Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 172644 times)

Offline Summers

Re: The Hobbit greenlit!
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »
Me?  I wasn't complaining about it, I think it's stupid as hell!  She doesn't fit the casting criteria, I mean it would be like casting a huge fat guy as Aragorn.      

I get that race is a sensitive issue, but seriously a non-white Hobbit doesn't really sit right...  Middle Earth is after all based on medieval Europe.                                                
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »
:lol No not you, I meant the woman. Typed "He" by mistake.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ehra

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
The whole thing's stupid because, apparently, no one in charge told the person handling the casting to exclude darker people. And, as the article also points out, not all Hobbits are necessarily pale white. The "browner" Hobbits probably wouldn't be found in The Shire, but this shouldn't be that much of an issue for it to be a big deal if there were some in the movie.

edit: Looks like the person responsible was fired.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:21:10 PM by ehra »

Offline ehra

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
https://www.deadline.com/2010/12/cate-blanchett-back-to-middle-earth-for-the-hobbit/

Cate Blanchett is returning as Galadriel in The Hobbit, which Peter Jackson directs in February. Jackson has also set Ken Stott (Charlie Wilson's War) to play Dwarf Lord Balin, Sylvester McCoy (Dr. Who) to play the wizard Radagast the Brown, and Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt (Day and Night) to play shape-shifter Beorn. Ryan Gage (Outlaw) will play Drogo Baggins and Jed Brophy (who appeared in the original The Lord of the Rings) will play the dwarf Nori, and William Kircher will play the dwarf Bifur.

wat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »
Guys, remember, this is not one film but two, including material that is set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.  Galadriel is most likely part of the extra material, not being rammed into the story of The Hobbit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ehra

« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2010, 04:11:58 AM »
Yeah, I keep forgetting they're doing two movies. That makes a bit more sense then I guess.

Offline ehra

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »
Potential spoilers:

Looks like chances are extremely high that Elijah Wood / Frodo will be showing up in The Hobbit.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
Potential spoilers:

Looks like chances are extremely high that Elijah Wood / Frodo will be showing up in The Hobbit.

WAT

Offline ehra

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
If the explanation for it that I read is true then it'll actually work out really well and shouldn't get any of the fanboys upset.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
Too late.

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Potential spoilers:

Well since this is two movies and the first will be The Hobbit and the second will bridge the gap between The Hobbit and LotR and Frodo is 50 years old when LotR starts, that's quite plausible.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
according to IMDB...Leonard Nimoy is rumored to be playing Smaug
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
Cool

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
Sylvester McCoy?!

AWESOME!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
Didn't that guy wrote that famous Bilbo Baggins song?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »

yep

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »

Nope, he just discoveried it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Discoveried? Is that another one of those funny British spellings?

Edit: I was reading about potential cameos. They need to be careful. The LotR actors have been elevated to such a level of fame that they need to make sure a cameo wouldn't be the highlight of the movie.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
Edit: I was reading about potential cameos. They need to be careful. The LotR actors have been elevated to such a level of fame that they need to make sure a cameo wouldn't be the highlight of the movie.

They were done pretty cleverly in the LOTR movies.  The pirate one of Jackson, you could tell it was him, but I never would have picked up on it just from watching the movie if he hadn't pointed it out in the commentary.  And the orc one...well, with all the orc makeup, there's no way you can tell.  I don't remember if there were others.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:11 AM »

They were done pretty cleverly in the LOTR movies.  The pirate one of Jackson, you could tell it was him, but I never would have picked up on it just from watching the movie if he hadn't pointed it out in the commentary.  And the orc one...well, with all the orc makeup, there's no way you can tell.  I don't remember if there were others.
I meant, more specifically, recognizable cameos. I think I read somewhere that they offered Bloom a million dollars for a two minute cameo as Legolas.

Offline ehra

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
Apparently The Hobbit is being shot at 48 FPS, and apparently this is a big deal.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
Apparently The Hobbit is being shot at 48 FPS, and apparently this is a big deal.

yeeeeeeaaaaah!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
What a terrible idea.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
according to IMDB...Leonard Nimoy is rumored to be playing Smaug
Damn, and I was so pulling for Morgan Freeman.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Won't that look funky on 120 Hz and 240 Hz televisions?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »
I'd imagine it'd be harsher to the human eye, actually. It creates a more fluid, less blurry motion which would look very unnatural to someone expecting to see a movie filmed using the standard 24fps. Not quite as extreme as the soap opera 60fps Cameron is pushing for but imagine a movie filmed using the TruMotion/MotionPlus/whatever mode your TV has to make stuff like "realistic".

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
What a terrible idea.

Yeah, then we won't get that horrible look when fast moving objects move across the screen

*glares at District 9*

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
I'd imagine it'd be harsher to the human eye, actually. It creates a more fluid, less blurry motion which would look very unnatural to someone expecting to see a movie filmed using the standard 24fps. Not quite as extreme as the soap opera 60fps Cameron is pushing for but imagine a movie filmed using the TruMotion/MotionPlus/whatever mode your TV has to make stuff like "realistic".

The TV analogy doesn't apply here.  TruMotion and those other techs insert "fake" frames between the real ones to try to make things look smoother, but when there's fast motion on screen they look like shit because the tech just isn't good enough to do it on the fly.  By shooting at 48fps rather than 24, there actually are twice as many frames per second, so it really will be smoother and will look better on screen.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
I still don't understand the point. I have never had a problem with motion blurs in movies before. In fact that kinda stuff is what gives cinema its charm.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
Could someone link me examples of things shot with different frame-rates?  Because I'm pretty sure I know I've observed the differences before, I just can't remember with what.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
https://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/apr/13/peter-jackson-hobbit-cinema-director

I'm not sure the reasoning, but it will take all new projectors to show it. I assume that Jackson wouldn't use it if it made things worse, so if the technology is there, why not?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
Well 3D makes things worse but people still film in that.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
True. I don't see them advertising this like "48 FPS ALL UP IN YOUR FACE!" though. 3D can be used as a marketing ploy, where this most people probably won't even understand.

Also, I'll side with Jackson over Cameron any day.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:58 PM »
I feel like the medium is fine as it is. It's akin to the newer generation of video games trying to incorporate motion controls. Yeah it's cool for a little bit but the fundamentals are already perfect as they were. Of course a great movie experience to me is getting into great characters, engrossed in a story, or observing masterfully framed shots.

Offline ehra

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »
No, it's akin to newer video games..... running at a higher FPS.