Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 104563 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #595 on: November 28, 2016, 04:26:24 AM »
Cool report man.  Interesting they didn't play the album in order.  I'm also one of those that question playing a full Tolkki era album without him since their new stuff is strong enough, but it's a classic album under the Strato name I suppose.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #596 on: November 28, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »
 :omg:

Wow.. Surprised and glad they're playing what I think is Strato's best album to date (And I say "to date" because I feel they can do now with a more mature Matias a better album than that masterpiece)..

I just noticed they played with Tarja earlier this year too!... She sung with Timo in the song Forever, precisely a song from Episode.. :laugh:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: November 29, 2016, 12:20:07 AM »
Cool to see they played the whole album. It's usually tied with Visions as my favourite Stratovarius album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28:38 AM »
Like most Strato albums of that era I love the songs where they slow down from the double kick marathons and show some real power.    Eternity and Uncertainty are among my favourite power metal songs from that time.

I have a soft spot for my first Strato album (Fourth Dimension) but Episode is right up there with their best.  Cool to see them doing this IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #599 on: November 29, 2016, 04:03:03 AM »
Cool report man.  Interesting they didn't play the album in order.  I'm also one of those that question playing a full Tolkki era album without him since their new stuff is strong enough, but it's a classic album under the Strato name I suppose.
When I realized they were not doing the album in the correct order I thought it was pretty lame, but at least they nailed all the songs, so it was justified. Looks like they didn't play Visions from start to finish either: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stratovarius/2014/lutakko-jyvaskyla-finland-7bcca674.html
Like most Strato albums of that era I love the songs where they slow down from the double kick marathons and show some real power.    Eternity and Uncertainty are among my favourite power metal songs from that time.
Yeah, now that I don't really listen to power metal anymore, I find myself appreciating the slower songs a lot more.

I have no idea if there are gonna be more Episode shows in other countries - maybe they were testing the waters with this mini-tour? On the other hand, the Visions tour 2 years ago was pretty short too, and now that 2016 is coming to an end, the 20th anniversary gimmick wouldn't work next year.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #600 on: August 09, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »
Never listened to them. I decided why not buy the live album Visions of Europe, which I like doing to hear them live better than a studio. Anyways, that was a fantastic idea.

These guys are pretty great. Forever is a lovely ballad(for some reason I've been getting into lately).

Too bad it didn't have a DVD of the show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »
Never listened to them. I decided why not buy the live album Visions of Europe, which I like doing to hear them live better than a studio. Anyways, that was a fantastic idea.

These guys are pretty great. Forever is a lovely ballad(for some reason I've been getting into lately).

Too bad it didn't have a DVD of the show.

That's great!.. And yes, it'd be awesome if they would've film those shows because they're indeed amazing..

Small coincidence, because my brother and I were just yesterday listening to some studio songs of Visions and remembering how we actually first got to know that album through VoE.. We would always listen to that live album instead of searching for the studio versions, and when we finally did it they sounded all too cold and like robotic in some way.. Specially due to the sound effects, added vocals and slower tempo.. A very logical thing to happen I guess..

Still, an excellent album and excellent band.. You have a lot to listen and enjoy of them yet.. :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #602 on: September 20, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
I got bored and forced myself to rank every album from my favorite band. EDIT: I picked 2 songs per album because 1 was just too hard  :biggrin: Best to worst least favorite album:

1. Episode (Father Time / When the Night Meets the Day)
2. Visions (Black Diamond / Paradise)
3. Eternal (My Eternal Dream / Man In The Mirror)
4. Destiny (4000 Rainy Nights / S.O.S.)
5. Infinite (Phoenix / Hunting High and Low)
6. Nemesis (Castles In The Air / Halcyon Days)
7. Elysium (Elysium / Move the Mountain)
8. Elements Part 1 (Find Your Own Voice / Learning To Fly)
9. Elements Part 2 (I'm Still Alive / I Walk To My Own Song)
10. Polaris (Forever Is Today / When Mountains Fall)
11. Fourth Dimension (Against the Wind / Distant Skies)
12. Twilight Time (Out of the Shadows / The Hands of Time)
13. Stratovarius (Fight!!! / Maniac Dance)
14. Dreamspace (Eyes of the World / Chasing Shadows)
15. Fright Night (Night Screamer / Fire Dance)

