Author Topic: Heart appreciation thread  (Read 4324 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Heart appreciation thread
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:11:53 AM »
I suspect that many know Heart by their their 80s pop stuff and their three big classic rock classics - "Barracuda," "Crazy On You" and "Magic Man" - but they have a lot more good music than just that. 

Dreamboat Annie, which has the latter two of the aforementioned classic rock classic, is one of the best debut albums of the 70s, a decade filled with tons of great music. 

Dog and Butterfly and Little Queen are also darn good records from the 70s. 

A lot of rock fans turn their noses up at their 80s pop stuff, which I understand, but I grew up on that stuff, and still have a nostalgic love for a lot of it, especially tunes like "These Dreams," "Nothing At All," "There's the Girl" and "I Didn't Want to Need You."

Ann Wilson is easily one of the best female rock singers ever...if not THE best.

Lastly, if you like songs like "Barracuda" and "Crazy On You" at all, you have to hear "Mistral Wind," which is far and away the best they ever did, IMO. 

Anyway, let's appreciate this good band. :)

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: Heart appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:14:58 AM »
I love this band!!!
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »
From what I've heard, it's really nothing mindblowing. Maybe, like you said, I've just heard the wrong songs or something. But then again, I'm not a huge fan of straight forward rock anyway...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:31:01 AM by Gorille85 »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »
Yeah, the 80's pop stuff really blew it for me, but I do dig their older stuff. 

I heard a live version of Crazy on You a while back that was outstanding. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:57 AM »
The only song I know by them is Crazy on You but I like it a lot.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
Great band!  I remember buying Dreamboat Annie on vinyl when I was in junior high (yeah, I'm old).  Ann Wilson is one of the greatest female rock singers ever.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »
No one belts out a tune like Ann Wilson.  I got the new CD and I love it.  Thst last 2 have been great, Jupiters Darling & Red Velvet Car.  I saw them twice in the 80's with Cheap Trick & Honeymoon Suite.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
Those songs bring back a lot of memories.  I had a mean crush on Nancy Wilson back in those dayz. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Nancy is quite underrated as a guitarist, too.  That's her doing the acoustic intro to "Crazy on You" and I've seen some live videos where she ad libs a bit and really tears things up.  Plus I happen to think she's hot as hell.  Yeah, she's older.  So am I.

Ann Wilson is amazing.  She and the entire band are clearly influenced by Led Zeppelin, with Ann basically a female Robert Plant.  She's got the charisma, the guts, and the pipes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
Nancy is quite underrated as a guitarist, too.  That's her doing the acoustic intro to "Crazy on You" and I've seen some live videos where she ad libs a bit and really tears things up.  Plus I happen to think she's hot as hell.  Yeah, she's older.  So am I.

Ann Wilson is amazing.  She and the entire band are clearly influenced by Led Zeppelin, with Ann basically a female Robert Plant.  She's got the charisma, the guts, and the pipes.

Amen Orbert, amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
:heart

They're excellent.  I saw them a couple of years ago in Hershey, with Cheap Trick and Journey.  Ann STILL fucking nails it.  We were all standing around looking at each other like "Day-um!"

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
Those songs bring back a lot of memories.  I had a mean crush on Nancy Wilson back in those dayz. 

Your weren't the only one

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jsem

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
It's sad how Ann Wilson's gotten fat.. lal. Still sings gr8 and was also quite hot in the 70s

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »
Yeah, she's pretty huge now.  She was even bigger for a while and has actually lost weight recently.

I think it's just in the genetics.  You look at some actors from history, like Raymond Burr and Orson Wells... they were dashing, handsome guys who got gigantic later on. 

It's the same with women.  In the 70's, Linda Ronstadt could make guys come in their pants by just smiling at them, and she can actually be seen from orbit now.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
Ann Wilson is one of the greatest vocalists ever, male or female. Heart rules

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »
Ann is definetely one of the greatest singers of all time.  Her range and emotion was fantastic.  Great songs.

Don't forget Howard Leese, he is an excellent guitarist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 03:38:11 AM »
Fantastic band.  Pretty much their entire output (except for some crap in the early 80s) is gold.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 01:25:30 PM »
Good to see there are a lot of fans here. :coolio

Gorille85, if you want mind-blowing, find the song "Dream of the Archer" and listen to the note Ann Wilson holds at the end of the song.  Or listen to the rocking middle section of "Mistral Wind," which has vocals that still give me goosebumps.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »
someone correct me if Im wrong..but

I believe they have all the criteria to be nominated and elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame....but have so far been snubbed.

