Author Topic: Bands that tell stories over the course of their discography  (Read 8068 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Bands that tell stories over the course of their discography
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
The Final Cut is sort of an extension of various themes from The Wall, albeit a mediocre one. :biggrin:
I know I'm gonna get raged at for this, but here we go...

*sigh*

Final Cut > The Wall

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Maybe. But they still shouldn't ruin that relationship, buddy.
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
Marilyn Manson had a three album run (Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood) that told a story in reverse. They're also easily his three best albums.
That Arrested Development reference made my smile in my pants.

I'm glad.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Online The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
I have quite a few Ayreon albums, I never knew they were all connected.  I should research that.

The connections of some a are quite arbitrary, though. Like the only way THE is connected is by the terrible ending.

You didn't like that ending.  I thought it was quite good myself, but I understand were you are coming from if you think it's abrupt and a twist that should never have happened.

Wait... so you're saying your version cuts out at the end?! :neverusethis:

Seriously though, I love the Ayreon albums - great stuff, very operatic and Broadway-like with the use of multiple vocalists as a cast of sorts. Arjen always puts out great work!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 08:10:04 PM »
Sonata Arctica - End of This Chapter, Don't Say a Word, Caleb

I'm pretty sure that "Juliet" from the latest album added on to the story, but it's nowhere near as fucking awesomely :2metal: as Caleb is.

stalker songs are pretty cool

Yeah, I know it's never been fully clear on the songs involved.

Also, to a lesser extent I forgot about the 'wolf' songs from SA; Wolf and Raven, Full Moon, Ain't Your Fairytale, The Cage and It Won't Fade.

Riverside - Reality Dream trilogy (1st three albums)

Megadeth - Hangar 18 > Return to Hangar

Dream Theater - Metropolis > Scenes From A Memory

Can't believe I forgot these, especially Riverside.

Iron Maiden - Charlotte the Harlot, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hooks in You, From Here to Eternity

Oh, I didn't know that FHtE was part of that "saga" :birch:

Pretty loosely, but it has the line "the beast and charlotte they were two of a kind." So it's pretty fitting.

I have quite a few Ayreon albums, I never knew they were all connected.  I should research that.

The connections of some a are quite arbitrary, though. Like the only way THE is connected is by the terrible ending.

You didn't like that ending.  I thought it was quite good myself, but I understand were you are coming from if you think it's abrupt and a twist that should never have happened.

Wait... so you're saying your version cuts out at the end?! :neverusethis:

Seriously though, I love the Ayreon albums - great stuff, very operatic and Broadway-like with the use of multiple vocalists as a cast of sorts. Arjen always puts out great work!

-Marc.

:facepalm:  Yes, Arjen is an amazing underrated musician.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ehra

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I've never listened to them, but a recent thread suggested that ICP does this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »
When I listen to SA's The Cage, I picture an old man in a cage begging to be set free all the while fantasizing about being free. I haven't read the lyrics, but where does the wolf come in?

Offline thecrowing

• DTF's Resident Child of the Fence
  • Help me Cosmia; I'm grieving!
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
The Final Cut is sort of an extension of various themes from The Wall, albeit a mediocre one. :biggrin:

*sigh*

Final Cut > The Wall
If The Wall didn't get me through middle school, I would so agree with this.

EDIT: ...w- wait a minute..
The Final Cut is sort of an extension of various themes from The Wall
Uhhhh...
No.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
EDIT: ...w- wait a minute..
The Final Cut is sort of an extension of various themes from The Wall
Uhhhh...
No.

Uhhh...
Yes.

You do know that quite a bit of The Final Cut were songs that were deemed not good enough for The Wall, right?

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 01:05:12 AM »
Iron Maiden - Charlotte the Harlot, 22 Acacia Avenue, Hooks in You, From Here to Eternity

Pretty loosely, but it has the line "the beast and charlotte they were two of a kind." So it's pretty fitting.

