Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 172432 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Hobbit greenlit!
« Reply #980 on: July 28, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
Next up will be his 10-film series for The Silmarillion   ::)

Score by Blind Guardian?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #981 on: July 28, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »

Score by Blind Guardian?

He's stated before that would have LOVED to reference that and Unfinished Taless in this  story...but he doesn't have the rights. That's why Gandolf can't remember the names of two of the wizards. ....because they're only mentioned in a book they can't make any mention of.

It's quite maddening,  actually.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #982 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03:34 PM »
I would... kind of be okay with this. Seeing Ungoliant, Glaurung, Thangorordrim, Fingolfin vs Morgoth, the fall of Gondolin, Turin, and Sauron getting punked by every other douchebag in Beleriand would be worth a few more comic-relief dwarfs and needless CGI-fests.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, Chris Tolkien won't sell, but... a man can dream.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #983 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:40 PM »
I would love to see Iluvatar's creation of the world through music, and Melkor/Morgoth's subsequent anger issues toward it.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #984 on: July 29, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »
:iagree:  Not in a terrible way though.  I mean, it takes a certain skill to get a 8-hour trilogy out of a 320-ish page novel.  That's an hour for every 40 pages.   :lol
Well, most (but not all) of it comes from the LOTR appendices, so that's a lot more genuine Tolkien writing contributing than just in The Hobbit itself.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

« Reply #985 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
Well, most some (but not all) of it comes from the LOTR appendices, so that's a lot more genuine Tolkien writing contributing than just in The Hobbit itself.
FIFY ;)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #986 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
I just saw a quote attributed to "Sir Peter Jackson." I had no idea he was knighted.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #987 on: July 30, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
In 2010 apparently.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #989 on: October 23, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #990 on: October 23, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
:caffeine:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #991 on: October 23, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DTF.org Member

Offline jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #997 on: October 23, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
Meh. It will probably be good, but the combination of no trailer yet and the movie dropping soon as well as the first two not being LOTR-level of fantastic, I'm only casually excited about this. I didn't see any of the first two Hobbit movies at the cinema, and after seeing them at home many months later, I didn't regret not seeing them at the cinema either.

The first Hobbit was good, the second one was great, and the third one will hopefully be great too, but this poster doesn't really get me more excited or anything.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #998 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »
Thorin's really got that Aragorn look down.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #999 on: October 23, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
I dunno.  I'll see it, and I'll like it, but I will also likely be disappointed by it.  I liked the first one a lot.  I liked the second one a lot, but was honestly disppointed by (1) the adventures of Legolas and his g/f in Rivendell, along with the orc pursuit into Rivendell, and (2) the battle with Smaug the Inept-at-catching-dwarves.  Jackson & co. made some absolutely brilliant calls in telling the story in the LOTR trilogy.  IMO, every single place they deviated from the books absolutely 100% worked.  In the Hobbit trilogy, some of his deviations from the book just leave me feeling like the trilogy has jumped the shark.  And I do NOT mean the decision to include and eloborate on material from the appendices, the focus on the Battle of Five Armies as the climax (including the backstory), and more of a conscious effort to integrate the Hobbit trilogy into the LOTR movie trilogy.  All that is fine.  Even Legolas being part of the story is fine with me.  It stands to reason that he would have been around for these events despite not being mentioned in the book, so that all works.  It is just the over-the-top nature of how events like the two I mentioned above are portrayed.  It makes the story just silly rather than a story where I can suspend belief and immerse myself in as I could with the LOTR films.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1000 on: October 23, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
^ I've only seen the first one, but there were definitely moments in it that just felt too silly to me. Notably the dwarves cleaning Bilbo's kitchen, and whatever the hell they did with Radagast.

LOTR had funny stuff, but it never felt silly, in my opinion. And I'm not saying The Hobbit was bad, I definitely enjoyed it, I just think it could have been better.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1001 on: October 23, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
I dunno.  I'll see it, and I'll like it, but I will also likely be disappointed by it.
Probably this.

