Author Topic: Mike's kit.  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Mike's kit.
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »
Sooo... whatever MP ends up doing, does he keep his monster kit? I'm guessing he reverts back to something like in LSFNY

Offline Ħ

Re: Mike's kit.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
I was actually wondering this myself.  Moreover, is the new drummer gonna be required to have a monster kit to pull off MP songs live?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
Mike owns all of his drums. The kit he's using with Avenged is his. Isn't it the same paired down kit he uses from time to time?

As for the new drummer? Doubt it. I'm willing to bet his kit is not half as big. Most respective drummers have their own setup to achieve what they need. I assume they'll add whatever may be necessary (say roto toms, as a lot of drummers don't use those) but will likely keep it to a minimum. I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of the stuff Mike used to do, like guest drummers.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
Mike owns all of his drums. The kit he's using with Avenged is his. Isn't it the same paired down kit he uses from time to time?

As for the new drummer? Doubt it. I'm willing to bet his kit is not half as big. Most respective drummers have their own setup to achieve what they need. I assume they'll add whatever may be necessary (say roto toms, as a lot of drummers don't use those) but will likely keep it to a minimum. I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of the stuff Mike used to do, like guest drummers.

True, but didn't mike have a bunch of specialty symbols on his kit that are needed for certain songs? At least to get an almost studio sound.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »
I think you're talking about the Max Stax, which MP designed; they're available commercialy.  Actually, I think everything MP used on his kit is available commercially.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:27 PM »
Drummers always add their own touch to the songs so he might not necessarily add certain things Mike had his own kit such as a Max Stax.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
I don't understand how the next DT drummer wouldn't be a bit kit drummer. It's literally impossible to replicate MP's parts without a sufficiently diverse drum and cymbal selection.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
I don't understand how the next DT drummer wouldn't be a bit kit drummer. It's literally impossible to replicate MP's parts without a sufficiently diverse drum and cymbal selection.
Pretty much this. Maybe not three bass drums, but definitely needs a kit at least half to three quarters of the size.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
I don't want the new drummer to try and sound identical to MP.  A drummer of the skill that they're most certainly going to dig up will be able to pull it off quite well with a reasonable sized kit.  He's certainly going to need more than a Charlie Watt's special, but I wouldn't expect the guy to demo with the SS. Bozio, either. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »
Sooo... whatever MP ends up doing, does he keep his monster kit? I'm guessing he reverts back to something like in LSFNY
He's been using something similar to that kit with the Tama acrylic shells with A7X.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.