Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 411919 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Haken thread v. The Mountain
« Reply #2065 on: September 22, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
:heart

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2066 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
Really, nobody get Steven Wilson vibe from 7:00 onwards in FBTE?? That part could have been straight from Raven That Refused to Sing sessions... Nothing wrong there, just cool thing.
Hmm, not really - I get much more of a BTBAM vibe from that whole section.

this. i remember reading about the album before hearing it (probably in this thread), and it was being compared to a bunch of bands, including BTBAM. after one or two spins, i thought that section was the only real BTBAM-esque moment whomever it was coulda been talkin bout.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2067 on: September 22, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »
What Circus/Carnival are you people going to that plays anything like the so called "circus parts" in Haken's songs?

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2068 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
What Circus/Carnival are you people going to that plays anything like the so called "circus parts" in Haken's songs?

Really? Because I would fucking love that.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2069 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
 :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2070 on: September 22, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »

You, sir, have earned yourself a sig.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2071 on: September 23, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2072 on: September 23, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »
I'm trying to figure out why people are still bent out of shape over some people saying that a band that has an album that is set, in part, at a fucking carnival might just have themes in a few songs that song like circus or carnival music myself.   :lol

It's not fair to call anything on The Mountain circus music, yes. But if you don't think there's parts on Aquarius that aren't written to evoke that feeling, then at this point I just think you're taking people making that comment as being critical of Haken when really it's just how we hear it. And kind of fucking obvious on Aquarius.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2073 on: September 23, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
In Cockroach King, the first time he says "the hunter...", the "the hun..." sounds exactly like James LaBrie. It's the only time, those two syllables, but it's scary similar.

Anyone else agree?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2074 on: September 23, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »
I can sort-of hear that, haha.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2075 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
The album is starting to come together for me. I noticed the "theme" of the album (first track) shows up at least 3 times on the album. I will say that theme is too melancholic for me, but the album is a beast. I think DT12 has a slight edge over TM. :o

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2076 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
Lol, this circus/carnival music debate reminds me of: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_0EGsyFJY
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2077 on: September 24, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
I made some gifs.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: September 24, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
Excellent :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2079 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:09 AM »
https://www.progrockmag.com/news/haken-part-ways-with-bassist/

In a statement, the band say:

It is with deep regret that we have to announce Tom’s departure from Haken. As well as being a gifted musician, Tom is a great friend and it has been a pleasure and an honour to call him a band mate for the past six years. We’ve shared so many amazing experiences together and will never forget those times! We are immensely grateful for his wisdom and dedication, without which Haken would not be where it is today. We of course remain close friends and want everyone to know that there is no animosity between us whatsoever. Tom can explain the situation better than us:

“Ladies and gentlemen,

There is no simple way to rationalise why I have made the decision to leave Haken. I enjoy the creative process and the music we’ve written, I love playing and performing with the band, and I love my bandmates. I had really hoped to be around for a little while longer and I am somewhat surprised to be sitting here right now typing out this statement, so soon after The Mountain was released. And yet for some time I’ve been aware that things haven’t felt quite right. That, try as I might to be happy and content with my lot, this isn’t what I’m supposed to be doing with my life, and that there are other things I need to turn my focus to in order to achieve that nebulous and quasi-mythical state of ‘fulfilment’.

This has resulted in me becoming a cog that is struggling to turn with the rest of the machine. Put simply, when asked if I was prepared to commit wholeheartedly to a busy touring schedule for 2014, my immediate gut reaction was “No, I don’t want to do this anymore. Time to get off”. Again, there is no simple reason why I feel this way, but I can only acknowledge the fact that my heart is not 100% in it, and it’s time to accept that I need to drop things in order to follow my heart, wherever that will lead me.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Charlie, Diego, Ray, Rich and Ross for their endless support and encouragement, through good times and bad. It’s been an honour and a pleasure to work with them over the past 6 years. Finally, a big thank you to all the fans who have expressed their appreciation of my work. I tried my best. I will miss you all.

Now it’s time for some new adventures. Till we meet again!

Love and respect,

Tom”

After our recent signing to InsideOut and with the release of our third album, it feels like we are embarking on the next stage of our journey, which we are extremely excited about. We are so proud of The Mountain and we can’t wait to get on stage and share it with our dedicated fans. Thankfully we will have the pleasure of Tom’s company and musicianship during our upcoming October stint finishing up at Prog Stage Festival in Israel. After that, we will continue with a ‘special guest bassist’ (TBA) until we find a permanent member. Information regarding the audition process will follow at a later date. Finally we would like to say a huge mountain-sized thank you to our awesome fans for the continued support.

