Author Topic: The Mars Volta Thread (the band has un-broken up)  (Read 105296 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: The Mars Volta Thread (the band has broke up/hiatus)
« Reply #595 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
None of the TMV side-projects have ever excited me nearly as much as this band, The Mars Volta is probably one of my favorite bands ever and I'm still trying to fill the void...

Seriously, try Closure In Moscow's Pink Lemonade, post haste.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #596 on: September 26, 2016, 11:45:36 PM »
Yes, great album! I found that one in early 2016 and its one of my favorite finds, definitely has some strong tmv vibes in Technochrist and title-track amongst others
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #597 on: September 27, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »
I think At the Drive-in holds up well, and I'd put Relationship of Command in the same tier as Frances or Deloused, but what the members have done since leaving TMV just feels kinda zZzZzZz.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #598 on: June 02, 2017, 03:50:08 AM »
My favorite band of the present
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #599 on: October 23, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
bump.

2 things I found in my YouTube feed some may find worth checking out.

1st: Cedric did a "What's in My Bag?" at Amoeba Records. Some cool choices in there..Syd Barrett, Van Dyke Parks and The Flaming Grooves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV0ldjAKiLo

Also a channel I subscribe to "The Downfall Network" did a "Retrospective" about the history of TMV. Not too in-depth or anything, but it's a decent overview for 23 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqAfenDccQE&t=0s

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #601 on: April 28, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »
bump.

kind of cool analysis/opinions of The Volta history

Understanding The Mars Volta Part 1
Understanding The Mars Volta Part 2

Part 3 is coming soon i guess.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #603 on: November 17, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #605 on: May 26, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »
bump.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/05/the-mars-volta-reunion/

"Early Saturday morning, frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala hinted at the band’s impending comeback in a tweet. Responding to a fan who said “I dream with you guys giving TMV a new chapter,” Bixler-Zavala replied, “It’s happening.”

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #606 on: May 26, 2019, 12:21:53 PM »
Hopefully whatever new stuff they do is more in line with Deloused, Frances, and Amputechture.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #607 on: May 26, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »
Hopefully whatever new stuff they do is more in line with Deloused, Frances, and Amputechture.
yeah, otherwise i ain't even interested tbh

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #608 on: May 26, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
Here's another tweet by Cedric, in the form of a picture. I guess this makes it official then. :)

https://twitter.com/cedricbixler_/status/1132678925539090432

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #609 on: May 26, 2019, 06:24:55 PM »
Whatever form this takes, I'm here for it. Hard not to be at least a little excited considering they are one of my favorite bands of all time. Every album they've put out has been at the very least pretty good (yes, even Octahedron).

Now, considering the passing of Ikey, I wonder how this is actually going to pan out. Either way, im definitely keeping my eyes out for this.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #610 on: May 26, 2019, 07:47:17 PM »
Octahedron wasn't even the worst. That award goes to the steaming pile that was Bedlam in Goliath  :tdwn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #611 on: May 26, 2019, 08:21:22 PM »
Octahedron wasn't even the worst. That award goes to the steaming pile that was Bedlam in Goliath  :tdwn

:tup I freaking love the first half of Octahedron. It's like a 1-2-3-4 punch of greatness.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #612 on: May 26, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »
Now, considering the passing of Ikey, I wonder how this is actually going to pan out. Either way, im definitely keeping my eyes out for this.
You know Ikey wasn't a member towards the end of the band's lifetime, right? For all we know, they could be planning to return with the Noctourniquet line-up.

By the way, I just noticed Cedric deleted some of these recent posts earlier today.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #613 on: May 26, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »
yeah bedlam is nigh-unlistenable. the last album whaetver it was called wasn't much better. octahedron's fine, just a bit dull iirc

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #614 on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
Hot take: Bedlam in Goliath is their 3rd best. So much of that album is pure fire.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #615 on: May 26, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
if it could get remixed and remastered, I might agree with you.

The songwriting is really good on Bedlam, but most of it is still unlistenable for me due to hot production and mixing.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #616 on: May 26, 2019, 11:13:52 PM »
Yeah, there are definitely spots where the constant clipping and overall compression are a bit much. I won't lie though, there are some tracks that are so wild and face melting I just turn up the volume and don't care sometimes. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #617 on: May 26, 2019, 11:20:04 PM »
Ranking time!!!

1. Frances the Mute
2. Amputechture

3. Deloused in the Comatorium
4. Bedlam In Goliath
5. Noctourniquet

6. Octahedron

Noctourniquet was such a big grower, for me all except Octahedron have the ‘masterpiece’ status. One of my favourite / probably my favourite band of all time
I’m not sure how I feel about the thought of a reunion.. I feel like if the magic is gone it might just sound like Antemasque which was pretty boring in comparison

Re: Bedlam That’s such a manic and unique album in their discography, I looove how crazy/reckless it sounds, and towards the end it’s just trippy/psychedelic to the max. On the odd day that could beat Deloused and crack the top 3 for me
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #618 on: May 27, 2019, 05:55:33 AM »
1. Deloused in the Comatorium
2. Frances the Mute
3. The Bedlam in Goliath
4. Amputechture
5. Noctourniquet
6. Octahedron

In only 6 records, I love how pretty much each one scratches a very different musical itch than the next for me, part of what keeps me coming back to their discography no matter what. It took me a while to come around to Noctourniquet as well, but when it clicked for me, it definitely clicked. I like Octahedron well enough for sure, and it has its place in their catalog that stands out, but it does lack the memorability that all their albums have in spades of, if only just a bit.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #619 on: May 27, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »

In only 6 records, I love how pretty much each one scratches a very different musical itch than the next for me, part of what keeps me coming back to their discography no matter what.

And this is why it's impossible for me to rank their albums, any given album could be my number one on any given day (except for Noctourniquet, though it has some Great songs as well). I for one love both Bedlam and Octahedron to bits!

Wow, interesting to see what they come up with if there's new music in the making.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »
bump.

very sad news, Bassist Juan Aldrete was in a bike accident and is suffering from a Brain injury  :'(

https://www.facebook.com/JuanAldereteBass/photos/a.146765125457270/1817890465011386/?type=3&theater

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #621 on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »
bump.

very sad news, Bassist Juan Aldrete was in a bike accident and is suffering from a Brain injury  :'(

https://www.facebook.com/JuanAldereteBass/photos/a.146765125457270/1817890465011386/?type=3&theater

I literally just saw this thanks to Paul Gilbert and Racer X doing something to raise money for Juan. They now had a GoFundMe for his medical expenses.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/fundraiser-juan-alderete-brain-injury
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #623 on: March 05, 2021, 02:06:00 AM »
Looks like is a huge vinyl boxset, not a new album.

Who knows, if this sells well maybe they'd release a new album. We can only hope.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #624 on: March 05, 2021, 03:48:11 AM »
It's 18 LPs in a huge box (I would have to know the format of this box and if it will fit on my shelf). But it's like 500 bucks  :omg: I hope they rerelease the albums one by one as well.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2021, 03:51:04 AM »
It's 18 LPs in a huge box (I would have to know the format of this box and if it will fit on my shelf). But it's like 500 bucks  :omg: I hope they rerelease the albums one by one as well.

Yea same. I'm not fussed about owning everything on vinyl and I'm certainly not in a position to spend $500 on it! Not without compromising my marriage  :lol

They may wait a good year before selling individually though. I only want Deloused and Frances.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2021, 08:23:14 AM »
I might be captain obvious saying that this is just too expensive, but 18 LPs costing 500 bucks, that means every single LP costs around 27 dollars. Frances The Mute has 3LPs, so basically, that album alone would cost over 80 dollars. A 2LP album is pretty standard nowadays and usually costs somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks. Here, every 2LP set would be over 50 dollars. Sorry, but nah. There are a bunch of other boxsets that I have yet to purchase. I haven't even bought the Steven Wilson remixes of the classic YES albums, and that one was reasonably priced.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
https://us.cloudshillshop.com/collections/new-upcoming-releases/products/the-mars-volta-la-realidad-de-los-suenos-vinyl-box-set

April 23rd - La Realidad De Los Sueños

US STORE NOW SOLD OUT!

lol. Only 5,000 copies and a rabid fanbase, can't be too surprised.

Let's hope they come to their senses and issue at least all the proper studio records individually at an affordable price; although I wonder Cedric and Omar like how rare/unique and collector's item-like their vinyl records are, they may not want to.

But that only encourages more Unauthorized/Bootleg pressings like the 1 I bought of Frances a few years ago (not realizing it was unauthorized at the time).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »
Wow, already sold out. I'm not used to that in prog  :lol Sometimes prog bands issue vinyl versions limited to 100 and they can still be bought months after their release for 25 euros at the official store.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
Wow, already sold out. I'm not used to that in prog  :lol Sometimes prog bands issue vinyl versions limited to 100 and they can still be bought months after their release for 25 euros at the official store.

TMV may be prog, but they are also a crossover band, they have had some mainstream success, the band's origins come from a totally different scene, and their fan base goes beyond prog circles.