Author Topic: The Mars Volta Thread (the band has un-broken up)  (Read 105201 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Mars Volta Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
Wait. There's a title track not included on the album?
Yes.

Looks like I know what I'm about to listen to.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
I haven't heard it either.  I knew about it though.  I never thought Frances was that great, tbh.  De-Loused is the win.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
Frances is the album that has stuck with me the longest, I listen to it a few times a month at least, while lately I haven't been listening to any of TMV.

I'd still say my favorite album by them is Amputechture though
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »
THIS NEVER HAPPENED
BUT I SAW YOU LEAVE
AND CRAWL INTO A BED OF BROKEN WINDOWS
THIS NEVER HAPPENEDDDD

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:45 PM »
While this is the Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group, it consists of like 70% of who's gonna be on the new album including their new drummer Deantoni Parks, who is my favorite drummer at the moment, and let me tell you, he is AMAZING. Just watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlhKf7FM7qs
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
Jon Theodore is still the best them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
THIS NEVER HAPPENED
BUT I SAW YOU LEAVE
AND CRAWL INTO A BED OF BROKEN WINDOWS
THIS NEVER HAPPENEDDDD
:metal :metal :metal
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Jon Theodore is still the best them.

Did you see what Deantoni Parks was doing? Although, Jon Theodore is also amazing...
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
Just realized that I'm missing 14 minutes of Cassandra Geminni. What. The. FUCK!?!
prog sucks

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
Just realized that I'm missing 14 minutes of Cassandra Geminni. What. The. FUCK!?!

That's why you buy the albums.  :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »

I didn't do what you're implying. I'm pretty sure I just forgot to put the whole album on my external hard drive from my friend's, who also doesn't do what you're implying, computer.
prog sucks

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »

When I bought Frances the Mute and ripped it into my hard drive, for some reason it puts parts of Cassandra Gemini as if they were from Miranda.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
I believe the title track of Frances the Mute would have been the first song on the album. I made a playlist on my iPod and put it first (it segue ways right into the real first song). I'll be honest, it ruined the flow of the album. I turned it off during The Widow. I honestly like the song itself, but it made me lose interest in listening to the album. I'm glad they kept it off.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
If they had left out the long sections of birds chirping and static and whatnot, they could have fit it on the album. I think FTM is one of the best albums ever, but the useless noise is the only thing that drags it down, IMO.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »

That's why you buy the albums.  :lol
When I bought Frances the Mute and ripped it into my hard drive, for some reason it puts parts of Cassandra Gemini as if they were from Miranda.

Same thing happened to me.. Had to fix it by looking up the time stamps on Wikipedia. :o
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
The problem is that I don't know what I'm missing. I have all the track names, and on Wikipedia it just says that the cuts don't match up to the subtitles, and it just lists Cassandra Geminni seven times, so I have no way of knowing what's not there.
prog sucks

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Miranda ends after the "Cygnus" reprise. Cassandra starts when things get loud again.

Miranda is only 13:08 long. The remaining tracks are all part of Cassandra. When I first ripped it, it was screwy too, but my final tracklisting has 8 parts of C.G.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
Thank you. I just realized that the 14 minutes are in Miranda. Problem figured out, now I just need to fix it.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
Miranda ends after the "Cygnus" reprise. Cassandra starts when things get loud again.

Miranda is only 13:08 long. The remaining tracks are all part of Cassandra. When I first ripped it, it was screwy too, but my final tracklisting has 8 parts of C.G.

Do you think you would be able to give me your tracklisting? I don't know what to name the songs.
prog sucks

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
I just named them Cassandra Gemini 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »
I use Cassandra Gemini I - Cassandra Gemini VIII.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »
Thank you for the help. I went the Roman Numerals, they just seem to fit better.
prog sucks

Online The Letter M

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2011, 12:52:25 PM »
Too bad the band just didn't track the song in it's own sections like it lists on the album. Fortunately, when I was big into the album and listened to it a lot, and had obtained the title track from buying the "The Widow" single, I mixed the album together and re-cut the last song so it fit (where I thought) the sections started and ended. I posted about it back on the first page -
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17277.msg761996#msg761996

FTM is probably my favorite TMV album, but then again, I've not fairly given the others a chance, even though I own them all.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »
After I figured out that they named the songs wrong on the listing, I just went and made Cassandra Gemini one song, as it should, runs for 32:32.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
What program did you use?
prog sucks

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
I just went and made Cassandra Gemini one song, as it should, runs for 32:32.
That's what I did too. It's not like I'm going to listen to them seperately.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
Audacity. It's free and quite easy to use.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »

You can also do this in iTunes. There's an option to "Join Tracks" before you rip them. Afterwards, you can rename it properly and enjoy a single track ripped from a multi-part piece.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
Frances won't leave me alone. I hear it when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, between the two. I CAN'T ESCAPE IT!!!!
prog sucks

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »
That should be a lyric of the album.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
So you're saying I could be the next Omar Rodriguez-Lopez?
prog sucks

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »

You can also do this in iTunes. There's an option to "Join Tracks" before you rip them. Afterwards, you can rename it properly and enjoy a single track ripped from a multi-part piece.

-Marc.

So you CAN do that?! Every time I tried doing that for Cassandra Gemini last year it didn't work. I wonder what I did wrong.

There also seems to be weird skipping sounds throughout the album that made me think the tracks ripped from the CD badly. But then I ripped a friends copy and the skips were in the same exact spots. I'm not sure if they're part of the music or not, but it sounds like those quick little click/chirps you get in a song when the computer hasn't ripped it properly.

Otherwise, I love the album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
 :lol I thought the same thing with the clicks. That is actually part of the album though.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2011, 08:27:39 AM »
indeed, there's just a buttload of pops and clicks in "Cassandra" (mostly "Faminepulse," methinks) from, presumably, bad tape editing.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
After seeing The Mars Volta name here for many many times before and after seeing this thread recently I finally decided that I will give TMV a try. I started with Frances The Mute and even though it was a lot different and experimental to absorb on first listen I loved some parts very much like L'via L'viaquez middle part of Miranda and some parts of Cassandra Geminni... But today I tried Amputechture for the first time and Day Of The Baphomets totally blew my mind I'm listening to it for at least tenth time over and over again this is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard :D Whole album is great but that song OMG!!! So I guess I'm starting to get into the band a little :lol Which album would you recommend me next after I will absorb these two?