Author Topic: Within Temptation thread  (Read 81005 times)

Offline PROGress

Re: Within Temptation thread v. THE NEW ALBUM IS OUT!!!
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
During our fifth show of 'PROGress on Radio Monashh'  we were lucky enough to interview Ruud Jolie from Within Temptation about his new solo project, 'ForAllWeKnow'. We discussed the creation of the album, the incredible musicians playing with him on the album, what it's like to release an album independently as well as the breif tour he has planned in support of the album. We also featured one of the songs from the 'ForAllWeKnow' album called 'Busy Being Somebody Else'.

You can find the link to the show and inteview here: https://soundcloud.com/progress-on-radio-monash/show-5-progress-on-radio

Thanks and enjoy the interview!
PROGress on Radio Monash - Australian Progressive Rock Radio Show!

Our facebook page (Please 'like' us!) : https://www.facebook.com/pages/PROGress-on-Radio-Monash/207258219287615
Our SoundCloud page (where we upload the weekly shows): https://soundcloud.com/progress-on-radio-monash

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »
So I've listened to the whole album now minus the bonus tracks. And while the album is very good, it feels a bit too.....poppy for me, if that makes sense. Murder is the one dark song on the entire CD, and maybe it works only in contrast, but I was hoping for some more diversity or experimentation, but a lot of the songs kind of sound samey and there's a bit too much..........I dunno, electro popness to them? If that makes sense.

Still a good album though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
So I've listened to the whole album now minus the bonus tracks. And while the album is very good, it feels a bit too.....poppy for me, if that makes sense. Murder is the one dark song on the entire CD, and maybe it works only in contrast, but I was hoping for some more diversity or experimentation, but a lot of the songs kind of sound samey and there's a bit too much..........I dunno, electro popness to them? If that makes sense.

Still a good album though.

A few more listens and this is about how I feel. Still will get rotation from me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
Listening to the album again for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it's still so good!

And Iron is still my favourite. Great anthemic choruses and absolutely epic bridge/solo section!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
Bumping this thread because I've been listening to a lot of Within Temptation in the past few days. Great, great band, and Sharon is sexy as hell. :heart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
Great, great band, and Sharon is sexy as hell. :heart

Both of those points are correct, but I won't tell you which one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
What.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
The new album simply put has had no staying power with me. The poppy songs were nice but the luster wore off quick, whereas the less poppy ones never really grew on me after a number of listens.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »
I think I only like Faster. :(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
With an album like this, I usually expect at least a mix of two things:

1. Straight forward, poppy-metal songs.
2. Longer, more symphony or proggy metal songs.

The Unforgiving has the first category down, but in the second arena it just not deliver. It does have some kind of nifty concept, I haven't really gotten too deeply in that but, from what I have heard just listening to the record and watching the videos, the story hasn't been executed particularly well. Like Trail of Dead's new record, there's something going on here but they took the easy way out and, instead of telling a story through an album, they made an album themed around a story presumably to come.

Now, the extras are all nice. They give you a lot of bang for your buck and the production (both sonically and materially) is great. It's just a shame all that seems to be compensating to make (what feels to me like a very shallow album) appear deeper.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »
It does have some kind of nifty concept, I haven't really gotten too deeply in that but, from what I have heard just listening to the record and watching the videos, the story hasn't been executed particularly well. Like Trail of Dead's new record, there's something going on here but they took the easy way out and, instead of telling a story through an album, they made an album themed around a story presumably to come.

Now, the extras are all nice. They give you a lot of bang for your buck and the production (both sonically and materially) is great. It's just a shame all that seems to be compensating to make (what feels to me like a very shallow album) appear deeper.

I'm not sure the album fails in that regard.  Maybe I'm just giving the band too much credit, but I think it is intended to be a "multimedia experience" where the album intentionally doesn't tell the whole story, and you have to see the prequel videos and read the comics to get it.  I wouldn't necessarily call that "taking the easy way out" if that's what is intended.  It certainly isn't the traditional way of doing a concept album.  It's an experiment in doing something different.  Not sure whether or not we can call the experiment a success or not, but I think it's a bit unfair to write it off as simply taking the easy way out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
@PC, like what PT did with Deadwing.

I want to get this but no funds makes it pretty difficult
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
I heard the single so I gave this band a shot and got the new album...

I def. made the right decision. I love the symphonies and the female vocals. Production is great and there are some epic chorus' in many of the songs. There is not really a single weak track in my opinion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »
There is not really a single weak track in my opinion.

That is a great point.  This album may not have as many huge highs as some of their previous, but it's as consistent an album as you could possibly ask for.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
Yeah that's definitely its main selling point for me. I still prefer The Heart of Everything overall because the highs are REALLY high, but the new one is a little more consistent.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
Man, Murder is such a good song.  Was just listening to this album for the first time in a little while (so much good music this year!), and was again impressed by how good this is.

Anyone following them closely enough to know why they STILL apparently have no plans to come to the U.S. in the forseeable future?  Incredibly frustrating.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
Anyone following them closely enough to know why they STILL apparently have no plans to come to the U.S. in the forseeable future?  Incredibly frustrating.

Still nothing, and they're pretty booked through summer of this year.  :(  I don't understand how a band this big could not tour the U.S. at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »

Still nothing, and they're pretty booked through summer of this year.  :(  I don't understand how a band this big could not tour the U.S. at all.

