Author Topic: Big Bang Theory - Season 4  (Read 24310 times)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Bang Theory - Season 4
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2011, 11:29:12 PM »
I've seen a few episodes, and these guys are the most surface-level geeks possible.

Well yeah, if they were too hardcore you wouldn't be able to attract any significant viewership.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2011, 11:41:19 PM »
Well if the show doesn't pander to nerds, then it's pandering to Jersey Shore fans.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »
Well if the show doesn't pander to nerds, then it's pandering to Jersey Shore fans.

Yes, you're absolutely right. The Big Bang Theory and Jersey Shore are totally on the same level.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
Then I'm glad we are.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2011, 05:09:03 AM »
I've seen a few episodes, and these guys are the most surface-level geeks possible.

Hipster Kitty much?

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2011, 09:53:51 AM »

Well yeah, if they were too hardcore you wouldn't be able to attract any significant viewership.

I think the point of the show is to cater to the nerd inside most people, the part of the general populace which finds robots and science and Star Wars and other stuff cool. If they delved too deeply, they would alienate that very part their trying to attract. So, they have to make broad base, surface level jokes.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
oh so broad
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »

Hipster Kitty much?

buh?

Offline jsem

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »

Hipster Kitty much?

buh?
Watch first season now. Epicness all over

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
What why is everyone attacking sonata?
I agree with him. The show has some great jokes but I hate the fucking laughing track:

"I'm gonna play Xbox"
*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA_*

"I'm Downloading an emulator"
*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHFAFGAHFAFBLAJK*

"Let's see Indiana Jones"
*HAHDHFAGFAHFGALJAJHFASJSGAHJSAHAHAHAFHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*

Those aren't jokes, they're mocking the "geek" commiunity, is like, if you play videogames you're funny and that's what sucks MAJOR COCK about the fucking show.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline jsem

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:54 PM »
The laughing track sux. I rarely laugh along it. I often laugh when they don't laugh.

Laughing tracks suck PERIOD. All shows. That's why scrubs was so insanely epic.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
I kinda agree.
I don't need directions to when i'm supposed to laugh.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
What's a surface-level geek?

Also, I don't think it's a laugh track cuz they film in front of an audience.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »
What's a surface-level geek?

Also, I don't think it's a laugh track cuz they film in front of an audience.
Then they have the worst audience ever, laughing at the word emulator?(that's surface-level geek) Come on.  :facepalm:

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
Aw, why have an audience if it's canned?

Also, I know what an emulator is but I don't know how "surface-level geek" applies to it cuz I don't know what "surface-level geek" even means.  If I had to guess I'd say it's someone who looks and acts like a geek isn't actually a geek.  If it's something else entirely please enlighten me.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
The laugh tracks are clearly fake. It's really the only thing that damages the show for me. I'm enjoying, then that damn fake laughter totally ruins it.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »

Also, I know what an emulator is but I don't know how "surface-level geek" applies to it cuz I don't know what "surface-level geek" even means.  If I had to guess I'd say it's someone who looks and acts like a geek isn't actually a geek.  If it's something else entirely please enlighten me.

What I mean is that the humor doesn't even come from relevant geek humor. It comes from surface things like HA GEEKS LIKE VIDEOGAMES AND MATH

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

What I mean is that the humor doesn't even come from relevant geek humor. It comes from surface things like HA GEEKS LIKE VIDEOGAMES AND MATH

No, it's a little more than that. They get Star Trek and comic book references just right. Plus, they actually have an astrophysicist around to make sure they get all of the science stuff right.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »

No, it's a little more than that. They get Star Trek and comic book references just right. Plus, they actually have an astrophysicist around to make sure they get all of the science stuff right.
Well, a little more isn't enough, the *geek* jokes are obviously written by 40 year old people that think playing video games and watching TLOTR is in someway hilarious.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
"If you're having trouble deciding where to sit, may I suggest One Potato, Two Potato -- or as I call it, the Leslie Winkle experimental methodology."

Sheldon  :heart

Offline PetFish

« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »
Leslie:  "Blah blah blah loop quantum gravity."

Sheldon:  "Balderdash, matter clearly consists of tiny strings."

Leslie to Leonard:  "Are you going to let him talk to me like that?!"

Leonard:  "Sorry, I like my universe stringy, not loopy."

Leslie:  "How will we raise the children?!"