Haken
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:39:25 AM by cyberdrummer »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: September 25, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »
Wow, I did not see that coming. All the best to him and the band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2081 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »
No, not Björn Gustafsson :(

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2082 on: September 25, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
No, not Björn Gustafsson :(
I guess his other career got in the way!  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2083 on: September 25, 2013, 05:59:05 AM »
Wow, I did not see that coming. All the best to him and the band.
It's not a huge surprise to me, but I guess I know the band better than most. He's had similar thoughts in the past, and with the band's stature clearly accelerating following the release of the Mountain, it doesn't surprise me that he wants to get out now if his heart isn't into the whole culture of touring and living on the road, etc. In simple terms that's basically the same reason that both Matt and Pete (original guitarist and keyboardist who were replaced by Charlie and Diego before they made Aquarius) left when they did - they could see the commitment that would be required and had other things they wanted to do with their lives.

It does still sadden me a little though, as Tom is such a nice guy and of course an incredible bassist. Best of luck to him!

I be am boner inducing.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2084 on: September 25, 2013, 06:59:09 AM »
I'm grateful for the work he did with Haken. The bass lead at the beginning of "Sun" is one of my favourite bass lines ever and his work on TM is impressive. But I have to agree with ariich, this just happens when bands get successful and music turns from a hobby to a profession with commitments and a busy schedule. Not everyone wants to deal with a life on the road and make personal sacrifices for touring cycles. Best of luck to him and to the band looking for a new bassist.

I also must admit that as a fan, I'm excited at the prospect of a "busy 2014 touring schedule". Maybe I'll finally get to see them live.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2085 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »
me7, ALL your favorite bands be losing bassists these days!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2086 on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
I read about this somewhere the other day. but decided not to post it here, since the band hadn't made their own statement about it yet. Yes, it does sadden me a bit, since he was a nice guy and a great bass player. I'll be sure to wish him all the best when I see the band live again in less than two weeks time and I'm sure the band will be able to find a new addition to the band.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2087 on: September 25, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
I got a $50 Amazon gift card from my Mother In Law (I love her so much), and this album was the first thing I wanted to buy....   But they are out of stock on the deluxe version with the two bonus tracks.    :censored

Is that deluxe version limited?  Will I be waiting forever? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2088 on: September 25, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
Nevermind.  I ordered it from an Amazon seller in England and the gift card worked...but apparently they won't be shipping it to me until Oct 23rd!!  >:( :censored

Oh well...at least I'm getting what I wanted.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2089 on: September 25, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »
me7, ALL your favorite bands be losing bassists these days!

First Leprous, now Haken. Makes me wonder who is next...

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #2090 on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
Does anyone else find the drums in "Because it's There" really annoying? That's the only thing I don't like on the entire album and it kills the song for me.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2091 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
Absolutely not. I think it's so cool.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2092 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
Does anyone else find the drums in "Because it's There" really annoying? That's the only thing I don't like on the entire album and it kills the song for me.
Er, no. I think the electronic drum effects work perfectly in that song, and it's one of my favourite Haken songs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2093 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40:39 AM »

Nope. If anything, they make the song. It's surely something unique and like my namesake above me, Because It's There quickly became one of my favourite Haken songs. The drums play a large part in that, but it also has a lot to do with how good the chorus is.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2094 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »

It's weird, when I picked up my copy at the record store, I noticed that absolutely none of the copies they had were standard. Every single one had the bonus tracks, and the sticker on the front didn't even mention that it was the deluxe version or anything. Normal unassuming jewel case too. Most "deluxe" editions of albums I see today are digipak.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2095 on: September 26, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »
Does anyone else find the drums in "Because it's There" really annoying?

Actually I thought this on my first listen too. It's still a great song though and it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2096 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:30 AM »
Because It's There is flat out my favorite Haken song, and I don't mind the electronic effects.  It's a little thing, it's not over done, and it works.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2097 on: September 26, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
NOOO!!! The bassist was the most 'interesting' aspect of Haken's sound, considering most metal bands (prog or otherwise) do not utilize their bassists like Haken does. He slaps, pops, has a very jazzy side, as well as keeping the low end heavy for the guitar, and you can hear him!!! I'm very disappointed right now.  :'(

However, I can't blame him if his heart is not up for touring, especially if they're going to tour a lot in 2014. I hope they find a bassist who can match the intensity he brought.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2098 on: September 26, 2013, 09:00:29 AM »
I got a $50 Amazon gift card from my Mother In Law (I love her so much), and this album was the first thing I wanted to buy....   But they are out of stock on the deluxe version with the two bonus tracks.    :censored

I bought the regular version, and it has the 2 bonus tracks. They're more like a coda, and a reprise, though Nobody would have been better in the middle of the album.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2099 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
NOOO!!! The bassist was the most 'interesting' aspect of Haken's sound, considering most metal bands (prog or otherwise) do not utilize their bassists like Haken does. He slaps, pops, has a very jazzy side, as well as keeping the low end heavy for the guitar, and you can hear him!!! I'm very disappointed right now.  :'(

However, I can't blame him if his heart is not up for touring, especially if they're going to tour a lot in 2014. I hope they find a bassist who can match the intensity he brought.

I'm sure they will look for and find someone who has a similar playing style. It might never be the same, but that's pretty much the case for any line-up change in a band.