Still this.  I am sad.  :sadpanda:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
Not sure if this is the "official" WT thread but ....

“Paradise (What About Us?)”  will be released as an EP, containing four new songs.

In addition to Paradise (What About Us?), the EP will contain demo versions of three brand new songs:
“Let Us Burn”, “Silver Moonlight” and “Dog Days”.

By releasing these demos we want to invite you in our home studio and show how we capture song ideas at an early stage of creating a new album. These demo versions are far from their final sound on the album, but will give you a hint of what we’re working on.  It will be fascinating to hear how the end result will sound like, once the album is released.

We hope to make the waiting time for the new album a little shorter and sweeter with this release. It’s so exciting to share the different stages of our music with you. Stay tuned for more important news on the EP.

The EP Paradise (What About Us?), will be released on Friday September 27th world wide and on October 1st in North America.

Something is better than nothing I suppose.

Bosk... perhaps changing the thread title?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »

Still this.  I am sad.  :sadpanda:

Because the US sucks....people don't appreciate music here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
Fuck music. More Miley Cirus plox.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
I picked up The Unforgiving a few months ago (after watching an AMV of A Demons Fate) and love it.  It's one of my most listened to albums this year.  So I picked up Mother Earth to give it another shot (I had previously checked it out and wasn't impressed then).  I've come to this conclusion: While the music is good, I prefer Sharon's rock vocals more than her symphonic vocals.  There are some cool vocal moments on ME, but for the most part I don't really care for them.  Maybe because it lacks power (she does seem to stick to falsetto a lot) or too low in the mix.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
I picked up The Unforgiving a few months ago (after watching an AMV of A Demons Fate) and love it.  It's one of my most listened to albums this year.  So I picked up Mother Earth to give it another shot (I had previously checked it out and wasn't impressed then).  I've come to this conclusion: While the music is good, I prefer Sharon's rock vocals more than her symphonic vocals.  There are some cool vocal moments on ME, but for the most part I don't really care for them.  Maybe because it lacks power (she does seem to stick to falsetto a lot) or too low in the mix.

Agreed.  Her symphonic range just feels thin and weak.  She's no Tarja or Floor in that regard.  Feels the same on The Black Symphony too.  Nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't make me cringe or anything... but it is a little underwhelming.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
I like her vocals either way. Neverending Story is the song that made me instantly fall in love with the band, so that stands for something. And I think they've had some really stellar rock songs on Mother Earth and The Silent Force. All in all, I think their whole discography is very consistently really good. There's rarely a song that feels like a filler, IMO.

And yeah, the thread title caught me off guard. Needs to be changed.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Yummy. Did not get my full attention as I am at work, but sounded good to my ears.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Yummy. Did not get my full attention as I am at work, but sounded good to my ears.

And eyes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

Agreed.  Her symphonic range just feels thin and weak.  She's no Tarja or Floor in that regard.  Feels the same on The Black Symphony too.  Nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't make me cringe or anything... but it is a little underwhelming.

I've been a fan of WT for a long time, but I do share your sentiments.  I always felt Sharon's power was a bit on the thin side.  While I think her vocals are a bit underwhelming and I think Tarja's are sometimes overwhelming, Simone is where I find my happy medium.  :heart

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
Not bad.  I'm so frustrated with this band.  But who am I kidding?  I'll still buy anything they put out.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »

I've been a fan of WT for a long time, but I do share your sentiments.  I always felt Sharon's power was a bit on the thin side.  While I think her vocals are a bit underwhelming and I think Tarja's are sometimes overwhelming, Simone is where I find my happy medium.  :heart
Sharon's style is completely different, and perfectly fitting for the music WT are making, which is much more poppy than bands like Epica or Nightwish.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
Not bad.  I'm so frustrated with this band.  But who am I kidding?  I'll still buy anything they put out.

I know how you feel. There are some bands I don't feel attached to at all. I buy their stuff, I listen to it regularly, but I don't follow them like other bands. I wouldn't get any info about them if it weren't for this forum. Some bands I connect well with, like DT and their recent google hangout chat. I know all about their releases, their tours, their favorite colors.... and bands like WT I just listen to their music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »

Sharon's style is completely different, and perfectly fitting for the music WT are making, which is much more poppy than bands like Epica or Nightwish.

She's fits better, this is true.  I'm just speaking of her voice in general. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2013, 04:45:11 PM »
In a general sense, yeah I definitely agree. I think a part of why I love WT's most recent albums but am less excited by their earlier stuff is that they write to suit her voice much better. The style of Mother Earth called for something more powerful/operatic vocally and she's just not the singer to do that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
In a general sense, yeah I definitely agree. I think a part of why I love WT's most recent albums but am less excited by their earlier stuff is that they write to suit her voice much better. The style of Mother Earth called for something more powerful/operatic vocally and she's just not the singer to do that.

I hear that too, especially when listening to some of the Mother Earth tracks live.  It seems she is struggling to get it to where it needs to be.  On an album like Enter, I think Simone or someone with a more powerful voice would have suited that music better.  However, listening to a track like Faster or Sinead, Sharon fits it perfectly.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
I like how she sounds on Mother Earth. Very "pretty". As for the new song... Eh, I don't know. Only listened once, but... Have I heard it before?