lol I guess that's what makes music interesting, there is so much variety and everyone is going to experience it differently. I admit that choice was probably a too ambitious on my part. The rest I send won't be so weird  :lol. I didn't really get what you meant by the write up, but I always appreciate you taking the time to do these rounds.  :tup :tup

I guess I just would have liked more going on in the music to keep my interest.  Like you said in your PM, they use repetition, which is fine if you can make variations to the theme, but it was too repetitive for me.  I appriciate the fact that you went a different direction.  That's how I find new stuff to like.  New directions are paying off for Sigz.  This just didn't quite do it for me.  Don't let one bad round discourage you...you did get me hooked on Agalloch last year  :tup

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
YES!! :tup

That's what I wanted to do with those roulettes: Taking risks and exposed people to genres that they're maybe not familiar with. It's fine if I don't win or whatever. Anyway, I'm glad you liked the song. :)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »
I guess I just would have liked more going on in the music to keep my interest.  Like you said in your PM, they use repetition, which is fine if you can make variations to the theme, but it was too repetitive for me.  I appriciate the fact that you went a different direction.  That's how I find new stuff to like.  New directions are paying off for Sigz.  This just didn't quite do it for me.  Don't let one bad round discourage you...you did get me hooked on Agalloch last year  :tup
No probs  ;D They are a pretty "love it or hate" type band. I also have a good idea of what I want to send next round. PM incoming shortly  :)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
I forgot to do this for the last round, but the songs I would have submitted if I was playing:

Round 3: Lyrical content - Redemption - The Fullness of Time IV: Transcendence https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=Redemption The Fullness of Time IV

Round 4: Debut: Threshold - Paradox https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=Threshold Paradox

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »
just to clarify, are songs from EPs eligible or not for this current round?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
Wow, I'm sitting pretty right in the middle for all these rounds  :lol

I understand the beef with recycling bands.  Honestly work has been crazy and I don't have a lot of time to sit down and think of something obscure to dish out.  To be honest, I'm kind of intimidated by some of you guys and your band choices, I'm so plain and generic with my choices and really don't listen to anything obscure that DTVT already knows, I just like standard metal and basic prog that DTVT already knows.

I forgot to do this for the last round, but the songs I would have submitted if I was playing:

Round 3: Lyrical content - Redemption - The Fullness of Time IV: Transcendence https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=Redemption The Fullness of Time IV

Round 4: Debut: Threshold - Paradox https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=Threshold Paradox

Redemption are an amazing band. 

Threshold are one of the most underrated prog bands ever, I love them, it's a shame they are not talked about much at all, they really are one of my favs.  Extinct Instinct is an amazing album!!!

Also, I have to check out some more Cloudscape.  Mike Anderrson has an excellent voice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:52 PM »
PM sent!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »
Again, I have no clue on what I'm gonna send.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2010, 04:32:14 AM »
DTVT, can I send a song that's like 2 years and 1 month old....please??

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
Glad you like the Cloudscape............funny I thought about sending you Threshold but they're pretty well known...and I think in one of your write ups you said "not too poppy" which alot of Threshold can get. (Oh I quite enjoy them too)

I guess we're considering Take Hold of The Flame to be on the debut album, or the Queen of the Reich as an EP....great song...just wondering.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2010, 06:38:23 AM »
I was hoping you'd like Candlemass more  :sadpanda:

Oh well. PM sent.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »
Huzzah for Giant Squid and Stolen Babies! :laugh:
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2010, 06:56:49 AM »
Giant Squid fucking rules.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2010, 08:29:43 AM »
just to clarify, are songs from EPs eligible or not for this current round?

Just for the Debut round.  Now EPs are fair play.  For example, Pain of Salvation released Road Salt One this year, and released an EP about a year ago.  I would consider both fair play for this round since the EP isn't really an album - except for the fact I already have them.

DTVT, can I send a song that's like 2 years and 1 month old....please??

As long as it's their most recent album that's fine.  I just didn't want something like Enchant where their most recent album is 7 years old (COME ON GUYS!!!), or some band that quit 20 years ago and therefore not recording anymore.

I was hoping you'd like Candlemass more  :sadpanda:

It's not that I didn't like it...that's why I didn't make any 2 point songs.  But the pie is only so big.

And Ytse, I said EPs don't count as Debut albums, so wolfking's song was fair play.  I checked everyones, that's how I knew there were 3 different versions of PRR's.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »
Glad you like the Cloudscape............funny I thought about sending you Threshold but they're pretty well known...and I think in one of your write ups you said "not too poppy" which alot of Threshold can get. (Oh I quite enjoy them too)

I guess we're considering Take Hold of The Flame to be on the debut album, or the Queen of the Reich as an EP....great song...just wondering.

Mike Andersson is amazing.

Yeah, I considered Lady Wore Black or something from the EP than remembered that DTVT wanted debut album only.  I was gonna send prophecy but that wasn't on the original album, only on the reissue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2010, 03:11:57 AM »
PM Sent.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »
I LOVE Mike Anderson's voice..and singing style....I've followed him to a couple other side projects as well.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
I LOVE Mike Anderson's voice..and singing style....I've followed him to a couple other side projects as well.

Did you happen to check out the Planet Alliance project?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
but of course!
:)

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »
but of course!
:)

Excellent, that was an amazing album, I have spun that so many times.  Such a great lineup and wonderful songs all the way through.  Magnus Karlsson is the highlight for me, his guitar work really is incredible.  I was also surprised how well Mattias' leads fitted in, since he has such a unique and obscure style.  Carl and Janne are great guitarists too.  And I couldn't have asked for a better vocalist than Mike for that project.  My fav tracks are;

The Real You
Remember Me (AMAZING solos!)
Calling My Name
A Taste Of Paradise
Where To Go
Digging Your Own Grave

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2010, 05:17:44 AM »
I tried pimping that disc a few times here, and nobody really gave a shit so I stopped.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2010, 06:06:10 AM »
I've tried pimping Slough Feg here before, so I know how you feel  :sadpanda: