Author Topic: Jesus Christ Superstar  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus Christ Superstar
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
So is anyone a fan of this work in any of its incarnations? I got to thinking about it in the Phantom of the Opera topic, and was going to post this there, but I decided to start a new topic.

I used to listen to the ORIGINAL concept-album featuring Murray Head and Ian Gillian, and I love that one. Then, today, when I was at my University's library, I saw they newer recording with Alice Cooper. I was skeptical, but I'm listen to that one now and have relatively few problems with it.

Overall, I've heard four versions.

The first, original album with Gillian, which I think is amazing. Certainly one of the best concept albums of all times.

Then, there's the first movie from the 70s. I like that one too, but not as much as the original.

After that, there's the one with Alice Cooper. I like that one, my only real issue is that it's definitely more of a "singers" album than a "rock" album. You can hear this by how loud the voices are compared to the music. Also it doesn't have the authentic 70s thing that the original has.

Finally, there's the NEWER movie. I really can't stand that one at all. Hate it.

Anyway... discuss?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Jesus Christ Superstar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:45:15 PM »
I didn't know there was a newer movie.  I only know the one with Ted Neely as Jesus and Carl Anderson as Judas.  It's pretty cool, especially some of the "re-imaginings".  But for the musical performance itself, I like the Broadway version with Ian and Murray.

(Slightly off-topic: Because Judas is black in the movie, I thought Murray Head was black for a long time.  I mean, you can't always tell by just a voice, but he "sounds" black on the JCS soundtrack.  That's not meant to be racist, just an observation.)

Anyway, I pretty much agree with you on the original "brown cover" version as the version, probably because I grew up with it.  I still crank it up in the car on the way to/from work sometimes.  For a long time, it was the sole entry in the "Soundtrack" genre of my iPod.

I can totally imagine any newer production not having the authentic 70's feel.  I like Alice Cooper, but generally with soundtracks I prefer singers I don't know very well.  If I listened to the Alice Cooper version, I wouldn't hear the character singing; I'd hear Alice Cooper singing the character.

Kinda like the movie version of "Tommy" or even the newer version of "The Wall".  Yeah, it's cool getting different interpretations of the songs, but at some point it's not just about the music and the songs; it's at least partly, if not mostly, about the singer.  Tina Turner is a great Aicd Queen, but when people say "She is the Acid Queen, man!" that certainly seems to be putting the singer ahead of the song.  Bryan Adams does a great version of "I Need a Dirty Woman" and I don't even like Bryan Adams, but his voice is perfect for that song and he rocks it.  But at some point it becomes a story as an excuse for the songs, not a story told in song.  The performance is just a parade of guest stars singing the songs.  It's about where the emphasis is placed.

Whoa, sorry about the rant.  Anyway, Jesus Christ Superstar was the first rock opera, and is still my favorite.  ("Tommy" -- depending on how you define it -- could also be considered the first rock opera, but that's okay, it's my second favorite).)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:24:03 PM »

Offline Fnejk

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:01:37 AM »
Honestly I think the newer film (2000) version is vastly better then the original, I mean, comon just listen to this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPse_9C8I8&feature=related and tell me that is not better then the original  :hefdaddy

Not to mention that the entire sound of the music is way better.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:27:44 AM »
Nah man. The new movie really loses way to much of the rockin' edge. Besides, the original Gethsemane is Ian Gillian, for Christ's Sake!

Now if you want to argue that that particular performance of Gethsemane is better than the one in the 70s movies, I might agree, but the 70s movies is NOT the same as the original soundtrack, though it's still good, and slays the newer movie in pretty much every way.

Plus, the original movies Judas is great. The newer one doesn't fit at all.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »
The 2000 movie is the worst rendition ever.  Judas was just awful... no, all the acting was just awful.

To me, the best version was the original film, sound -wise and visually.  Carl Anderson was incredible, he really brought a lot of heart to the role, and though Steve Balsamo is my favorite Jesus, Neely did a great job, and Pilate was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xL6vtLM9U My favorite Judas performance.

Offline Fnejk

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
Nah man. The new movie really loses way to much of the rockin' edge. Besides, the original Gethsemane is Ian Gillian, for Christ's Sake!

Now if you want to argue that that particular performance of Gethsemane is better than the one in the 70s movies, I might agree, but the 70s movies is NOT the same as the original soundtrack, though it's still good, and slays the newer movie in pretty much every way.

Plus, the original movies Judas is great. The newer one doesn't fit at all.

