Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 104567 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #630 on: September 30, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Timo's voice tends to make or break the band for a lot of people. I'd go listen to songs like Father Time, Black Diamond, and Speed of Light to see what you think. Those are three of their biggest hits so you'll get an idea really fast if you'll like them or not.
Just listened to Black Diamond, I thought the vocals sounded great!  Sounds like a band worth exploring their catalogue.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
Bump! Very late replying to this. That's a hell of a collection gaz  :biggrin:

Check out the artwork for the newly announced 'Enigma: Intermission II" album. Releases September 28th. Gorgeous art as always! I wonder if 'Until The End of Days' will be on this? I hope so, it would make it feel more complete (the idea of only having UTEOD stuck on a greatest hits collection just irks me, rather than a disc full of bonus/rare material).

And apparently we're getting a brand new 'real/main' studio album next year. They keep on keepin' on :)

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: July 31, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
I wonder what will be on this one.  Definite purchase.  Wonderful artwork.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #633 on: August 01, 2018, 06:17:51 AM »

The band says 3 new songs, 4 orchestral versions, and some rare bonus material.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: August 01, 2018, 06:34:37 AM »

I kind of don't like new songs on compilations like this, kind of like what Kattoelox said with UTEOD just feels wrong on the greatest hits.  I always feel new material needs to have a home on an album.  This is somewhat much more acceptable for new songs, and I guess 3 new songs would get fans much more interested than just orchestral and bonus stuff that they could mostly get already.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: August 01, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »

I kind of don't like new songs on compilations like this, kind of like what Kattoelox said with UTEOD just feels wrong on the greatest hits.  I always feel new material needs to have a home on an album.  This is somewhat much more acceptable for new songs, and I guess 3 new songs would get fans much more interested than just orchestral and bonus stuff that they could mostly get already.

I agree, although for me personally, it gets a pass for two big reasons: it's under the Intermission label, and we're still getting a new album next year anyway. Since the first Intermission was covers, unreleased tracks and bonus tracks, I think it works well. TBH I've been thinking for years about what a potential second Intermission would look like, bundling all the bonus tracks from the last 4 albums + demos/unreleased songs, so this is awesome to me.  :biggrin: I do hope UTEOD is thrown in here too, however.

I'm crossing my fingers for the next studio album. They haven't had one dud since Matias gave new life to the band, but Shine In The Dark on the last album doesn't sit quite well with me. The chorus melody is awkward and should've been a Cain's Offering track, but that's the most negative I can be about that album, which says a lot. Hope #5 continues the magic.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #636 on: August 01, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
Intermission was a nice compilation of rare and unusual stuff and some songs were actually pretty good and not at all leftovers. Miles above the mandatory "bonus disc with instrumental versions" that is so in vogue today.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #637 on: August 01, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »
Some of the post Intermission bonus tracks have already been re-issued on the Elements 4 disc compilation set.
The rest would almost be a double CD set with many live, demo's and Japan bonus tracks from the 7 albums released since Intermission.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: August 01, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »

I agree, although for me personally, it gets a pass for two big reasons: it's under the Intermission label, and we're still getting a new album next year anyway. Since the first Intermission was covers, unreleased tracks and bonus tracks, I think it works well. TBH I've been thinking for years about what a potential second Intermission would look like, bundling all the bonus tracks from the last 4 albums + demos/unreleased songs, so this is awesome to me.  :biggrin: I do hope UTEOD is thrown in here too, however.

I'm crossing my fingers for the next studio album. They haven't had one dud since Matias gave new life to the band, but Shine In The Dark on the last album doesn't sit quite well with me. The chorus melody is awkward and should've been a Cain's Offering track, but that's the most negative I can be about that album, which says a lot. Hope #5 continues the magic.

Elysium is my fav Mattias album, but Eternal is almost just as good.  Brilliant album.  Looking forward to the next one.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #639 on: August 02, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
For me Nemesis is clearly the best one of the Matias-era.. I don't get tired of listen to it.. So energy, powah!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: August 02, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »
Nemesis in my opinion has some of the best moments of post-Tolkkivarius, no contest. They introduce a lot of new elements that work very well, I think, while retaining that poppier side of their sound and just polishing the hell out of it. Unbreakable and Halcyon Days are good examples of them sticking to their sound while adding new elements. Fantasy and Abandon are straight to the point anthems. Castles In The Air has that lovely fusion influence especially in the solo, and the riff and chorus are killer. There are three oddball tracks that don't do as much for me - One Must Fall, Stand My Ground, and Out of the Fog - but they're still good. I think it's one of the darker Stratovarius albums, possibly the darkest.