Criminal
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
Gorille85, if you want mind-blowing, find the song "Dream of the Archer" and listen to the note Ann Wilson holds at the end of the song. 
Fucking THIS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »

Lastly, if you like songs like "Barracuda" and "Crazy On You" at all, you have to hear "Mistral Wind," which is far and away the best they ever did, IMO. 

Dude, great recommendation on "Mistral Wind", that song is awesome!  Starts off with a cool mellow acoustic part then gets real heavy and even a little, dare I say it, proggy. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »
I have Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen but only have Dog & Butterfly on vinyl.  I gotta do something about that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
Gorille85, if you want mind-blowing, find the song "Dream of the Archer" and listen to the note Ann Wilson holds at the end of the song. 
Fucking THIS.

:tup :tup

Dude, great recommendation on "Mistral Wind", that song is awesome!  Starts off with a cool mellow acoustic part then gets real heavy and even a little, dare I say it, proggy. 

:tup :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »
Okay, I loaded Dog & Butterfly onto my iPod.  Gonna listen to this album for the first time in over 30 years.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
Man they were fantastic live. Cheap Trick and Heart both opened for Journey two summers ago and I went and I was absolutely blown away by how fantastic both CT and Heart were. Just absolutely matching if not exceeding their prime, I'd say.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »

Ann Wilson is amazing.  She and the entire band are clearly influenced by Led Zeppelin, with Ann basically a female Robert Plant.  She's got the charisma, the guts, and the pipes.

Have you seen their live special that was played quite a bit several months ago on TV? I think the channel was called Palladia but I'm not sure. They do a TON of zeppelin, and I was just stunned at how well they did it. I can't express my appreciation for Ann's singing and Nancy's playing - really great musicians.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »

Your weren't the only one

I tried to copy this hair.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U25nYpiXYc&feature=related

:metal

edit - this has got to be the best led zeppelin cover i have ever heard in my life.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Orbert, check out a few new songs.

WFT --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZPauP1bUE&feature=related

Red Velvet Car -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYW_wN-lx0

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
I heard a story that my high school band's music teacher played bass with Ann and Nancy in their very early days, but I could never verify it. It isn't totally outlandish, as they were from this area. He was a very short, very round man... hard to picture in a rock band.

Anyway, good collection of songs. Never owned a Heart album, but never turn them off when they come on the classic rock radio either. Black on Black II is my favorite song of theirs.

edit - this has got to be the best led zeppelin cover i have ever heard in my life.

Before clicking on the link I was thinking it would have been this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUWKji706M
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »
Man they were fantastic live. Cheap Trick and Heart both opened for Journey two summers ago and I went and I was absolutely blown away by how fantastic both CT and Heart were. Just absolutely matching if not exceeding their prime, I'd say.

I saw this tour as well, they were really great :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:26 AM »

Have you seen their live special that was played quite a bit several months ago on TV? I think the channel was called Palladia but I'm not sure. They do a TON of zeppelin, and I was just stunned at how well they did it. I can't express my appreciation for Ann's singing and Nancy's playing - really great musicians.

Yeah, I've seen a few things they've done in the past few years.  The did "Dreamboat Annie Live" or whatever they called it; just what it sounds like, the whole album done live.  I think I saw another live vid they did called "Live in Seattle".  I'm sure I saw at least one of them on Palladia, if not both.

They've always done Led Zeppelin covers.  I remember hearing them on the King Biscuit Flower Hour way back in the 70's, and they did "Rock and Roll" and "The Battle of Evermore".

I listened to "Mistral Wind" twice tonight.  Wow!  Amazing song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »

Red Velvet Car -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYW_wN-lx0

That didn't sound too bad.  I might have to investigate that new CD of theirs...

Black on Black II is my favorite song of theirs.

I remember when that song came out.  I was like, "Woah."  After years of doing the pop rock stuff, they returned to rocking out with a vengeance. :metal

I listened to "Mistral Wind" twice tonight.  Wow!  Amazing song.

Damn right. :coolio

Offline masterthes

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 11:48:58 AM »
They really need to do an album of Zep covers. I'd eat that up in a heartbeat

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
They really need to do an album of Zep covers. I'd eat that up in a heartbeat