Fine, I guess I just like that rendition better because it was the first one i saw.  :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »
Hehe. I hear ya. But....

Can you really compare this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vh8_n7uW4s

With this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDzxn66W3uM&feature=related

I just think the older one is much more rocking... the newer ones is too much vocals on having a broadway voice.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
I don't mind the new Heaven on their Minds too much (though I don't like it either) nearly as much as how Jerome butchered the Judas' Death song, which was originally my favorite.  I also liked Pilate so much in the '73 version, the trial scene was great in the movie.  Neely did a great Gethsemane, though my favorite is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-rre_BXxC0 Balsamo is a fantastic singer.

But here's a fantastic Judas in an amateur rendition... he really nails every song and gets the emotions well (though not quite as well as Carl)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOBZcKyFn4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WCAUUkEApU&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5uDm7rz6I4&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:08:49 AM by dtismajesty »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:54 AM »
I first experienced JCS in college as a student play. I knew nothing about it going in, and was totally moved by the story. I remember the program saying something like “This isn’t meant to be a retelling of the way things happened 2000 years ago, just a suggestion as to the way things could have happened. I was learning about Christianity and going to church at the time and just found it very provocative. Could Pilate have such doubts and reservations as in ‘Pilate’s Dream’ for example?  Anyway, after the show I found out a guy in my hall had the 1970 recording. I borrowed it, and have been hooked ever since. It’s the only version I’m really familiar with, other than the film, which I saw a long time ago. I’ll check out these other versions this weekend.

(Slightly off-topic: Because Judas is black in the movie, I thought Murray Head was black for a long time.  I mean, you can't always tell by just a voice, but he "sounds" black on the JCS soundtrack.  That's not meant to be racist, just an observation.)

I thought the same thing. Not racist at all. You get an image in your head and sometimes it sticks.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
I just watched a lot of the new one again... it was just so damn...silly!

I couldn't take it seriously.  I mean look here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnErvJbov6I&feature=channel
Sure, it's quite amusing, but the whole thing seems like a parody of the original, what with the extreme overacting from EVERY character.
And Pilate is just plain weird.  And the Calaphis (however the name is spelled) draws out all his singing really annoyingly.  Judas just comes off whining when he tries to be emotional.  Jesus isn't as bad but doesn't come close to Neely or Balsamo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUvK_WzV54I&feature=channel
What the hell is this even suppose to be?

There are also way to many camera angles and effects going on...

Offline masterthes

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »
When I saw the revival, the guy who plays Simon Zealotes in the movie played Judas on the stage. I wish they'd have him play the role in the movie

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
I prefer the newer version.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
The original album is pretty fun listen. I love Ian Gillan and the Mary Magdalene singer. Carl Anderson seems to be a better Judas though.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
I went through a huge Deep purple phase when I heard JCS for the first time. Easily my favorite rock opera.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
Just digging up an old thread because.....

I listen to the studio version 1-2x a year (always on Easter weekend).  This year, we both listened to it on Friday, and as we have done the past 15 years, watched the movie on Easter Sunday night.

This year, I had thoughts of 'The Astonishing' running through my head at times.  Why?  Well, there were similarities in various tracks (Simon Zealotes and 'Kings Herod's Song' to name a couple).  Also, because I believe TA could/should have been done on one disc, or at least been cut down by 20 minutes or so. 

And.....the drums and cymbals sounded soooo much better than TA (sadly).  Which is a shame, considering MM's skills.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
Yeah, there's that one part which definitely evoked "King Herod's Song" for me. The way it suddenly got a bit whimsical.  I can't remember where it is right now, but I know that part you're talking about.

"Modern production" bugs me, with all the compression and the emphasis on making things sound so super-clean and super-tight that there's no air, no space.  The percussion is usually the worst victim, too, with everything sounding practically muffled or muted or something.  Cymbals should be crashing in your head, and you can hear what he's doing, but it's just not coming through.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »
"He'll surrender on his own; if not, there'll be hell to pay" is the part in Three Days that sounds a lot like Herod's song.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 09:37:25 PM »
Just digging up an old thread because.....

Because Ted, Barry Dennen, and Yvonne are still as awesome as they were 40+ years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVvPp-64QGc
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
Anyone watch this on TV last weekend? I didn't but see a lot of clips are up on YT. Thoughts?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »
Just posted this in the Alice Cooper thread.

