Poll

Your favorite band is playing; Do you prefer a small venue or a big venue?

Big Venues
5 (12.8%)
Small Venues
23 (59%)
Kevin Moore
11 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Small Venues vs. Big Venues  (Read 12936 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Small Venues vs. Big Venues
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »
The other day, Lateralus and I were talking about the differences between a big and a small venue, and I thought it would be interestiong to see what DTF think of the subject! :tup

By small venue, I mean really small, like 50 persons max. In general, you are really close to the band and you get a feeling of intimacy too. But on the other hand; the sound can be pretty bad, the show can be delayed, etc.

By big venue, I'm thinking big arenas, places like that. The venue is full of fans and the sound is incredible, but you're just one fan among all the others there.

Personnaly, after the Unexpect show sunday, I came to the conclusion that I enjoyed more the smaller venues (they played a tiny bar) because it's a more memorable experience all around (talking to the band, the proximity, etc.) So what about you? :)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Small Venues vs. Big Venues
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »
Hmm...large crowds have a really cool feel to them, and usually have better facilities for sound.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:11 AM »
Big venues:
Have a great atmosphere.
there isnt much cooler than a large crowd going nuts at the same time

Small venues:
Cozy, drinks are cheaper ;D
nice feeling of intimacy.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
I've never been to a good music venue that only has 50 people.  I'd say 500-1000 people theaters are pretty freaking cool.

But there is something to be said about a really well known band with a great back catalog playing epic songs in front of 50,000 people and you are one of them.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
The majority of concerts i've been to have been in theater size places, no more than 500 people. Thats where all the less known bands play like kamelot, pt, all that remains etc. The only way we get shows in the big places is if it's a festival or real well known bands.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
I think your entire thesis is wrong considering I've been at small venues that worked incredibly well and have had great sound, and I've seen shows at large venues that have had absolutely horrible sound.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »
I think your entire thesis is wrong considering I've been at small venues that worked incredibly well and have had great sound, and I've seen shows at large venues that have had absolutely horrible sound.

I wrote that because of my personnal experiences in both, I haven't been to 500 shows in my life. Just consider the number of people/proximity with the band if you want. I just thought that the acoustics were better in genreral in large arenas, that's all. And it's not really a thesis, it's just the pros ans cons of both from, again, my personnal experience.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
Yeah the sound quality has very little to do with the venue size in my experience and more to do with the sound team and equipment.

Anyway, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Small venues are more intimate, big venues are more epic. I wouldn't say either is better, they're just different.

So I picked Kevin Moore.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Small venues are more intimate, big venues are more epic.

I guess that's what I wanted to say in the OP...

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
There are a lot of bands that I am not a huge fan of, but enjoy enough songs that I will see them live. Those bands are the ones I like to see at big venues, usually ones with a lawn. If it is a band I really love to see live, like DT, I prefer to see them in a small venue. I have seen DT at Jones Beach, Radio City, The Meadows (CT large venue, lawn was closed), The Palladium, and The Oakdale (small CT venue). The Oakdale, which is the smallest, is the best place to see them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »
I'd go small venues.  Makes you feel you get more for your money.  Cause I'm in Austalia anyway, most bands that come here play a small venue anyway, (besides Maiden and DT)  I like it better, I think you get a better connection with the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
I voted small venues, I like them more but there are some big venue shows that are epic.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »
Anyway, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Small venues are more intimate, big venues are more epic. I wouldn't say either is better, they're just different.

So I picked Kevin Moore.

This exactly.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »
I consider "Small" a club. "Big" is anything theater sized and up. I like to get as close as possible to a performer. The intimate nature of those events are unparalleled.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Small venues for almost everything. The only exception would be bands that have a major 'epic' visual component, like Tool or Pink Floyd.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »
i'd go with mid sized venues. i don't like going to msg because it's way too big and if the drummer and the sound don't match, that's annoying. i don't like small venues because their sound is usually terrible, i'm there to hear the music.

nokia, t5, hammerstein, those are my ideal spots.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
I'd go with small.  It's just more intimate.  Though, the 2 best sounding concerts I've ever been to were stadiums.  Pink Floyd and Steely Dan.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LTE

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »
I would rather go see a show at a small venue, but I love listening to cds or watching concerts of huge shows (Rush in Rio, etc)
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
I would rather go see a show at a small venue, but I love listening to cds or watching concerts of huge shows (Rush in Rio, etc)

For the most part, this
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
According to your definitions, I much prefer bigger venues. For instance, singing the chorus to "Run To The Hills" with 19,999 other people, belting the intro scream to "Angel Of Death" with 9,999 other people, and getting the chills and singing "Comfortably Numb" with 16,999 other people can't be recreated... those are some of my favorite concert moments ever. Period.

Offline LTE

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
Lol at kevin moore beating small venues.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.