1 (1.3%)
Redemption
18 (24%)
Threshold
6 (8%)
Other - add below!
13 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Your Fav Prog Metal band out of these! (that dont get a lot of recognition!)  (Read 9398 times)

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member

I feel like Fates Warning deserves at least a little more love for at least being a little more adventurous and less typical than other progressive metal bands.  

Absolutamente!

I've tried getting into Symphony X but I just couldn't do it.
sorry not into Yngwie clones  ...let the flame war begin

You obviously haven't listened to them very much.  Romeo is not a Yngwie clone.

While Romeo might not be an exact Yngwie clone, Symphony X's music is basically an extension of the neo-classical metal style that Malmsteen made his name from.
Malmsteen started Neoclassical metal. Symphony X perfected it.

Offline Odysseus

Saw a lot of talk of them...listened to a couple of albums (Wings/Twilight and V) and actually bought the live album, they honestly did nothing for me. Having grown up during the Shrapnel Years ( MacAlpine/Moore/Friedman/Becker) Romeo brought nothing new to the table that 100's of other guitarists weren't already doing

I have to disagree with some of that, purely on a subjective level.  While I grew up with much of the Shrapnel stuff, I think Symphony X brought a superior product to the party in terms of composition and the whole craft of songwriting.  The likes of Tony MacAlpine and Vinnie Moore etc were and are fantastic instrumentalists, but they lacked the ability to translate their craft in songwriting, which is how I like my playing.  Yes, maybe that wasn't their aim, and that point would certainly be valid, but I have to say that SX did it for me with their ability to create songs and soundscapes that took me on a journey, rather than 3 minutes of guitar wizardry over Usain Bolt's bass-drums (yes, I jest!)  But that's just my taste. 'Vive la difference', as they say next door.

I used to like Malmsteen but he lost the ability to write a decent song IMO round about 1988.  Absolutely cracking techinique and presence, but why oh why does he have to solo through everything live?  :-\  I still play his early stuff regularly though!  :hefdaddy

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
I only know Symphony X out of those choices. So yeah, that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've tried getting into Symphony X but I just couldn't do it.
sorry not into Yngwie clones  ...let the flame war begin

You obviously haven't listened to them very much.  Romeo is not a Yngwie clone.

While Romeo might not be an exact Yngwie clone, Symphony X's music is basically an extension of the neo-classical metal style that Malmsteen made his name from.

I somewhat agree, but that still doesn't mean Romeo is a Malmsteen clone.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
Quick Q: Even if you've never heard the band, does that mean you have to vote for someone you think deserves it, or can it also be someone from the list you have never heard of? The assumption is that if you've never heard of them, then maybe they deserve to be recognized more often.

Offline Seventh Son

Quick Q: Even if you've never heard the band, does that mean you have to vote for someone you think deserves it, or can it also be someone from the list you have never heard of? The assumption is that if you've never heard of them, then maybe they deserve to be recognized more often.
Well, its all subjective. I don't really like any of the bands in the poll at all, but I think In The Woods... is absolutely amazing and deserves a million times the recognition that they get. But whatever floats your boat.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
Well, its all subjective. I don't really like any of the bands in the poll at all, but I think In The Woods... is absolutely amazing and deserves a million times the recognition that they get. But whatever floats your boat.
Well, I've heard at least one song from each of them, but with everything I hear about Symphony X, I wouldn't vote for them, despite the fact I think they're awesome. But hey, you said it best. Thanks for the answer 7thSOn.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw a lot of talk of them...listened to a couple of albums (Wings/Twilight and V) and actually bought the live album, they honestly did nothing for me. Having grown up during the Shrapnel Years ( MacAlpine/Moore/Friedman/Becker) Romeo brought nothing new to the table that 100's of other guitarists weren't already doing

I have to disagree with some of that, purely on a subjective level.  While I grew up with much of the Shrapnel stuff, I think Symphony X brought a superior product to the party in terms of composition and the whole craft of songwriting.  The likes of Tony MacAlpine and Vinnie Moore etc were and are fantastic instrumentalists, but they lacked the ability to translate their craft in songwriting, which is how I like my playing.  Yes, maybe that wasn't their aim, and that point would certainly be valid, but I have to say that SX did it for me with their ability to create songs and soundscapes that took me on a journey, rather than 3 minutes of guitar wizardry over Usain Bolt's bass-drums (yes, I jest!)  But that's just my taste. 'Vive la difference', as they say next door.

I used to like Malmsteen but he lost the ability to write a decent song IMO round about 1988.  Absolutely cracking techinique and presence, but why oh why does he have to solo through everything live?  :-\  I still play his early stuff regularly though!  :hefdaddy

To each his own thats why people have different musical tastes, you talk about crafting a song and a soundscape, I just never heard that in SX's music, what I heard was lots of snippets of other genres ( Guitar Wizardry/Power Metal/Prog Metal) that never clicked with me on a whole. Where as Redemption and Fates Warning absolutely captured me on first listen.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Symphony X to me are a Power Metal band.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
Sure, and Dimmu Borgir are straight Black Metal.

Offline Lowdz

Anubis Gate. The last two albums have been awesome.

Offline MuumiPeikko

• The New Migrator
Out of these four - Redemption
I know the truth is out there.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you

Offline EstyMaJ

Lol these people need to listen a little more before they make opinions , SX really do mix it up threw there discography , sure there are neo classicle / power / metal  / on and on but ya really cant lable them  one thing oh wait prog metal ya thats what they are :facepalm:

Offline Seventh Son

Sure, and Dimmu Borgir are straight Black Metal.
I like you. I like you a lot.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Odysseus

To each his own thats why people have different musical tastes, you talk about crafting a song and a soundscape, I just never heard that in SX's music, what I heard was lots of snippets of other genres ( Guitar Wizardry/Power Metal/Prog Metal) that never clicked with me on a whole. Where as Redemption and Fates Warning absolutely captured me on first listen.

Absolutely.  That's the beauty of music IMO -something for everyone!  :tup