Totally forgot it was on last night. :facepalm:

Found this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk9JZYSmmdw

Classic Alice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 07:41:44 PM »
I saved this thread in my 'favorites' last night, just haven't had a chance to discuss.  Most of the show was good to great to excellent.  A couple of real downers as well (like the audience).  More later...
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
Wow Alice! And after some research I had no idea he previously sang that part on another recording. So not as unexpected as it was for me. Why'd he have to carry a mic though, it doesn't seem like anyone else did.

After watching some more, it seems like the right and proper care went in to the production and performances. Have only seen a couple songs, but nothing impressed me enough to invest a lot more time in to it, other than for curiousity's sake.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »
Bummer.  JCS is one of my favorite "musicals" (originally they called it a Rock Opera) and of course Alice Cooper is The Man, so I would've loved to check this out.  But I don't watch much TV and always skip commercials, so I had no idea it was on.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »
I thought it was quite good.  Too many commercials though but that's part of deal with network tv.  I thought the vocals were little bit low in the mix, especially John Legend for some reason.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
I didn't either, but it looks like most of it is up on YT. You should check it out.

More thoughts while trying not to compare the performances to the original 1970 album or 1973 film, which are both ingrained in my head. Simon Zealots' part was pretty cool. Pilate was alright, same with Mary. Judas was fine, though I felt he lacked the power (I can't think of a good descriptor) that Murray Head and Carl Anderson brought to the part. And comparing anyone to Ian Gillan or Ted Neeley in the role of Jesus is just unfair. That said, I am finding Jesus one of the weaker parts of this.

I cannot comment on the production as a whole because I am watching it piecemeal.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
Watched parts of it and liked most of it but John Legend as Jesus is beyond awful, based on Gethsemane. I wouldn't mind a soulful version without the screams/highest notes, but his singing sounds subpar as well. A perfect example of a talented singer put on the wrong song.

In relation to this thread, last year I saw a production starring Neeley and I had a great time. My favourite version is the 1973 film version and it was great seeing him take on the role as an old man and he did an impressive, charismatic job. That cast did a good job emulating the 1973 version as well.

In terms of versions I also like a lot; the 1992 Australian cast, the 1996 London cast (also with Alice Cooper!), and offcourse the original. And the 2000 film is one of the worst things to ever happen in music, that to me is the Batman and Robin of music.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:49:50 PM by ErHaO »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »
This is a very respected friend's comments yesterday.  Thought I'd post it because it is so well written:

This my overall impression of what is probably my favorite and Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice collaboration, and the first one with which I became familiar because my sister gave me the brown "concept album" for the rock opera for Christmas when I was about 10 years old, and I think I have the purple album, too.

John Legend as Jesus: Vocals were great, and showed even more versatility than I remember from seeing him live in concert. I like him, but he's a singer, not an actor. Gethsemane (I Only Want To Say) was almost unmemorable for me. It should have been HUGE. My reaction is no doubt because of expectations set by Ian Gillan's, Ted Neeley's (the only other one I've seen live), and Glenn Carter's performances which all get me right in the feels, but this one didn't. Legend's acting improved as the performance unfolded, and he was nearly perfect at the end.

Brandon Victor DIxon as Judas: He. Stole. The. Show. Stole it fair and square by sheer talent. Wow. He is in Hamilton. He's a triple threat. Loved him. He's from Gaithersburg! (That's in Maryland, about 45 minutes from where I live.)

Sara Bareilles as Mary M: She has a lovely voice. I expected she would look a little less pure. Maybe some tattoos and/or piercings/or at least some bangle-y jewelry. I suppose the bright color of her scarf was supposed to do the job of those things.

Alice Cooper as Herod: Fun performance. Did the job he was hired to do, but he came off as Alice Cooper and not necessarily King Herod. Would love to have seen him in a top hat, but maybe that is too much of his own stage character where he sports the tails and top hat, and cane as he comes down the steps in his own show. Maybe he could have been better. Did he sing into a hand-held mic just so he could do the mic drop at the end? It must have been a live mic because they had someone catch it, otherwise he could have dropped a prop/dead mic. With two free hands he could have jazzed up his performance a bit.

The Musicians: They did a great job.

The Set: Really liked it.

The Cameras/Live Production: I have a little experience running a camera and floor managing live TV broadcasts, which was stressful, but I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to do something on this scale. The production was nothing short of amazing.

What I didn't like was the camera telling me what to look at, but when it's on TV you are watching it through the eyes of the camera that is live.