Also Hooks in You, which is loosely tied as well.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 02:09:04 AM »
Coheed and Cambria
The Dear Hunter
Kaddisfly
The River Empires
The Gloomcatcher
Janelle Monáe

Neverending White Lights
Orphaned Land
Queensryche (O:M -> O:M II)
Shadow Gallery (Tyranny -> Room V)
Soundscape

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 04:24:52 AM »

Yes, hence why I listed it in my original post.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 04:32:23 AM »
When I listen to SA's The Cage, I picture an old man in a cage begging to be set free all the while fantasizing about being free. I haven't read the lyrics, but where does the wolf come in?

It's cleary the wolf song on the album, and seems to be about caged animals.  The chorus gives it away;

The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night,
go around and see another side of the tree.
Freedom has a meaning for me, howl with me.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 04:46:22 AM »
Rush - Fear - The Enemy Within, The Weapon, Witch Hunt, Freeze

I'm not sure you could call "Fear" a "story" in the sense of being a narrative. It's more thematic, in the same way songs on Roll The Bones are about luck and chance, or songs on Counterparts are about opposites and pairings. They're just songs about Neil's ideas regarding fear and different kinds of fear - "how fear works inside us ("The Enemy Within"), how fear is used against us ("The Weapon"), and how fear feeds the mob mentality ("Witch Hunt")." - Neil Peart.

When you said "tell stories", I assumed you meant a narrative, so I would agree with "Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage" and "Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres". I would also add, to some extent, "By-Tor & The Snowdog" and "The Necromancer", as both songs feature "By-Tor".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 04:53:43 AM »

I'm not sure you could call "Fear" a "story" in the sense of being a narrative. It's more thematic, in the same way songs on Roll The Bones are about luck and chance, or songs on Counterparts are about opposites and pairings. They're just songs about Neil's ideas regarding fear and different kinds of fear - "how fear works inside us ("The Enemy Within"), how fear is used against us ("The Weapon"), and how fear feeds the mob mentality ("Witch Hunt")." - Neil Peart.

When you said "tell stories", I assumed you meant a narrative, so I would agree with "Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage" and "Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres". I would also add, to some extent, "By-Tor & The Snowdog" and "The Necromancer", as both songs feature "By-Tor".

-Marc.

Fair call, maybe I said telling stories, but I like this idea too with Fear and wanted to include it in the thread, but didn't know how to put it in words.

Just connecting pieces from album to album maybe the best way to put it.  I like when bands can have something that connect their work together, no matter how big or small.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 05:10:03 AM »
Oh, didn't know he says howl with me. I guess there's no reason an old man should be howling.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 05:14:12 AM »
Oh, didn't know he says howl with me. I guess there's no reason an old man should be howling.

:lol

I think the song could easily be portrayed into a human concept, there's a few metaphors that could do that IMO. (But it's mainly about wolves  :tup )

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2010, 05:42:25 AM »
Although Arjen is pretty amazing, sometimes I can't stand the cheesiness in some of his songs. I really can't point out, but there really are moments. I kinda stopped his discography for a while.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

I think the song could easily be portrayed into a human concept, there's a few metaphors that could do that IMO. (But it's mainly about wolves  :tup )

Then I guess it should be mentioned for the thread that Sonata Arctica, alongside having a song for every album as part of the "stalker story", has one song per album that is themed around wolves. I don't think it follows a story, though.

I think The Last Amazing Grays is the best wolf song they've done.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2010, 08:56:13 AM »
Edge of Sanity : Crimson -> Crimson II

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »
How did I forget Crimson through Crimson II?  :facepalm:

I have betrayed my Swano fanboyism  :sadpanda:

Online The Letter M

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »

-Marc.

Fair call, maybe I said telling stories, but I like this idea too with Fear and wanted to include it in the thread, but didn't know how to put it in words.

Just connecting pieces from album to album maybe the best way to put it.  I like when bands can have something that connect their work together, no matter how big or small.