Eternal on the other hand almost shimmers with happiness and positivity. My Eternal Dream is one of the best songs they've done since the late 90s and is better than most power metal bands' entire catalogs. Shine in the Dark, again, is a bit too Cain's Offering for me at times (I love CO, but mainly the super fast songs, not the ones like this) but I still like it. Lost Without A Trace almost sounds like it could've been an Elysium track.

Great bonus songs on both by the way. Fireborn, Giants, man this band just kills it every time.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #641 on: August 02, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »
Nemesis for me too, very strong album and some killer bonus tracks, the Japan ones were far too good to be just for that market.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #642 on: August 02, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
Out of the Fog is an awesome track!   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
Out of the Fog is an awesome track!   :metal

Album art tends to impact how I envision songs. Nemesis has this very 'orange' flavor to it, a lot of the imagery to me reminds me of spring/summer storms in the evening when the sun comes out after it rains and everything's got this orange/greenish vibe. Out of the Fog really makes me feel that way, kind of a dirty orange feeling. Just played part of it, it's a great song. :2metal:

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #644 on: August 02, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
Nemesis is easily my favorite album of theirs.  While Elysium is my favorite song of theirs, the rest of that album isn't as strong.

I was pretty underwhelmed with Eternal, never really got into it while the album before it was a masterpiece to me.  I still listen to the closing song "The Lost Saga" regularly, but not much of the rest of the album.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #645 on: August 04, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
Nemesis is easily my favorite album of theirs.  While Elysium is my favorite song of theirs, the rest of that album isn't as strong.

I was pretty underwhelmed with Eternal, never really got into it while the album before it was a masterpiece to me.  I still listen to the closing song "The Lost Saga" regularly, but not much of the rest of the album.

Agreed 100%, as long as we're talking about Matias-era, and not the whole Strato's discography..

My favorite Strato power metal album still is Episode, and my fav song Season of Change.. But Nemesis the album and Elysium the song are up there in their respective tops 5 without a doubt..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: August 04, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »

Agreed 100%, as long as we're talking about Matias-era, and not the whole Strato's discography..

My favorite Strato power metal album still is Episode, and my fav song Season of Change.. But Nemesis the album and Elysium the song are up there in their respective tops 5 without a doubt..

Great pick. Episode is my favorite metal album of all time, and my #2 album of all time from any musician out there. Season of Change is just... whew. Man. Those lyrics at the end make me feel ways.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #647 on: August 07, 2018, 04:24:25 PM »
 :metal :heart

Offline Grappler

« Reply #648 on: August 08, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »
Episode is great, but my favorite has always been Visions.  It was the first Stratovarius record that I'd ever purchased and one of the first power metal albums that I had ever owned.  From the intro of Kiss of Judas (still my favorite song of theirs), it's just classic song after classic song. 

I still play the crap out of that record, 20 years after getting it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: August 08, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
I hear footsteps closing in...

:2metal:

Visions is such an amazing record, I don't fault anyone who has it as their favorite. I could take or leave Before the Winter and The Abyss of Your Eyes but they're still good songs, it's just that the rest of them are so high tier power metal. Black Diamond pretty much changed my life, no exaggeration; when I heard that as a kid, it was game over. Went down the power metal road after that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: August 10, 2018, 06:01:00 AM »
From Facebook:

The new album "Enigma: Intermission II" will be out on 28.09.2018
Preorder now ► https://stratovarius.lnk.to/EnigmaIntermissionIIPR
Track list:
1. Enigma (BRAND NEW STUDIO SONG - recorded 2018)
2. Hunter†
3. Hallowed††
4. Burn Me Down (BRAND NEW STUDIO SONG - recorded 2018)
5. Last Shore††
6. Kill It With Fire*
7. Oblivion (BRAND NEW STUDIO SONG - recorded 2018)
8. Second Sight*
9. Fireborn†
10. Giants*
11. Castaway*
12. Old Man And The Sea††
BRAND NEW ORCHESTRAL VERSIONS (all recorded 2018)
13. Fantasy
14. Shine in the Dark
15. Unbreakable
16. Winter Skies
*previously unreleased in Europe
†rare bonus track
†† rare bonus track – for the first time on CD

The official song stream video for “Oblivion” is now available on earMUSIC’s official YouTube Channel: ► https://youtu.be/WYph9C5lTqQ
“Oblivion” is also available to stream and download:
https://stratovarius.lnk.to/OblivionPR

Me being obsessed, I've already heard all the bonus tracks, but it's nice to finally have confirmation they'll all be together. Fireborn and Giants together? :2metal: Stoked as heck for those orchestral versions - I bet Fantasy and Winter Skies are just magical. September will be an awesome month!

