Author Topic: What Will MP Do Without DT, Really?  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Stoneyman

What Will MP Do Without DT, Really?
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
Obviously MP will finish the tour with Zakky and the boys....

And then what?

Being the mercenary drummer might be cool for a while, but I see him writhing in pain not being in DT after they move forward.  I guess we will have to wait and see, but other than joining some novelty super-group or sticking with A7X, what else do you see him doing?

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
Re: What Will MP Do Without DT, Really?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
If I were him I would go to Vito Bratta's house.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
I think most people on this board are of the opinion that his joining A7X as a full-time member is inevitable.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline TL

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
If he doesn't join A7X, he'll either do a ton of side projects, or he'll put a new band together.
I do think it's going to be difficult for him when he sees DT's 11th album on a store shelf and realizes that he had nothing to do with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »
If I were him I would go to Vito Bratta's house.
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:24:04 AM »
It seems that at some point he wil join A7X,he is already acting sorta like a member,i will be surprised if he doesn't join them.He will of course continue with his old side projects,maybe some new ones.It will be interesting though to see his reaction when the new DT album hits the shelves and when the tour begins without him..

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:59:22 AM »
This needs a separate thread?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
The man LOVES film; he has mentioned in the past wanting to be involved with film-making . . .

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
If I were on his place, I'd join Avenged Sevenfold. That is, assuming I'd, being on his place, like their music. :-)

Being Avenged Sevenfold, I'd want Mike to join me. Imagine their other option would be to look for a good replacement which would fit in and fans would accept, doing auditions, going through this painful process of integrating again...

I think the only reasonable option for Mike not staying with them is he gets bored of the music or fed up with the guys. Or they get fed up with him.

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:54:43 AM »
It seems that at some point he wil join A7X,he is already acting sorta like a member,i will be surprised if he doesn't join them.He will of course continue with his old side projects,maybe some new ones.It will be interesting though to see his reaction when the new DT album hits the shelves and when the tour begins without him..

just imagining MP's reaction of seeing DT being honored during the hall of fame ceremony is challeging enough.

there seems many embarassing moments awaiting MP in the future.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 07:45:38 AM »
Its not the real R&RHOF though.  Its some New York knockoff.  MP may still be saddened by it, but not by much, methinks.

I still don't see him joining A7X permanently.  When you're in a band, and hell, even if you're not, you typically want to be around people with the same sort of goals.  Of course they all have music, but their lifestyles are drastically different.  For example: MP has a family.  The other guys don't.  The other guys also probably drink, and maybe drugs (though the Rev's death may have changed their outlook on that).  They may not want MP around just for comfort's sake.  Finding someone as talented as the Rev, but younger, would be better for them in the long run, I think.  I suspect we'll see Mike playing on lots of different albums, tribute bands, and other supergroups.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 07:47:06 AM »
I think it's most likely that he lays low for a while playing with A7X for the time being, but not becoming a full time member, playing with his side projects and whatnot. When he realizes that DT is not going to come crawling back to him, he'll look to start up a new full-time band with some other musicians.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 08:16:13 AM »

Practicing drums.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SovereignDream

• Banned from P/R
  • Yayness
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:59 AM »
MP will simply never be in another band as amazing and revered as DT. I'm pretty sure he'll regret leaving for some years to come (that is if he doesn't snake his way back into DT). Though I am devastated that he left, I still love the guy. But he chose his words unintelligently; instead of proclaiming that he is "leaving Dream Theater," his announcement should have read "I'm sitting this DT album out to re-charge my batteries...sorry"
"I don't believe in Santa Clause, John Myung, or the Tooth Fairy..." - MP

What does that have to do with if ass scratching is unnatural or not?

My Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentinessarecute

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Obviously MP will finish the tour with Zakky and the boys....

And then what?

Being the mercenary drummer might be cool for a while, but I see him writhing in pain not being in DT after they move forward.  I guess we will have to wait and see, but other than joining some novelty super-group or sticking with A7X, what else do you see him doing?

If A7X asks him to be their drummer, permanently, it will signal that they are also ok with him being not just a drummer, but a driving force in the band. If that happens, I expect him to accept.

Then, nothing changes with MP. He'll do his side projects, with A7X replacing Dream Theater as his "big band."