IMO, every single place they deviated from the books absolutely 100% worked.
Can't say I agree with that though

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1002 on: October 23, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
I presume you're referring to the absence of your namesake?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1003 on: October 23, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
Actually, I think having The Hobbit be more generally "light-hearted" is going to make the six film story arc flow better.   The first three films are a nice, adventurous romp that serves as a set-up for the "serious ***"   :xbones

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1004 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
I have no problem with lighthearted.  But "lighthearted" and "ridiculous" are not the same thing.  The fight with Smaug was ridiculous. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1005 on: October 23, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
.  The fight with Smaug was ridiculous.

Yeah, that was just a bit over the top.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1006 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »
A giant talking dragon is over the top. All of your complaints about a fantasy movie are over the top.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1007 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
I presume you're referring to the absence of your namesake?
Actually not really. I'm ok that they left out ol tommy bomber. For the most part, the changes they made in the first and second movie were acceptable, but the third movie is by far the worst, whereas IMO, the third book is by far the best, so it's mostly the changes in that one that I don't like.

Staying with the thread, I totally agree about the Smaug scene and the Legolas scene. They were completely ridiculous, and the latter only increased my disdain for Legolas.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1008 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
^ I've only seen the first one, but there were definitely moments in it that just felt too silly to me. Notably the dwarves cleaning Bilbo's kitchen, and whatever the hell they did with Radagast.

LOTR had funny stuff, but it never felt silly, in my opinion. And I'm not saying The Hobbit was bad, I definitely enjoyed it, I just think it could have been better.

I agree with all of this and add the obnoxious escape from the goblins to the list. All I could think while I was watching that scene is how much better the escape from Moria was.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1009 on: October 24, 2014, 06:33:13 AM »
The goblins scene in the first and the barrel scene in the second are just stupid, and all of the CGI goblins are disappointing, when so many of the orcs in the LOTR trilogy were practical.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1010 on: October 24, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »
I agree with most of the critisms:
- CGI orcs were disappointing
- Terrible romance is terrible
- Smaug hide-and-seek scene was weird
- Legolas inclusion wasn't that well made

And it's so disappointing to me because there's so much about these movies that I really enjoy. It just feels like wasted potential. I really think this could have been another LOTR-level of awesomeness.

But I won't be all negative, I enjoyed the first two movies and will likely enjoy this one as well. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1011 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:49 AM »
:iagree:

Though, I found the Smaug battle scene even more laughable than the hide-and-seek.  At least the hide/seek was somewhat properly represented from the book.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1012 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Have to say, most of those things don't bother me in the slightest - the only thing I find a bit disappointing is the CGI monsters, and I agree with hef that the goblins, orcs and uruk hai in LOTR are so much more convincing.

On the whole I really like the Hobbit films so far, but there is a gulf between them and LOTR, and I don't find any of those criticisms bother me. I just think the story lacks the depth that LOTR has. I think Jackson has been doing a great job of expanding it, using the LOTR appendices and generally tying it into that story more, but ultimately I think it's just not as strong a story.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1013 on: October 24, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
With LOTR, everything just felt connected in a perfect way. With Hobbit, you can tell they stretched the material and incorporated stuff from other books that weren't necessarily related. Take the whole Necromancer-plotline for example. While I like those scenes, they really stick out in the movies. You go from a pretty relaxed and fun atmosphere with the dwarves and a hobbit going on this one adventure to fight a dragon, to Gandalf talking about Sauron and "the end of the world". I can understand that they want it to segue into Fellowship of the Ring, but it results in the tone being all over the place.

« Reply #1014 on: October 24, 2014, 07:10:52 PM »
I'm interested in seeing how PJ takes 3-1/2 hours to cover the final 60 pages of the book finishes the story, but my expectations have been thoroughly lowered by the first two movies.