I don't often listen to the last 5 on the list, just choice songs, but I still like them - even Fright Night in all its strange, low production quality majesty. Also just need Fright Night to complete my collection of their (studio) recordings but I don't really feel like paying more than a few dollars for it - it's an extremely rare but poorly produced and frankly forgettable album, much as I find it charming I don't want to pay much for it.

https://s26.postimg.org/gwas51tzr/21743441_10214180094999303_123694225672959997_o.jpg

EDIT: lol, okay, I think I got it all right now :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:26:16 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #603 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
I'm very surprised that Polaris and Fourth dimension are below the Elements albums. But it's also nice to see the new era Stratovarius being ranked fairly high.

I've never heard the first three albums. I still don't know if it's worth it.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #604 on: September 21, 2017, 02:15:08 AM »
Destiny is their forgotten gem for me. Their best? no, but it has that melanchonic and brooding atmosphere that's perfect and that was not present on any of the other albums.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #605 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »
I do not know every Stratovarius album, but definitly Infinite is my favourite from which I've heard. Does Stratovarius even exist? It's been quite a silence from them as far as I know...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: September 21, 2017, 07:25:16 AM »
Stratovarius are very quiet guys. Eternal's announcement pretty much came at the last minute. Hell, they're so laid back Timo Kotipelto had to come out and clarify that yes, he thinks Eternal is a great album, because he was interviewed a few weeks prior to its release and didn't want to overhype things so he just said something along the lines of, "Yeah it's a cool album"  :lol They're extremely reserved, believe it or not...

I'm very surprised that Polaris and Fourth dimension are below the Elements albums. But it's also nice to see the new era Stratovarius being ranked fairly high.

I've never heard the first three albums. I still don't know if it's worth it.  :lol

I had a hard time figuring out where to place those but honestly those two pairs of albums could've easily been switched with one another. I actually think the string of albums from Polaris to Eternal can just about go toe to toe with the run from Episode to Infinite. Maybe not as many classics, but a lot more variety and perfect execution of ideas. Also Elysium is the single best song they've ever written imo, and Move the Mountain is the best ballad (right behind 4000 Rainy Nights, and yes, ahead of Forever).

I highly suggest you at least go get Twilight Time. Out of the Shadows is one of the best songs the band's ever done, I think, the melody just brings a tear to my eye quite often. Tolkki's voice isn't trained so it has lots of flaws and isn't for everyone but lots of people love TT and Dreamspace. The debut is pretty forgettable, not really worth checking out unless you're a diehard fan at this point, or just really curious.

Love this band to death.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
I usually go back and revisit their stuff when a new album gets released, so I might actually finally check out the first three once some news about an upcoming release roll into town. Elysium is also my favorite Stratovarius song overall, and yes, the streak of the last four albums is truly impressive.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: September 21, 2017, 05:46:27 PM »
I usually go back and revisit their stuff when a new album gets released, so I might actually finally check out the first three once some news about an upcoming release roll into town. Elysium is also my favorite Stratovarius song overall, and yes, the streak of the last four albums is truly impressive.

I apologize for not reading through the 18 pages of the thread so far, but what do you think of the albums since their comeback? Nemesis was a bit experimental but in a great way, I think - Castles In The Air and Halcyon Days are awesome, love that fusion/jazzy vibe to Castles and the electronic stuff in Halcyon. I'm not sure if anybody else here is as crazy fanatical about this band so forgive me if I'm a bit excited to talk to people about it. Living in a rural area in the USA, it's very rare I get to nerd about Stratovarius outside of their Facebook. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: September 21, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Elements Pt1 was actually always my fav for years.  I'm not sure if it still would be though.

Destiny is their forgotten gem for me. Their best? no, but it has that melanchonic and brooding atmosphere that's perfect and that was not present on any of the other albums.