Probably the best moment that shows there's a geek parallel to classic thinking with regards to relationships.  They don't do stuff like this anymore, they are playing it safe, which doesn't make sense to me cuz now is the time that they should be pushing the envelope now that they are famous and not just trying to get the show picked up.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »
THE THESPIAN CATALYST

2/5

I don't have much to say about this boring episode.  The best part was the Bollywood ending except that Bernadette should have been dressed in a sexy traditional outfit.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »
I'm changing my score to 1/5.

I just remembered that they ripped on TRON: Legacy so that gets an automatic -1 from me.  People don't like it, fine, but they lumped it in with the Hindenberg, Three Mile Island, and Chernobyl... implying that it was a disaster.  Was it phenomenal?  No.  Was it a debacle?  No.  Bashing it that hard was just uncalled for as I'm sure the majority of nerds like the guys would have at least enjoyed the visuals of it all.

/Rage.

Offline jsem

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
I actually laughed for the first time in a long time to Big Bang Theory, but it was the bollywood scene that did it for me. Epic.

Sheldon's breakdown was just  :facepalm:. He's not supposed to break down like that.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Yeah, I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential in the main plot with Sheldon and Penny. Raj's subplot was pretty funny though.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
THE BENEFACTOR FACTOR

2/5

Nothing particularly memorable about this episode but had some nice one-liners and moments.

I just wish there was more going on between Penny and Leonard.  Yeah, we all know they'll end up together like Ross and Rachel but at least in Friends there were always times when one wanted the other and vice versa but, right now, Penard/Lenny are just walking around ignoring each others' feelings.  There really needs to be a new female for Leonard to be with so Penny gets jealous and realizes what she's missing cuz she's such a bitch.

I took off 0.5 cuz Boobadette wasn't in this episode.

Offline jsem

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
Yeh.. the episode wasn't that good.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
THE COHABITATION FORMULATION

4/5

Finally, a fun episode.  Sheldon was particularly charming in this one.

Howard is a f*cking tool.  He treats Boobadette like trash and she still stays with him.  She deserves so much better.

I thought the best part was the "I forbid it" storyline, and Priya is also hot.  There was a reference to Leonard's sister but we haven't seen her yet.

Offline jsem

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
It was a very good episode. It lacked one key component though, a good scientific joke. That's what was missing from a 5/5.

The hydrogen atom joke a couple of episodes ago... that kinda stuff. Just EPIC.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
THE PRESTIDIGITATION APPROXIMATION

4/5

Messing with Sheldon was GOLD!  Everything about that worked.  I didn't even realize until near the end that it was all being rigged cuz he never actually asked Sheldon to pick a card.  Also, Sheldon's shirt was AWESOME!  Astrosmash from Intellivision?  What an obscure video game reference that only a small group of people would get but the ones who do, like me, go nuts!

Now, onto Penny/Leonard/Priya...

STUPID IDIOTIC DISAPPOINTING WASTE-OF-TIME GARBAGE STORYLINE

Last year when Priya visited Leonard he wanted more but she just wanted to use him.  Now they're together and she's telling him to get rid of Penny even though Penny has shown NO INDICATION of any threatening behaviour which also means Penny won't see the rest of the guys.

So, that's bad enough and Leonard should have fought for his friend but he doesn't, and then when he tells Penny to take a hike she... DOES!?  "Take care, Leonard" and walks away.  WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON with these idiot writers?  I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about Leonard and Penny right now and they are destroying what should be a lot of "when will they get back together" discussion about how every episode they hint about feelings but something always happens to get between them.

I'm so cheesed right now I feel like a little girl.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »
This thread is funny.  The geeks in this thread are hating on the fake geeks like the metal community hates Attack! Attack!

EDIT:  Sorry, Petfish, that wasn't about you, I was referring to the argument further up in the thread.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:16 AM »
It's more that the show is pretty terrible.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
They've just "sold out" to formulaic situations and gotten away from their roots which is what made them different enough to get noticed but now they're just same-old and that's what's making me sad.

It's like in music where an artists gets noticed for being unique or at least different and honest, like a Nelly Furtado or even a Shakira.  Then the "industry" gets a hold of them and makes them sound like every other dance/pop artist that's out there.  After 10 years of making garbage and millions of $$$ they go back to their roots and do smaller shows and are "happy" again.

Even look at American Idol.  These kids are there to show off their singing and when they win and get into the studio they're told to sing like this and that and change them into a generic overprocessed voice.  It's sad.

Anyway, that's my lame analogy, I just hope BBT figures it out and stops sucking soon.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
It's more that the show is pretty terrible.

I have a hard time finding any show with a laugh track funny.