Author Topic: Generic Bands - Genre Question  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
Generic Bands - Genre Question
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
I'm terribly anal about having keeping my music library meticulously maintained...specifically having standard genre for a single band.

Would you consider bands like The Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, AC/DC, The Who, Springsteen, Frampton etc AOR or simply rock?

I tend to consider them AOR, yet bands start squeezing their way into that genre, like Rush etc...which, not AOR in the strictest sense, can still be considered a band more album orientated.  I would still consider them Progressive, however.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Re: Generic Bands - Genre Question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
AOR isn't a genre really
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
ZZ Top and ACDC I would consider as rock, ACDC possibly as hard rock.  The Who and the Stones I would say classic rock.  Frampton and Springsteen could be considered classic rock/pop.

I wouldn't consider any of those AOR.  Although some of Frampton possibly could be considered borderline AOR, but when I think AOR, I think; Journey, Bad English, Player, Chicago, Toto, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Starship, Survivor, Harem Scarem etc.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
AOR isn't a genre really

Since when.  I believe it is.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
Are we talking Arena Oriented Rock or Album Oriented Rock?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
Some are rock, some are hard rock. If you want to be a dick, you say some are classic rock and others are classic hard rock.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 03:21:38 PM »
AOR isn't a genre really

It's not a style of music really, an AOR band could be ANY kind of rock band but with album oriented songs, a categorisation yes but not a genre imho
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
AOR isn't a genre really

Some would argue that Album oriented rock and progressive rock are the same thing.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 03:46:50 PM »
AOR isn't a genre really

It's not a style of music really, an AOR band could be ANY kind of rock band but with album oriented songs, a categorisation yes but not a genre imho

That's a fair call, but I guess just as the years have gone by, we just have been used to bands like Journey and Toto being classified as AOR.  I agree it can be quite widespread, personally since I'm quite a big fan of the AOR type classified bands, I know what type of sounds are usually classed as AOR, if that makes sense.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
"AOR" and "Classic" aren't real genres IMO.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »
I'm terribly anal about having keeping my music library meticulously maintained...specifically having standard genre for a single band.

Would you consider bands like The Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, AC/DC, The Who, Springsteen, Frampton etc AOR or simply rock?

I tend to consider them AOR, yet bands start squeezing their way into that genre, like Rush etc...which, not AOR in the strictest sense, can still be considered a band more album orientated.  I would still consider them Progressive, however.

The real question is why do you need genre tags at all?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
All of those artists are either "classic rock" or simply "rock," except for AC/DC being "hard rock."

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »
All of those artists are either "classic rock" or simply "rock," except for AC/DC being "hard rock."

This

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »
Album Oriented Rock

Are we talking Arena Oriented Rock or Album Oriented Rock?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »

Welcome to my world.  I would consider them all Rock. I try not to divide music into too many generes (Well...I HAVE tried and it never ends well for me)

I have Rush, Yes, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer in the Rock section too. (Actually if I hadn't pulled Rush out into it's own section, it would go in Rock.) 

I've got '50s, '60s,  '70s, '80s and '90s sections for albums that might be guilty pleasures or might represent a particular period in my life that I might want to wax nostalgic about at some point. (I put a few Kiss albums in my '70s section for example)

I toyed with the idea of including ELP in a jazz/fusion section, but a lot of Emerson's solo albums aren't what I would consider to be fusion (I used to keep Emerson's CD's sprinkled in chronologically with his band's CDs but I took my wife's advice (she's very amused by the classification drama I subject myself too on a regular basis) and put Emerson's and Palmer's solo CD's after Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

I'll stop now because most of you already have that rope out....