That said, if A7X doesn't want MP to artistically contribute in a heavy way, I doubt MP would accept the gig. MP needs to be in control It is in his personality. He can say what he wants and he obviously can be a session guy here and there, but for him to be happy, MP needs to have his hands in the middle of whatever he's doing. That's just his nature.

So, if the A7X thing doesn't pan out, I see him doing a few side projects for a couple of years, and then him doing what he hinted about and trying to rejoin DT after the next album and tour cycle is completed.

Honestly though, I see A7X wanting him in the band full time, and contributing. A7X, love them or hate them, isn't your typical metal band. They really go in different directions, and it is actually progressive in the vein that they experiment a ton. If MP was allowed to help drive the ship equally, that's a gig I see him taking and using that as his replacement for Dream Theater.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
A7X would be stupid to not try and snag MP. This is a once and a lifetime chance to get a drummer with this much skill, who is looking for a rebound, and already has positive history with the band.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »
A7X would be stupid to not try and snag MP. This is a once and a lifetime chance to get a drummer with this much skill, who is looking for a rebound, and already has positive history with the band.

A7X are bigger than DT. They can also find any drummer they want, probably an unknown that is just as talented as Mike if not more so. He just won't bring the "name" portnoy. But I think they'll survive without such a huge star.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
Watching M.P with Avenged Sevenfold is really sad.    They are a decent band but it just looks wrong for him to be playing with them.   I am actually kind of happy he is not in D.T any longer because I feel he was probably behind Labrie doing growly vocals on a lot of songs.    Since he knows Gary Cherone maybe he can join Extreme and help them redeem themselves from the last album.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
Watching M.P with Avenged Sevenfold is really sad.    They are a decent band but it just looks wrong for him to be playing with them.   I am actually kind of happy he is not in D.T any longer because I feel he was probably behind Labrie doing growly vocals on a lot of songs.    Since he knows Gary Cherone maybe he can join Extreme and help them redeem themselves from the last album.

When did LaBrie do any growly vocals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »
I actually have a feeling that they'll ask him, and he'll decline.

Mike's had to have noticed by now why the guys in Avenged Sevenfold are so notorious. Anyone who's seen All Excess knows it; the guys are getting hammered in that DVD for at least half of the time they're on screen. They're like an old-fashioned rock/metal band that likes to play hard and party hard. And, from what I've seen, the Rev's overdose hasn't really changed their outlook in any major way.

Mike's gotta see this stuff going on when he's touring with them and feel a little bit "out" of the circle. They may not be snorting lines of coke between sets, but it's pretty obvious that they're camaraderie with each-other relies heavily on getting shit-faced together and doing stupid things. They probably don't think twice about Mike's absence from these sessions, but I'm sure Mike does...

They'll ask Mike if he wants the full-time gig. He'll reflect on it for awhile, and then he'll decline. Ultimately, Mike and the guys in A7X are cut from the same cloth-- but that's a past which Mike has left behind for good, because Mike I think sees a little bit of himself in these guys and knows that he could have wound up like the Rev.

Ultimately, I'm hoping Mike goes back to his other friends: Transatlantic. Or I hope he starts up something completely new. I suppose he COULD land a full-time gig with A7X and, while that'd be cool, I think that's determined more on what kind of atmosphere the guys are currently setting and whether it's a healthy situation for Mike to be in. I have a feeling that it isn't.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
PC, I agree with most of that :tup, but, as this is just based on my observation of him over the years, Portnoy strikes me as the kind of person who needs to be wanted.  And since DT apparently doesn't want him anymore (whether or not that is actually true, that is how he might perceive it, which is what matters in regards to the point I am making), he might have a tough time saying no to a band like A7X wanting him.  So, even though he might know deep down that it isn't the best thing for him, for obvious reasons, his need to be wanted might prevent him from turning it down.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
Good post, PC.  I was going to post something similar.  I don't know a lot of about AX7, but from what I've read their former drummer died of a drug overdose.  That means that drugs and drinking is likely a part of that band's culture.  Meanwhile, Portnoy just completed writing his AAA suite on the BC&SL album.  Is it wise for him to join a band full-time with a recent history of drug use?  What would his wife and kids think of that?  Frankly, him touring with that band right now is questionable to me.  I'm hoping that he declines the full-time offer.