Agree.  This actually crept up on me about a year ago.  I never realised how brilliant it is until then, but it's made its way into my top 3 I'd say.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2017, 11:55:02 PM »
I apologize for not reading through the 18 pages of the thread so far, but what do you think of the albums since their comeback?
I thought Polaris was great back in the day, but then they surpassed it with Elysium. My mind was blown with that album, I might even go out on a limb to call it my favorite album by the band. Nemesis had some great songs and I did enjoy its experimental nature and electronic influences, but there are several songs I didn't care for that drag the album down. Eternal was consistently good but with only a few tracks that really excited me - Feeding the fire was certainly a highlight for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: September 22, 2017, 06:25:02 AM »

I apologize for not reading through the 18 pages of the thread so far, but what do you think of the albums since their comeback? Nemesis was a bit experimental but in a great way, I think - Castles In The Air and Halcyon Days are awesome, love that fusion/jazzy vibe to Castles and the electronic stuff in Halcyon. I'm not sure if anybody else here is as crazy fanatical about this band so forgive me if I'm a bit excited to talk to people about it. Living in a rural area in the USA, it's very rare I get to nerd about Stratovarius outside of their Facebook. :)

Elysium and Eternal are amazing and could both be top 5.  Polaris and Nemesis are hit and miss for me.  I never got the love for Nemesis on a whole but there is some amazing tunes on there.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
The run of Episode, Visions (!!!), Destiny and Infinite is incredible.  After that, these guys fell off my radar.  The Elements albums weren't my thing at all and I never cared for the self titled and Tolkki's meltdown.  By the time Polaris came out, I wasn't listening to much power metal.

I did buy Nemesis a few years ago after hearing a few songs and really like that album.  But they'll never come close to reaching Visions in my mind - that album was one of my first power metal albums that I got back in the late 90's, and every single song is awesome.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2017, 07:14:42 AM »
The run from Episode to Infinite really is incredible. Even though Tolkki kind of ripped off his own songs many times, they still turned out to be classics. And Jorg's drum sound, especially on Infinite, is HUGE!! I've never heard a more massive drum sound - particularly on the song Infinity. I would love to hear that blasted on a high end system. Will have to settle for my soundbar at home. :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
I often forget that streak consists of four albums. They're so similar that they kind of blend together for me.  ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: September 24, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »
Tolkki does reference a lot of previous songs on successive albums, unintentionally or not, I'm not sure, but it's there. Just last night I was listening to Elements (the song) for the first time in a long time and there is a good chunk of it that sounds exactly like Mother Gaia on Infinite. Forever Free on Visions seems like a copy of Tomorrow from Episode. There are quite a few others. Not that it's a bad thing, but it definitely becomes apparent after a while

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »
Tolkki does reference a lot of previous songs on successive albums, unintentionally or not, I'm not sure, but it's there. Just last night I was listening to Elements (the song) for the first time in a long time and there is a good chunk of it that sounds exactly like Mother Gaia on Infinite. Forever Free on Visions seems like a copy of Tomorrow from Episode. There are quite a few others. Not that it's a bad thing, but it definitely becomes apparent after a while

They are everywhere.  For instance, I'm Still Alive is another copy of Forever Free and there's plenty more, over his other projects too.

Listen to the track Revolution Renaissance and then listen to Soul of A Vagabond and try not to laugh your ass off.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
I'm not familiar with this band. Where's a good place to start as far as albums? Also, do they have any live concert releases??  That's what sold me on Nightwish, their Vehicle of Spirit dvd's. Awesome!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »
I'm not familiar with this band. Where's a good place to start as far as albums? Also, do they have any live concert releases??  That's what sold me on Nightwish, their Vehicle of Spirit dvd's. Awesome!

Go straight for the classic albums, universally acclaimed by fans of the band: Visions, and Episode. If you're in for something more introspective, moody and melanchonic, check Destiny as well.

A live album that captures well the energy of the golden era is Visions of Europe, the sound is very bombastic on this one!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #619 on: September 27, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
Visions was my first album as well and remains my favorite.