Oblivion both does and doesn't sound like Stratovarius - it sounds like the modern era for sure. Can't wait to hear Enigma and Burn Me Down :)

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #651 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
 :o

Can't wait to listen to this!!..

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: August 12, 2018, 03:45:03 AM »
A few of those songs I haven't heard so with the new tracks, looks like a solid release.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #653 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtSjxL2hvQ4

<< “Unbreakable (Orchestral Version)”, the second song from Stratovarius’ upcoming release “ENIGMA: Intermission 2”, sees its premiere today. Accompanied by a lyric video, it is the first time fans are able to hear a Stratovarius classic in orchestral style. With the album version being one of most streamed songs in the band’s history, the inventive orchestral version highlights the band’s talent for epic melodies and fine harmonies. >>

:metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:11 PM »
Man, Timo sounds good there. The orchestra is beautiful too. Wow, this is good stuff.  :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: September 28, 2018, 05:48:13 AM »
Listening to Enigma now. Oh, man, are these orchestral versions tasty. Wow. They did such a good job with these. Kind of sad they chose Shine In The Dark from Eternal instead of another song, and they chose 2 Nemesis songs instead of including 1 from Elysium, but still. Fantasy is so damn good. The bonus tracks of course are great, the 1-2 combo of Fireborn and Giants is great stuff.

Gonna pick this up on vinyl too because it's such gorgeous artwork.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #656 on: September 28, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
Today's the day!.. Can't wait to hear it.. :caffeine:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #657 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:29 PM »
Bump
Started following Tolkki on Facebook, he posts some interesting stuff and replies to a few comments.
He is up and down with his (sometimes crazy/unusual) comments and mood, I would hazard a guess it's to do with his medication.

Anyway I started to catch up with all the Avalon albums and other Tolkki releases I have passed over the last few years.
But I had to go back to his golden years with Stratovarius first, Destiny sounds great, love the production and great sounds on this album.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #658 on: July 07, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
I can't tell, but am I the only one who really likes the Elements albums?

Obviously a few of the songs are pretty bad, and they could have used some autotune here and there, but a lot of the albums, i think, are fantastic. Some of the early Strato stuff all sounds way too similar to me, and Elements was a nice break.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: July 07, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
I could go on and on about Elements. Overall they're great power metal albums that occasionally go into some extremely cheesy waters even for me and Tolkki pushed Kotipelto to his absolute limits but hell just look at my signature, it's a quote from Find Your Own Voice, I love the vocal melodies and lyrics on these. Incredible songs on those records. Not in my top favorites by the band but it's close for sure. Most of the songs are classics.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #660 on: July 07, 2019, 09:17:38 PM »
Yes I am also very fond of both Elements albums, though I do think they could have been trimmed down to a single album 12 or so absolute killer songs.
The 2014 reissue with both Elements albums in 5.1 is also very nice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: July 07, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
The Elements albums are also pretty widely respected in the Strato catalogue from all I've discerned throughout the years online. Not a unanimous favorite but definitely up there and highly praised. They don't get talked about enough these days imo. I think the Tolkki drama debacle of '03-04 kinda overshadowed those albums in the long run.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #662 on: July 07, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
One thing about those albums and many others, was Tolkki's production, they sound so good sonically TT was a very underrated producer.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: July 07, 2019, 09:29:52 PM »
One thing about those albums and many others, was Tolkki's production, they sound so good sonically TT was a very underrated producer.

Completely agree gaz. He gave some insight into his production methods years ago when he released a book called Loneliness of a Thousand Years (kind of a bizarre read honestly; his story behind Black Diamond is somehow both obvious and kind of baffling). I was especially interested in how he was able to create such an enormous drum sound in the 90s starting with Episode, which involved actually using some drum samples mixed in with the real drums. The sound of the drums on those late 90s Strato albums up through the Elements albums is probably my favorite drum sound ever. But also everything else still has plenty of room to breathe, and everything hits you like a hammer. Songs like Fantasia and Elements really stand out that way.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: July 07, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »
I can't tell, but am I the only one who really likes the Elements albums?

Obviously a few of the songs are pretty bad, and they could have used some autotune here and there, but a lot of the albums, i think, are fantastic. Some of the early Strato stuff all sounds way too similar to me, and Elements was a nice break.

For a long time, Elements Part 1 was my favourite Strato album.  Not sure about now though.