That's true. I do like the idea of connecting albums via songs with concepts or themes that tie them together.

Did anyone here mention "Larks' Tongues In Aspic", King Crimson's instrumentals? I like to think that The Power To Belive's "Level Five" is the fifth "Lark's Tongues In Aspic", given the title begins with an "L" and has "Five" in it, which would follow the sequence since Part IV was on the band's previous album, The ConstruKction Of Light.

-Marc.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »
Don't think it's a story as much of a theme, but Exodus has the Exhibits.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
I'm not really a huge fan of the idea, just seems to kind of appeal to 14 year olds that purvey the Hot Topic for merchandise.
Fail Post of 2010 confirmed

I just don't really see the appeal in some plot line that would barely make a good B-movie spread across 6 albums for an entire decade. I feel the same way about Metropolis Pt. 2, as far as stories are concerned that story is really uninteresting and just kind of thrown together. Seems to be a way for bands to say, "hey, you know we worked really hard on this because it tells a whole story, so you have to listen to the whole thing." Brings back memories of Middle School when we were all flipping out about songs that were longer than 10 minutes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
How did I forget Crimson through Crimson II?  :facepalm:

I have betrayed my Swano fanboyism  :sadpanda:

How could I forget 2 of the best pieces of metal ever!!  :facepalm:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

Then I guess it should be mentioned for the thread that Sonata Arctica, alongside having a song for every album as part of the "stalker story", has one song per album that is themed around wolves. I don't think it follows a story, though.

I think The Last Amazing Grays is the best wolf song they've done.

Yes, I mentioed that before.

Sonata Arctica - End of This Chapter, Don't Say a Word, Caleb

I'm pretty sure that "Juliet" from the latest album added on to the story, but it's nowhere near as fucking awesomely :2metal: as Caleb is.

stalker songs are pretty cool

Yeah, I know it's never been fully clear on the songs involved.

Also, to a lesser extent I forgot about the 'wolf' songs from SA; Wolf and Raven, Full Moon, Ain't Your Fairytale, The Cage and It Won't Fade.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
I'm not really a huge fan of the idea, just seems to kind of appeal to 14 year olds that purvey the Hot Topic for merchandise.

I just don't really see the appeal in some plot line that would barely make a good B-movie spread across 6 albums for an entire decade. I feel the same way about Metropolis Pt. 2, as far as stories are concerned that story is really uninteresting and just kind of thrown together. Seems to be a way for bands to say, "hey, you know we worked really hard on this because it tells a whole story, so you have to listen to the whole thing." Brings back memories of Middle School when we were all flipping out about songs that were longer than 10 minutes.

heh?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »

And this somehow equates to concept albums only appealing to people who have an affinity for Hot Topic apparel?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
The Hold Steady kind of have something like this going on. They have one concept album out there titled Separation Sunday (fantastic album, a personal favourite of mine) and then if I remember correctly, there are references to characters and such mixed between some older and maybe newer material. I think.

Seriously, Separation Sunday is cool beans. Listen to it.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »

:facepalm: Whoops. I was drunk, sorry
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2010, 01:04:35 AM »

:facepalm: Whoops. I was drunk, sorry

Nothing wrong with that my friend!

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 01:51:41 AM »
Oh, also Rhapsody. All of their albums are one big story.

A lame story, but still a story.

I think you have to appreciate Lord of the Rings and Dungeons & Dragons to get into them. I'm not a LotR fan, but I love D&D, so Rhapsody is good to me when game time comes.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:47 AM »
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 02:13:28 AM »
Neverending White Lights

Really?

Act 1: Goodbye Friends of the Heavenly Bodies
Act 2: The Blood and the Life Eternal
Act 3: Love Will Ruin

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »

*sigh*

Final Cut > The Wall
*Rages LieLowTheWantedMan*

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »
Not really a story, but Redemption has the songs, Sapphire, Memory and Love Kills Us All/Life In One Day which are all about the same thing: a fucking bitch.