Author Topic: Coverdale/Page  (Read 2996 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Coverdale/Page
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »
Anyone else have this CD?  I hadn't listened to it in years, but I busted it out recently, and it sounded pretty cool.  Some very tasty tunes on there like "Pride and Joy," "Over Now," "Take Me for a Little While" and "Easy Does It."  Anyone else a fan?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Coverdale/Page
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:17:28 AM »
Yes. I actually listened to this again recently as well.  There is some incredible riffage in this album.  I wish they had done more together.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Outstanding album.  Coverdale sounds suspiciously like Plant in a number of places on this album.  In the video for Pride and Joy, he even seems to mimic some of Plant's poses/moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1imlqZiOw
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:30:31 PM by GuitarCozmo »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
Coverdale always has had that hint of Plant-wannabe-ness to his voice, for lack of a better term, so that is almost to be expected! :p

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
Absolutely.  I figured if Plant ever died and the remainders tried to do a Zeppelin show of some sort, the only person who would do the vocals proper justice would be David Coverdale.

Offline thecrowing

• DTF's Resident Child of the Fence
  • Help me Cosmia; I'm grieving!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »
Who did the harmonica in that track?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 05:54:33 AM »
While there is some some filler on this album, there is 5 or 6 very awesome songs. Just hearing Page play hard rock again was worth it. Whisper A Prayer For The Dying is one of my favorite 90's rock songs. Too bad they never toured this in the US. I'm left with the Japaneese boots.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »
Who did the harmonica in that track?

Credits say it was Page.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »
Wasn't this album an effort to get Page and Plant to get together again? (which they did shortly after).

I had this album for a while, sold it and went without until I decided about 5 years ago that I REALLY like the in-your-face and modern production. I still like to crank this one up once or twice a year (I'm probably due to hear it again soon). Much of it sounds fresh even today.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
Wasn't this album an effort to get Page and Plant to get together again? (which they did shortly after).

How would that work?  Page gets to play with someone who reminds him of Plant so much that he actually hooks up with Plant for an album?

There was a lot of Plant influence in Coverdale, which probably bugged the shit out of him to hear all the time, especially if he didn't exactly do it intentionally.  Great singer in his own right.  But yeah, he was practically a clone, albeit an imperfect one.  My buddies and I used to joke that Ann Wilson of Heart was a female Robert Plant, and David Coverdale was a male Robert Plant (cheap shot at Plant).  I don't know, it seemed funny at the time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
Dang, I am really getting a lot of mileage out of this CD in the last week.  This is better than even I thought it was back in the day. :coolio

Also, the main riff in "Shake My Tree" sounds fairly similar to the main riff in "I Am the Spirit" from Alex Lifeson's Victor album that came out three years later.  Looks like, even in his 40s, Lerxst couldn't resist borrowing from Jimmy Page a little bit. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
Dang, I am really getting a lot of mileage out of this CD in the last week.  This is better than even I thought it was back in the day. :coolio

Also, the main riff in "Shake My Tree" sounds fairly similar to the main riff in "I Am the Spirit" from Alex Lifeson's Victor album that came out three years later.  Looks like, even in his 40s, Lerxst couldn't resist borrowing from Jimmy Page a little bit. :biggrin:

I may have to dig this out and load it on my computer.  It's been a long, long time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
I still like to crank this one up once or twice a year (I'm probably due to hear it again soon). Much of it sounds fresh even today.
I busted this out over the summer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »

How would that work?  Page gets to play with someone who reminds him of Plant so much that he actually hooks up with Plant for an album?

There was a lot of Plant influence in Coverdale, which probably bugged the shit out of him to hear all the time, especially if he didn't exactly do it intentionally.  Great singer in his own right.  But yeah, he was practically a clone, albeit an imperfect one.  My buddies and I used to joke that Ann Wilson of Heart was a female Robert Plant, and David Coverdale was a male Robert Plant (cheap shot at Plant).  I don't know, it seemed funny at the time.

I seem to recall that the record industry was trying to force a Zeppelin reunion at the time.  Plant also released his Fate Of Nations    album in 1993 (not sure which came first). Maybe the question arose from both working at the same time?  

I remember Plant didn't have a lot of time for imitators (Lenny Wolf anyone?). He seemed to dimiss that kind of thing quite a bit back then.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »
I've never heard this album, but I have distinct memories of a used cd store near my home being overrun with copies of it.  They had some kind of snafu in their system that didn't stop their clerks from purchasing it.  They had probably no more than 2 copies of most albums but at least 15 of this one.  :lol  Anyone I knew that went there knew the album, but we all had the distinct impression it was terrible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
Ytse,  GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!

I also loved Lenny in Stone Fury.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kingsXrocks

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
ok... whisper a prayer for the dying... sounds just like System of a Down's aerials.. mainly the guitar intro... doesnt anyone else hear it??

btw i used to listen to this album as like a joke, not really taking it all to seriously... but it grows on you.. great production, great songs, page's playing shows restraint, coverdale's voice sounds great, the drumming is GREAT.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
It was a joke at first, wasn't it?  I found Coverdale to be ridiculous.  I mean, who does he think he is, Robert Plant?  And then it finally occurred to me: Yes!  And since Plant was doing some rather uninteresting shit at the time (I don't remember what... it was uninteresting), and Zep was gone, Coverdale/Page was the closest we were going to get.  And yeah, it grew on me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »
Ytse,  GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!

I also loved Lenny in Stone Fury.
Stone Fury :tup
Kingdom Come  :tdwn