The Commercials: The commercials tore down everything the actors and the production built up. Especially toward the end. They couldn't have found a sponsor or sponsors to underwrite the production and had a less-interrupted program? Really? It was JC Superstar the weekend of Easter AND Passover fer cryin' out loud. There was an-almost-captive, ham or lamb-stuffed audience--sitting around, recovering from the Easter meals on Sunday. Introduce the show with "brought to you, or underwritten by X, Y, and Z", have an intermission (you know, like in a Broadway show?!) with commercials for X, Y, and Z, and close out the production with "brought to you by X, Y, and Z."

The Main Cast: Of course NBC thought big names were needed to play the main roles to attract a TV audience and they went with famous singers for most Jesus, Mary, and Herod, but here's a little secret: there are a lot of truly great Broadway performers right there in New York City who can act, sing, and dance, as proven by Brandon Victor Dixon. And they need the work.

The Live Audience: Ugh. Why, why, why must some individuals in theatre audiences over applaud the entrances, telegraph spoilers of one kind of another, and generally make themselves known by doing so? We get it. You love your favorites. So, wait by the stage door after the show and tell them, and stop interfering with the performance.

The Ending: Everyone knows how this story ends, but what they did with the ending, WOW! It was awe inspiring. I sat there, agape, not breathing until the break. Beautifully executed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
Interesting comment re: being a singer not an actor. I couldn't say I've ever heard anything of John Legend's. But nothing he did here impressed me. But that could have been a function of his overall performance more than his singing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »
This is a very respected friend's comments yesterday.  Thought I'd post it because it is so well written:

Alice Cooper as Herod: Fun performance. Did the job he was hired to do, but he came off as Alice Cooper and not necessarily King Herod. Would love to have seen him in a top hat, but maybe that is too much of his own stage character where he sports the tails and top hat, and cane as he comes down the steps in his own show. Maybe he could have been better. Did he sing into a hand-held mic just so he could do the mic drop at the end? It must have been a live mic because they had someone catch it, otherwise he could have dropped a prop/dead mic. With two free hands he could have jazzed up his performance a bit.

I think when you cast Alice Cooper, you kind of know what you're getting. I've only seen the King Herod's song.

*Did he do anything else beside that??* (I didn't watch the show)

While he is certainly limited vocally, I'm happy he stayed very much in control.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »
King Herod only has one song, and the character is portrayed as a bit of a flamboyant showman, which of course makes the casting perfect.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
When Alice started the 'Hey.......aren't.... you.....scared of me, Christ' part, I got goose bumps.  He had the anger, the snarl, the camp....and if there is one performer you are supposed to be afraid of, it's Alice Cooper. 

Offline Pettor

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »
As a Swede, is there any way I can watch a stream of the concert?

Really love a lot of the reincarnations of JCS but the movie version still gets me the most. Sadly the quality is very mediocre but Carl Andersson, what a performance! He makes pure gold of every note he takes!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 04:40:36 AM »
I would assume it will be available on digital video platforms over here in a while, as most of the other live musicals from NBC is available on apples and microsofts platforms. But other than that - no, theres no legal way to stream it right now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
I posted this in the pictures thread but no one said anything (so fuck all of you, with proper lubrication and protection of course) so I'll post it here, too.

Tim and Steve T (acoustic guitars); Amy (flute); Addy (Steve and Amy's daughter), legs visible as she sits on Amy's lap; Michael (violin); Steve S (piano); Baptismal Font; Easter Lilies; Orbert (sax) not realizing how ridiculously far he is from everyone else, but whatever.

Flute starts things solo, playing "I Don't Know How to Love Him".  Joined by violin, they continue as a duet, then the guitars come in, one strumming, one picking.  Piano comes in, adding "bass" and filling things up, sax finally comes in ("I never thought I'd come to this!") and from there, things ebb and flow, instruments come and go.  "Hosanna" is next, once again with the sax used for contrast since it's naturally a bit louder; "Tell that rabble to be quiet" is sax and piano, with the flute and violin on the descending chromatic.  I started it in E instead of G so that "...the rocks and stones themselves will start to sing:" goes right into the big "Jesus Christ! Superstar!" fanfare in E.  Big, bombastic moment, harmonies get pretty crazy, pipe organ finally comes in, big ending, thunderous applause (well, about as thunderous as you get in my little church on Easter Morning).

But it was really a pretty cool arrangement that I'm rather proud of.  No recordings, just the one picture.  You had to be there.

Michael went up and edited the slide, adding my name and credit for the arrangement.  I was bummed.  I never want that; I prefer to let the music and the arrangement speak for itself.