Author Topic: Ray Alder : what Band do you like him more in?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline EstyMaJ

Ray Alder : what Band do you like him more in?
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »
I have to say i grew up listening to fates warning and just recently got into Redemption and i have have to say out of  FW , Engine and Redemption I have to pick Redemption I love the way the music flows and the way he sings in this band , the lyrics in FW seem to flow choppy to me. And i love the melodey's in Redemption much more flow to them  I dunno i really like this band alot.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:12:09 AM by EstyMaJ »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Ray Alder : what Band do you like him more in?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:12:58 AM »
I agree with your assessment.

His voice seems to have matured quite nicely.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »
I like him better in Redemption. Because I like Arch era Fates a lot better. Alder era isn't bad, but it always seemed a bit, uh, underdeveloped...?

Really, Redemption makes Alder Fates Warning look like "just some band Alder played with in high school."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
Ray-era Fates Warning beats the crap out of Redemption imo.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
Well, when I say "high school band" I don't mean on a songwriting level. I just mean that those records don't sound very good IMO. With Arch-era Fates and PS, I totally don't mind the sound because it just sounds like "classic" metal to me. But, even though there's a bunch of songs on Parallels and Inside Out that I like, those albums really should sound a helluva a lot better for when they were released. Instead, they sound neither modern nor "80's." They just sound lifeless to me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »
I prefer Ray in Fates Warning, but mostly from Parallels onward. The first couple of records with Ray (No Exit, Perfect Symmetry) are good, but he was trying too hard to stay similar to John Arch. Frankly, while I like Arch, and recognize his talent, not really a big fan of that era of Fates. As a big fan of the band, I have the three records with him, but I don't really think of Arch when I think of FW.

Redemption is awesome, but frankly, in regard to how Ray sounds, he sounds no different in Redemption then he does in FW from Parallels on. So it's all good.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
Is the FW fanbase divided at all about the vocalists? Personally, I like Arch quite a bit better, but more because of the style of the band with Arch. Not necessarily the singing. But I'm pretty clueless as to where most Fates fans stand/stood on the issue.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
I have tried for years to get into FW, but fell in love with Redemption on first listen.  the music is so tight and flows beautifully.  they are easily in my top 5 bands

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
Is the FW fanbase divided at all about the vocalists? Personally, I like Arch quite a bit better, but more because of the style of the band with Arch. Not necessarily the singing. But I'm pretty clueless as to where most Fates fans stand/stood on the issue.

I like Arch's voice.  Vocally I think he and Alder are comparable.  Musically speaking, I prefer the Alder era over the Arch era.  Even though I still enjoy the Arch albums, I think that Jim Matheos' songwriting during those early days was quite raw and undeveloped.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:16:04 AM »
My ranking:

1.  Fates Warning
2.  Engine

3.  Redemption
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
I have tried for years to get into FW, but fell in love with Redemption on first listen.  the music is so tight and flows beautifully.  they are easily in my top 5 bands
I hear hear what you mean about the flow , they were an easy i want all there catalog after first listen for me also , that doesn't happen often .

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »

I like Arch's voice.  Vocally I think he and Alder are comparable.  Musically speaking, I prefer the Alder era over the Arch era.  Even though I still enjoy the Arch albums, I think that Jim Matheos' songwriting during those early days was quite raw and undeveloped. 
I don't really care for the Arch era. As you said the songwriting is weaker, and frankly, I don't care for Arch's voice, or at least the way he was using it for Fates Warning. Too high and whiney.

As far as Ray goes, his vocals in Redemption and recent Fates Warning are pretty much the same. I wish he still had the range of his younger days, but I think he's a much more skilled singer now than when he was younger.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
Wow, this is a tough question for me.  I could go either way.  Ray sounds great with both bands.  I've been so into Redemption the last few months, so I'd pick them if forced.  But that's only cause Fates Warning hasn't made an album since 2004, and I wasn't overly thrilled with that FWX album.  So it's been a good 10 years since they made an album I loved: Disconnected.  So Redemption feels much more current and exciting to me.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
Is Engine worth checking out. What do they sound like?

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
...look at my sig and you've got the answer...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 06:16:12 AM »
Is Engine worth checking out. What do they sound like?
I would call it bordeline alternative rock /metal? its ok kinda dull IMHO