On a separate note, I worry about Mike when the new DT album gets released in 2011 -- especially if it's a great album and fans start to think that DT is better off without him.  That would be a serious blow.  He would likely enter a deep funk.  Like any human, he might be tempted to turn to alcohol or other vices, but hopefully his family will be there to help him through the lowpoint.

I really think the best thing is for him to start his own band and hand pick the musicians he wants.  
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline John94

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:53 AM »
Play golf, watch all of Scorseses films back-to-back!

Might do some vids of him playing drums with his kids too.

On a serious note, go with Avenged for a couple months. Age will catch up to him etc.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
The only issues I have with that is: people always seem to want to work with Portnoy. I'm sure opportunity will come knocking at his door before long. Either in the form of more Transatlantic output, another tribute project, Hail, or something completely unexpected. I can't imagine Mike all of the sudden just not having anybody willing to work with him outside A7X.

I really think the best thing is for him to start his own band and hand pick the musicians he wants. 

Yeah, that would be cool. Especially if it's in the prog-metal department. Would be cool to have two Dream Theater caliber bands competing against each-other for Prog supremacy.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

Doing it will be a step down from an eventual return in DT, but I think that'd be cool.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

Practicing drums.
I'd like this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
I don't see MP joining A7X longterm really. He probably likes their music somewhat, but I just can't imagine him not trying to majorly influence their music were he to become a full member. And I don't think A7X would want that. Mike currently gives them a nice boost in popularity, but in the long run he'd turn into a liability.

I can see him trying to continue the "supergroup" projects he's been running for a while. Even though, the most obvious partnerships are kinda out of the way, and he didn't get into the Ackerfeldt/Wilson project (which I still think was a bit of a message, given the speculations about his participation).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
If he joined AX7 I think he would get frustrated by the record label interfering, which he obviously hates.

I could almost see him getting into something completely new, he's said that it would be cool to do a film score, but as a drummer I don't know how that would work.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
Personally, I do NOT think Mike will join A7X as a permanent member.  I just don't.  I think staying on for the full tour cycle is a really good move for him financially and in terms of the exposure for musicians who may have heard of him tangentially, but not really paid much attention to him.  I think it will open a lot of doors.  But I don't think he is looking to that band as a permanent, long-term fit.  I could be wrong, but that's just how I see it.

That being said, I don't think record label interference would be a huge factor.  Yes, it was a huge factor with DT.  But that is because he viewed DT as "his" band and they were a band that was all about blazing their own trail and doing things their own way.  If Mike were joining an already-established popular band, I'm sure he would manage his expectations accordingly and go in fully aware that he would not have the level of creative control he had with DT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
PC, that is a great post.

If he joined AX7 I think he would get frustrated by the record label interfering, which he obviously hates.

I don't know... would A7X let him pretty much take over the band's image like that?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
Personally I think he needs to take a break and reevaluate what he wants, I mean he may know what he wants now but I he has been going non-stop for a while.

I haven't been a fan of MP and I think DT is off but I do hope that he finds something that fulfills his life, especially if it isn't DT.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
he might pick up a new instrument and join a new band. like an accordion then playing in a techno/rap group

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 11:06:49 PM »
Maybe it's time to build "Hydra", the all bass drum kit.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »
I don't know... would A7X let him pretty much take over the band's image like that?
I have difficulty seeing MP join as a full time member and then saying, "Alright, you guys write the stuff and I'll record it." If that's the case then why be anything other than a long-term temporary fill-in guy? He did that this time around because the vast majority was already written, but as a full time member he's going to at least want some say in what the music is (as he should). AX7 is signed to Warner Bros, which I doubt would agree to stay out of the way like Roadrunner has for DT.

Then again, who knows, just because he had a huge role in DT doesn't mean he'll be the same in another band. Being the obsessive compulsive, 'constant motion' kind of guy he is, though, I think he likes to be busy. And just going from one band where he was the "leader" to another where he's just kind of another member (not to mention his talents being much more aligned with DT which technical-wise is far superior to AX7) I think he would get bored.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
Maybe it's time to build "Hydra", the all bass drum kit.

rumborak

:tup Quadrochosis likes this.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."