Not sure if they have a live DVD (I think they do, from more recent times), but MirrorMask is right.  The live album from the Visions tour is fantastic, and a good live "hits" package of their classic era (minus the two albums that came afterwards - Destiny and Infinite).

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #620 on: September 27, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
My first album from Stratovarius was Infinite, ans I think it's a good start if You want to get into the band. No fillers, great melodies, very solid album...well, maybe Celestial Dream is not so awesome ;) but it's a last song on Infinte so You don't have to listen to it ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: September 27, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
For a first album, you can't go wrong with either Episode or Visions, by far the two most acclaimed albums amongst fans. Destiny is also an excellent starting place. Those three albums are essentially the holy trinity of Stratovarius's discography.

Personally, I say check Episode first, then Visions, then Destiny - chronologically, that's 1996, 1997, and 1998, so one for each year. You'll hear quite a few of their hits just on Episode and even more on Visions, and several on Destiny.

Infinite is also a great album to start with although it is certainly derivative of the three albums mentioned above, which came before Infinite. But it's still an amazing album with lots of great songs (Phoenix, Hunting High and Low are two of their biggest songs).

Enjoy, I hope you like them!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: September 27, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
Visions was my first album as well and remains my favorite.

Not sure if they have a live DVD (I think they do, from more recent times), but MirrorMask is right.  The live album from the Visions tour is fantastic, and a good live "hits" package of their classic era (minus the two albums that came afterwards - Destiny and Infinite).

Yeah, Infinite Visions is a pretty good release. There's a live DVD from several years ago but because it's so many years removed from their biggest hits, Timo's voice isn't all that great (my opinion) and it's not a good place to start with...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #623 on: September 27, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm always on the lookout for new music to listen to. I've fallen behind on so much good stuff.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: September 27, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
Timo's voice tends to make or break the band for a lot of people. I'd go listen to songs like Father Time, Black Diamond, and Speed of Light to see what you think. Those are three of their biggest hits so you'll get an idea really fast if you'll like them or not.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #625 on: September 28, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »
https://s26.postimg.org/gwas51tzr/21743441_10214180094999303_123694225672959997_o.jpg

Wow, that's awesome!.. Congrats..

I think I only have the only one that it's not there: Intermission.. The album is often not counted as a regular studio album (well, is actually a special album) since it has a few covers and a live song, BUT the album actually has 7 original songs and other 4 already released as bonus tracks in previous albums... and between them are two of my very favorites, Will My Soul Ever Rest in Peace? and The Curtains are Falling.. Not need to mention the underrated these songs and the whole album are..

PS: what's the album between "Stratovarius" and "Polaris"?..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: September 28, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »

Wow, that's awesome!.. Congrats..

I think I only have the only one that it's not there: Intermission.. The album is often not counted as a regular studio album (well, is actually a special album) since it has a few covers and a live song, BUT the album actually has 7 original songs and other 4 already released as bonus tracks in previous albums... and between them are two of my very favorites, Will My Soul Ever Rest in Peace? and The Curtains are Falling.. Not need to mention the underrated these songs and the whole album are..

PS: what's the album between "Stratovarius" and "Polaris"?..

Thank you! I'm envious of you for having Intermission, it's one I've always wanted but have always put off in favor of buying, well, other albums ;) I also need to get the Elements reissues, and last year's Best Of release, and the new remasters, and the other live albums, and...

The one between the self-titled and Polaris in the bottom left is the original digipak release of Polaris. I got the other, more visible copy from a friend who didn't enjoy it. The digipak is really shiny though and I couldn't get a decent shot of it no matter how I tried. That particular copy actually went through a huge car wreck in 2009 about 1 week after meeting the band, and skips on over half the songs, so I'm glad my friend gave me the other copy :) Just can't bear to part with it though. It smelled like gasoline for a couple years...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #627 on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »
Here's my collection, the two Elements have bonus discs of demo's. Infinite has a bonus disc of 2 songs and extra booklet and stickers.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: September 29, 2017, 06:34:31 AM »
Hey gazinwales - can't see the photos. I wanna see the collection! :)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #629 on: September 29, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »