Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 411876 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: The Haken thread v. The Mountain
« Reply #2170 on: October 04, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »
The funny thing with Haken for me is I listen to their albums, I feel like I am enjoying them when I listen to them, but despite having purchased all three of their CDs I don't think I could name a single track from memory and I can't say that I actually recall much of anything from any of their albums.  The Cockroach King chorus melody is in my head right now because I'm posting in this thread, but the minute I hit that "post" button and move on, it will be gone and I'll pretty much forget it until the next time I listen.

I think they're a really great band.  Talented group.  But something about their music lacks....something.  catchy-ness maybe.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2171 on: October 04, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
The funny thing with Haken for me is I listen to their albums, I feel like I am enjoying them when I listen to them, but despite having purchased all three of their CDs I don't think I could name a single track from memory and I can't say that I actually recall much of anything from any of their albums.  The Cockroach King chorus melody is in my head right now because I'm posting in this thread, but the minute I hit that "post" button and move on, it will be gone and I'll pretty much forget it until the next time I listen.

I think they're a really great band.  Talented group.  But something about their music lacks....something.  catchy-ness maybe.

Prepare to have your head bitten off.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #2172 on: October 04, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »

I can kinda see where you're coming from, it generally takes me a lot of time to digest their music and let it stick in my head before it becomes something I can recall easily. Like when I listened to Visions initially it took me about 4 or 5 spins before stuff really started sticking in my head.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #2173 on: October 04, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
I personally don't find the first two albums (which I do enjoy) to be catchy, but there are several very memorable songs on The Mountain, Cockroach King being the most distinct for me.

Regarding the quirkiness, I don't really consider the band to be that quirky, even for a prog band. Compared to all the Yes/Genesis sound-alike bands, then yeah, they're quirky, but there are so many other progressive bands and musicians out there, both new and old, that are much weirder. This isn't a criticism of the band, as I still enjoy their style but I think the quirkiness of their music is overstated.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2174 on: October 04, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
While I haven't listened to The Mountain that much, I have to say that right now, it's my favourite Haken album. It just has something that Aquarius and Visions were, by and large, lacking.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2175 on: October 04, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
Awesome gig yesterday. I'll post vids of most of Cockroach King and probably the whole song Visions later. And pics.  :hat
Too bad Tom leaves... Will be hard to fill his shoes.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2176 on: October 04, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
LOL at thinking the vocal melodies on this album aren't interesting. They are absolutely amazing. The chorus of Cockroach King, TEARING DOWN THE WALLS OF ETERNITYYY, Because It's There in its entirety... everything vocal-wise is above par. I have no idea how anyone could think the vocal melodies aren't good. Yeah, sure, the music might not be your type, but criticizing the vocal melodies on this album just aggravates me.

LOL at you getting worked up over my opinion. Seriously, :chill. I'm not in here bashing the band, I just gave my reasons for not liking them in a constructive manner. You probably don't like the new Dream Theater, I think it's great. Tastes, shmastes.
Agreed, I wish more people posted their negative views in such a manner! :tup

I mean I agree with Adam with regards to the vocal melodies, but each to their own. Nothing is for everyone!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2177 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
I kind of am amused at how angry people get when they express perfectly legitimate opinions about why they don't like Haken. I mean, I know we're on the Internet (Our Motto: ONLY MY OPINION COUNTS!) but seriously, you'd think Zook had just insulted Haken's mothers collectively or something just because he doesn't like the vocal melodies.  :lol I actually find vocals in particular to be a weakness in Haken's music, which is one of the reasons I love Because It's There to pieces, it actually has memorable vocal lines.  I know people can be very proprietary about a band that they like that isn't particularly well known, but some of you guys are taking that a shade too far. It's okay to not like Haken. And I don't think people need to particularly explain why they don't.

And yeah, I'm still amazed that people are still up in arms over the carnival/circus music thing.  :lol Given the story of Aquarius, that just stays endlessly hilarious for me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2178 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
Well said, Optimus.

I think my deal with the circus stuff is that it isn't integrated into the music very well. Celestial Elixir has this beautiful intro going on and then suddenly clowns everywhere.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: October 05, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
It's more New Orleans than circus music in that case.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2180 on: October 05, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
It may be worth mentioning the story of Aquarius. Found this interesting story line here

1. The Point of No Return

Plot: The child is born with flippers. The family decide the best thing to do with this "circus freak" is to set it free into a stream. The end of the song sees the family living with the guilt.

2. Streams

Plot: This track sees a happy young mermaid in her childhood stream before being caught by something unseen, and the fate of the mermaid is passed into the hands of whatever it was that caught her.

3. Aquarium

Plot: Our mermaid is now being held in an aquarium and put on display for the paying public, which seems to be effecting her health and she is desperate for her freedom once more.

4. Eternal Rain

Plot: The catcher realises he has done wrong, and fears what fate has in store for him.

5. Drowning in the Flood

Plot: On his way to return the mermaid to the sea, the ship is wrecked. The mermaid manages to save her catcher, but at the cost of her own life.

6. Sun

Plot: The scene of the cover, with the mermaid vaporising in the wake of this tragedy.

7. Celestial Elixir

Plot: The mermaid is in the afterlife, leaving all those who encountered her to deal with their guilt and grief.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: October 05, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
Nice, thanks!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #2182 on: October 05, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
It may be worth mentioning the story of Aquarius. Found this interesting story line here

Plot: The child is born with flippers. The family decide the best thing to do with this "circus freak" is to set it free into a stream. The end of the song sees the family living with the guilt.

2. Streams

Plot: This track sees a happy young mermaid in her childhood stream before being caught by something unseen, and the fate of the mermaid is passed into the hands of whatever it was that caught her.

3. Aquarium

Plot: Our mermaid is now being held in an aquarium and put on display for the paying public, which seems to be effecting her health and she is desperate for her freedom once more.

4. Eternal Rain

Plot: The catcher realises he has done wrong, and fears what fate has in store for him.

5. Drowning in the Flood

Plot: On his way to return the mermaid to the sea, the ship is wrecked. The mermaid manages to save her catcher, but at the cost of her own life.

6. Sun

Plot: The scene of the cover, with the mermaid vaporising in the wake of this tragedy.

7. Celestial Elixir

Plot: The mermaid is in the afterlife, leaving all those who encountered her to deal with their guilt and grief.

That's an interesting perspective on Aquarius' story. I myself have tried to figure out what's going on in the album based on the lyrics, but the results have been somewhat messier... I agree with this interpretation of The Point of No Return, but afterwards my interpretation differs on some things quite considerably:
- For example, I think that at the end of Streams the mermaid comes across some kind of oil spill in the ocean ("It suddenly hits me and crushes my world", "It suddenly bites me and poisons my veins"). Then the fisherman finds her (Aquarium) and makes money out of showing her to people.
- In Eternal Rain a second Great Flood begins ("The sky forgives no one / And the worst is yet to come", "Soaking right down to the bone / In your eternal rain") and then in Drowning in the Flood the mermaid is given up to scientists to figure out how to make humans breath underwater ("Please, teach me how the hell do I breathe down there", "I give in to temptation / She was never meant to be saved" (From Eternal Rain), " Only she can save our sorry souls / Priceless freedom coming at a heavy cost", "She knows her purpose is to die", "We were drowning, she was free / Now she's gone forever"). There seems to be some overlap between the story told by each song, but in Sun the mermaid dies as a result of the experiments ("I killed you / To save us all")
- In Celestial Elixir people drink the results of the experiments (a.k.a. the celestial elixir) and become mer-people ("Scales grow all over our skin"). The fisherman continues yearning to meet her again.
I know, it sounds crazy... It's just an interpretation...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2183 on: October 05, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
Yeah... Cockroach King just won't grow on me. Sorry guys.  :-\

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2184 on: October 05, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that ElliottTamer has written the same ting two posts up.

Yeah... Cockroach King just won't grow on me. Sorry guys.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:34:32 AM by me7 »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2185 on: October 05, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
I love the Cockroach King because I'm a huge Gentle Giant fan.

Offline me7

« Reply #2186 on: October 05, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
I love Cockroach King because I'm a huge Queen fan.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2187 on: October 05, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
You better love it because you're Haken fans  :biggrin:
Just joking, don't take it seriously  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:41:36 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2188 on: October 05, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
For someone that has the limited edition cd of The Mountain, are the liner notes(written lyrics) included?  I went to my local best buy and they do not have the cd in stock.  I am thinking about buying the bundle LE cd and Tshirt on Haken's website for 25 pounds which will be about 37.5 in US dollars.  I can buy the cd for 10.00 on ITunes, but my wife likes to have the lyrics and pictures.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #2189 on: October 06, 2013, 06:07:17 AM »
For someone that has the limited edition cd of The Mountain, are the liner notes(written lyrics) included?  I went to my local best buy and they do not have the cd in stock.  I am thinking about buying the bundle LE cd and Tshirt on Haken's website for 25 pounds which will be about 37.5 in US dollars.  I can buy the cd for 10.00 on ITunes, but my wife likes to have the lyrics and pictures.

Yes, there's a lyrics booklet included in the digipack limited edition. If you want to check it out to see if it's worth it, you can check most of it on the website of the people who designed it (https://www.blacklakedesign.com/projects_haken_themountain.html).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2190 on: October 06, 2013, 06:18:11 AM »

Still loving that face there, he's just all like... "sup".

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #2191 on: October 06, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »
That's an interesting perspective on Aquarius' story. I myself have tried to figure out what's going on in the album based on the lyrics, but the results have been somewhat messier... I agree with this interpretation of The Point of No Return, but afterwards my interpretation differs on some things quite considerably:
- For example, I think that at the end of Streams the mermaid comes across some kind of oil spill in the ocean ("It suddenly hits me and crushes my world", "It suddenly bites me and poisons my veins"). Then the fisherman finds her (Aquarium) and makes money out of showing her to people.
- In Eternal Rain a second Great Flood begins ("The sky forgives no one / And the worst is yet to come", "Soaking right down to the bone / In your eternal rain") and then in Drowning in the Flood the mermaid is given up to scientists to figure out how to make humans breath underwater ("Please, teach me how the hell do I breathe down there", "I give in to temptation / She was never meant to be saved" (From Eternal Rain), " Only she can save our sorry souls / Priceless freedom coming at a heavy cost", "She knows her purpose is to die", "We were drowning, she was free / Now she's gone forever"). There seems to be some overlap between the story told by each song, but in Sun the mermaid dies as a result of the experiments ("I killed you / To save us all")
- In Celestial Elixir people drink the results of the experiments (a.k.a. the celestial elixir) and become mer-people ("Scales grow all over our skin"). The fisherman continues yearning to meet her again.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Offline me7

« Reply #2192 on: October 06, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Regarding the end of "Streams", I consider the thing that "hits her" to be a mental realization that she is no mere fish and that she doesn't belong alone in the ocean. Until now she was content with her playful life among fishes, but now she has matured and longs for a purpose in life. She sets out to seek interaction with humans and ends up stranded at the beginning of "Aquarium".

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2193 on: October 06, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
LOL at thinking the vocal melodies on this album aren't interesting. They are absolutely amazing. The chorus of Cockroach King, TEARING DOWN THE WALLS OF ETERNITYYY, Because It's There in its entirety... everything vocal-wise is above par. I have no idea how anyone could think the vocal melodies aren't good. Yeah, sure, the music might not be your type, but criticizing the vocal melodies on this album just aggravates me.

LOL at you getting worked up over my opinion. Seriously, :chill. I'm not in here bashing the band, I just gave my reasons for not liking them in a constructive manner. You probably don't like the new Dream Theater, I think it's great. Tastes, shmastes.

sure, yeah, but the way you posted it sounded as if you were trying to pass it off as the truth. being a vocalist myself, I really enjoy and appreciate the vocals on this album and feel like they're done in a way that is above and beyond what the band has done before, so saying "the melodies just aren't there" or "Prog album of the year it is not, Mr. Portnoy" doesn't sound constructive at all, dude. the other stuff being constructive, sure-- but those added little quips are just sort of annoying, at least to me.

but it's all good. if you don't like the band, that's chill.

in other news, we're almost finished composing the (entirely) a capella version of Because It's There. it's gonna be sick

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2194 on: October 07, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »
You know, I liked Somebody the first time around, but now having really paid attention to the lyrics of it, I'm loving it more and more.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2195 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:39 AM »
in other news, we're almost finished composing the (entirely) a capella version of Because It's There. it's gonna be sick
That sounds awesome! You going to be recording it for us all to hear?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2196 on: October 07, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
Okay, here are some pics and vids from the Haken gig last week: https://picasaweb.google.com/112126017224679832760/Haken31013Ruesselsheim?authkey=Gv1sRgCO3UnoCU1a-YXQ
Included are the videos of the presenter, most of Cockroach King and the full Visions (including a gift for Tom at the end).

:hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #2197 on: October 07, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »

2. Streams

3. Aquarium

4. Eternal Rain

5. Drowning in the Flood

6. Sun

7. Celestial Elixir

Its quite funny seeing your own review edited down, posted on a different forum, then that post linked to on the original forum!
I did that quite quick summary of what I thought was going on in the album pretty soon after the album came out.
I like your more analysis-heavy plot there, it sounds much more clever than my very literal pulling out what I can from the lyrics :)
original review here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=12685.0
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2198 on: October 07, 2013, 08:43:13 AM »

sure, yeah, but the way you posted it sounded as if you were trying to pass it off as the truth. being a vocalist myself, I really enjoy and appreciate the vocals on this album and feel like they're done in a way that is above and beyond what the band has done before, so saying "the melodies just aren't there" or "Prog album of the year it is not, Mr. Portnoy" doesn't sound constructive at all, dude. the other stuff being constructive, sure-- but those added little quips are just sort of annoying, at least to me.

but it's all good. if you don't like the band, that's chill.

I think we should all sign a waiver saying that the opinions of others are theirs and only theirs and those who express their opinions as facts are doing so personally and do not reflect or change the opinions or facts  on which they are applying.

Anyway, Haken aren't incapable of writing good and beautiful melodies. I've expressed my love for Celestial Elixir on several occasions, but when they are sounding like Stone Temple Pilots (a band I actively hate) on the very same album (Drowning in the Flood), it's quite frustrating.

I think we've said all we can say. Enjoy your Haken.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2199 on: October 07, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »

2. Streams

3. Aquarium

4. Eternal Rain

5. Drowning in the Flood

6. Sun

7. Celestial Elixir

Its quite funny seeing your own review edited down, posted on a different forum, then that post linked to on the original forum!
I did that quite quick summary of what I thought was going on in the album pretty soon after the album came out.
:blush Did not know you were a member here. I just googled "story of haken aquarius" and your post poped up.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2200 on: October 07, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
Okay, here are some pics and vids from the Haken gig last week: https://picasaweb.google.com/112126017224679832760/Haken31013Ruesselsheim?authkey=Gv1sRgCO3UnoCU1a-YXQ
Included are the videos of the presenter, most of Cockroach King and the full Visions (including a gift for Tom at the end).

:hat

At the end of Visions, the keyboards hinted at the ending of Blind! :omg: Didn't see that coming! Awesome performance.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2201 on: October 07, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
I was just thinking; I've seen this band seven times now and spoke with them after every single show, yet I don't have a single picture of me with any one of the band members. It occurred to me this weekend at ProgPower Europe, where people were taking pictures of themselves with all kinds of bands. I guess I'm not a photograph-person or something.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2202 on: October 07, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
I was just thinking; I've seen this band seven times now and spoke with them after every single show, yet I don't have a single picture of me with any one of the band members. It occurred to me this weekend at ProgPower Europe, where people were taking pictures of themselves with all kinds of bands. I guess I'm not a photograph-person or something.
Pfft, I've seen them 11 times and spoken to most of them pretty much every time and don't have a photo either. :P

I think it's at the point now where that would be a bit weird though. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2203 on: October 08, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
So loving this album right now, definitely returns to the level of quality on Aquarius if not surpassing it. Visions wasn't a bad album but it just wasn't as interesting as the other two.
Cockroach King and Paredolia are probably my favorites right now though really everything is fantastic, the shorter songs haven't really yet stuck with me much yet but I'm sure that will change with more listens.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2204 on: October 08, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
the shorter songs haven't really yet stuck with me much yet